Why Do We Need GC17 & GWS?

Guest hangon007

Guest hangon007

IMHO ... if you are not growing you are dying.

The AFL needs to grow into new, un-tapped markets if we are to maintain growth in our TV & Media rights ... which are the major life blood of the competition.

I've read a heap of anti-AFL sentiment ... However, the days of tribalism are over.

I've read a heap of anti-GC17 & GWS concessions debate ... but surely we have to avoid another Brisbane Bears/ Brisbane Lions fiasco.

Anyway feel free to have your say.

Guest 36DD

The big concern for mine is that given the AFL are relying on the success of the two new teams to grow the game and take on the NRL will they be independent in their decision making going forward?

Given how the expansion has been handled I believe that this will not be the case.

I am not against the idea of a national competition but anyone thinking that this can happen with ten teams in Victoria are kidding themselves. There will be a marked increase in uncompetitive games, which in turn will have a significant impact on sponsorship, membership and survival of a number of traditional vfl teams. the afl are gambling with victorian money that they can overtake rugby in nsw and qld. If the TS melodrama of 2011 is causing heartburn amongst supporters, (and it is) get ready for the brave new world of player transfers, free agency and delayed contract negotiations en masse.

1. melbourne's window is now under great threat;

2. north, richmond, saints, footscray have matured or not-g00d-enough lists and will do it hard over the next few seasons. essendon still playing on adrenalin and may yet fall back into the pelloton.

3. the non vic and non-football states may well be able to boast two teams in each state but this hides the fact that at the least port, brisbane, adelaide and even sydney will have their backs against the wall over the next 3-5 seasons.

4. greater western sink-hole and goldcoast will continue to suck up high picks for the next few seasons placing even greater pressures on an 'even competition'.

5. the major problem is that there are far too many clubs, and the competition has lost its cohesion.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Is there any other reason?

Guest hangon007

Is there any other reason?

Nope. Without it no business will survive. Unless of course you want to be reliant on charity.

The big concern for mine is that given the AFL are relying on the success of the two new teams to grow the game and take on the NRL will they be independent in their decision making going forward?

Given how the expansion has been handled I believe that this will not be the case.

+ 100. Just look at the manipulation of the fixture now (Pies the most obvious example) and it's obvious that the goal is not to create an even playing field, but to get TV network rights and match takings to be as high as possible, so the year end bonus for Vlad and his cronies is maximised.

Nope. Without it no business will survive. Unless of course you want to be reliant on charity.

The business cannot survive without the sport. the 'business' is the parasite living off its host, aussie rules. aussie rules survived as a sport from 1858 until 1965 when ron took three thousand quid per annum to leave the demons and go with the devil.

yeah there's only half a million paid up supporters and an annual gate attendance of about a million people, plus each club and the AFL itself have lucrative sponsorship and coverage deals

who are you kidding to suggest they would not survive without these sides, they are rolling in it

Guest hangon007

yeah there's only half a million paid up supporters and an annual gate attendance of about a million people

Great. All clubs need more ... especially us. Although our supporters are important we must face facts ..this is now a TV & Internet sport.

plus each club and the AFL itself have lucrative sponsorship and coverage deals

Yip so they can get their brand exposed on NATIONAL TV, newspapers & the Internet.

who are you kidding to suggest they would not survive without these sides, they are rolling in it

Oh How people forget. Clubs bigger than us where going broke not that long ago. Its not about survival its about GROWTH.

1. melbourne's window is now under great threat;

2. north, richmond, saints, footscray have matured or not-g00d-enough lists and will do it hard over the next few seasons. essendon still playing on adrenalin and may yet fall back into the pelloton.

3. the non vic and non-football states may well be able to boast two teams in each state but this hides the fact that at the least port, brisbane, adelaide and even sydney will have their backs against the wall over the next 3-5 seasons.

4. greater western sink-hole and goldcoast will continue to suck up high picks for the next few seasons placing even greater pressures on an 'even competition'.

5. the major problem is that there are far too many clubs, and the competition has lost its cohesion.

North should have gone to the Gold Coast, thus the GWS draft would not have been nearly as harsh.

I Blame North. Brayshaw was not able to deliver, now we are stuck with them.

Port & Noth should just evaporate and be forgotten..

We are Melbourne...North are not.

Will be interesting to see how much interest there is about lop-sided games played at half empty stadiums - witness the tv spectacle that was thew West Sydney Razorbacks - zilch !

Guest hangon007

North should have gone to the Gold Coast, thus the GWS draft would not have been nearly as harsh.

I Blame North. Brayshaw was not able to deliver, now we are stuck with them.

Port & Noth should just evaporate and be forgotten..

