Tom Scully

I don't beleive he has made up his mind either way, the hard facts/evidence to back up this beleif is that he said he would look at it at the end of season.

Now I understands everyone anxiety, frustration and anger over this issue and how it can cause a lot of heated debate, but really people come on. The amount of people who must be mind readers with the ability to assume special knowledge of the intentions or thoughts of others and the fortune tellers who have the ability to exaggerate how things will turn out before they happen OMG.

TS has injured himself is it an injury or is it an "injury", he is not playing this week the club must know that he is leaving and have decided to not play him. Oh he is gone because the media says its true, or thats what happened with Ablett and it all happening again wah wah wah.

Scully has said repeatedly throughout the season his stance on when he would sit down and consider anything about contracts etc. Rather then take that at its face value people try conjure up some conspiracy that it has all been decided and he is just waiting till season end.

It also staggers me at the need for people on this post who need to minimise their own personal feelings of betrayal if heaven forbid he sign with GWS by writing him off and acting like its a good thing he is going and he wasn't much chop anyway. All this jumping to conclusions is unhealthy people and teh mind reading and fortune telling is a slippery slope.

Other posters will continue to wait and see and you know what thats the only hard truth about this issue we all need to wait until TS make his decision.

So how do you explain that whilst Scully has stated all along he will wait till the end of year, he will then make up his mind within one week after our last game?

If you were leaving, you have to leave straight away before functions, best and fairest etc but why is it too hard to make a decision at this time with all details laid out on the table, but then he will make his mind up in a few days....hmmm...explain that one. I must wait until the season is finished but then will make up my mind immediately !!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how do you explain that whilst Scully has stated all along he will wait till the end of year, he will then make up his mind within one week after our last game?

If you were leaving, you have to leave straight away before functions, best and fairest etc but why is it too hard to make a decision at this time with all details laid out on the table, but then he will make his mind up in a few days....hmmm...explain that one. I must wait until the season is finished but then will make up my mind immediately !!

Blucher was having a discussion with Brad Hardie on 6PR, that is where that 'one week' came from.

Hardie mentioned that he thought it wouldn't be too long after the season for a decision to be made. Blucher agreed. Hardie mentioned 'one week,' Blucher said something along the lines of 'yeah, a couple of weeks, one week, in that timeframe.'

I guess it is up to the individual to determine how long isn't a suspiciously short time, how long it takes to make this kicnd of decision, and how much one wants to read into the offhand comments of Tom's manager...

Guest hangon007

Thats right, Abletts Family is a massive part of the Geelong Football club. IMO Tom Scully leaving the dee's is an easier decision. Are the dee's one of the top sides in the comp? Are GWS going to be that far behind us? Did Scully grown up supporting the Dee's and did his Father play for them? NO HAs Scully played a heap of footy in the Jumper NO

Ablett walking away from Geelong would have been more emotional for him than the decision that Scully has...

Money talks, people walk...

Its actually very interesting to look into what players GWS got and why the got them. Few walked for pure "money" ... if you look at the real reason... more walked because of internal disputes at their old clubs ... ahhhhhh ... most of the disputes where well known around the AFL community.

Do we face that problem?

Abletts decision in the end was "easy" ... because he had an unworkable relationship with the very man that counts the most in any AFL club the COACH. A coach who all year had pushed him to make a decision for the "team" ... yet when push came to shove ... what did Bomber do?

Guest hangon007

I'll dislike him if he goes and dislike him if he stays. It's fair to say that I'm no longer invested in this selfish person. Well, not majorly.

RPFC you have a dilemma ... I have a gut feeling that "Tweed Pig" is not the only one that feels like this.

The support around here for Tom is just not convincing, its just not overwhelming, a certain amount of apathy & aloofness has crept into the debate. A certain amount of frustration, impatience and selfishness to know the "answer" has fuelled many one eyed supporters to move their opinions based on "Oh the money is just too good". Many appear to be very attached to the "compensation" on the theory that will be better for us anyway ... move him on. Many just never had any fight in their bellies in the first place.

You are in trouble my friend. Your fight is getting near the end.

Edited by hangon007

I think those who think Tom has acted well (in regard to the MFC) should read Giant Inroads.

