WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - JACK VINEY

einstein251

The TAC Cup GF was broadcast on SEN yesterday afternoon. While the Oakleigh Chargers lost, Viney was their best (and may have won whatever the equivalent to the Norm Smith is called for BOG in the GF).

Edit: there's a TAC Cup GF thread elsewhere. Apologies for posting here.

Edited by La Dee-vina Commedia

It could be part of an ingenius front-loading contract scheme.

I hope.

I think you should think this through...

What would he be on to make that so vauable?

Would Todd want his 17 year old earning the number figure in your head?

They will be covering his football expenses, making sure he is working on any biomechanic issues, etc to get him ready and have him on a 3 year deal from when he starts playing on slightly better terms than the automatic deal.

Edited by rpfc

I think you should think this through...

What would he be on to make that so vauable?

Would Todd want his 17 year old earning the number figure in your head?

They will be covering his football expenses, making sure he is working on any biomechanic issues, etc to get him ready and have him on a 3 year deal from when he starts playing on slightly better terms than the automatic deal.

I thought it through.

Like Nasher said, you'd expect it to be put away for him.

I think Todd would understand the importance of him being a normal kid up until the time he is drafted, and controlling the money.

Most player managers are involved in this side of things too, even for mature players. Colin Sylvia had such an arrangement.

Plenty of players have been paid handsomely at Jack's age in the past.

Patrick Dangerfield gave a speech as school captain where he joked about making more money than most of the teachers, whilst being a year 12 student.

What I hope, is that money is controlled and that the 5 years worth of salary is being frontloaded so that the full amount can be paid out now, while other players are also on smaller contracts and there is room in the cap.

We didn't need to 'lock' him up.

I think it is just a show of faith.

The contract was agreed to before Todd was at the Dees IIRC.

The main point of my post was that the 5 years was creating a bit of discussion...I didnt think it was anything exceptional and thought that it included this year and next...so really just an extra year on his initial draftee contract...not 5 years once he is drafted.

The "locking" him up I think was more about allowing him and our club to have some certainty going foward and remove the will he/wont he, should I sign/should I not types of senarios that can be a distraction over the two years leading up to the draft. Allowing him to focus on his footy, school etc (as opposed to the Scully approach of letting the contract remain unsigned to "focus on footy"...cause that wasnt a distraction at all...errrr yea right...), as well as giving him access to our facilities and staff and getting to know his team mates. Not to mention the assistanct having him tied up will provided to our list management decisions and the abilty to manage any potential body/injury issues.

I think there was a little more to it than just a good old show of faith...football clubs are not run like that these days...but I dont think the 5 years was any major risk for the club.

Not sure about the reference to Todd because I didnt mention him, but for what its worth, I think your right.

We didn't need to 'lock' him up.

I think it is just a show of faith.

The contract was agreed to before Todd was at the Dees IIRC.

What do you reckon RPFC we should trade him for a development player we don't need any kid that's ready to play and won't get any better; do we?

What do you reckon RPFC we should trade him for a development player we don't need any kid that's ready to play and won't get any better; do we?

You are right Robbie I am worried.

If he is ready to go the first year that probably makes him no good for the future.

Perhaps a trade might be the best.

I am sure there are numerous skinny 18 year olds in next years draft who will break down with foot injuries etc at Casey.

Lets get the deal done quickly!

PS how is Mrs. Robbie?

If he is ready to go the first year that probably makes him no good for the future.

I am sure there are numerous skinny 18 year olds in next years draft who will break down with foot injuries etc at Casey.

PS how is Mrs. Robbie?

Not good OD.

WTF?

He's a brick with eyes.

We need more hardness, not less...

You guys are taking the [censored] aren't you?

Oh, rpfc, you shouldn't fall for RF's shenanigans...

• Like 1

WTF?

He's a brick with eyes.

Yes we were and no you shouldn't.

I am, however, waiting for all those like RR who seem to have a policy of not recruiting ready made players who will be as good as they will ever be in their first year and preferring to recruit players that have a minimum of 4 years before they produce what other kids do in their first game, to provide some comment.

WTF?

He's a brick with eyes.

Hi rfpc just bit of fun mate.

It is September lets all relax, lighten up and enjoy the off season.

Plenty of time to be back at it in March.

