Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - JACK VINEY

einstein251

every1 here seems to think jack will be a #1 draft pick even though he is missing half this season due to injury.

dnt get me wrong, .....

......while you have seemed to get everyone's else point of view completely wrong.

I dont think anyone is putting that view up at all.

Why do posters wilfully fabricate and misstate the "majority view" of other posters? Laziness or failure to read and comprehend?

And here we go again. Speculation, exaggeration and hyperbole. Who here has said Jack will go at one? Everyone? Really?

And since when did 4-6 weeks become half a season? Though just to add, it's a jaw injury that won't stop his general training, and Casey have 2 of those weeks off in any case.

Indeed.

And here we go again. Speculation, exaggeration and hyperbole. Who here has said Jack will go at one? Everyone? Really?

And since when did 4-6 weeks become half a season? Though just to add, it's a jaw injury that won't stop his general training, and Casey have 2 of those weeks off in any case.

Many people have said we should take him at our highest pick, implying that if we finish last we should take him at #1. (Even though it would really make no sense to)

and in 6 weeks is half the season not over? include the few weeks it takes to get back into it and we will be midway through July.

and yes he has been in the system for ever how long, so like i said, if he is the best available at our first pick then take him.

If he isn't regardless of if his had 2 yrs in the system or training with seniors ect then they should take who is the best.

I would rather a kid who is better without 2 years in the system then the one who isn't the better player and has been in the system for 2 years.

Ie: I would rather a Trent Cotchin who hasn't had 2 years in the system over a Cale Morton who has

Edited by olisik

Many people have said we should take him at our highest pick, implying that if we finish last we should take him at #1. and in 6 weeks is half the season not over? include the few weeks it takes to get back into it and we will be midway through July

It would be impossible to take him at 1. So no-one would be implying the impossible.

It would be impossible to take him at 1. So no-one would be implying the impossible.

Not impossible, just foolish.

end of the day if his the best player available at our pick, take him.

If he isn't then take the damn kid who is the best player at our pick!

Reading some of the comments in this thread make me wnat to poke my eyes out. I only hope soem of it in jest.

Before questioning the recruiting of Jack, where he shoud be taken etc. consider the following:

• Recriuters are not idiots and we were never going to be able to bluff on him. He has been in the system for years and has already been targetted by Adelaide.
  • Jack is worth whatever pick we are forced to use on him, not the one we would all like to take him at.
  • Other clubs are already colluding to ensure we take him with a high pick, fact!
  • Who in their right mind here would seriously say we should pass on Jack with the prospect that as an early developer he could be tearing us a new one in 12 months
  • What if we did pass and ended up with a slow developer (Jack Watts, Cale Morton anyone)?
  • What sort of fallout do you think there would be from the supporter base if one of the last two sceanrios happened?

We're gonna have to take Jack with pick 2 or 3 (the way we are going at the moment). We need to get over it.

• Like 1

Reading some of the comments in this thread make me wnat to poke my eyes out. I only hope soem of it in jest.

Before questioning the recruiting of Jack, where he shoud be taken etc. consider the following:

• Recriuters are not idiots and we were never going to be able to bluff on him. He has been in the system for years and has already been targetted by Adelaide.
  • Jack is worth whatever pick we are forced to use on him, not the one we would all like to take him at.
  • Other clubs are already colluding to ensure we take him with a high pick, fact!
  • Who in their right mind here would seriously say we should pass on Jack with the prospect that as an early developer he could be tearing us a new one in 12 months
  • What if we did pass and ended up with a slow developer (Jack Watts, Cale Morton anyone)?
  • What sort of fallout do you think there would be from the supporter base if one of the last two sceanrios happened?

We're gonna have to take Jack with pick 2 or 3 (the way we are going at the moment). We need to get over it.

You would take him if there is an obvious better kid available?

Glad u arnt on the recruiting team.

Not impossible, just foolish. end of the day if his the best player available at our pick, take him. If he isn't then take the damn kid who is the best player at our pick!

No, it's impossible.

If we finish with Pick 1 - no-one is in a position to bid for him until Pick 3 - therefore he will be in the second round.

Clubs know he is a top 10 talent with a great head on his shoulders and a tough body. If he is near talent level with the top few players his intangibles make him a great prospect and possibly a top 3 or 4 prospect - therefore clubs don't want us to get a massive leg-up upon his recruitment.

We are the ones that have lucked out here, Todd had a kid and we get access to him. All the other clubs are doing is trying to make sure we properly pay for him.

Which wouldn't been an issue if we weren't so awful this season.

Edited by rpfc

I would take the kid with pick 2 or 3 lucky we have scully compo so no matter what we get the player rated at that pick anyway. Stringer and viney sound nice to me.

And remember, it's The Teenage Lottery Draft of the AFL © that we are talking about.

If it is a close call between two teenagers and one happens to be:

- a 'brick wall with eyes' as one recruiter has said,

- a tough, hard mid

- had two years in the AFL system

- has a last name Viney

...I will take Jack Viney.

• Like 1

And remember, it's The Teenage Lottery Draft of the AFL © that we are talking about.

