• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Are we preparing to give up our draft picks?

Hampton 22

We're all looking forward to getting some great young talent with all our first round picks at the end of the year. The right thing for the Dees is to take all these high draft picks and build a team for that elusive Premiership window, which might open in 4-5 years.

But here's my concern. A coach with just a couple of years left on his contract doesn't have the luxury of a gradual build. Instead, he may feel that his career depends on a relatively quick rise up to mid-ladder level. You achieve this with a short-term fix: trade away the early picks for some experienced players who will help win games in the next couple of years. These players are unlikely to still be firing come Premiership window time, but they may just get a coach another contract at Melbourne or elsewhere. 

I will be really peeved if Melbourne trades away our vital, hard-won picks in 2012. Arguably doing that will cost us any chance of a Premiership in the next decade. I fear that trading picks is exactly what the club is preparing to do right now.

How have using high draft picks paid off anytime in the last 10 years for us?

I accept logically eventually the laws of probability say we might get lucky but high end drafting hasn't proved to be the panacea many thought.

That said to get some young talent is always exciting as its the unknown.

How many more years can we invest and wait for young talent that may never deliver.

We're all looking forward to getting some great young talent with all our first round picks at the end of the year. The right thing for the Dees is to take all these high draft picks and build a team for that elusive Premiership window, which might open in 4-5 years.

But here's my concern. A coach with just a couple of years left on his contract doesn't have the luxury of a gradual build. Instead, he may feel that his career depends on a relatively quick rise up to mid-ladder level. You achieve this with a short-term fix: trade away the early picks for some experienced players who will help win games in the next couple of years. These players are unlikely to still be firing come Premiership window time, but they may just get a coach another contract at Melbourne or elsewhere.

I will be really peeved if Melbourne trades away our vital, hard-won picks in 2012. Arguably doing that will cost us any chance of a Premiership in the next decade. I fear that trading picks is exactly what the club is preparing to do right now.

How would trading a pick away for a 20-25 year old proven player damage our chances of a flag? Especially if that pick is a very high one (3,4,12) you would imagine we would receive a pretty good player (Boak,Beams) in return.

How have using high draft picks paid off anytime in the last 10 years for us?

I accept logically eventually the laws of probability say we might get lucky but high end drafting hasn't proved to be the panacea many thought.

That said to get some young talent is always exciting as its the unknown.

How many more years can we invest and wait for young talent that may never deliver.

It's NOT the picks fault, it's the recruiting & then the lacking development/culture...

How would trading a pick away for a 20-25 year old proven player damage our chances of a flag? Especially if that pick is a very high one (3,4,12) you would imagine we would receive a pretty good player (Boak,Beams) in return.

I'm not sure who is out there, I think Beams is probably locked away and not convinced of his worth for a first rounder yet (struggled with a tag on the weekend, but still learning the game). Are either Caddy or Boak worth it against what is in the draft? don't know. Every year you see young draft prospects likened to current champions and this year is no exception, Stringer/ Pavlich is one example well if he is then I wouldn't be trading him for Beams, Boak or Caddy but as we know the drafting and development process is not that simple.

If we get the chance to pick up a player (Under 25yo, at the right money) who looks the goods then we have a good look at it. I just don't want us to pay overs for a messiah, it doesn't work.

We need experience...Draft picks have got us nowhere.

We need top quality players to build a side around...if that comes through the draft so be it.

Guest José Mourinho

What do all stars playing today have in common?

They were all drafted.

And what does the overwhelming majority of those players have in common?

They are still with the team that drafted them.

I'm all for bringing in mature players, but not at the cost of high picks that give you a great CHANCE at picking up a star.

Very few are selected late, and they are what we need more than anything.

Top 10 picks don't get traded unless you are getting a certain established star in return, and in those cases they often cost more than just a top 10 pick.

• Like 4

But here's my concern. A coach with just a couple of years left on his contract doesn't have the luxury of a gradual build. Instead, he may feel that his career depends on a relatively quick rise up to mid-ladder level. You achieve this with a short-term fix: trade away the early picks for some experienced players who will help win games in the next couple of years. These players are unlikely to still be firing come Premiership window time, but they may just get a coach another contract at Melbourne or elsewhere.

Just like Sydney Swans.

I would take Mitch Clark everyday instead of heroin pick 12. Mumford, Kenedy, mattner to name a few at the swans. I am sick of kids only. Get with second round, get another top 5 then consider using other picks for talent which is mature an can help the draftees grow into players they have potential to be. Go hard at free agent as well, that only costs cash.

We would be mad to give up pick 4 for a B grader in Boak. And that's what he is. A good player. Not a great one.

We must back ourselves to pull a Hawthorn (Franklin and Roughead) or a Collingwood (Pendlebury and Thomas) in this draft with our two top 5 picks.

I for one will be very disheartened if we don't go down that path.

Offer Port Pick 12 and a half decent player like Tapscott. It'll hurt, but not nearly as much as it will seeing the next Pavlich or Judd running around for another club for the next ten years, when they could have, should have been running around for us.

• Like 4

Guest José Mourinho

Those deals are few and far between.

Not many realised the bargain we were getting with Clark when we traded for him.

Even his former coach doubted his ability to make the impact that he has.

