Port Adelaide v Melbourne: No Demonland match report

Demonland

There will be no Demonland match report on the Port Adelaide v Melbourne NAB Cup Week 4 game because:

A we had nobody there who was willing to write it up;

B it was a glorified practice match that nobody cares about; and

C we were dreadful.

There's a report here from a bloke called Michaelangelo Rucci who writes for the Adelaide Advertiser and the Herald Sun. It doesn't provide much analysis about what happened - John Butcher reported as Port Adelaide beats Melbourne in practice match but there's probably enough from our point of view.

Hopefully, Colin Sylvia's injury isn't too bad and he recovers in time for our round 2 game in Perth.

And sorry to do this to Matt Burgan but the quote of the week comes from his report on the melbournefc.com.au website - Sylvia suffers back injury

"On positive for Neeld was the performance of ruckman Mark Neeld, who had 45 hit outs. "

Talk about the coach having to do everything at the club!

• Like 1

I personally think that it's a major negative if your ruckman gets that many hit outs and your team is so badly flogged.

Without having seen the game, it suggests to me that our on ball division which should have been reaping the benefit of what should have been a significant advantage must have been dysfunctional. Given the importance of winning in the midfield, Mark Neeld (the coach) and not Mark Neeld (the ruckman) has to rectify the problem if we're going to get anywhere in this competition this year.

I personally think that it's a major negative if your ruckman gets that many hit outs and your team is so badly flogged.

Without having seen the game, it suggests to me that our on ball division which should have been reaping the benefit of what should have been a significant advantage must have been dysfunctional. Given the importance of winning in the midfield, Mark Neeld (the coach) and not Mark Neeld (the ruckman) has to rectify the problem if we're going to get anywhere in this competition this year.

Clearly a couple of our mids Jordie and JT lack match practice and that doesn't help. I think it is also starting to show our inferior midfield. Richmond are a direct competitor for a finals spot and they have Cotchin, Martin and Deledio just for starters.

It's not a lot, but the following is a comment posted on another site from a Port supporter that was at the match.

"It seemed to me like you were trialling defensive strategies as opposed to being hell bent on winning the match. So many times during the last three quarters you had Everybody behind the ball in a mega flood with port chipping across half back looking for the switch and an opening. Often you won the ball back but then had no-one to kick to and turned it over again.

With watts and jurrah back in the team you'll have the forwards to compliment clark well and your midfield is developing well. Jones especially looks ready to step up imo. The base of a finals side is there. Just give it patience."

There's no doubt that we're trialling defensive strategies, but at the same time we seem to be losing our structures in the process. This will be remedied.

Edited by Ben-Hur
  • Like 3

It's not a lot, but the following is a comment posted on another site from a Port supporter that was at the match.

"It seemed to me like you were trialling defensive strategies as opposed to being hell bent on winning the match. So many times during the last three quarters you had Everybody behind the ball in a mega flood with port chipping across half back looking for the switch and an opening. Often you won the ball back but then had no-one to kick to and turned it over again.

With watts and jurrah back in the team you'll have the forwards to compliment clark well and your midfield is developing well. Jones especially looks ready to step up imo. The base of a finals side is there. Just give it patience."

There's no doubt that we're trialling defensive strategies, but at the same time we seem to be losing our structures in the process. This will be remedied.

When the only person who offers logical thought is a Port supporter, you must take a long hard look at yourself

• Like 6

I know you know this b-h, but it's a point that is consistently lost on many others - it's why you can't read too much in to the results of practice matches: because they're practice. It's when new tactics can be tried, practiced and revised. That's not to say it's not disheartening when we get rolled by sides that have previously sucked - it is - but I just can't find the same level of disappointment as some when I know those in charge see this as an opportunity to learn more than anything else.

• Like 3

I am thinking/hoping that we are not only trialling defensive strategies but implementing the new game plan at its most stringent. The players seem hell bent on playing the boundary line at all costs. Fingers crossed that we show some more cohesion and attacking flair in a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

I know Mark Neeld is trialling different strategies but how about we trial winning. Last time I checked it's a pretty good strategy.

I'm sure that Mark is spewing he hadn't thought of that and is so, so grateful that you suggested it.

• Like 2

I'm sure that Mark is spewing he hadn't thought of that and is so, so grateful that you suggested it.

So we come out against the pies and show a shiny new hard press and we smash them in the contested possession and win the game. This makes us happy and then we come out against the hawks and get smashed and look second rate whilst trialling other strategies and then we do the same against pitiful Port. Why wouldn't we continue to play the way we did against the pies in terms of strategy? Wouldn't it make sense to solidify the game plan we all think will win us games this year?

If we had won the last two convincingly would some scribes still be saying ýou can't read too much into the results of practice matches''

I am thinking/hoping that we are not only trialling defensive strategies but implementing the new game plan at its most stringent. The players seem hell bent on playing the boundary line at all costs. Fingers crossed that we show some more cohesion and attacking flair in a couple of weeks.

That stringent play along the boundary is hurting us moving the ball forward too, with the NAB cup out of bounds rule.

Often when we'd be able to progress to a new stoppage and set-up our structure for another push forward, instead the ball is given back to the opposition because of a mickey mouse trial rule.

I know Mark Neeld is trialling different strategies but how about we trial winning. Last time I checked it's a pretty good strategy.

If winning a practice match is your aim.

Not 100% sure about Neeld, but personally I think we should ignore the result and focus on practicing things that will help us win our first REAL game.

• Like 1

I know you know this b-h, but it's a point that is consistently lost on many others - it's why you can't read too much in to the results of practice matches: because they're practice. It's when new tactics can be tried, practiced and revised. That's not to say it's not disheartening when we get rolled by sides that have previously sucked - it is - but I just can't find the same level of disappointment as some when I know those in charge see this as an opportunity to learn more than anything else.

That's all very fine Nasher but I'm at a total loss to understand just what it was that they were 'practicing', unless you call bad football practice.

Walks like a duck, looks like..............call it as it was

• Like 2

Guest Dr Who

OMG - This post would put many to shame around here.

It sounds to me like they sacrificed the Outcome, to allow Port the ball, so we could practice our defences.

This Is working on our structures. This would be the best way to put them Under enormous load, IF that is what they did.

So we come out against the pies and show a shiny new hard press and we smash them in the contested possession and win the game. This makes us happy and then we come out against the hawks and get smashed and look second rate whilst trialling other strategies and then we do the same against pitiful Port. Why wouldn't we continue to play the way we did against the pies in terms of strategy? Wouldn't it make sense to solidify the game plan we all think will win us games this year?

Yep, well a team that 'Pressed', we could absorb ^ outscore.

But a superior team that is renowned for it 's Elite ball winning, contested work & Offence, we showed we need More Size, maturity & a lot more Work on our Defence structures.... So, we're working on them...

I am not convinced. I have seen many a match under Bailey with this same outcome.

Mark Neeld in his commencement speech spoke directly about practicing things in the practice matches (NAB). He also said that we (the supporters and media) will need to trust in him, the footy dept and the players as they develop and implement the game plan they believe we need to compete with the top four teams.

• Like 1