ABANDONED

Demonland

ABANDONED by KC from Casey

When Lyndon Dunn kicked Casey's fifth goal at the eleven minute mark of the second quarter to give his team a 5.3.33 to 3.5.23 lead, things were looking rosy for the Scorpions in their VFL qualifying clash at TEAC Oval against undefeated Port Melbourne.

They had weathered the first quarter kicking into a stiff breeze by going goal for goal with the premiership favourite and trailed by only two points when the siren sounded to signal the change of ends. Brendan Fevola had already registered two goals, Max Gawn was not only winning the ruck contests but was also wowing the crowd with his agility and his persistence and Evan Panozza, Tim Mohr and Matthew Warnock were holding together a tight defence.

With the Scorpions about to take their turn with the wind, a fired up Brad Gotch focussed on attack.

"When Fev is leading out at you, hit him in the face and honour his leads!"

There was an air of confidence about the group and everything pointed to an possible upset result after Kelvin Lawrence dribbled through an early goal from the boundary and ten minutes later when Dunn kicked his goal. However, things suddenly went awry and even the elements turned against the Scorpions.

Years ago, Demis Roussos sang about his friend the wind but on Saturday, it was no friend of the Scorpions. In fact, it abandoned them when what had previously been a difficult to counter stiff breeze moderated and then the floodgates opened. Within minutes Port's Burstin tapped the ball through goal to regain the lead and Batsanis showed it was possible to even score goals with kicks from outside the fifty metre arc.

The Borough's superior experience and midfield run showed out and the game's momentum turned as Port scored six unanswered goals against its shell shocked opponents. Only a late goal to Fevola gave them some hope as they trudged dispirited into the rooms at half time.

The Scorpions really couldn't blame the elements for their demise. They stumbled and fumbled as Port Melbourne continued to hold the initiative after the main break to boot 8.5.53 to their mere three points in the third quarter.

Port then added a further seven in the last to complete the rout with Fevola booting all three of Casey's second half goals to finish with six out of nine in a team that was totally crushed. He was their only goalkicker after Dunn's goal early in the second quarter and one of the few in the tram who could hold their heads high as the Borough's run and midfield dominance led it to an emphatic 97 point victory. Michael Stockdale was one of the few who worked hard all day against the odds in difficult circumstances and was his team's leading possession gatherer with 25 touches.

The Scorpions now have a week to regroup before they meet Werribee in the first semi final and can take some solace from the possibility of regaining between six to eight AFL listed players including ruckman Robert Campbell who was a late withdrawal for Saturday's game.

HOW THE DEMONS FARED

Injuries and suspensions at Melbourne continued to haunt the Scorpions who were left with a season's low eight Demons for the first final of their campaign.

Troy Davis – tried hard in defence but had little impact on the game.

Lynden Dunn - like many of his teammates, he had a quiet day after taking some nice marks early and kicking a goal in the second quarter.

Max Gawn – had his job cut out for him after Robert Campbell withdrew but did well on two former AFL ruckmen in Skipper and Fanning and more than held his own in the ruck. Impressed with his agility around the ground.

Kelvin Lawrence – showed a bit of pace and flashed in and out of play but didn’t do enough on the day.

Joel Macdonald – equal top possession gatherer among the Demons with Macnamara, he worked hard but his effectiveness was limited.

Tom McNamara – started slowly but worked his way into the game under difficult circumstances.

Michael Newton – it was a difficult day for his return after three months on the sidelines and he looked rusty.

Matthew Warnock - was excellent at full back and worked tirelessly all day.

Casey Scorpions 3.2.20 6.4.40 6.7.43 9.9.63

Port Melbourne 3.4.22 9.7.61 17.12.114 24.16.160

Goals

Casey Scorpions Fevola 6 Dunn Gawn Lawrence

Port Melbourne McMahon 5 Rose 4 Burstin Dwyer 3 Cain 2 Lynch 2 Batsanis Fanning Galea McGrath Pinwill

Best

Casey Scorpions Panozza Fevola Stockdale Mohr Warnock Lees

Port Melbourne Valenti Fanning Pinwill Brewer Batsanis Skipper

The stunning second half of the season winning run of the Casey reserves came to a tragic end when they were pipped by a point on the siren of their elimination final against the Coburg Tigers. The Scorpions will rue their errant kicking when they booted 3.9 to 1.0 with the benefit of a gale in the third term but full marks go to the Tigers for mastering the conditions and the rules to come home with a wet sail after trailing by five goals at the last break.

