Poll - Wines or Toumpas

tonatopia

Wines or Toumpas  

301 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

the fact that Toumpas said "I'd love to stay at home in Adelaide" would concern me in a couple of years... its Wines for me

This always worries me. We all get excited about the first pick, then he nicks off. But now with free agency and players sniffing around for more $$$. It really doesn't matter anymore.

We need MFC to be one of the big clubs, so that players want to come to us, not us trying our best to hold them.

So in that regard I'd say Toumpas. He just looks so classy. Use him as much as we can for the 2 years, as we'd have more chance of him staying, feeling part of the whole rise, then baby him and screw his development.

Actually, that does matter.

It matters plenty.

For the amount of Greeks in Australia, they havnt bred many good footballers. Especially when you compare the per/capita ratio against the Irish, Italians, Maltese and Croatians.

Nb. Koutafides had an Italian mother.

You want to factor nationality profiling into your draft decision - now I have heard everything. Probably a good reason why we didnt take NikNat, what with his bloodlines. (sheesh)

Daicos was Macedonian.

There are 1/3 the number of Croatians in Australia, yet they produce players like; Pavlich, Sumich, Allen Jakovich, Glen Jakovich, Didak, Gasper, Scott Watters, Starcevich, Mathew Richardson, Sam Kekovich, Tony Modra.

180,000 Greeks immigrated to Australia, after breeding, now there is around 300,000, for very little return in regards to decent footballers. I wonder if it is something about their temperament.

Put it this way, if we were to draft Jimmy 'the Greek' Toumpas, he better develop to be the best Greek footballer that has ever played AFL.

Croatians take to ball sports like ducks to water, for a small population (approx. 4 million) they have produced a lot of quality soccer and tennis players. In addition to the AFL players mentioned many of Australia's past and present international sportsman are of Croatian lineage; Andrew Bogut, Mark Viduka, Jason Culina, Mark Bosnich, Ned Zelic, Simon Katich, Bernard Tomich. Pretty impressive considering Croatian Australians make up only about .6% of our population.

Anyway back to Toumpas or Wines, the best way to build a culture is to inject leaders into the club. Of recent times we have been devoid of leaders resulting in Melbourne appointing the second youngest AFL captain ever, a blight on all senior Melbourne players as much as it is a credit to Trengove. One of the few things Toumpas and Wines share is that they have both been captains in their junior football, Wines captained Bendigo Pioneers whilst Toumpas captained South Australia. If whoever we pick can make the transition to being a leader at an AFL club, with the addition of Viney, Clark, Dawes also being strong characters, the Melbourne Football club shouldn't be facing a shortage of captain applicants.

For some reason, I think Wines will have a hunger similar to Ben Cousins, but a brute toughness like Dustin Martin.

But on the other hand, Toumpas reminds me of Darren Jarmen.

Balls or class?

That is the question.

What a wonderful problem to have.

Hey Tonatopia, you do remember what happened with Darren Jarmen yes??

Daicos was Macedonian.

There are 1/3 the number of Croatians in Australia, yet they produce players like; Pavlich, Sumich, Allen Jakovich, Glen Jakovich, Didak, Gasper, Scott Watters, Starcevich, Mathew Richardson, Sam Kekovich, Tony Modra.

180,000 Greeks immigrated to Australia, after breeding, now there is around 300,000, for very little return in regards to decent footballers. I wonder if it is something about their temperament.

Put it this way, if we were to draft Jimmy 'the Greek' Toumpas, he better develop to be the best Greek footballer that has ever played AFL.

Dont know what your problem with Greeks is - but Peter Daicos was Greek mate.

Guest José Mourinho

It's times like this I wish I didn't have tonatopia on ignore, cos I ran the risk of missing these hilarious posts.

Racial profiling relevant to drafting? You're a damn fool.

• Like 3

Article in today's Hun;

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/demons-deny-jack-viney-his-dream-as-they-opt-for-late-change-with-jimmy-toumpas-in-draft-selection/story-e6frf9jf-1226520611578

Is that right that Toumpas was a star in the SANFL GF last year? Pretty impressive effort if that's the case.

