Why our club is still on the critical list.

Roost It

As with other small clubs we lack the resources(cash) to guarantee our success. Worse still we lack the belief. Belief is an intangible quality that takes time to instill in an organisation. Virtually all the players we have recruited over the last few years came to the club with a strong sense of belief in not only their abilty but in themselves. Trengove shows it, Scully shows it, Frawley owns it, Watts has it. However Green clearly doesn't have it, I seriously doubt whether he truly believes that we can be the best. What did we do, we made him Captain. That's not Brad's fault entirely. The club as a whole hasn't had the belief at any stage since the 60's. That's a long time to tread water. Actually we didn't even tread water we sank and almost drowned.

In came Jimmy, A true believer as his remarkable fight against cancer has shown. I bet he can't wait to handover the leadership of this club to the young players I mentioned. It won't be until these players are leading on the field that this club will have a chance to rise up. Green, Davey, Rivers and Moloney are are leaders. Who here wouldn't swap them for Trengove, Scully, Frawley and Watts, not to mention Grimes.

Personally I'd move Bailey on at the end of the year, along with several of our terminally mid range players and put this group in charge. It's not until players who really believe that they are the best can this club truly believe again. It can happen but it won't happen overnight.

Green probably realises that if we do win a premiership in the next 5-10 years, there is a good chance that he would have moved on (by choice or not) before that time.

As with other small clubs we lack the resources(cash) to guarantee our success. Worse still we lack the belief. Belief is an intangible quality that takes time to instill in an organisation. Virtually all the players we have recruited over the last few years came to the club with a strong sense of belief in not only their abilty but in themselves. Trengove shows it, Scully shows it, Frawley owns it, Watts has it. However Green clearly doesn't have it, I seriously doubt whether he truly believes that we can be the best. What did we do, we made him Captain. That's not Brad's fault entirely. The club as a whole hasn't had the belief at any stage since the 60's. That's a long time to tread water. Actually we didn't even tread water we sank and almost drowned.

In came Jimmy, A true believer as his remarkable fight against cancer has shown. I bet he can't wait to handover the leadership of this club to the young players I mentioned. It won't be until these players are leading on the field that this club will have a chance to rise up. Green, Davey, Rivers and Moloney are are leaders. Who here wouldn't swap them for Trengove, Scully, Frawley and Watts, not to mention Grimes.

Personally I'd move Bailey on at the end of the year, along with several of our terminally mid range players and put this group in charge. It's not until players who really believe that they are the best can this club truly believe again. It can happen but it won't happen overnight.

There is merit in what you write, this season still has a lot to offer this club. Hopefully it will unearth Natural Leaders so Brad can spend time kicking goals.

Green doesn’t show much on field leadership when the chips are down, but there’s no doubt players would all respect him for his career to date & record at AFL level. That respect would surley be behind why he was given the captaincy. It’s easy to criticise the decision in hindsight, but there weren’t alot of other options. Beamer probably leads the most on the field, but im sure people on here would have been critical of any decision to give him the role based on his 2010 form.

The young guys you mention are all in their 2-3rd year. Yes they are good players but it would have been a massive call to give anyone of them the gig at the start of the year. Out of the young guys you mentioned Grimes was probably the only plausible captaincy selection at the start of the year...

Green doesn’t show much on field leadership when the chips are down, but there’s no doubt players would all respect him for his career to date & record at AFL level. That respect would surley be behind why he was given the captaincy. It’s easy to criticise the decision in hindsight, but there weren’t alot of other options. Beamer probably leads the most on the field, but im sure people on here would have been critical of any decision to give him the role based on his 2010 form.

The young guys you mention are all in their 2-3rd year. Yes they are good players but it would have been a massive call to give anyone of them the gig at the start of the year. Out of the young guys you mentioned Grimes was probably the only plausible captaincy selection at the start of the year...

I am not saying people do not respect Brad Green as a person or for his evolving AFL career...But i will say he is NOT a natural Leader...Leaders thrive on being the man in charge. Greeny is being weighed down, he has no energy left for the on field at the moment.

We need another leader to emerge.

Roost It a fair bit of what you say may be true

However in this era of GWS and GCS it is impossible to change a large number of the playing group quickly.

GWS will get most of the young players plus unsigned seniors.

They will out bid us in most cases, it will be even hard to hold some of our young players you mentioned.

So IMO we are stuck with Green, Dunn etc for the next two years mininium.

We got in before the draft became a GWS / GCS benefit and a least got some good juniors.

But the basic group we have now is it till 2013 in my opinion.

So for better or worse the current group is what we have to work with over the next couple of years.

We need to improve this lot because IMO there is not much of an alternative.

I'm sure Brad Green had plenty of belief in the club when he joined in 2000, playing in a couple of finals in his first exciting year. Same with Bruce, Wheatley and Whelan. It doesnt mean that will equate to success.

Roost It a fair bit of what you say may be true

However in this era of GWS and GCS it is impossible to change a large number of the playing group quickly.

GWS will get most of the young players plus unsigned seniors.

They will out bid us in most cases, it will be even hard to hold some of our young players you mentioned.

So IMO we are stuck with Green, Dunn etc for the next two years mininium.

We got in before the draft became a GWS / GCS benefit and a least got some good juniors.

But the basic group we have now is it till 2013 in my opinion.

So for better or worse the current group is what we have to work with over the next couple of years.

We need to improve this lot because IMO there is not much of an alternative.

It's exactly why we need the culture to change in a hurry. We have the talent we just don't have the FD or the belief to turn them into a premiership team.

It's exactly why we need the culture to change in a hurry. We have the talent we just don't have the FD or the belief to turn them into a premiership team.

Well someone has the job in front of them.

Too big for me.

Good luck whoever you are at the MFC

Guest hangon007

Neither do we have a supporters base who believe either ... culture is club deep not departmental. Our football department dont have a monopoly on blame here.

Sometimes you just have to start living for today ... you should view ever game as its your last. This is not to say you should not formulate a plan, just dont get toooooo fixated on it ... because things change ... [censored] happens.

Well said and it would have been a massive call to go young, but I would have given it to Sculls or Trenners (probably Trenners after watching him in the media last week). They would have grown into the role under the guidance of older players who aren't quite cut out for the role themselves (ala Hird/Bomber). And in turn, we would have sorted ourselves a long term, topline captain. It would have been a revolutionary call, but one I believe would have been well worth making in the long run.

Or Green knows we can be the best and is struggling with the pressure of expectation! Wasn't the captain of our football team nearly All Australian last year? We are eight games into a new season and we are ahead on points to the same stage last year all be it by 2 but it's still a progression. Surely he needs some time to get his feet wet in the role and can't believe so called supporters are calling for his head 8 games in. Clearly Green will have a two year tenure as captain and that won't change and nor should it! There is a strategy and a long term plan in place set up by a solid off field front office and all involved are working towards that. Green would know himself that he may not be there for MFC's next premiership but for f*#ks sake lets get behind him and support him and lets not hang him out to dry just yet! In two years the likes of Trenners, Scully, Grimes, Watts and Frawley will be leading a fantastic dynasty but they will be the icing on the cake that was started years before by the likes of the players we have now and Big Jim!

I for one am looking forward to a massive final 14 rounds. Go Dees!