• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

$urprise, $urprise, $cully $enior Employed by GW$

Think about the kicbacks and sip honing that must have taken place by the GW$ top brass with all that lucre at their disposal. My hunch is that the Fill Scully Affair is just the tip of the hamburger.

Think about the potential for kick backs and palm greasing between GW$ top brass and shady player managers.

It's a disgrace and if the AFL cares one iota about its integrity as an organization, there needs to be a full investigation.

we chose badly because of his mental character. Maybe it was unforseen but the facts are what they are. We gave up a number one draft pick. We must be so much more vigilant in future drafts.

He was never going to be a long term prospect.

My view is he never wanted to play at the MFC. He did it because it was his way in. He used the club to get a contract. Maybe fhe club thought they could turn him around, but i believe it was never going to happen. It just shows that character is as important in making judgement as football ability.

Ok, I just had to respond to this...

You can say we made a mistake, because we did.

But you cannot truly believe it was a mistake that could have been avoided.

Scully was an elite proposition and 'the' standout from the draft. We were destined to take him for months.

He was always destined to be a long term prospect.

There is no way we could have foreseen this.

His character, and that of his family, are inherently flawed. But we know that because of what has transpired, and what has transpired was not forewarned.

We could not know that it would end the way it ended.

I keep reading how well we have done with two 1st round picks for our GWS recruit, but like WYL I don't buy it. We wouldn't swap our pick 2 JT to Port for 8&9 and here we are getting about 13 & 16 for number 1 pick in the country. Would Tigers swap Martin for picks 13 & 16, would Hawks swap Hodge for 13 & 16. The compensation is nothing like what was lost. The only thing I hope is that we have dodged a bullet if the injuries are as bad as I have heard. I wish people would stop saying we were fairly compensated because we weren't. We were just compensated according to AFL guidelines not fairly or adequately.

Maybe. That is why I'm big on the Mini Draft next year or trade for a young established star in return for two "valuable" compensation picks. It's what we do with them that matters. And that will ultimately determine our answer of what our compensation be worth to losing "you know who" to GWS. Loss of time - but not necessarily loss of quality atm. I buy it Redleg - even though I know what you are saying.

The club needs to be prudent.

Or I had Bentley but they took it off me and gave me two Holdens.

Completely agree, and while those Holdens might be a couple of fine options I want us to use those Holdens to get back into the luxury car market by trading into the mini-draft or trading for a player before we even think about driving those Holdens.

However, judging by Mr. Griffin's Scully's ... er, ample frame, I would suggest the MFC blundered in failing to recognise the opportunity to instal Cale Morton as a boarder in the Scully household in an attempt to build up his physique.

Doubt Morton's skinfolds would have been too flash.

Perhaps "Demir" Scully harbours a secret desire to play AFL alongside his son, he might as well he's taking up the spot of another player.

Caro has reported his salary to be 100k - that's at least 1 rookie they won't have access to each year for 5? years, unless they have front-loaded him too.

People were worried when Trengove and Tapscott both signed for an extra year early on but Scully didn't, their fears came true.

I agree, there was something about him that never made me fell like he played for Melbourne.

Agreed

Yeah, IMO he never put his heart into it, as if he resented having to pull on the Red 'n' Blue.

In the end i think we had to play the season knowing that we had to hold his value up by playing him when we didn't like it. Senior games equates to his value in picks compensated to us.

The major/only factor in the compensation was the size of his contract.

GWS's salary cap must be massive.

$1M more than the other clubs in 2012, I think. Clearly having trouble spending it.

My view is he never wanted to play at the MFC. He did it because it was his way in. He used the club to get a contract. Maybe fhe club thought they could turn him around, but i believe it was never going to happen. It just shows that character is as important in making judgement as football ability.

Shades of Buckley going to Brisbane. There certainly is a bit of the same feel.

I must say, in the off-footy season, GWS is providing lots of entertainment.

Hardly surprising: Sheedy, Williams, Allan are all nutters. Wonder how Silvagni is feeling? (He's the one defending the fathers appointment in the press.)

Edited by Mono

Shades of Buckley going to Brisbane. There certainly is a bit of the same feel.

How can you say that - nothing like same except both were young players that left their original clubs ? Buckley made it clear where he wanted to go before he was drafted by the bears and it was common knowledge that he had an out clause in his contract - he was upfront that he wanted to get to Collingwood.

Buckley was all about going to Collingwood - Scully is all about money. Shades of Buckley would have Scully at Richmond.

How can you say that - nothing like same except both were young players that left their original clubs ? Buckley made it clear where he wanted to go before he was drafted by the bears and it was common knowledge that he had an out clause in his contract - he was upfront that he wanted to get to Collingwood.

Buckley was all about going to Collingwood - Scully is all about money. Shades of Buckley would have Scully at Richmond.

It wasn't that straightforward.

Without getting into ancient history here, Buckley was destined for North and Collingwood jumped on board and stole him. And Gubby Allan impersonated Buckley's agent to tell Geelong he wanted to go to Collingwood.

It was a mess, as this one is.

It wasn't that straightforward.

Without getting into ancient history here, Buckley was destined for North and Collingwood jumped on board and stole him. And Gubby Allan impersonated Buckley's agent to tell Geelong he wanted to go to Collingwood.

