It is time to get over it.

Jerry Lundergard

I have decided that we must now move on as a club and supporter base form our want of getting a higher draft pick, or a 2nd round pick instead of a first for Viney or worrying about a win because we may move down a spot in the draft.

Seriously, we need to get over it, play to win and accept wherever the cards fall in terms of our draft picks.

We have a pick 3 who has struggled to string 3 good games together in almost 10 seasons, a No.1 who we drafted as our forward saviour who is now playing as a backmen, a No.4 who struggles to get a game and a no.11 who played in the Casey reserves yesterday.

For every Judd, Pendlebury and Cotchin, there is a Simon Black, Mitchell and a Swan.

For every Hawthorn premiership model, there is a Sydney one.

For every Cale Morton and Lucas Cook, there is a Mitch Thorp and Beau Dowler.

For every Nic Natannui, there is a Dean Cox.

I couldn't care less if we are made to pick up Viney at No.3, sure experts may not rate him that high, but neither do they rate him in the 20's either. It appears we have already received overs for the Scully defection anyway. If clubs want to bid early for him in an effort to force our hand, then so be it. They will have it returned with interest somewhere down the track.

Maybe if we stopped being so preoccupied with what draft picks we end up with and how high they may or may not be, we may actually have a bit of luck fall our way, and we may look back in 5 years time and see that Viney was the best player in the draft, or that we had the clubs greatest draft ever.

Carlton felt the full force of the Karma Bus last night and we have been on it for the last 4 or 5 years, it's now time to hop off it.

These are not views I have always shared or believed in, but now do.

• Like 5

Quality early draft picks are genuinely gold if you choose wisely. The fact that we've stuffed up plenty doesn't change that.

Talent generally comes to the club via the draft, there's the odd exception such as Mitch Clark. Talent and leadership wins flags. Obviously development is really important too. The best talent with great development leads to A graders and the odd star.

Just get the picks right.

• Like 3

I want our recruiters the maximise their opportunities this post-season. The way to achieve this and avoid F/S bidding mind games is to trade pick 3 for Hogan.

It's a small sacrifice to make in the interim. It may be unders but I'd rather risk it on a power forward prodigy than a midfield one.

The equation is simple.

"Accept wherever the cards fall ..." - get reamed by GWS, take Viney at 3 and finish with a trio of top-15 draftees OR remove all doubt of F/S bidding and have four top-15 draftees. That's one more than three, for those of you playing at home.

Play to win, right Jerry?

• Like 2

We have a pick 3 who has struggled to string 3 good games together in almost 10 seasons, a No.1 who we drafted as our forward saviour who is now playing as a backmen, a No.4 who struggles to get a game and a no.11 who played in the Casey reserves yesterday.

You have highlighted the exact reason why we need to maximise the numbers of shots we have at the target. I find this contradicts your argument.

Quality early draft picks are genuinely gold if you choose wisely. The fact that we've stuffed up plenty doesn't change that.

Talent generally comes to the club via the draft, there's the odd exception such as Mitch Clark. Talent and leadership wins flags. Obviously development is really important too. The best talent with great development leads to A graders and the odd star.

Just get the picks right.

There are a lot of Generation Y and Z kids that are duds as far as integrity goes-thats just part of life.

Pity we cant give them intense psychological screening to see how they handle adversity. Most of them just ring mum when times get tough.

You have highlighted the exact reason why we need to maximise the numbers of shots we have at the target. I find this contradicts your argument.

Actually, the point of the my post is the obsession with an extra pick in the draft, or a slightly higher pick will somehow lead our club from the bottom of the ladder is futile, and ultimately something we need to get over.

Try to remember back to when we tanked to get the priority pick, and how that draft was going to set our club up for the next decade. It was a load of BS.

Actually, the point of the my post is the obsession with an extra pick in the draft, or a slightly higher pick will somehow lead our club from the bottom of the ladder is futile, and ultimately something we need to get over.

Try to remember back to when we tanked to get the priority pick, and how that draft was going to set our club up for the next decade. It was a load of BS.