For the 2nd half of this year I hoped that we would get Toumpas, but that was based on nothing other than watching the U18 championships.

I find it strange how the media are treating Viney and Wines as though they are siamese twins.

Actually, that does matter.

It matters plenty.

For the amount of Greeks in Australia, they havnt bred many good footballers. Especially when you compare the per/capita ratio against the Irish, Italians, Maltese and Croatians.

Nb. Koutafides had an Italian mother.

Shocking post. Bet a team full of Matty bate/Sam Blease looking red heads would please you?

• Like 1

I'd take Wines for his inside midfield grunt and NO go home factor.

Toumpas in his own words on Youtube yesterday,is an outside mid,albeit classy and is a good finisher.

So we'd have 2 JT/SA captains on a wing each when we need as much hard,tough,midfield grunt as we can get.

Pick 4 better be Ollie Wines.

But this will be very interesting as our recruiters didn't expect Toumpas to be available thinking it would be Whitfield,Brody,Toumpas. and we'd take Wines.

We went through this exact scenario 3 years ago in deciding between a claasy outside SA mid (Trengove) and a hard,tough inside stay at home mid in Martin,

I'd take a hard,tough inside stay home mid over a classy outside go home factor mid anyday of the week.

I find it strange how the media are treating Viney and Wines as though they are siamese twins.

and yet when Viney was interviewed earlier and asked who we should take with our first pick the name he mentioned was Toumpas...go figure

Article in today's Hun;

http://www.heraldsun...f-1226520611578

Is that right that Toumpas was a star in the SANFL GF last year? Pretty impressive effort if that's the case.

For the 2nd half of this year I hoped that we would get Toumpas, but that was based on nothing other than watching the U18 championships.

He was a star in the finals series last year and still had another year of underage football ahead of him, this is what annoys me when people consider him a soft outside player not ready to step up to AFL. The kid has been playing against men for at least the last 2 years, you don't do that if you are soft and purely an outside player. He will be ready to go from day one, he's not Whitfield playing against kids he's been playing against men.

Talking about him to my mate in Adelaide this morning we both can't figure why GWS would't take him, I'm not convinced they won't unless as some have said there has been a deal in relation to the Hogan selection.

• Like 1

I don't think any deal has been done.....I believe MFC assumed that Toumpas would go in the first three and were very happy to take Wines....Now with rumours flying around left ,right and centre they have had to consider Toumpas/Wines....probably a good problem to have....

Guest Deemand

Wouldnt it be nice to be assured that whoever we take at pick 4 (Toumpas or Wines) that it won't matter has our FD will turn either into a future star and not turn out like the others did who we delisted this year. I think it's promising that the FD have brought in older mature guys to mentor our up and coming talent. Hopefully we have finally learn't something. As a Demons supporter its hard not to get nervous at this time of year, with our past selections!. I love the fact that Viney snr is our head recruiter now, he should be happy to pick the toughest and talented kids!.

My only concern is that if we went for Wines, that would mean then we'd have Wines, Viney and Jones in the guts - Tough midfield, but is it fast enough in the modern game?

Most teams have up to 10 players going through the midfield now.....It would be handy to have at least one or two tough midfielders at the one time...all the time.....Sounds good to me...

Guest NoMoreMrNiceGuy

I posted this in the Toumpas thread but looks like it needs to be posted here, too.

Toumpas will be a Demon. Have it on good authority though can't post my source (a football club insider, not a journo).

• Like 2

I posted this in the Toumpas thread but looks like it needs to be posted here, too.

Toumpas will be a Demon. Have it on good authority though can't post my source (a football club insider, not a journo).

So he knows what GWS are doing?????

The Dees and GWS came to - shall we say - an 'arrangement'.

Ah ..So we now have draft tampering....We really need that...
  • Like 1

Guest NoMoreMrNiceGuy

you would think the club would be a little more tight lipped with secrets after recent events

Ah ..So we now have draft tampering....We really need that...

It is what it is. Nothing's on paper, everyone's happy.