I think your hearing is too good mate!!!

Ch. 7 does suck i agree. But T Watson was a true gun for his entire career. Like Brereton when they talk football i listen.

Don't disagree, I do get a lot of the insights of both those guys, just noticing Watto seems to have it in for us a bit.

Don't disagree, I do get a lot of the insights of both those guys, just noticing Watto seems to have it in for us a bit.

Doesn't everyone?!!!

I would move both Watts and Garland. Put watts in the back pocket on a small/medium forward and play garland on the wing.

Spend the next four weeks in the twos, not because he has been terrible, but to gain confidence in his size and ability. Then after the bye bring him back against the lower ranked teams and see how he goes.

Haha, no idea.

See here is where we differ, Moloney is a senior player who has been disgraceful and yet becuase he is who he is, he is ignored for criticism.

While I understand judging Watts higher and my opinion of him is far higher, he is still but one on the field and yet wears more than any one player deserves.

Especially when others should be railed on with at least some vitriol. Watts is our only target it seems and that is staggerinly undeserved.

But what can you say about Moloney? I am over it.

He should have pumped today like Jonesy, but didn't.

But what can you say about Moloney? I am over it.

He should have pumped today like Jonesy, but didn't.

What can you say about Moloney? The same as any player who is on the field, wears the jumper, and then proceeds to suck the life out of it.

I get being over it, he is driving all that way, but he does not get a free pass because of it.

Edited by QueenC
  • Like 1

The view at the club - if you believe people you trust to know - is that Watts has coped unfair criticism and at times has worn criticism that should have gone to others.

That isn't just a view, that's an absolute and disgraceful fact........

• Like 1

2 clear ones. The Robinson one and a marking contest. I have to say, I know a few neutrals who were watching the game, who were absolutely appalled by Watts today.

The marking contest was not a shirk.

As for neutrals, who gives a toss? They'd believe anything the media spurts. Anyone who's not MFC, inherently thinks Watts is ordinary, because they're either ill-informed and have decided to listen to the media or they simply like giving it to an opposition at any opportunity (who doesn't?). One of the most frustrating things is that half of our supporter base helps perpetuate the crap that the media and opposition fans expel. It reeks of stupidity. It boggles the mind at times.

Edited by AdamFarr

This year is dusted Stuie. I think Jack would benefit from playing a dominating role in a winning side.

He does need to harden up. He has skills, but doesn't always use them.

Enough of this babying of Watts. Leave him out there. He won't develop at VFL. He's developing fine at AFL level. He's had 34 and 21 touches in respective weeks. He's finding the ball and he laid tackles today. He's clearly making progress.

• Like 1

What can you say about Moloney? The same as any player who is on the field, wears the jumper, and then proceeds to suck the life out of it.

I get being over it, he is driving all that way, but he does not get a free pass because of it.

I am not giving him a free pass. Just know what is going to happen before it happens!

But is he performing or just doing enough?

I want Jack to reach his potential in 2-3 years time. Now it is all about learning.

Season 2012 is gone at 0-9.

He can learn the things he needs to at AFL level, WYL. Mind-boggling.

I thought you were joking when I first read your earlier post. You're usually level-headed. Don't let the media and opposition fans drag you down. (excuse the patronisation)

I am not giving him a free pass. Just know what is going to happen before it happens!

Fair enough WYL, but he more than deserves a lot more ruthlessness thrown at him.......

Edited by QueenC

Okay, here is my summarised defense of Jack Watts, and why I think he will be a great player.

I believe that when he was scouted and drafted, our people knew what they were getting. This is evident in his carnival and underage videos.. He was never an aggressive CHF in junior and school football, unlike Hurley etc. He has elite skills and a great footy brain, and these are what allowed him to dominate in the under 18 competitions, etcetera.

I admit that I have had moments of huge frustration with Jack over the past few years, but over the last couple of weeks I have made up my mind that he will be a star, and definitely one of the very best players from that draft. What I see is elite composure through traffic, beautiful skills and very good decision making, which will be improved with time. I think at times he can be a little lazy and lacking of an appetite but this will improve with time and the removal of so called 'leaders' like Colin Sylvia.

His marking is getting much better, even though he might not be crashing packs just yet. To all the people who are ragging on Jack for not charging into every stoppage and winning the contested footy in close - we have players to do that, called inside midfielders. Jack is the ideal player to be hovering outside the contest, I believe. Who would you prefer to be on the recieving end of a handball from a stoppage... Brent Moloney who might bomb it 50 meters straight to an opposition player, or Jack, who could hit up a lead 30 to 40 meters away?

In conclusion, I firmly believe in Jack, and I am liking what I am seeing of him in the back half. Will be a great player, whether it be as a half forward, half back or Goddard like utility (my pick, like many others here). Please have faith in him and get stuck into the players who are in decline, not improving every week.

Great post.

• Like 1

Exactly!

There's no threads about Jamar, Moloney, Chip, or Garland who all had horrible days.

Disagree about Chip and Garland. Didn't have top days, but defender brilliantly a number of times. As usual, wrong suspects. Our backline (with the exception of Rivers one-on-one with a much bigger opponent) usually spoilt or cleared the ball...except for the last quarter.

He can learn the things he needs to at AFL level, WYL. Mind-boggling.

I thought you were joking when I first read your earlier post. You're usually level-headed. Don't let the media and opposition fans drag you down. (excuse the patronisation)

adam i just do not think being pumped every week is good for a player like Jack. Once the score blows out the head drops and intensity is lost.

I could live with Jack playing in the back pocket for a while though.

Disagree about Chip and Garland. Didn't have top days, but defender brilliantly a number of times. As usual, wrong suspects. Our backline (with the exception of Rivers one-on-one with a much bigger opponent) usually spoilt or cleared the ball...except for the last quarter.

