And another one bites the dust - Cook

Demon Disciple

Jaded this is not a go at you but I am really tired of the "did not develop" argument.

It is trotted out for every draft failure.

The New FD has had 12 months with Cook.

They have made their decision based on the facts they see close up.

It confirms my opinion and numerous others.

The kid is struggling to be Casey standard.

There are plenty of failures in high draft picks.

EG Thorpe at Hawthorn, high draft pick. The hawks could not "develop" him and were is he now?

It is not always " failure to develop a player"

Some do not make it from Juniors to AFL level.

Poor Choice lets get on with it.

If other clubs are interested in Cook, they obviously see something in him and back themselves to develop him.

I'm not saying he'll end up a great player, but Neeld came in last year and insisted on keeping Bate, obviously backing himself to develop him into something worthwhile.

Neeld was wrong, but kudos to him for at least trying. I worry that he sees no redeeming feature in a pick 12 who has been in the system for just 2 years. We've given bigger duds more of a go.

Oh and Mitch Thorp didn't fail to develop, he was a [censored] with massive off field issues.

• Like 1

Cook is a footballer but needs to work hard to get fitter, stronger etc.

Have seen him play for Casey. He can take a mark, good decision maker and good kick.

All of that counts for little if he does not have the work ethic needed to turn himself into a senior AFL footballer.

Neeld has my full support if he is getting rid of players who don't want to work hard to improve.

• Like 1

I am a bit surprised by Cook's delisting because his work rate and gut running during Casey Games were of a high standard and Neel likes effort. But on Sunday at Casey Fields I was lining up to get a coffee, and in front of me were Brian Royal and Aaron Greaves - the two midfield coaches. They were talking about Lucas Cook and how he continually ran himself into the right position, but didn't have the nouse to use his height or position to take the mark, and it was frustrating the coaching staff.

I will be super mad if we get rid of Gysberts. We lack class in close and he has bags of it.

If other clubs are interested in Cook, they obviously see something in him and back themselves to develop him.

I'm not saying he'll end up a great player, but Neeld came in last year and insisted on keeping Bate, obviously backing himself to develop him into something worthwhile.

Neeld was wrong, but kudos to him for at least trying. I worry that he sees no redeeming feature in a pick 12 who has been in the system for just 2 years. We've given bigger duds more of a go.

Oh and Mitch Thorp didn't fail to develop, he was a [censored] with massive off field issues.

Thorpe might not be a good example, the point I was trying to make is quite often players do not develop beyond their junior days no matter how much effort is put into them.

Jaded I am not sure that the article in today's Hun says there are a number of clubs interested now.

It may mean at the time of his drafting.

Just a though as it does not read correctly in my opinion.

I am a bit surprised by Cook's delisting because his work rate and gut running during Casey Games were of a high standard and Neel likes effort. But on Sunday at Casey Fields I was lining up to get a coffee, and in front of me were Brian Royal and Aaron Greaves - the two midfield coaches. They were talking about Lucas Cook and how he continually ran himself into the right position, but didn't have the nouse to use his height or position to take the mark, and it was frustrating the coaching staff.

I will be super mad if we get rid of Gysberts. We lack class in close and he has bags of it.

The down side is he is just as skinny as the day he was drafted

I dont want to lose Gysberts!!!! Has a lot of potential and has had a bad yr with injury. Surely he warrants at least 1 more yr Neeldy......

By the right price, i mean a early to mid 2nd rounder.

I highly doubt we would offload him for anything less

The other aspect is that Neeld knows he can really put the broom through right now. He doesnt strike me as a hoarder. If the FD cant see much of a future in someone , nows as good a time as ever, especially whilst some club(s) might think theres still something in a player to look at. Better to put him up now than when clubs KNOW theres nothing.

You can tell theres a lot of players at the club who simply wouldnt have been drafted had mark had any input. He has input now...theyre going !!

• Like 1

The other aspect is that Neeld knows he can really put the broom through right now. He doesnt strike me as a hoarder. If the FD cant see much of a future in someone , nows as good a time as ever, especially whilst some club(s) might think theres still something in a player to look at. Better to put him up now than when clubs KNOW theres nothing.

You can tell theres a lot of players at the club who simply wouldnt have been drafted had mark had any input. He has input now...theyre going !!

As well BB Neeld's future depends on it.

If there is little improvement by the end of 2013 the knives will be out fairly or not.