I can understand the reasoning regarding a slightly higher pick however to lose an extra elite selection if Viney is taken first rather than second round could be the difference between us landing an elite player or not. As you have highlighted we dont have a good track record so Viney plus 2 picks in the first round vs Viney plus 3 in the first round could be the difference. High selections dont guarantee elite talent but they certainly improve your chances.

To be clear I will enjoy a win today if it occurs and I dont want to see us tank but I would prefer a hard fought loss rather than go ahead of the dogs. I also look forward to never having to think this way again after this season.

• Like 4

Guest KingDingAling

I like the idea of pick 3 for Hogan, providing GC are bidding on Martin - which there have been whispers about for a while now.

GWS will allow us to take Viney in the second round if they are getting pick 3 for Hogan - as they won't get a better deal than that.

If GWS play their cards right, they'll have picks 1,2,3 in the draft, we'll have 4 and get Viney in the second round.

Win/Win for everyone, we just need GC to bid on Martin.

Crap OP.

Stats say you stand a better chance getting the guns at the pointy of the draft.

You need guns to be competitive, let alone win a flag.

Pick the best available at our pick. End of story.

You show me all the top 20 draft picks on the Crows list that just smashed us tonight, and compare it with ours, and then try to mount that argument again.

Edited by Jerry Lundergard

Guest Rassilon

Crap OP.

Stats say you stand a better chance getting the guns at the pointy of the draft.

You need guns to be competitive, let alone win a flag.

Pick the best available at our pick. End of story.

Can you please share these stats that conclusively prove your point.

Please define Guns. Please define best available based on what criteria? What selection pool are you drawing these best available from ie TAC Cup, other clubs, other leagues.

Looking-forward to your reply and hoping your are not confusing your opinion with the real facts.

Thank-you in advance we are all here to learn.

Can you please share these stats that conclusively prove your point.

Please define Guns. Please define best available based on what criteria? What selection pool are you drawing these best available from ie TAC Cup, other clubs, other leagues.

Looking-forward to your reply and hoping your are not confusing your opinion with the real facts.

Thank-you in advance we are all here to learn.

Ignorance deserves no reply Rassilon.

Facts are that a draft number is just that, a number. What was it that Ron Barassi said about 'Natural talent is nothing to be proud of. It came from the eye....' and I will stop there so I don't run up any warning points. Getting the high draft picks is great. What you do with them and the culture they walk in to is more important.

Guest Rassilon

Sydney's recruiters tend to suggest that the talent often seems to come ouf of the pick 6 to pick 16

Hard to argue that picks 6-16 are not the "sweet-point" in a draft.

However, is that because they are the "best" kids or are they going into the best clubs/systems who are best resourced to get the most out of those picks.

Guest Rassilon

I have decided that we must now move on as a club and supporter base form our want of getting a higher draft pick, or a 2nd round pick instead of a first for Viney or worrying about a win because we may move down a spot in the draft.

Seriously, we need to get over it, play to win and accept wherever the cards fall in terms of our draft picks.

For every Judd, Pendlebury and Cotchin, there is a Simon Black, Mitchell and a Swan.

For every Hawthorn premiership model, there is a Sydney one.

For every Cale Morton and Lucas Cook, there is a Mitch Thorp and Beau Dowler.

For every Nic Natannui, there is a Dean Cox.

I couldn't care less if we are made to pick up Viney at No.3, sure experts may not rate him that high, but neither do they rate him in the 20's either. It appears we have already received overs for the Scully defection anyway. If clubs want to bid early for him in an effort to force our hand, then so be it. They will have it returned with interest somewhere down the track.

Maybe if we stopped being so preoccupied with what draft picks we end up with and how high they may or may not be, we may actually have a bit of luck fall our way, and we may look back in 5 years time and see that Viney was the best player in the draft, or that we had the clubs greatest draft ever.

Carlton felt the full force of the Karma Bus last night and we have been on it for the last 4 or 5 years, it's now time to hop off it.

These are not views I have always shared or believed in, but now do.

Nice post. This could easily be our best draft ever. Our club has moved on from the mistakes of the past. Elite systems produce elite players and we are working our butts off to provide our kids elite systems.

Aggressive trading and drafting is our new priorities. We are watching and learning from the best Pelchen, Hartley, Beatson, Hine etc

I share your optimism. But there will be little or less luck and more hard disciplined work if we are to get there.