How can Tom think that having Folau and GWS use his name (while a player for the MFC) to promote GWS is acting with the intergity we all would like to think Tom has?

At the very least Tom should have had his management ask GWS to cease gloating about his recruitment until he "makes up his mind"...

Edited by PaulRB

RPFC you have a dilemma ... I have a gut feeling that "Tweed Pig" is not the only one that feels like this.

The support around here for Tom is just not convincing, its just not overwhelming, a certain amount of apathy & aloofness has crept into the debate. A certain amount of frustration, impatience and selfishness to know the "answer" has fuelled many one eyed supporters to move there opinions based on "Oh the money is just too good". Many appear to be very attached to the "compensation" on the theory that will be better for us anyway ... move him on. Many just never had any fight in their bellies in the first place.

Not me. You can count me in he's already [censored] off faction. When this charade is over there will no left to fight with but yourself.

Edited by america de cali

Its actually very interesting to look into what players GWS got and why the got them. Few walked for pure "money" ... if you look at the real reason... more walked because of internal disputes at their old clubs ... ahhhhhh ... most of the disputes where well known around the AFL community.

Do we face that problem?

Abletts decision in the end was "easy" ... because he had an unworkable relationship with the very man that counts the most in any AFL club the COACH. A coach who all year had pushed him to make a decision for the "team" ... yet when push came to shove ... what did Bomber do?

One of the problems with accepting Tom and his managements request of waiting until the end of season to decide is the history of this strategic timing last season with GC17. The vast majority of players that held off until seasons end and were linked with GC17 left their original clubs. You can put whatever reason on it you like - but they did leave.

Whilst I am prepared to take Tom and his management at face value I think we must also acknowledge that this end of season timeline leaves it open for opinion to suggest that it is designed to cover an easier exit.

This unique set of circumstances that will not be unique in subsequent years due to one more year of GWS concession on uncontracted players and the advent of free agency will mean any player that stalls decision to post season will leave themselves open to the suggestion that they are on the move.

Tom and his management have chosen this timeline - I accept it and chose to believe what I am told. That the MFC and Tom and his management are asking why doesnt everyone believe us - unfortunately history last year showed that this strategy of post season decision delay had only one outcome.

As I said, I have chosen to believe that nothing has been agreed to and the decision is up in the air until the end of season but I could just as easily argue the opposite side of the debate.

Guest hangon007

Not me. You can count me in he's already [censored] off faction. When this charade is over there will no left to fight with but yourself.

You started in the "oh the moneys too good camp" ... because you make up your own mind. Fair call ... but even one of your most vocal supporters would not respond to

I wouldn't because I'd run out on to the G in the red and blue for nothing if I had the chance.

You can't force someone to love the jumper.

Why? ... because he knows it blows is own argument out of the water. B)

"Never judge a man until you have walked a mile in his moccasins."

Edited by hangon007

Guest hangon007

One of the problems with accepting Tom and his managements request of waiting until the end of season to decide is the history of this strategic timing last season with GC17. The vast majority of players that held off until seasons end and were linked with GC17 left their original clubs. You can put whatever reason on it you like - but they did leave.

Whilst I am prepared to take Tom and his management at face value I think we must also acknowledge that this end of season timeline leaves it open for opinion to suggest that it is designed to cover an easier exit.

This unique set of circumstances that will not be unique in subsequent years due to one more year of GWS concession on uncontracted players and the advent of free agency will mean any player that stalls decision to post season will leave themselves open to the suggestion that they are on the move.

Tom and his management have chosen this timeline - I accept it and chose to believe what I am told. That the MFC and Tom and his management are asking why doesnt everyone believe us - unfortunately history last year showed that this strategy of post season decision delay had only one outcome.

As I said, I have chosen to believe that nothing has been agreed to and the decision is up in the air until the end of season but I could just as easily argue the opposite side of the debate.

Sorry this is just not true .... UNLESS ... you want to believe the newspapers. What about the 100's of players you dont hear about? You are only basing your opinions on the few well publicised "leaks" ... last year more players stayed than left. However, thats very common around here, you want to quote the media ... yet miss the untold stories of the failed drafting or trading attempts.

But that does not make good media. NO. Sorry ...its not a story line that SELLS.