After Coburg levelled the scores, a Casey goal saw the Scorps hold a six point lead with 14 seconds left in the game when the Tigers goaled to again tie up the scores at the 34 minute mark. Under the "Golden Score" rule play continued until the next score - a point to a Coburg player which effectively ended Casey's great run.

It was a tough finish for coach Steve O'Brien who nevertheless deserves kudos for masterminding the team's first finals appearance in many years, one which saw it achieve victories over all of the competition's leading teams.

Mark Weekes and Kieren McShane (4 goals) were the team's best on the day.

Casey Scorpions 6.0.36 7.2.44 10.1 .71 11.13.79

Coburg Tigers 1.2.8 5.5.35 6.5.41 12.8.80

Goals

Casey Scorpions McShane 4 Costigan 3 Tynan 2 Carew Dowse

Coburg Tigers Murphy 3 Cartelli Hore Lirosi Thomas 2 P Ambrose

Casey Scorpions Weekes McShane Tynan Patti Corry Allen

Coburg Tigers Cartelli Kahlefeldt Duhau Thomas Dahl Murphy

Straight after the Casey Scorpions' 97 point loss against Port Melbourne, I declared that they couldn't be written off as a premiership chance. Some people thought this was fanciful but I'm serious.

The main reason is because a number of players who went to Adelaide to play in yesterday's round 24 clash against Port now become eligible under the rules for AFL listed players in the finals.

I've taken most of the following information on eligibility from the Round 22 VFL Record:

There are several rules governing eligibility of AFL listed/rookie players playing for aligned clubs in the finals.

I will ignore the rules that apply for the first round of the finals which have already been played and which were more or less open slather for any listed player not selected in the AFL aligned team on the same weekend.

The selection process changes dramatically for those VFL clubs still in the hunt for the flag from the second week of the VFL finals right through until the VFL Grand Final at Etihad Stadium on Sunday, September 25.

If the VFL club's aligned partner is playing in the AFL finals then selection process will follow as it has throughout the home and away season: those AFL listed/rookie players not selected in the AFL club can play for their VFL aligned club.

But, if the aligned AFL club is not involved in the finals then player eligibility comes into force.

Under this rule, AFL listed/rookie players, who have played AFL football after July 1st, can play for their aligned VFL club as long as they have played at least seven (VFL senior or reserve) games for the aligned VFL club during the home and away season.

But, if an AFL listed/rookie player hasn't played seven VFL games, but has missed eight consecutive weeks through injury then they will also be eligible to play with their aligned VFL club.

What makes the above scenarios murky is if an AFL club which is not involved in the AFL fi nals decides to close down a young player for the season or send players immediately for operations (and let's not forget that the finger has been pointed at Melbourne in recent years both in the later years of its alignment with Sandringham and in the past two years with Casey).

This is my (unconfirmed) list of which AFL listed/rookie players are available for the Casey Scorpions for the remainder of the finals series:

• Rohan Bail *

• Matthew Bate *

• Sam Blease *

• Rob Campbell *

• Troy Davis

• Lynden Dunn

• Jack Fitzpatrick *

• Max Gawn

• Neville Jetta *

• Cameron Johnston **

• Kelvin Lawrence

• Tom McDonald *

• Tom McNamara

• Addam Maric *

• Michael Newton

• Daniel Nicholson *

• Matthew Warnock

* did not play for Casey v Port Melbourne in the qualifying final.

** played for Casey Reserves in team's losing elimination final but performed well and would be an outside chance for selection.

That makes a total of 17 players by my reckoning who are eligible to play for the rest of the final series but not including definite non starters who are out injured for the season.

This means that from last week's qualifying final team only one player - Joel Macdonald - is ineligible for the rest of the finals while six players from the Melbourne team that played at the Adelaide Oval plus Nicholson who went over as emergency are eligible. If Campbell and Maric can come up from their injuries the team will be about as strong as it can get.

I'm not getting carried away and still taking things one week at a time but, as you can see, Casey can only get stronger in the weeks to come if these blokes are allowed to take their places in the Scorpions' team!

Straight after the Casey Scorpions' 97 point loss against Port Melbourne, I declared that they couldn't be written off as a premiership chance. Some people thought this was fanciful but I'm serious.

The main reason is because a number of players who went to Adelaide to play in yesterday's round 24 clash against Port now become eligible under the rules for AFL listed players in the finals. 

I've taken most of the following information on eligibility from the Round 22 VFL Record:

There are several rules governing eligibility of AFL listed/rookie players playing for aligned clubs in the finals.

