Norm Smith quote

Gouga

I am currently reading 'The Red Fox - The Biography of Norm Smith Legendary Melbourne Coach' by Ben Collins.

For those that haven't read the book it is well worth buying a copy (from the club of course) - it is a great read. I am getting an appreciation for how legendary Norm really was as well as a couple of his teammates like Percy Beams and Jack Mueller.

The book has plenty of great quotes from Norm but one struck me as being particularly relevant to the current day Demons (if you can call them that?).

When a young teammate was getting ahead of himself after a couple good games early in his career Norm said:

"...take the attitude that: 'You're only as good as your next game'. If you live by that, and truly believe it, it will always keep you striving to be better".

I think as a team, our players get ahead of themselves. Whether it is a good game or even a good quarter we seldom come out and match our efforts in the next game or quarter. Too many of our players seem happy with themselves when they perform well and don't appear to have the drive to back it up again and again and again.

An example I can give that typifies this is the Hawthorn game in Round 2 this year. Hawthorn had sprayed the ball all over the place and as a result had 13 behinds nearing half time. As a result we were winning. Lynden Dunn was heading to the bench at the same time that Cameron Bruce was coming back on. Dunn, being Dunn, deviated towards Bruce with a snide grin on his face and tried to make contact. Bruce, being Bruce, avoided the contact and took his place on the field.

As a supporter I was not happy to see that from Dunn. Because as far as I was concerned, we were not on top at all. We were lucky to be in the game and had some serious issues to address at half time. Rather than 'rubbing it in' Dunn should have been sprinting to get his waiting teammate on the field. Like I said, I didn't like it and it gave me a bad feeling.

We all know what happened next. Bruce put through one of Hawthorn's early goals in the third quarter and we were smashed for every minute of the second half.

In a lot of ways this year so far has been more disappointing than the last few. The reason is teams that have started behind us such as Richmond and West Coast are now passing us by. Not because they have more talent, but because their players are bringing the right attitude. Every week when I do my footy tips I think long and hard about the Richmond game because I know that Richmond will be competitive.

I would love to know that Melbourne players were going to bring the right attitude when they take the field. I would love to know that Melbourne will be competitive. But at the moment, unfortunately, it is not the case. I can't help but feel how much better off we would be if we had a legend like Norm Smith standing on the boundary ready to grab any player that is not giving it his all by the scruff of his neck and give him a burst. Instead, unfortunately, we have Dean Bailey handing out slaps on the back.

Edited by Gouga

Nicely written, I walk past Norm Smith each time i go to my seat in the MCC Reserve. The "Team of the Century" Painting hangs on the wall on Level 2.

Norm's energy still pumps. Maybe that painting needs to also be in the Melbourne Rooms.

All is Forgiven Fox.

Nicely written, I walk past Norm Smith each time i go to my seat in the MCC Reserve. The "Team of the Century" Painting hangs on the wall on Level 2.

Norm's energy still pumps. Maybe that painting needs to also be in the Melbourne Rooms.

All is Forgiven Fox.

Me too - whenever I have a guest in the MCC I always make them stop by the Team of the Century painting to pay some respect.

Me too - whenever I have a guest in the MCC I always make them stop by the Team of the Century painting to pay some respect.

Do you know if it is the original? It looks like it is to me. I hope so.

I should get a poster next time i am in the "Demon Shop"

It is truly a mighty painting. That was a team that EXPECTED to win. The Team that inspired John Kennedy's Hawthorn.

Look what happened and continues to happen to those Buggers!!

Guest Artie Bucco

Your Dunn example is poor.

I don't think what he did had anything at all to do with getting ahead of himself, or what Bruce subsequently did.

As for adopting that mindset, it's all very good in theory...

Do you know if it is the original? It looks like it is to me. I hope so.

I should get a poster next time i am in the "Demon Shop"

It is truly a mighty painting. That was a team that EXPECTED to win. The Team that inspired John Kennedy's Hawthorn.

Look what happened and continues to happen to those Buggers!!

It is definitely the original!

Your Dunn example is poor.

I don't think what he did had anything at all to do with getting ahead of himself, or what Bruce subsequently did.

As for adopting that mindset, it's all very good in theory...

I doubt he would have done it if we were losing. You're right, that incident in isolation has nothing to do with us subsequently losing the game. But I think it is an example that typifies our players attitude at times this season.

Edited by Gouga

Guest oldman emubitter

something i was thinking this week is relevent to this thread.

col sylvia comes out in the press and states 'we have to make a stand this week'.i would much rather have heard

him say we're going to make a stand for the rest of the year. no more of this week by week rubbish, set a goal to

be hard at it for the rest of the year. does this group set goals beyond 'being competitive?'

you wonder if this playing group has the desire and resolve to want to win a premiership. i get the feeling some

of them are playing for the perks and nothing else.

i haven't seen any real mongrel in the melbourne footy club since swooper and that's a shame.

Guest Artie Bucco

I doubt he would have done it if we were losing. You're right, that incident in isolation has nothing to do with us subsequently losing the game. But I think it is an example that typifies our players attitude at times this season.

Have you ever watched Dunn play?

He does that sort of thing win, lose or draw.

He'd be an annoying $&%# to play against.

It typifies his constant mindset of an antagonist, nothing more.

Guest Artie Bucco

I would happily take the Hawthorn Mindset every single day of the year. 10 Flags in the last 50 years. 9 since we won anything.

That is a ridiculous comment.

What does that even mean?

It doesn't have any tangible value or relevance.

Have you ever watched Dunn play?

He does that sort of thing win, lose or draw.

He'd be an annoying $&%# to play against.

