Tom Scully

Rogue

I have asked this question before and i will ask it again and again I will put in the disclaimer - the kid has said in his presser that it isnt all about money.

Can someone explain this to me ? If the offers are reportedly $2m apart how can anyone say that the earning potential long term is greater at the MFC ???? - this contract will take him to 25 years old - which means he will have to make up $2M in the last approximate 7 years of his football life ???

You are kidding yourself.

If he stays with us I beleive he will have to accept that he will not make as much money over his career at the MFC. As stated above , I am hoping he sees there are more important things than pure dollars and cents.

Depends on the level of success. If he stays at MFC, wins a brownlow and a couple of flags then his earning capacity goes through the roof. This type of success can affect earnings long after your football playing career finishes.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You really want to do this? With me?

Ok.

It's NAIVE for starters. And I could do the umlaut if I knew how to do them on here.

And it is supercilious with one 'l'...

Unless you are in to the Urban dictionary, which I doubt.

Comprehension. Jeez...

I may be arrogant but I can have a two and fro with people - a skill you lack.

You must physically reel when you see someone reply to one of your posts...

Tom has done what he said he had done - nothing.

He hadn't signed anything when the jounos believed the sweet nothings in their ears.

He said he would wait toill the end of the season, and now that he has both contracts held by his management he has two months to weigh up what he wants to do.

The MFC should be confident of keeping their man.

Fast forward 8 weeks Rpfc. Let's say Tom gets up there in front of the microphones and says he's decided to go. Spouts the same lines as Gary Ablett Jnr and all that ....

What will you say then?

I'd love to see the loading on this contract. MFC surely remembers that a lot of players are up for contracts end of next year?

A few of the other interesting things...

- Aaron Davey (our highest-paid player right now) is veterans-list eligible as of 2013. I didn't realise this until now - that frees up a LOT of cap space for subsequent years. So does Mark Jamar, but if reports are to be believed there may be a move from one of the SA clubs for Rush based on UFA. Nevertheless, that gives us a heap of room for pay rises at that point.

- Col Sylvia and Cale Morton still need new contracts. The former is a must keep, the latter, who knows.

- $1mil/year over 5 years? I would suggest it's structured a little bit differently than that, especially if GWS want to hit up a Pendlebury or a Goddard at the end of 2012.

- Just on everyone mentioning free-agency for a lot of players, remember Restricted FA is for 7-year players with that club, and UFA for 10-year players.

- Finally, actual quotes from actual people rather than [censored] speculation!

Edited by Striker475

Fast forward 8 weeks Rpfc. Let's say Tom gets up there in front of the microphones and says he's decided to go. Spouts the same lines as Gary Ablett Jnr and all that ....

What will you say then?

Ah the future. Can you punch that rat bully Biff for me please.

This just proves so many idiots wrong.

i have to laugh

media cretin #1 "scully is going"

demonland: "that's just unsubstantiated rumour that doesn't mean anything!"

media cretin #2 "Scully is staying"

demonland: "see! this is proof! I told you!"

What will you say then?

Jeez, haven't you walked back your certainty of him leaving...

My position, stated earlier in this thread is:

1. Tom hadn't signed anything.

2. We are in much better shape as a club and we will keep our talent.

If he decides to go, it will be a massive blow to the club and won't reflect well on either party.

But I have never thought that was the likely scenario.

Because why would anyone want to leave Serenity?

OH MY GOD WOULD RPFC AND RANGE ROVER SHUT UP!

Neither of you are bringing anything new to the table, you are just having a personal joust, which, may i add, is so freaking boring.

Why can't we have some patience? Things have accelerated, it may mean he will sign soon weather it be with MFC or GWS, it may not, we just have to wait. This school boy bitching is getting old, it was old on the other Tom Scully thread, and its old 32 pages into this one.

i have to laugh

I would agree with you - except for the fact that we have quotation marks around Blucher's (Tom's Manager) comments.

He is one of the three parties as Tom's representative, and he went on record to say both offers have been received in the past fortnight, Harrington has been informed and Tom will decide at the end of the season.

This isn't rumour.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/malthouse-a-1m-man-expie-coach-20110711-1haqj.html

Interesting idea from Tony Shaw.

As an exercise, I wonder if posters think it would benefit us more to forget Scully and throw the millions at Mick to come and coach us.

One unproven potential star versus one proven premiership coach and currently the best tactician in the game.

Perhaps we've got our priorities wrong ...

Aren't we back to paying 100% of the salary cap?

If so, it matters little, and we should be aiming to secure both!

What will you say then?

The same question could be asked of you RR... you have both been equally fervent in your beliefs that he will either stay or go.

OH MY GOD WOULD RPFC AND RANGE ROVER SHUT UP!

Neither of you are bringing anything new to the table, you are just having a personal joust, which, may i add, is so freaking boring.