Generally the best that gets is a throw away line in an article one day.

Edited by hangon007

I think those who think Tom has acted well (in regard to the MFC) should read Giant Inroads.

How can Tom think that having Folau and GWS use his name (while a player for the MFC) to promote GWS is acting with the intergity we all would like to think Tom has?

At the very least Tom should have had his management ask GWS to cease gloating about his recruitment until he "makes up his mind"...

You are basing this criticism of Tom on the assumption he has been recruited.

And do you think Folau knows anything?

I mean, honestly...

You don't have to like Tom whatever decision he makes, but to criticise him for every aspect of this is unfair.

Sorry this is just not true .... UNLESS ... you want to believe the newspapers. What about the 100's of players you dont hear about? You are only basing your opinions on the few well publicised "leaks" ... last year more players stayed than left. However, thats very common around here, you want to quote the media ... yet miss the untold stories of the failed drafting or trading attempts.

But that does not make good media. NO. Sorry ...its not a story line that SELLS.

Nearly all the information we receive to do with anything we get from the media - be it newspapers, internet, TV, radio etc.

The question is what to believe ? When TS and his management said something how did we receive this information ? Through the media. The media is only a conduit for passing on information and the information may come with heavy filtering to no filtering at all and commetators opinion is often passed on as fact.

So the question is what to believe and what not to believe. And you are 100% right - what about the stories we dont hear. If you dont hear them then you cant factor them into your judgements.

This time last year the drums were beating very loudly for Krakouer, Bock, Harbrow, Richtelli, Brennan and Ablett and they all came to pass. I am sure there were others mentioned but these names all came to pass as going to GC17.

So retrospective judgement on the media who put these names forward showed that they got it right. By this time last year I cant recall big stories regarding footballers that were going to GC17 that didnt end up (happy to be corrected on that).

So I do choose to believe TS and his management and I do choose to question a lot of opinion in the media that is being passed off as fact but by the same token I can understand people making judgement calls the other way because there was a lot presented in the media last year the came to be reality.

Edited by nutbean

Guest The Tweed Pig

The day I take advice from someone that supports the lunacy of a carbon dioxide tax is the day I'll give up on life. But thanks for your concern.

I tried to quote untold stories but am having great difficulty.

Your present a "no win" argument here.

Dont rely on well publicised leaks or quotes in the media - rely on what isnt written and we dont know about.

I will be clear - by this time last year - the big 7 were named as being strongly tipped to go the GC17 and that transpired. I cant recall others that were mentioned in July/August 2010 as going that didnt (I agree that at the beginning of the year GC17 threw a large net out -I am talking about mid year reporting). Correct me if I wrong.

Therefore for people to draw the same conclusions from what is happening now as compared to last year is entirely understandable.

Edited by nutbean

Guest hangon007
When this charade is over there will no left to fight with but yourself.

ohhhh & too your final point.

There is a very good chance when this whole "charade" (your words not mine) is over ... I will be gone for good ... I realise I dont fit in around here. I never wanted too. I'm sorry I dont have the skill set you blokes have. However, just maybe that was one of my points from the very start.

I will leave knowing ... that you will believe what you want to believe. That is your choice in a public forum. I'm sure you will find somebody else to "whip" ... I'm sure it makes you feel better.

Go Dees

PS Just remember the world is changing its 2011.

Guest hangon007

I tried to quote untold stories but am having great difficulty.

Your present a "no win" argument here.

Dont rely on well publicised leaks or quotes in the media - rely on what isnt written and we dont know about.

I will be clear - by this time last year - the big 7 were named as being strongly tipped to go the GC17 and that transpired. I cant recall others that were mentioned in July/August 2010 as going that didnt (I agree that at the beginning of the year GC17 threw a large net out -I am talking about mid year reporting). Correct me if I wrong.

Therefore for people to draw the same conclusions from what is happening now as compared to last year is entirely understandable.

No they are basing their opinions on the players that left ... now interesting when you look at those players why did they leave. The real reason for many .... ITS WAS NOT THE MONEY ... yet the vast bulk that did not go ... it could not have been about the money either ... because they would have stayed on less.

