What do we do with no. 31 jumper?

pitchfork

Passion and feelings are real. Supporters have them and will continue to for as long as there's a MFC. So build a bridge buddy and get used to it.

How about buddy you realise Tom Scully has gone, wipe the tears from your eyes and focus on the future of the football club.

Mothballing a jumper which was last used by a player who played about 50 years ago and has since been used by series of duds, NQR and mediocre players reeks of an attitude that is choked by its history. You need to get that monkey off your back.

Many posters whine incessantly on this site that the Club has not moved forward culturally since we last won a flag and prissy practices like this only prolong the mental block that plagues some supporters.

The Club needs to be better than that even if some backward looking supporters need their security blanket.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the Great Man left us in 1965 after wearing the jumper with distinction as did his late father. However RDB'S departure was done with honour and not smoke and mirrors.

I have had the pleasure of meeting with the great man and speaking with him about the club. to hear him speak of his love for the club is inspiring.

I would ask Barass to speak with the player group early in the pre season about the importance of the club and the red & blue jumper, what it means to us as supporters and past players. Let him look the player group in the eye and ask them who wants to wear it with honour and represent this great club.

Nice. I've had the pleasure too, on a few occasions. He's a great guy.

However, Barass did what you're suggesting earlier this year when presenting the jumper to $cully. I just hope he followed up and ripped the jumper off him as he walked out the door just as he said he would do if he didn't give his all for the club lol.

I prefer the 'earn it' method as per the Hawks myself.....

Weight of Expectation

How about buddy you realise Tom Scully has gone, wipe the tears from your eyes and focus on the future of the football club.

Lol. Very appropriate.....for you mate. I wasn't the one with the $cully pic ya goose. I was never 'in' to $cully in the first place as such. Hence i rarely ever commented on the $cully threads. He looked too slight and skinny, yet another choir boy for mine. Maybe in 3 years time when he fills out he'll kick some ass .....maybe. But unlike yourself, was never huge on him. Was only ever concerned about getting fair and reasonable compensation once it was pretty certain he was off.

Mothballing a jumper which was last used by a player who played about 50 years ago and has since been used by series of duds, NQR and mediocre players reeks of an attitude that is choked by its history. You need to get that monkey off your back.

We are talking about the same number 31 yes? The one that was last uded by $cully? Hec, you're not conveniently forgetting what happened one day after the event to somehow strengthen your point are you Rhino? Not my monkey. Just an opinion. OOooo ooooo oooo.....ah ah ah....eee eee eee :P

Many posters whine incessantly on this site that the Club has not moved forward culturally since we last won a flag and prissy practices like this only prolong the mental block that plagues some supporters.

Nah. The prissy practices are things like handing over such coveted jumpers willy nilly to young players who haven't had a chance to earn them. And other things like raising a red & blue flag before the match in some sort of ceremonial statement earlier this year. Dropping the Demon from all marketing and PR for a time there a few years back under the pretence that we were just 'The MFC' like some sort of UK soccer club and that this would differentiate us somehow from the other clubs....even though we were throwing away our heritage handed to us from the great Checker. These are the prissy practices that we need to rid ourselves of and have done so ie., in hindsight the club has recognised the vanishing 'Demon' error and has now had to work extra hard to turn it around by invoking it again in its marketing, dumping the flag raising ceremony.

The Club needs to be better than that even if some backward looking supporters need their security blanket.

The club needs to be better in many matters. Just because you disagree with it doesn't mean it's backward looking. In fact i can't see how it's backward looking at all. You mothball it and move on. Jumpers are still presented to young recruits as they join.....just not 31 for however long.

Speaking of backward looking......i see you've decided on a new pic! I guess you had to look back a little for that yeh?

Lol. Very appropriate.....for you mate. I wasn't the one with the $cully pic ya goose.

The use of the Scully photo with "Order Now" was tongue in cheek. I will remember that subtlety is not your strong suit

We are talking about the same number 31 yes? The one that was last uded by $cully? Hec, you're not conveniently forgetting what happened one day after the event to somehow strengthen your point are you Rhino? Not my monkey. Just an opinion. OOooo ooooo oooo.....ah ah ah....eee eee eee :P

Want a banana?

Nah. The prissy practices are things like handing over such coveted jumpers willy nilly to young players who haven't had a chance to earn them.

The prissy practive is coveting the jumper and not the player who actually wore it? And if you look at the history of the number being given out so many duds and NQRs have used it that it makes the mothballing proposal so ridiculous.

Speaking of backward looking......i see you've decided on a new pic! I guess you had to look back a little for that yeh?

No not all. I got it off the internet today. Its Jack Mueller. And if we followed your formula then his jumper and glove would be mothballed.

I have a respect for the past but I dont let it unduly dominate the future. You should do likewise.

Its Jack Mueller. And if we followed your formula then his jumper and glove would be mothballed.

Thats only because it would be a big ask for a rookie to wear that glove. Bleeding red and blue comes to mind.

Want a banana?

Lol.

After 40 odd years of following the ups & downs (mostly downs) and trials and tribulations at this club...i don't need one...already gone bananas!

Speaking of monkeys (warning: don't try this at home folks!)........

I have my own personal conundrum relating to this topic. Not long after drafting Tom Scully in 2009, the MFC took the opportunity to auction off 6 new jumpers with fresh new sponsors Hankook and Kaspersky. Three signed by Tom Scully and Ron Barassi, the other three by Jack Trengove and David Neitz. So currently placed in my room is a jumper that I can no longer stand to look at. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but how I wish I had of placed my bid on the number 9 jumper instead.

The question is now, what should I do with it? I must admit my first thoughts involved a bon fire, however that seemed like a waste, particularly considering how much money I spent on it (an amount no uni student could justify spending on token sports memorabilia).