Why can't we have some patience? Things have accelerated, it may mean he will sign soon weather it be with MFC or GWS, it may not, we just have to wait. This school boy bitching is getting old, it was old on the other Tom Scully thread, and its old 32 pages into this one.

Sage wisdom.

With one addendum - I always bring proper perspective.

As an aside - did anyone really think RR and I wouldn't post in this thread on the day that article in the Hun came out?

i have to laugh

No, that's not right. All the panic merchants were saying that he'd already signed and that he was lying when he said he hadn't. That's what I (and many others) took issue with, and it's why I'm now carrying a smug look on my face. It's been shown to be completely unsubstantiated with facts and quotes from relevant parties as opposed to he-said-she-saids, thereby being proven to be false beyond any shadow of a doubt.

Of course there's still the possibility he will sign with GWS. It's not truly over until he signs one way or the other, but at least people might (hopefully) ease up a bit on the character assassination now.

Jeez, haven't you walked back your certainty of him leaving...

My position, stated earlier in this thread is:

1. Tom hadn't signed anything.

2. We are in much better shape as a club and we will keep our talent.

If he decides to go, it will be a massive blow to the club and won't reflect well on either party.

But I have never thought that was the likely scenario.

Because why would anyone want to leave Serenity?

I've walked back on nothing.

My point is that people (such as yourself) re setting yourself up for a nasty fall.

That's not false sympathy. I genuinely empathize with passionate Dees fans who have emotionally invested in this player. Bought #31 guernseys for their kids etc etc

That possibility could be removed today by Tom signing Melbourne's tabled offer.

But he hasn't.

Edited by Range Rover

Sage wisdom.

With one addendum - I always bring proper perspective.

As an aside - did anyone really think RR and I wouldn't post in this thread on the day that article in the Hun came out?

I've got no doubt it's guilty pleasure for many. Two of the best minds on Demonland going head to head demon_laugh.gif

Sorry did you think I was serious?

Next time I'll leave a warning at the bottom.

I believed that you were serious but I didn't take it seriously if that makes sense.

You have been making the same noises for some time "making Scully sign" "ending the charade" etc.

I took those posts as being serious also.

The same question could be asked of you RR... you have both been equally fervent in your beliefs that he will either stay or go.

And it would be a fair question Hardtack.

A combination of elated, surprised, frustrated and probably a little embarrassed.

I've gone all-in with my view, so the stakes are high!

I believed that you were serious but I didn't take it seriously if that makes sense.

You have been making the same noises for some time "making Scully sign" "ending the charade" etc.

Sylvia hasn't delayed talks though - they are continuing

Big difference

Guest 36DD

I've got no doubt it's guilty pleasure for many. Two of the best minds on Demonland going head to head demon_laugh.gif

annoying and delusional, what a combo

Guest Artie Bucco

YOU IDIOTS! DON'T YOU KNOW HE HAS ALREADY SIGNED, BACK IN 1986! YOU ALL HAVE YOUR HEADS IN THE SANNNNNNNND!!!

Anyway, I do find this incredibly amusing, to see all the panic merchants tripping over each other to backtrack and shuffle away from "he is already gone" to "he might go, I don't really know at all, but I'll try twist my previous words and then to stick to my guns so I don't look like an idiot..."

Anyway, once again for posterity: staunchly in the "Scully will stay" camp, and I will not waver from that.

Not that any of the like-minded few will receive any credit for being bang on the money from day dot.

We'll just bear witness to more unintentionally hilarious squirming.

Guest Artie Bucco

And it would be a fair question Hardtack.

A combination of elated, surprised, frustrated and probably a little embarrassed.

I've gone all-in with my view, so the stakes are high!

In all seriousness, do you not concede that you argue a lot harder for your "side" of the argument, purely because some ego comes into the equation?

I just think a lot of your posts on this topic exaggerate well past the reasonable.

They were, that wasn't.

From what I understand there was mention on SEN, which I heard, about Sylvia but not much more. When some try to compare the Sylvia negotiation with the Scully non negotiations I get a bit of a laugh going.

I wonder how the club would have gone this year both on and off the field if this wasn't hanging over their heads. Players come and go and I've seen some good ones leave over the years but the club remains and that's all that concerns me, no player is bigger than the club and no player should be able to hog the Lion's share of the salary cap at the expense of his teammates.

Sylvia hasn't delayed talks though - they are continuing

Big difference

How do you know what is going on with either of them?

Neither have signed, we do know that.

annoying and delusional, what a combo

Am I annoying?

I always saw my role in these Tom Scully threads as a fighter of the good fight, a man of honour in a den of thieves, a hero taking a journey, confronting dragons and discovering the treasure of my true self...er.

I am annoying...

Guest Artie Bucco

How do you know what is going on with either of them?

Neither have signed, we do know that.

Because the media speculation and the rumours tell us all we need to know! Duh!