12 in last year's draft does not equal 12 in this year's, and we were fortunate enough to be able to offer that pick to trump Freo who were low-balling, and many other clubs probably simply didn't bother getting involved as they thought MC wouldn't agree to a different destination, and the "juice wasn't worth the squeeze".

Would you offer our pick 12 this year for Shaun Hampson?

(his missus notwithstanding...)

We would be mad to give up pick 4 for a B grader in Boak. And that's what he is. A good player. Not a great one.

We must back ourselves to pull a Hawthorn (Franklin and Roughead) or a Collingwood (Pendlebury and Thomas) in this draft with our two top 5 picks.

Offer Port Pick 12 and a half decent player like Tapscott. It'll hurt, but not nearly as much as it will seeing the next Pavlich or Judd running around for another club for the next ten years, when they could have, should have been running around for us.

RR, you're not a big wrap for Tapscott, I gather? Or is he trade bait?

Guest José Mourinho

I'd also offer Tapscott.

While I love his hardness and kicking, I think he lacks the required agility, and that is the number 1 athletic attribute I see really successful AFL players needing these days (along with cleanliness with the footy being the number 1 skill required).

Very few get away without having it, beyond being a bog standard AFL player.

It hurts Moloney, and from what I can see, Tapscott has the same affliction - it could be a result of his hip injuries, but on exposed form I think he struggles here.

You never want to give away a player you like, and lots of supporters love him, but to get a player like Boak, you simply have to.

And the reality is that Tapscott is a fringe player.

• Like 3

It hurts Moloney, and from what I can see, Tapscott has the same affliction

Oh here we go.... Somehow you manage to bring up your pet hate in EVERY thread you comment in.

Pretty over it mate, wish you would get over it too.

RR, you're not a big wrap for Tapscott, I gather? Or is he trade bait?

It's not really about not being a big wrap for him. It's about being realistic and acknowledging that several scenarios may play out, one of which could be Port asking for a player to get the pick 12 deal done.

They won't accept one of our duds, as much as we'd like them to.

I'd also offer Tapscott.

While I love his hardness and kicking, I think he lacks the required agility, and that is the number 1 athletic attribute I see really successful AFL players needing these days (along with cleanliness with the footy being the number 1 skill required).

Very few get away without having it, beyond being a bog standard AFL player.

It hurts Moloney, and from what I can see, Tapscott has the same affliction - it could be a result of his hip injuries, but on exposed form I think he struggles here.

You never want to give away a player you like, and lots of supporters love him, but to get a player like Boak, you simply have to.

And the reality is that Tapscott is a fringe player.

Agree with your assessment. I don't see Tapscott's 'ceiling' being too high as a player.

I'd trade any pick for the RIGHT price.

Geez some of you guys are acting like draft picks are the reason we play! We play to WIN games not get the highest draft pick we can....

You actually hit upon a vein of thought ive had for a while. Some seem to think its not actuallyabout footy, not actually about winning its another game entirely. Weve had it wrong. Its a new age collectors game and the prizes are draft picks and adding to a pile of "potential" stars. Of formig the best 'papaer; team that might be possibly a world beater in 3-6 years as they develop according to their draft-blurbs.

We arent winning now but by crikey we might have a really decent team in a few years time if these guys come on. And as soon as a few spuds and duds rear their ugly heads its back to the drawing board and trawling for new 'potential stars' via these golden picks.

One day.....one day...... but not now is the mantra of these football followers.

Heres the thing. Draft picks are like money. They are totally useless unless used wisely and timely. Some people make fortunes from a $100 , some go pauper having had millions. Money/picks..... they are a means to an end..they are tools of trade.

A lot of people need to stop thinking this is some sort of competition whereby the team with the most picks wins.

The team with biggger score at teh end of 4 qtrs is the winner in footy. Thats all we need to concentrate on and exchanging picks for players is fine by me. After all , isnt that what you do with picks... pick a player ?

• Like 2

Guest José Mourinho

Just like Sydney Swans.

They were very astute and managed to get their players with a relatively low cost - was it a couple of 3rd rounders for Kennedy and the other fella?

Pouncing on Mumford was a moment of opportunistic genius.

Also Jolly for the pick for Jetta was a masterstroke.

But the key is that they don't give up a lot - they obviously wait for the right move & are shrewd operators.

Guest José Mourinho

I think the key is getting the best possible return for our picks, whether it be through a selection or trade.

The resistance to trade is borne of the highly likely prospect that we'll get a better return through drafting this year, based on the evaluation of this draft by the "experts".

NB. Although that perception now seems to be shifting slightly, in that the draft is not as deep as first thought.

Making our position all the more valuable.

• Like 1

Well said RR totally agree!!

What do all stars playing today have in common?

They were all drafted.

And what does the overwhelming majority of those players have in common?

They are still with the team that drafted them.

I'm all for bringing in mature players, but not at the cost of high picks that give you a great CHANCE at picking up a star.

Very few are selected late, and they are what we need more than anything.

Top 10 picks don't get traded unless you are getting a certain established star in return, and in those cases they often cost more than just a top 10 pick.

I don't usually agree with Jose but I do on this one.

I think that as a club we need to use these draft picks, sure we havn't gotten the best out of our development in the past but what are we going to do? Avoid drafting forever?

We have a new coaching team and regime, if ever, now is the best time to draft and to develop. If we can't get it right this time, then we never will and are basically doomed as a club.