It was a mess, as this one is.

I guess my point is that Buckley made it clear he didnt want to play for the Bears - hence the out clause in his contract and Bears thought they could turn him.

$cully & family have chased the cash. Where they ended up was not the major concern. But in 2009 they would have been well aware of the expansion franchaises and their larger salary caps. It was never going to be MFC money they settled on. We were a means to an end. And that is their right, nothing wrong with that if you can live with yourself being a mercenary. I am just disappointed we gave up a number one pick so that $cully Incorporated were able to achieve their goal. Yes we were compensated & we will move on. Jack Viney will help immensly where Tom once was. But the comp picks are not even close to a number one pick. So the choice we made in 2009 was crucial. The Tigers got it right we didn'tt. That said we got number 2 right so all is not lost.

I guess my point is that Buckley made it clear he didnt want to play for the Bears - hence the out clause in his contract and Bears thought they could turn him.

First I heard of the out-clause. Like Scully, Buckly was drafted with a 2 year contract. Like Scully, he had to wait 2 years before he could move to another club. Like Scully, he showed few signs of wanting to stay at his original club.

FWIW, I reckon Scully would have moved to a different club even if the GWS $s hadn't appeared.

Ok, I just had to respond to this...

You can say we made a mistake, because we did.

But you cannot truly believe it was a mistake that could have been avoided.

Scully was an elite proposition and 'the' standout from the draft. We were destined to take him for months.

He was always destined to be a long term prospect.

There is no way we could have foreseen this.

His character, and that of his family, are inherently flawed. But we know that because of what has transpired, and what has transpired was not forewarned.

We could not know that it would end the way it ended.

Absolutely

we chose badly because of his mental character.

Never let hindsight be mistaken for foresight.

• Like 1

Hindsight is 20 20 vision but I was always underwhelmed by Scully's actual football. Yes, he did get a hell of a lot of possessions in a quarter once but he also lacked penetration in his kicking and missed substantial time to a CHRONIC injury. He may well turn into a very good footballer. A great one? He is not the total package and, for my mind, lacks an x factor.

May well be wrong but it would be terrific if, in two to three years we felt like the club had dodged a bullet by losing him and picking up Clarke.

give me a break!

Which part do you roll your eyes at?

The family finagled a job from the team they agreed their son to go to.

That is ethically off-kilter.

And we had no idea at the time of drafting the kid that the father would attempt to squeeze some easy money for himself out his son's second, and first live, contract.

You could be rolling your eyes at the 'wanky' way I said it...

Edited by rpfc

I do agree that Phat Phil Scully is apparently a bottom feeding opportunist with a snout for deal - must have the hide of an armadillo.

Yes to stay quiet for so long would take some doing. Only certain people can do it. Which is the character trait i wish the club had been more aware of. You live and learn.

$cully karma will bite them big time soon. What was that old saying?, "cheats wont prosper".

Now that $cully seniors' wage is going into their cap, do they class this as a player and thus have to shed a promising younger player?

If not why not Vlad? Jeez the AFL powers are pretty messed up on this one.

I know, it's just another case of make the rules up on the run!

Is the knee of junior is as bad as the many rumours are banging on about? ........................... I mentioned this nearly 12 months ago.

Supposedly he will play minimal onball over his career and end up being a small fwd with limited mobility.

Karma, Karma, Karma.

Yes to stay quiet for so long would take some doing. Only certain people can do it. Which is the character trait i wish the club had been more aware of. You live and learn.

This - i agree with.

There was a way the Scullys could have done it all without having their name dragged through the swamp. Yes they must take ultimate responsibility, no-one held a gun to their head, but my word were they poorly advised at critical junctures by their manager, Peter Blucher.

Blucher completely botched the public relations aspect of the process. Real amateur hour stuff.

Beware, young AFL players, of that man.

There was a way the Scullys could have done it all without having their name dragged through the swamp. Yes they must take ultimate responsibility, no-one held a gun to their head, but my word were they poorly advised at critical junctures by their manager, Peter Blucher.

Blucher completely botched the public relations aspect of the process. Real amateur hour stuff.

Beware, young AFL players, of that man.

The father attempted, and got, a job out of his sons contract negotiations.

That doesn't sound like a Lynch-Blucher problem, it sounds like a 'what can you do for me, as I send my son your way' problem.

And as you said during the height of this - representation is just an extension of the player. The agent does as the player/players family wishes.

The father attempted, and got, a job out of his sons contract negotiations.

That doesn't sound like a Lynch-Blucher problem, it sounds like a 'what can you do for me, as I send my son your way' problem.

And as you said during the height of this - representation is just an extension of the player. The agent does as the player/players family wishes.

rpfc, i have great respect for you...but i am finding it hard to work out why you still continue to defend thi$ family to this day like they are some kind of Brady Bunch Clan...The True Colours of this Mercenary bunch was finally shown up in all it's glory this week...

They are not a nice bunch & are prepared to lie & cheat in order to get there hands on grotesque amounts of wealth for the least amount of work.

i wish i had been with Mr Redleg at the Airport yesterday....Young Tom would have said hello to me....it's common courtesy.......