Casey Scorpions v Collingwood

KC from Casey

I expect Cook will play all year at Casey and be developed in the right fashion not rushed to make a debut this year. Let him get some continuity playing against men in a key position at VFL level.

He might crack it for a game against GWS or Suns, just for a taste of AFL, if he keeps up his form. It takes pressure off a young player to get that first AFL game.

KC, what did you think of Sundberg's game for Collingwood?

I played cricket with his Dad, who was a top bat for Hawthorn-East Melbourne and a good footy player at

He told me Melbourne showed a lot of interest in Tom last draft but chose Magner ahead of him at the last moment. Apparently his stats were better than Magner's as an "in and under" mid.

He's just back playing after a broken bone in his foot.

I'll be watching his progress with interest. Apparently, Lockear keeps encouraging him to keep trying to crack it at AFL level.

KC, what did you think of Sundberg's game for Collingwood?

I played cricket with his Dad, who was a top bat for Hawthorn-East Melbourne and a good footy player at

He told me Melbourne showed a lot of interest in Tom last draft but chose Magner ahead of him at the last moment. Apparently his stats were better than Magner's as an "in and under" mid.

He's just back playing after a broken bone in his foot.

I'll be watching his progress with interest. Apparently, Lockear keeps encouraging him to keep trying to crack it at AFL level.

I was impressed with Sundberg last year and thought he was a real chance to get drafted. In fact, I was a bit surprised that we drafted Couch ahead of him as I thought he had a bit more point of difference to many of Melbourne's midfielders. I didn't notice him that much in yesterday's game so I can't really comment on him that.

I have a feeling that 'cookie monster' is gonna grow some serious legs. Awesome nickname, great for banners etc.

Were im from the cookie monster is not the best nick name guys. lol

Were he to develop a body like Cloke of JBrown then it would be a great name -- let's hope.

Another good win by the Scorps yesterday.  

At first I was a bit disappointed they didn't win by more considering they were 37 points up early in the 3rd term, but given Collingwood had all the momentum and got back within 7 points, Casey did well to hang on.  

Here's my take on the Melbourne players.

Gysberts: Pretty good for his first game back after a broken jaw.  While he didn't dominate, he was still very good and it was he and Couch that helped steady Casey in the midfield in the last after Collingwood had been dominating the clearances for over a quarter.  Will need a few weeks with Casey I reckon.

Bennell:  Did a few nice things and showed the usual class he seems to have at VFL level, but didn't have a major impact on the game.  Reckon he'll be a bit like Juice. Very good VFL, SANFL or WAFL player, but wont make it at AFL level.

Cook:  Very good game.  Was the difference in the end, Casey had a dominant forward to kick to in the first half and his kicking for goal was reasonable - could have kicked 6 in the end though.  Not as much impact in the second half as Collingwood were forced to drop a player back after half time but he was very good using his body and creating contests.  Will be a very good FF or CHF for the MFC.

Martin:  Best on ground for mine.  The pleasing thing was he played that 2nd ruck/tall forward role perfectly.  Kicked 4 goals and competed well in the ruck to give Spencer a chop out.  He's got talent Stef, he's a keeper unless another club offers something decent for him in my opinion.

Davey:  Impressive first half.  Used the ball really well, created some run through the middle and was evasive, even though he's clearly lost a yard of pace.  It's no suprise that Collingwood came back after he went off.  Only question is if he went off due to injury or in case he gets a call up as emergency?

Davis:  Probably the best game I've seen Davis play live.  Was only beaten in a one on one contest on 2 or 3 occasions the whole day despite giving away 10cm plus and who knows how many kgs to his opponent.  Wasn't afraid to run off them either to create some run.  It's good to know that even after Frawley, Rivers, McDonald, Garland & Sellar we have even more depth in the tall defender category.

Spencer:  Probably his best game for the year I reckon.  Won the ruck duel against Cameron Wood and linked up well to create an option through the midfield for Casey.  Still sometimes gets knocked off the ball too easily though.  Now that Russian has signed a new deal, and the fact that we have Gawn, Martin, Fitzpatrick, Sellar and Clark on the list.  I suspect Spencer wont be on the list next year and may find himself as a rookie at St. Kilda.

