U.S. Presidential Election

Range Rover

Thought I'd start up a thread on this topic for fans of American Presidential politics and politics in general. Looks like it will be Obama v Romney and while the scenario looked rosy for the GOP a few months ago, the US economy is now showing signs of recovery.

Should be a full on, knock 'em down, drag 'em out stoush between two candidates with starkly contrasting styles and backgrounds. Personally I think the Prez is going to tear Mitt a new one and romp home.

Here's Obama in fine form giving a speech at a United States Auto Workers function a few days ago. No wonder our pollies were so doe-eyed on his recent visit. His top gear is in a different class ...

Edited by Range Rover

We shouldn't really be talking politicians on this forum RR so I'll just talk about Romney .

He has no hope ,no idea and no chance .All the bible bashing in the world wont get him and his poodle wife in to the White House.

He makes Paris Hilton sound intelligent .

It's like the Republicans have given up trying to stop an Obama second term .

The US is out of control. Just going further and further in debt. Has anyone had a look at the debt clock lately? It should scare the hell out of anyone.

Romney and Obama are hopeless. Neither of them would know how to fix the their debt woes, let alone any of their other problems. Obama has shown us that first hand.

There are better alternatives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xIsofTmnUY&feature=related

But there are people who seem to be conspiring against him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPD-w-wDPVw

The debt came from those dumb wars they began .Jesus Christ cant help them now .Let alone Obama or some Republican millionaire du jour .

The debt came from those dumb wars they began .Jesus Christ cant help them now .Let alone Obama or some Republican millionaire du jour .

Maybe he's working against them, they're Dom in 'ance. They've abused their Power. And now I think they're losing it.

• 4 months later...

Debt is such a 'meh' issue for me.

Our retail economy thrives on private debt (ironically leading to the Fin Collapse a couple years back) and it dwarves public debt.

And to countries - one mans debt is a another mans asset - so let's just spend some omeny and get people back to work.

If the US would rehire the public sector workers they 'laid off' in the wake of the Fin Collpase - their unemployment rate would drop to 6% apparently.

Austerity is fixing your your broken leg by cutting off your ankle.

Debt is such a 'meh' issue for me.

Our retail economy thrives on private debt (ironically leading to the Fin Collapse a couple years back) and it dwarves public debt.

And to countries - one mans debt is a another mans asset - so let's just spend some omeny and get people back to work.

If the US would rehire the public sector workers they 'laid off' in the wake of the Fin Collpase - their unemployment rate would drop to 6% apparently.

Austerity is fixing your your broken leg by cutting off your ankle.

Very true rpfc .

In the ideologoical battle between J.M Keynes and Milton Friedman ,JMK was a clear winner .

In the wake of the GFC-Australias government knew this.

We can either spend govt money or we can save it an start blaming immigrants because we have no jobs.

Shouldn't this be rolled into the apathy thread?

Shouldn't this be rolled into the apathy thread?

Why bother?
  • Like 2

Is it wrong to wish Sarah Palin was still running ?

I'd be more than happy for Palin to become President. Dave Letterman could then bring back his Great Moments in Presidential Speeches segment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbhzyoNwQYk&feature=related

• Like 1

I'm trying to figure out when I passed into the alternate universe where Sarah Palin is "hot"... I'm afraid that Clutch Cargo jaw just doesn't do it for me :-)

I'm trying to figure out when I passed into the alternate universe where Sarah Palin is "hot"... I'm afraid that Clutch Cargo jaw just doesn't do it for me :-)

Hardtack ,hot in a punishable way .Kind of like the girl next door .If you grew up next to a brothel . Edited by Biffen

• 1 month later...

thought i'd revive this topic....because the last couple of weeks the GOP had me laughing and crying, following this election.

This speech killed the GOP on a couple of fronts..first of all he looked like a senile old man who had completely lost the plot, second of all Clint is actually for gay marriage, pro choice, and in this speech bagged Obama for using all that gas to fly his plane around......

Edited by Demon2

• 1 month later...

Can we talk about something important ?

• Like 1

The NRL and Barrack Obama are very happy about Meatloaf performing!

The flying pudding of Panto strikes again!

• 2 weeks later...

Mitt can go back to liquidating businesses now.The States just dodged a bullet.

The joke going around is that re-electing Obama is like backing up the Titanic and running into the iceberg a second time.

I still don't quite understand how he managed to win the Nobel Peace prize?

• 3 weeks later...

The joke going around is that re-electing Obama is like backing up the Titanic and running into the iceberg a second time.

I still don't quite understand how he managed to win the Nobel Peace prize?

You're kidding right?

The US had only one decent option at the last election.

The other side had no desire to fix anything - only line the wallets of the big money men that fueled their election. They are ruled by corporate interests and while the Democrats also cowtow to these people they can also find money in small donations which allows them to actually govern properly.

Oh, and by the way, this party was the one that got the US (and by extension, all of us) into this mess in the first place. Bush spent far more money than he should have, cut taxes as he fought a couple wars, loosened regulation (that were already loose under Clinton) that set the stage for the financial collapse that Obama is now being blamed for by two kinds of people; swarmy interests who should know better, and idiots who don't know much at all and don't want to be told otherwise.

Obama has eased their pathetic heathcare situation, has upped their world standing, stabilised their economy, championed some social reforms, and brought their disappointing wars to an end.

Edited by rpfc
  • Like 1

You're kidding right?

The US had only one decent option at the last election.

The other side had no desire to fix anything - only line the wallets of the big money men that fueled their election. They are ruled by corporate interests and while the Democrats also cowtow to these people they can also find money in small donations which allows them to actually govern properly.

Oh, and by the way, this party was the one that got the US (and by extension, all of us) into this mess in the first place. Bush spent far more money than he should have, cut taxes as he fought a couple wars, loosened regulation (that were already loose under Clinton) that set the stage for the financial collapse that Obama is now being blamed for by two kinds of people; swarmy interests who should know better, and idiots who don't know much at all and don't want to be told otherwise.

Obama has eased their pathetic heathcare situation, has upped their world standing, stabilised their economy, championed some social reforms, and brought their disappointing wars to an end.

Yes, well I should have balanced that by saying the other joke is that electing Romney is like backing up the Titanic and running into a different iceberg.

Romney was a poor choice. So I'd probably have to agree that Obama was the better of the two candidates. It still doesn't make him a good President. Healthcare costs have risen well above prediction. The debt ceiling keeps rising along with the jobless rate.

The mess that Bush, the US and their sub-prime mortgages got everyone involved with actually started with Clinton, who repealed banking regulations which had originally separated commercial banking and investment/securities.The Bush sub-prime mortgage debacle was just a train wreck waiting to happen