Go Dees

Edited by old dee

It's bullshite that we can't play him next year! He's ready to go!

Is there any footage of him from yesterday's game? What pick do we have to use on him, is it going to be our first rounder? How does this work? Other clubs know we want him and they will force us to use our first pick right?

Is there some kind of loophole we can [censored]?

It's bullshite that we can't play him next year! He's ready to go!

Is there any footage of him from yesterday's game? What pick do we have to use on him, is it going to be our first rounder? How does this work? Other clubs know we want him and they will force us to use our first pick right?

Is there some kind of loophole we can [censored]?

If he was not our father and son player and he was available at out first pick would we take him?

Yes of course.

Chances are that if he keeps up this years form he would be no.1 pick next year.

And we get him with a lot higher pick.

Just use our first pick he is worth it.

Forget all the rest.

What I hope, is that money is controlled and that the 5 years worth of salary is being frontloaded so that the full amount can be paid out now, while other players are also on smaller contracts and there is room in the cap.

Well, if they are thinking that far ahead - is it saving a great deal of money?

What would he be on?

It's his first three years of footy and the draftees get around $75k in their 'automatic contract' so would we pay him $300k/$350k for his first three years?

We would have to pay him something in those years to live on so the same as the other recruits - $75k?

Leaving about $75k - $125k saved by paying him the money in 10-11 and 11-12.

I guess it would help a little with salary cap room but I doubt they would be doing it.

Chances are that if he keeps up this years form he would be no.1 pick next year.

And we get him with a lot higher pick.

Just use our first pick he is worth it.

Forget all the rest.

That is soothing to know. And has put my mind at ease. That was going to be my next question- where do you think Viney would go in the draft..

Thank you for reading my post! :)

Yes we were and no you shouldn't.

I am, however, waiting for all those like RR who seem to have a policy of not recruiting ready made players who will be as good as they will ever be in their first year and preferring to recruit players that have a minimum of 4 years before they produce what other kids do in their first game, to provide some comment.

No, I get you.

But...

I would get Viney for what he can do at 23 aswell as what the can do at 18.

You don't draft in the first round for immediate impact.

It's too big of an investment.

Just how I see it.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't get in ready-made bodies, but to do that in the first round is haphazard and leads to making "Molan's" out of molehills...

Trying out a clever turn of phrase...

Probably didn't work.

It's bullshite that we can't play him next year! He's ready to go! Is there any footage of him from yesterday's game? What pick do we have to use on him, is it going to be our first rounder? How does this work? Other clubs know we want him and they will force us to use our first pick right? Is there some kind of loophole we can [censored]?
If he was not our father and son player and he was available at out first pick would we take him? Yes of course. Chances are that if he keeps up this years form he would be no.1 pick next year. And we get him with a lot higher pick. Just use our first pick he is worth it. Forget all the rest.

Yeah, listen to OD.

We have been KOTD by genetics here.

I'm happy to wait for him and it's great to see him do so well after losing a similarily talented player leave the club recently...

Rd 1, 2013 - James McDonald handing over his 23 to Jack Viney.

That is soothing to know. And has put my mind at ease. That was going to be my next question- where do you think Viney would go in the draft..

Thank you for reading my post! :)

Yes I resisted the temptation!

KOTD?

Kissed On The Dicker, Ian Dicker, nice to see you again, that Kennett fellow is taking the credit for all your hard work. Tsk, tsk.

It was a turn of phrase invented by Hannabal/Lone Wolf/Glengarry Glen Ross/Trav 20/Tweed Pig.

I think I repeated it about 100 times in the following couple of months. Even Jaded used it...

Interestingly in an article by Sam Landsberger in todays Sun, the last paragraph stated "Viney is not eligible to be drafted until next year, but has committed to a three year deal with the Dees under the father son rule from 2013.

Which perhaps could be correlated with the five year deal mentioned in the Age as being for this year and next in development and then three years on our main list.

It was a 5 year deal. Remember reading the article late last year. 2 non-playing years, included outside the salary cap (as he is not a member of the playing staff) then 3 playing years.

The reasons for it were multiple. Part of it is to include it under MFC medical stuff as he is training at the club and has been all year. If he were to do so without a contract then there would be exposure if he were injured.

There's also loyalty stuff, getting him involved early so it's an easy transition and preparing him so he'll be ready to go come rd1 2013.