Lawrence:  Wasn't bad Kelvin and used his pace well to break free of a few congested packs to create some attacking plays, but at no stage threatened to score goals for Casey.  I'm starting to suspect Kelv wont get a third year on the rookie list, but hope he proves me wrong.

Couch:  Typical Couch game.  Not for the first time I didn't think he'd had much of the ball and then got a suprise when I saw the stats.  Works hard and as I said with Gysberts, was very important when the game was in the balance.  He'll stay on the rookie list for another year at least.

Tynan:  One of our best in the first half, faded a little in the second.  Uses it well and puts his head over the ball.  He'll be a player Josh, and I love the fact he can play half back, midfield or forward.  Love the versatility!

Shehan:  Worst game I've seen Jai play, but everyone has them sometimes.  Was playing above his height and weight and kept at it though.  Had a Rhyce Shaw 2003 grand final moment in the last, but at least the kid didn't drop his head.  He's shown enough previosuly though to suggest to me we may have a beauty here!

On a side note, it was very disappointing today to see that some supporters never learn, and it's probably just coincidence it was a Collingwood fan, but at the same time it's was more likely to be one of them then anyone else. 

In the week following an incident where a Collingwood fan had his membership revoked and was banned from attending games for racially abusing a Gold Coast player, I found it staggering to see the same thing happen at Casey yesterday.

Loud mouth Filth supporter was on the sauce all day, and you could hear his speach getting more and more slurred as the game went on.  Matter for him of course.  Spent the majority of the game getting stuck into Davey, Bennell and Lawrence when he wasn't bagging out Cam Wood from his own team (mind you, he clealy didn't know who Lawrence was, as he kept calling him Bennell).  But on at least half a dozen occasions, I heard him reffering to either Davey, Bennell or Lawrence as shadow!

Now I'm a pretty thick skinned person, and enjoy a good sledge of a player.  But I find it amazing after after the week that saw a Filth supporter have his membership revoked and in this day and age that we still get muppets like this!  I'm sure that other clubs supporters have these types of fans also, but I found it typical it was filth supporter!

Just goes to show, that racial abuse is only for the dumb and ignorant!

Go Scorps, and go Dees!

• Like 3

I was impressed with Sundberg last year and thought he was a real chance to get drafted. In fact, I was a bit surprised that we drafted Couch ahead of him as I thought he had a bit more point of difference to many of Melbourne's midfielders. I didn't notice him that much in yesterday's game so I can't really comment on him that.

He isn't listed in the record, but if he was number 54, he was one of Collingwoods better players, if not their best.

According to The Age - Tom Sundberg was the best for the Pies.

Another good win by the Scorps yesterday.

At first I was a bit disappointed they didn't win by more considering they were 37 points up early in the 3rd term, but given Collingwood had all the momentum and got back within 7 points, Casey did well to hang on.

Aaron Davey was very good out of the middle and around the ground in the second quarter and was the main reason Casey built such a lead. After half time when he went off, Collingwood won around the packs and if it wasn't for a couple of very good clearances by Couch that resulted in goals probably would have overrun Casey.

Josh Tynan (58) and Jordan Gysberts (68) were almost impossible to tell apart in packs even with binoculars.

He isn't listed in the record, but if he was number 54, he was one of Collingwoods better players, if not their best.

According to The Age - Tom Sundberg was the best for the Pies.

Thanks Big Kev. I'm indebted to you. There were a couple of player numbers missing from yesterday's record. I just didn't take much time trying to notice the Collingwood players in their insipid white and black striped alternate guernsey. They would have been much better off in black and white stripes. No. 54 went well as far as I could see but other than the obvious they all looked the same and nobody stood out.

My main gripe yesterday was the with the grandstand side scoreboard. Hasn't worked properly since late 2010. Could someone please look into fixing it?

So did couch get 27 touches or 37 touches the herald sun reporting he had 37 if that's true he must be a lock for a call up against GWS

What if he we beat Collingwood? Still a walk up then?