I know why many around here can't quote the untold ... let me guess ... it didn't make the newspapers!!!!! ahhhh ... the very newspapers you want to base your new opinions on. Its beautiful.

No they are only looking at one side of the equation. Hope that helps.

You are basing this criticism of Tom on the assumption he has been recruited.

And do you think Folau knows anything?

I mean, honestly...

You don't have to like Tom whatever decision he makes, but to criticise him for every aspect of this is unfair.

I'm not actually. Tom has the power in his negotiations with GWS to have them refrain from spreading rumour about his intentions, or at least to have GWS enforce that it's employees not discuss his intentions... That he has chosen not to exercise this power displays a lack of loyalty and respect for the MFC.

That lack of respect/loyalty for the MFC implies... naivety or intention on his behalf.

He may stay, in which case he has naively damaged his brand as a loyal MCF player i.e. making it hard for me to be keen on him being a future captain of the MFC. Or he goes...

Edited by PaulRB

Guest hangon007

Sorry I missed this.

Nearly all the information we receive to do with anything we get from the media - be it newspapers, internet, TV, radio etc.

The question is what to believe ? When TS and his management said something how did we receive this information ? Through the media. The media is only a conduit for passing on information and the information may come with heavy filtering to no filtering at all and commetators opinion is often passed on as fact.

Many times its an opinion passed off as "fact". Many times its "spin" ... if you cant work out why. Im not the person to tell you.

This time last year the drums were beating very loudly for Krakouer, Bock, Harbrow, Richtelli, Brennan and Ablett and they all came to pass.

What was the common thread .... Was it MONEY .... no. ahhhhhhhh Will the penny drop.

So retrospective judgement on the media who put these names forward showed that they got it right. By this time last year I cant recall big stories regarding footballers that were going to GC17 that didnt end up (happy to be corrected on that).

Maybe they only got half the story right. But where have I heard that before.

So I do choose to believe TS and his management and I do choose to question a lot of opinion in the media that is being passed off as fact but by the same token I can understand people making judgement calls the other way because there was a lot presented in the media last year the came to be reality.

Yeah ... but good stories dont sell. Its the underbelly of life that sells & it sells big.

Edited by hangon007

No they are basing their opinions on the players that left ... now interesting when you look at those players why did they leave. The real reason for many .... ITS WAS NOT THE MONEY ... yet the vast bulk that did not go ... it could not have been about the money either ... because they would have stayed on less.

I know why many around here can't quote the untold ... let me guess ... it didn't make the newspapers!!!!! ahhhh ... the very newspapers you want to base your new opinions on. Its beautiful.

No they are only looking at one side of the equation. Hope that helps.

Even I am not naive enough to believe that money was not a huge factor in most players going up North. Whilst there is only newspapers for me to back up my statements, please point to any player that went to GC17 on less money than their original clubs offered ?

The reason many cant quote the untold is because....its untold.......its your "no win" argument again. So Ill have another go. You can only make your judgements on what is known. It maybe flawed but thats all we have to work with. You try and make the best sense of what you read and hear. You try and make a judgement on what you believe to be true and what you believe is opinion and spin.

But here is the kicker - last year 7 players that were named by this time of the year as holding off on negotiations and being linked with GC17 ended up there. Please point to the other 000's that by July/August were holding off on negotiations and were linked with GC17.

So can you not appreciate why the likes of RR choose to believe differently ?

I have filtered and judged differently what I have read and have heard to what RR has and have reached a different opinion but I can understand clearly what has led RR to reach his conclusions. In the absense of facts I have reached a different conclusion to RR .

Guest hangon007

I'm not actually. Tom has the power in his negotiations with GWS to have them refrain from spreading rumour about his intentions, or at least to have GWS enforce that it's employees not discuss his intentions... That he has chosen not to exercise this power displays a lack or loyalty and respect for the MFC.

That lack of respect/loyalty for the MFC implies... naivety or intention on his behalf.

He may stay, in which case he has naively damaged his brand as a loyal MCF player i.e. making it hard for me to be keen on him being a future captian of the MFC. Or he goes...

Sorry this is just wrong. Respect goes both ways, loyalty goes both was ... not when it suits you. (but how many times I've said that around here I've lost count)

Tom is 19-20 he is still learning the game ... Give him a break.