I will ignore the rules that apply for the first round of the finals which have already been played and which were more or less open slather for any listed player not selected in the AFL aligned team on the same weekend.

The selection process changes dramatically for those VFL clubs still in the hunt for the flag from the second week of the VFL finals right through until the  VFL Grand Final at Etihad Stadium on Sunday, September 25.

If the VFL club's aligned partner is playing in the AFL finals then selection process will follow as it has throughout the home and away season: those AFL listed/rookie players not selected in the AFL club can play for their VFL aligned club.

But, if the aligned AFL club is not involved in the finals then player eligibility comes into force.

Under this rule, AFL listed/rookie players, who have played AFL football after July 1st, can play for their aligned VFL club as long as they have played at least seven (VFL senior or reserve) games for the aligned VFL club during the home and away season.

But, if an AFL listed/rookie player hasn't played seven VFL games, but has missed eight consecutive weeks through injury then they will also be eligible to play with their aligned VFL club.

What makes the above scenarios murky is if an AFL club which is not involved in the AFL fi nals decides to close down a young player for the season or send players immediately for operations (and let's not forget that the finger has been pointed at Melbourne in recent years both in the later years of its alignment with Sandringham and in the past two years with Casey).

This is my (unconfirmed)  list of which AFL listed/rookie players are available for the Casey Scorpions for the remainder of the finals series:

• Rohan Bail *

• Matthew Bate *

• Sam Blease * 

• Rob Campbell *

• Troy Davis

• Lynden Dunn

• Jack Fitzpatrick *

• Max Gawn

• Neville Jetta *

• Cameron Johnston **

• Kelvin Lawrence

• Tom McDonald *

• Tom McNamara 

• Addam Maric *

• Michael Newton

• Daniel Nicholson *

• Matthew Warnock

* did not play for Casey v Port Melbourne in the qualifying final.

** played for Casey Reserves in team's losing elimination final but performed well and would be an outside chance for selection.

That makes a total of 17 players by my reckoning who are eligible to play for the rest of the final series but not including definite non starters who are out injured for the season. 

This means that from last week's qualifying final team only one player - Joel Macdonald - is ineligible for the rest of the finals while six players from the Melbourne team that played at the Adelaide Oval plus Nicholson who went over as emergency are eligible. If Campbell and Maric can come up from their injuries the team will be about as strong as it can get. 

I'm not getting carried away and still taking things one week at a time but, as you can see, Casey can only get stronger in the weeks to come if these blokes are allowed to take their places in the Scorpions' team!

Thanks KC.

We will now see how serious the MFC is about their partnership with Casey!

Thanks again KC

Informative and well considered, as ever.

Are you interested in a senior AFL coaching job? There is one vacant !

I love my local suburban newspaper but must say I was caught by surprise with this story about Caseys drubbing at the hands of Port Melbourne in the qualifying final - VFL: Undermanned Casey Scorpions thrashed

This was the part that got me:

"The Scorpions were missing a large chunk of the team that impressively thrashed the Northern Bullants the previous week, with several regular VFL players being called up for Melbourne's trip to Perth to play West Coast."

Huh!

I thought we played over at Subiaco or whatever they call it these days back in April.

I love my local suburban newspaper but must say I was caught by surprise with this story about Casey’s drubbing at the hands of Port Melbourne in the qualifying final - VFL: Undermanned Casey Scorpions thrashed

"The Scorpions were missing a large chunk of the team that impressively thrashed the Northern Bullants the previous week, with several regular VFL players being called up for Melbourne's trip to Perth to play West Coast."

Huh!

I thought we played over at Subiaco or whatever they call it these days back in April.

Perhaps that is why we did not beat Port we were in WA.

But who was at the adelaide oval?

Obviously not the MFC we would not let Port beat us.

I love my local suburban newspaper but must say I was caught by surprise with this story about Casey’s drubbing at the hands of Port Melbourne in the qualifying final - VFL: Undermanned Casey Scorpions thrashed

Huh!

The article was also wrong about missing a large chunk of the team that impressively thrashed the Bullants. Casey had 10 AFL listed players in the team against the Bullants and only eight against Port Melbourne. They lost Campbell to injury, Bate and Fitzpatrick to the MFC and Dan Nicholson was an emergency but got back Joel Macdonald who was emergency the week before and Juice Newton came into the side as well. It's a few players difference but not really a large chunk.

I hope we finally pull our finger out and support the Scorpions through the finals this year. After a disapointing season AFL wise it would ease the pain somewhat to at least have a dig at some success in the VFL.