It typifies his constant mindset of an antagonist, nothing more.

Believe it or not I have watched him play (how else would I have seen him running off the ground against Hawthorn?).

If I was the opposition I would love to play against Dunn. He is inconsistent, soft and undisciplined. Oh, and living off an ok year last year. Which goes to my point in my original post.

Guest Artie Bucco

Believe it or not I have watched him play (how else would I have seen him running off the ground against Hawthorn?).

If I was the opposition I would love to play against Dunn. He is inconsistent, soft and undisciplined. Oh, and living off an ok year last year. Which goes to my point in my original post.

Obviously you have, I was inferring that you haven't watched him closely enough for long enough.

The Smith quote was ok.

I see what you're trying to say about our list.

Applying the sentiment of that quote to the mindset of the list is another matter entirely.

Reading them that quote won't do it.

And I'm sure Bailey is working on ways to do it.

Using Dunn as an example is a poor choice.

Obviously you have, I was inferring that you haven't watched him closely enough for long enough.

The Smith quote was ok.

I see what you're trying to say about our list.

Applying the sentiment of that quote to the mindset of the list is another matter entirely.

Reading them that quote won't do it.

And I'm sure Bailey is working on ways to do it.

Using Dunn as an example is a poor choice.

Agree, a quote is a quote. But the quote typifies the culture our club once had. The only way our players will develop that win at all cost attitude is if we shift our current culture. I am sure Bailey and Co. are working on it, but after 3 years to develop I am concerned that others are passing us by.

Dunn was an example that struck me, and I am sure there are many others that other members/supporters have noticed so far this year.

That is a ridiculous comment.

What does that even mean?

It doesn't have any tangible value or relevance.

I really don't know what planet you are on Artie...But it aint the same as mine.

A winning culture can exist, just ask Dermott how he felt during his career walking into the ground. Both Home & Away.

Expected to win. Never hoped, but expected.

When did you last expect the MFC to win a game? (Barring the GC Suns game)

Guest Artie Bucco

Why not the mindset of the 1993 Bombers?

Why not the mindset of the 2004 Power?

What about the 1980 Tigers?

What about circa 2000 Hawthorn?

Premiership teams in general have great attitudes.

The mindset of Hawthorn hasn't been consistent over all this time.

And expectations aren't a surefire catalyst for success.

Why don't we, like the OP alludes to, adopt the attitude of the 1950s demons?

I'm sure we don't live on the same planet.

Your series of cliches and careless comments tend to annoy me.

Why not the mindset of the 1993 Bombers?

Why not the mindset of the 2004 Power?

What about the 1980 Tigers?

What about circa 2000 Hawthorn?

Premiership teams in general have great attitudes.

The mindset of Hawthorn hasn't been consistent over all this time.

And expectations aren't a surefire catalyst for success.

Why don't we, like the OP alludes to, adopt the attitude of the 1950s demons?

I'm sure we don't live on the same planet.

Your series of cliches and careless comments tend to annoy me.

Yes any of those above Premiership Mindsets would do fine thankyou Artie, Hawthorn was used merely as an example of Team Excellence, as they basically had it for a 20 year straight stint. Imagine that 20 years of the team expecting to win.

Dermott tells of yearly bookings of end of season trips always after September..(Before the season started they already knew they had most of their oponents licked)

Young kids came into those sides and just stepped up, they had too, or else it was 100 games in the 2's.

If you think this is all cliques and careless comments, Fine i am not bothered.

But i would be interested to know your feelings towards this club between 1965 (post Round 8) till 2007.

What ocurred o wise one????

Edited by why you little

Hawthorn were a team that certainly had some high spots during that 20 year period. They also had some not so high points during that time. And you find in Dermot's era all teams (not just Hawthorn) went on end of season trips...Even Fitzroy in its final year had an EOS trip to Bali when they wrecked a hotel. I dont know why an EOS trip was anything special because having known a number of the players of that era of Dermie, the EOS trips that Hawthorn went on were more an event of men behaving badly overseas rather than a demonstration of culture. And in the times when the Hawks were successful and the VFL/AFL system was what it was, most young players at HFC (unless you were a Brereton) did an apprenticeship of 4 to 5 years in the reserves before being promoted. They were grown men when they got to play VFL football. It was not a case of step or you get 100 ressie games. Another spin of fiction.

What WYL is saying is that he'd like it if the Demons could win a premiership.

...me too.

Hawthorn were a team that certainly had some high spots during that 20 year period. They also had some not so high points during that time. And you find in Dermot's era all teams (not just Hawthorn) went on end of season trips...Even Fitzroy in its final year had an EOS trip to Bali when they wrecked a hotel. I dont know why an EOS trip was anything special because having known a number of the players of that era of Dermie, the EOS trips that Hawthorn went on were more an event of men behaving badly overseas rather than a demonstration of culture. And in the times when the Hawks were successful and the VFL/AFL system was what it was, most young players at HFC (unless you were a Brereton) did an apprenticeship of 4 to 5 years in the reserves before being promoted. They were grown men when they got to play VFL football. It was not a case of step or you get 100 ressie games. Another spin of fiction.

I don't see the connection between end of season trips and on field success?

I don't really care what the Dees do in October (to an extent) as long as they are doing everything right between November and the next September.

I don't see the connection between end of season trips and on field success?

I don't really care what the Dees do in October (to an extent) as long as they are doing everything right between November and the next September.

Neither do I. And I was questioning why it was raised by the culcha vulcha WYL as some demonstration of a winning culture. Hell, given the media attention I would have thought EOS trips are as publically acceptible as Carlton's boat cruises on the Yarra.