Edited by hangon007

I'm not actually. Tom has the power in his negotiations with GWS to have them refrain from spreading rumour about his intentions, or at least to have GWS enforce that it's employees not discuss his intentions... That he has chosen not to exercise this power displays a lack of loyalty and respect for the MFC.

He may stay, in which case he has naively damaged his brand as a loyal MCF player i.e. making it hard for me to be keen on him being a future captain of the MFC. Or he goes...

You do relaise that the two lines in your post are diametrically opposed?

'He should get GWS to stop spreading rumours. He is therefore showing disloyalty.'

'He may stay'

If he does stay, he couldn't have done the earlier 'getting of GWS to stop spreading rumours,' and you would have torched him on something he couldn't do.

The only way he can stop the rumours is to sign. And he has already mentioned when he will sign.

What was the common thread .... Was it MONEY .... no. ahhhhhhhh Will the penny drop.

Again this is your opinion not fact. Ablett and Campbell were two that came out and said that money was a large factor in their decisions but not the only ones.

And the common thread in case you have missed is...they all left - that is the only fact that is not in dispute.

The support around here for Tom is just not convincing, its just not overwhelming, a certain amount of apathy & aloofness has crept into the debate. A certain amount of frustration, impatience and selfishness to know the "answer" has fuelled many one eyed supporters to move their opinions based on "Oh the money is just too good". Many appear to be very attached to the "compensation" on the theory that will be better for us anyway ... move him on. Many just never had any fight in their bellies in the first place.

I support the MFC. I expect MFC players and staff to do likewise. Toms sagging support is due to the fact that the media circus, GWS and his negotiation tactics have made MFC supporters have our noses rubbed into the fact that the MFC is potentially going to lose a very talented young player and (and this is the sting) there is nothing the MFC can do about it.

Supporting a footy team is an emotional business and result of Tom's negotiating tactics have been humiliating for the MFC and I don't like that.

That's why people are drifting off Tom...

Guest hangon007

Even I am not naive enough to believe that money was not a huge factor in most players going up North. Whilst there is only newspapers for me to back up my statements, please point to any player that went to GC17 on less money than their original clubs offered ?

The reason many cant quote the untold is because....its untold.......its your "no win" argument again. So Ill have another go. You can only make your judgements on what is known. It maybe flawed but thats all we have to work with. You try and make the best sense of what you read and hear. You try and make a judgement on what you believe to be true and what you believe is opinion and spin.

But here is the kicker - last year 7 players that were named by this time of the year as holding off on negotiations and being linked with GC17 ended up there. Please point to the other 000's that by July/August were holding off on negotiations and were linked with GC17.

So can you not appreciate why the likes of RR choose to believe differently ?

I have filtered and judged differently what I have read and have heard to what RR has and have reached a different opinion but I can understand clearly what has led RR to reach his conclusions. In the absense of facts I have reached a different conclusion to RR .

I hear you .... thank the lord for the media. It acts as "their facts" finding mission. I'm off to spin some articles now ...

PS ... Its not a "kicker" ... the media where spun these to suit the GC17. ssssshhhhh ... I didn't tell you that.

PSS ... After the event you will never get all the "facts" ... History is 98% of the time written by the winner and its spun to suit them.

I understand fully why RR says what he says, I understand fully why many hold the opinions they do. But such is life ... we are all different.

The only way he can stop the rumours is to sign. And he has already mentioned when he will sign.

Exactly. Tom has the power to stop the whole circus right now.

But he won't. Hence, he's continuing to diminish the MFC.

Guest hangon007

I support the MFC. I expect MFC players and staff to do likewise. Toms sagging support is due to the fact that the media circus, GWS and his negotiation tactics have made MFC supporters have our noses rubbed into the fact that the MFC is potentially going to lose a very talented young player and (and this is the sting) there is nothing the MFC can do about it.

Supporting a footy team is an emotional business and result of Tom's negotiating tactics have been humiliating for the MFC and I don't like that.

That's why people are drifting off Tom...

Maybe then you will only ever have yourself to blame ... but if you want to blame Tom fine ... if that makes you feel better fine.

PS IMHO the MFC are prepared to show some compassion. We are all not the same.