Chip and Garls both had ordinary days, by their standards though. They're two players I love, but were well below their best today.

Okay, here is my summarised defense of Jack Watts, and why I think he will be a great player.

I believe that when he was scouted and drafted, our people knew what they were getting. This is evident in his carnival and underage videos.. He was never an aggressive CHF in junior and school football, unlike Hurley etc. He has elite skills and a great footy brain, and these are what allowed him to dominate in the under 18 competitions, etcetera.

I admit that I have had moments of huge frustration with Jack over the past few years, but over the last couple of weeks I have made up my mind that he will be a star, and definitely one of the very best players from that draft. What I see is elite composure through traffic, beautiful skills and very good decision making, which will be improved with time. I think at times he can be a little lazy and lacking of an appetite but this will improve with time and the removal of so called 'leaders' like Colin Sylvia.

His marking is getting much better, even though he might not be crashing packs just yet. To all the people who are ragging on Jack for not charging into every stoppage and winning the contested footy in close - we have players to do that, called inside midfielders. Jack is the ideal player to be hovering outside the contest, I believe. Who would you prefer to be on the recieving end of a handball from a stoppage... Brent Moloney who might bomb it 50 meters straight to an opposition player, or Jack, who could hit up a lead 30 to 40 meters away?

In conclusion, I firmly believe in Jack, and I am liking what I am seeing of him in the back half. Will be a great player, whether it be as a half forward, half back or Goddard like utility (my pick, like many others here). Please have faith in him and get stuck into the players who are in decline, not improving every week.

Exactly. Thank you. Amazes me that so many of our supporters take aim at him. I had him in my best today and he was listed as such in the game write up. Think some posters need to distinguish between being [censored] off we lost and deriding Jack week after week. Yes, he makes errors....but he does some great stuff too. He's learning and IMO getting better in front of our eyes. He's one of the few things that make me feel better about the year so far. Was also SO much happier with the game plan this week...up until 3/4 time anyway.

• Like 1

Was also SO much happier with the game plan this week...up until 3/4 time anyway.

Agree, it was great to see players honoring leads and hitting up short passes, but most importantly running the ball through the lines instead of just kicking to a contest every damn time! Use of the corridor was much much better.

Edited by ThePassenger
  • Like 1

adam i just do not think being pumped every week is good for a player like Jack. Once the score blows out the head drops and intensity is lost.

I could live with Jack playing in the back pocket for a while though.

Whether it was planned or not, I really like how Neeld has coached him over the past two weeks.

Last week he sent him back to defend, as a loose player. Here he gained confidence and IMO had a really solid game. This week, it's as if Neeld said, 'okay, Jack. Now that you've illustrated you can win the ball and dispose of it with such efficiency, now is the time to place you on a man'. I'm not sure how much undue credit I'm giving Neeld here, but to me it seems like he's very much aware that by playing Watts down back, it allows him to get regular touch of the footy, under pressure and learns a defensive side to his game. Smart coaching.

Bailey seemed resistant to this idea.

Edited by AdamFarr
  • Like 1

Think some posters need to distinguish between being [censored] off we lost and deriding Jack week after week.

It merely shows how easily an audience can be brainwashed by the media. Sorry to get political, but I cannot remember an article written in favour of Watts for quite a while. I think there may have been one from Connolly a few weeks back, but apart from that - a dearth of balance in the media. No wonder even some MFC people are caught by it.

Agree, it was great to see players honoring leads and hitting up short passes, but most importantly running the ball through the lines instead of just kicking to a contest every damn time! Use of the corridor was much much better.

But it was usually only once the corridor was free and we usually had one or two free players who had got themselves into space. This is how modern footy has to be played. We still used the boundary line percentage a lot, but I don't mind that as long as we don't do it at the expense of a better option in the corridor. Turn overs in the corridor is why we leaked goals under Bailey.

Edited by AdamFarr

Watts has coffees with Malthouse now days.

Malthouse having coffees with Davey and now Watts? This is fact is it? If so, very interesting indeed. It's as if Mick has clandestinely become an MFC mentor. If so, that'd be fantastic. Would love him on board. Still has his finger on the pulse of the game.

Whether it was planned or not, I really like how Neeld has coached him over the past two weeks.

Last week he sent him back to defend, as a loose player. Here he gained confidence and IMO had a really solid game. This week, it's as if Neeld said, 'okay, Jack. Now that you've illustrated you can win the ball and dispose of it with such efficiency, now is the time to place you on a man'. I'm not sure how much undue credit I'm giving Neeld here, but to me it seems like he's very much aware that by playing Watts down back, it allows him to get regular touch of the footy, under pressure and learns a defensive side to his game. Smart coaching.

Bailey seemed resistant to this idea.

I agree with that. Neeld has very high hopes for JW. That's why i have no probs with him playing VFL now.

Remember Jack did not play TAC Footy.

The MFC should never have played him in 2009. I reckon it really spooked him at the time.

But it was usually only once the corridor was free and we usually had one or two free players who had got themselves into space. This is how modern footy has to be played. We still used the boundary line percentage a lot, but I don't mind that as long as we don't do it at the expense of a better option in the corridor. Turn overs in the corridor is why we leaked goals under Bailey.

+ 1

Thank god another who sees the Neeld game plan is not solely about hugging the boundary. It's brutal lots of boundary contests then quick switches when players have the legs to create space through the corridor and switch with speed of ball movement. Saw it sinking in today a bit but out on their feet and not enough running power or endurance to do it over 4 quarters. The running will come, need to target mids to win our share of clearances for the finished article

Patience required

• Like 3