If it is a close call between two teenagers and one happens to be:

- a 'brick wall with eyes' as one recruiter has said,

- a tough, hard mid

- had two years in the AFL system

- has a last name Viney

...I will take Jack Viney.

yeh no problem if he is the best available.

if he isnt is when questions will be raised.

alot of names are going to be thrown into the mix between now and the draft.

I tell you what. I'd rather use any pick we have available to us on Jack Viney, and see him lead from the front and deliver his already proven aggression and toughness for the Melbourne Football Club, and continue the legacy his dad left, over drafting it on a guy who apparently has 'natural talent' and then in turn doesn't have a break out game for a number of years, whilst sucking the [censored] of the club and then the media scrutinizing us on picking them whilst letting Viney slip through our fingers.

Even if Jack isn't rated top 3 in this years draft, with his body, skills, and passion for the club I can see him being a better player when playing for the demons and circumstances will show he should have been rated number 1 pick as the season continues. I guarantee it.

Great post, he is part of the missing pieces to our jigsaw. And a very big part at that. Take him whatver GWS & GC force us to do

my question is, would u rather pay $5 for a junior burger or $5 for a big mac

could come down to this

Who is the big mac????? Is whitfield(whatever his name is) better than viney??????

Getting mentioned on Demonland as speculation makes it a fact?

Don't recall claiming that was a fact champ, simply using it as an example as the type of deal that could be made with either GWS or GC to ensure they don;t nominate Viney.

Think everyone else could understand that one....

GWS will oneday pay for the scully crap and i hope it's this year we should go all out to kill this club and take as many of there players as we can i hate them. We started this great game and we need to show this CRAP TEAM we dont take there crap. They are my new collingwood i hate them and want them to fail. We need to screw this club like they did us or we will always been seen as weak. RND 13 cant wait

my question is, would u rather pay $5 for a junior burger or $5 for a big mac could come down to this

But that doesn't look like the choice.

It will be between a Big Mac and a Big Mac in a Red and Blue wrapper that has two years in the AFL system.

This analogy isn't great.

If you knew who that was you would be working in a clubs recruiting department. How many clubs have got picks wrong....in hindsight?

Either way it's a risk. Take him and someone turns out better.....OOOPS!

Pass on him and he turns out better.....OOOPS!

Ditto!

overall i think its to late to come to any conclusions on anything, most the kids still have a majority of there most important year of junior footy ahead of them (Except Viney who is injured)

Once this plays out GWS and GC may be frothing at the mouth of specific kids to think elsewise.

the depressing part is that this is one of the longest threads so far for the year and the kid isnt even drafted yet.

Hope its not the best part of the MFCs year...the draft

Edited by olisik

Why is there an assumption that Viney isn't in the best 3 players in the country?

From what I've heard he is one of the top 3, with Stringer and Whitfield. With those 3 being completely different styles of player, it isn't unreasonable that he could be pick 1. If we end up with picks 4 and 5 then Viney could well be a steal.

But it'll all become clearer as the year goes on.

Edited by Axis of Bob
  • Like 3

Why is there an assumption that Viney isn't in the best 3 players in the country?

Because it suits the Demonland critics of Melbourne's recruiting to think that we might not get one right, for a change. It suits the naysayers to think we'll be paying too much for him, even if we don't.

We are in a win-win situation with the first round compo pick. The further up the ladder we finish, the less we pay for Viney. The further down the ladder, the more our compo pick is worth (even if we have to pay for Viney with #2 or #3).

Of course, the absolute win-win-win situation would be to finish bottom and get Stringer, Whitfield and Viney (at #23), but I doubt that will happen.

From what I've heard he is one of the top 3, with Stringer and Whitfield. With those 3 being completely different styles of player, it isn't unreasonable that he could be pick 1. If we end up with picks 4 and 5 then Viney could well be a steal.

People are grabbing their forks and going on a witch hunt after some media described Viney as a 'potential' top 10 draft pick.

I have heard from plenty of people who should know that Jack is the real deal. I for one dont care where we finish or what pick we are forced to use. We can't lose.

There's no question that at this stage he's considered the best inside mid/clearance player in the draft.

Guess what we need ?

Guess what we need ?

Pick me! Pick me!

Ok, we need at least 3 elite mids with clearance skills, elite decision making, pace and pinpoint disposal. On top of that we also need at least 2 small forwards with pace and defensive awareness who can also snag a goal.

From there we could do with a 6ft5 CHB gorilla. Sellar need not apply.

Viney is a good start though.

Viney is just the player we need. Tough, fearless and can get the ball. I dont care if we have to use our 1st pick. He will be a better draft pick then some of the early ones we have had. He could show a thing or two to some players about how to get the ball and having intensity. We are just lucky we can get him father/son. For years we have been crying out for a father/son pick and now we can get one. The good thing is Jack is around the club twice a week so he knows about game plans and structures and knows his teammates.

Viney would just be the right player that Neeld would love to coach I reckon and Neeld would know exactly what he is getting. I cant wait to round 1 next year.