He has another 1.5 seasons to show some improvement at the MFC or his senior coaching days are over.

Action now is the only choice.

God I hoep the FD knows what they are doing.

Not that we have much choice but to support them

If there is little improvement by the end of 2013 the knives will be out fairly or not.

He has another 1.5 seasons to show some improvement at the MFC or his senior coaching days are over.

Yep and holding onto players like Cook does not = action.

• Like 1

Well we won't die wondering like with Bate, Dunn, Miller etc on the list until they have no value. Cook and Gysberts shave trade value now and if we don't value them then we should access it.

• Like 2

Guest bluey

I think you may be over stating the circumstance old timer.

If Neeld for example loses the first 8 games, and there is every indication of that, considering the experienced departures, he will be done, no way will the club stick fat for another two years of losing.

I can understand Cook's delisting, hasn't shown any promise since he was drafted, if it's true about Gysberts then I'd be a bit surprised, given his injuries he's had this year.

Another pre-season under Neeld/Misson and he might start showing some of that form from when he was first drafted.

• Like 1

If Neeld for example loses the first 8 games, and there is every indication of that, considering the experienced departures, he will be done, no way will the club stick fat for another two years of losing.

god you talk sh!t
  • Like 2

Neeld has had a year to work out the lie of the land.

We've already seen in the last draft what Neeld value highly when he drafted Taggert, Tynan and Sellar - hardness and athleticism. In other words, the ability to compete.

Cook is a wonderfully skilled player who makes great decisions when you deliver him the ball. The problem is that he's slow and not a physically dominant player. Not a good combo because it means that you have a lot of trouble competing. Gysberts has some of the best inside hands I've seen at Melbourne for a while, but is not athletic at all. It just means that he struggles to spread and struggles to get to contests and compete - which is important for Neeld.

Compare that with him wanting to keep Bate - strong and a really good runner. Neeld just found out, after coaching him, that he wasn't good enough. But there was a definite reason why he kept him.

• Like 9

I think bluey that the club will give him his full 3 years and then make a decision.

I expect next year to be bleak with so many new faces and at the beginning of a rebuild. I don't expect we'll pick up much experienced talent this draft

To axe him next year would just be too much turmoil and given that the board has given him the ok to wield the axe not enough time to measure progress

I expect many will be calling for blood next year but he will see out at least his contracted 3 years

End of 2014 will be a MFC watershed and not just for the coach

• Like 3

I'm no fan of Lucas Cook, but all this means is that we are going to get lumped with a bunch of confirmed duds for another 1 - 2 years (Bennell, Jetta, Strauss, etc), instead of backing ourselves in to develop Lucas into a decent player.

So far we have ditched / lost our 2011 B&F, 2011 leading goalkicker, 2010 B&F, and 2010 No.1 draft pick. When do we start tackling those who have no ability whatsoever?

As for Gysberts, it would be an absolute disgrace if we let him go for anything less than a first round pick.

This is a classic example of a 'reach' at the drafting table. He was never up to first round quality but there was pressure to get a big forward for the team rather than draft the best available player, which was one of Jacobs, Atley or Smedts. If only Gold Coast could have let Tom Lynch fall one place later we would have got an absolute beauty.

Andrew Gaff,

Koby Stevens,

Ben Jacobs,

Aaron Cornelius,

Jarred Moore,

Jack Viney,

Paul Marschall,

Jake Neade,

Khan Haretuku

That's who I'm hoping our replacements will be.

Gaff re-signed with WCE months ago TD.

Would be great to have a player like him at the club though.

The problem with much of our drafting over the years is we sometimes tried to get cute, or creative all at the expense of sufficient meat and potato players.

They stuffed up with Cook

• Like 1

Who Cook? He's put on 10kg since arriving at the club. Dont beleive what you read on the clubs website. Anyone hes gone, I know you hate him old dee but the kid has potential, will be a player elsewhere.

I don't hate him at all. I don't know the kid and all i hear is he is a nice guy.

I am just staing the obvious HG.

In his second year at the club he cannot get a regular game in Casey Firsts, not one vote in either the VFL seniors or Reserves.

The MFC FD has spoken if they don't know who does.

The club has put their faith in this group so by proxy we have to support them until proven otherwise wrong.

Why do you think I hate him?

I get no joy from the fact another high draft pick has gone down the Loo