We are Melbourne...North are not.

Funny you say that ... I heard the North people saying we should have gone.

Funny you say that ... I heard the North people saying we should have gone.

I don't give an absolute stuff what Nourth Supporters say....The MFC have paid their debt and can still pull a 76,000 crowd, while still growing.

Nought Melbourne can only salivate and dream of such things.

Guest hangon007

I wont be encouraging my kids too barrack for a business.

Nope and neither should you. Dont let them spend their time watching a Tv ... or using their ipad or computer then? Id watch sending them to school as well ... just in case the other kids might mention it.

They might even mention the best run "business" in the league Collingwood.

Edited by hangon007

Great. All clubs need more ... especially us. Although our supporters are important we must face facts ..this is now a TV & Internet sport.

Yip so they can get their brand exposed on NATIONAL TV, newspapers & the Internet.

Oh How people forget. Clubs bigger than us where going broke not that long ago. Its not about survival its about GROWTH.

Every shred of loyalty and passion this game possesses is slowly been slapped away with views such as yours. I hope for the sake of the MFC our players dont hold your views.

Anyway, the competition is likely to include at least 2 more clubs in the near future, something which the fat controller is already inching towards. This will dramatically dilute the talent pool. The NBA did the same in 90s introducing a raft of new franchises, since then it is dominated by powerhouse clubs and the rest of the competition is unwatchable. I would seriously think twice before implementing this strategy in the tiny and already saturated talent pool of oz.

Guest hangon007

Every shred of loyalty and passion this game possesses is slowly been slapped away with views such as yours. I hope for the sake of the MFC our players dont hold your views.

Richard Pratt wasn't passionate about the Blues then? Eddie McGuire is not passionate about the Pies then.

What you think of them personally is up to you ... but you cant question their passion.

Anyway, the competition is likely to include at least 2 more clubs in the near future, something which the fat controller is already inching towards. This will dramatically dilute the talent pool. The NBA did the same in 90s introducing a raft of new franchises, since then it is dominated by powerhouse clubs and the rest of the competition is unwatchable. I would seriously think twice before implementing this strategy in the tiny and already saturated talent pool of oz.

Or do we have to spend even more money to look further a field with our scouting & recruiting efforts?

Does your business have to get smarter? or Do you need more money?

Edited by hangon007

We just need to take advantage of a weaker competition ( if this proves to be the case) and win a multitude of flags .

I hope the competition is weak and we stomp teams year after year .

I hope clubs lose by record amounts to us .

I hope we win so much that it becomes boring .

We are in a good spot to do it .

We deserve it .

I wont have one shred of sympathy for any club /s we humiliate .

Bring it on

Anyone that leaves this team now by their own will is a fool .

I hope the above post is true .

If the comp is weak and we win 12 flags in 12 years then we will beat St George's record in Rugby League

This will be the AFL's problem ,not ours .

Does anyone here care if we have this issue?

Edited by Captain Jack Jordan

Or do we have to spend even more money to look further a field with our scouting & recruiting efforts?

Does your business have to get smarter? or Do you need more money?

What this "Business" needs iis 10-15 years of consolidation to let the seeds and roots settle and make a strong foundation....The Fat controller and this present Regime to me seem to be pushing it along far too quickly-along with rule changes every summer which i do not agree with (most of the time).

What has happened in the USA with sports should be looked at closely....To many New franchaises will kill the sport...I am not against change, but it must be introduced slowly with care....We still have no idea whether these 17-18 new teams are going to work....i don't care what Vlad says in his mid season report....There are too many clubs bleeding within S.A Victoria & Qld right now for my liking.

We just need to take advantage of a weaker competition ( if this proves to be the case) and win a multitude of flags .

I hope the competition is weak and we stomp teams year after year .

I hope clubs lose by record amounts to us .

I hope we win so much that it becomes boring .

We are in a good spot to do it .

We deserve it .

I wont have one shred of sympathy for any club /s we humiliate .

Bring it on

Anyone that leaves this team now by their own will is a fool .

I hope the above post is true .

If the comp is weak and we win 12 flags in 12 years then we will beat St George's record in Rugby League

This will be the AFL's problem ,not ours .

Does anyone here care if we have this issue?

I would die a happy man.......No sympathy from me thats for sure, i got laughed at in school for being a MFC supporter, and it still happens to this day....12 in a row.....mmmmmmmm

We the supporters of this great game and foundation clubs.. NO

We the "National" league that thus far has 50% of its teams in Melbourne which wishes to access large advertising dollars up north, yes...

I wish they'd gone with the fans and not brought in these soulless corporate clubs which then in turn steal players devastating original clubs supporters leaving an uneven playing field, but hey, money is money...