nutbean

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our future forward line (2014) will hopefully look something like this

F: Jurrah(AA) Watts(AA) Lawrence

HF: Petterd Cook Wonaeamirri

If it does then we've recruited really well.

A stab at the rest

C: Blease(AA) Trengove(AA,Brownlow)) Morton(AA)

HB: Nicholson Frawley(AA) Tapscott(AA)

B: Garland Martin McKenzie

R: Gawn Scully(AA) Viney(AA)

I: Evans, Gysberts(AA), Sylvia(Norm Smith Medal), Bennell(S)

MFCFS

get yer 'and off'of it

Lawrence, Evans AND Nicholson??

They haven't shown THAT much.

As with all these "team x years away", it doesn't take in to account the players drafted between now and then who come on early, it doesn't take in to account all the players whose careers have fallen flat on their faces, and it includes players who in all probability won't make it (because otherwise there's not actually enough numbers). I bet if you look at posters' "projected 2010 best 22" sides from 2007 they'd look absolutely nothing like our current side does.

It's why doing these types of projections is a waste of energy.

My point exactly.

Well... it's what I was thinking at least, not the point I made though.

I remember seeing some from then not that long ago.

They all had Daniel Bell, Brock McLean and Ryan Ferguson in key positions on the field.

Someone ..or all answer me this WHy would you have 2 attacking forward and a defensive forward if you could have 3 attacking forwards who were a pain in the butt for an opponents backline ? By negating your ferocity by dedicating more eforts to defendingh the forward line than utilising better attacking forwards you are al but conceding the game. Football is very much between the ears.. Taking an overly defensive stance is playing a negative game.

I await

Await no longer- Beacuse three attacking forwards may miss those spectacular, morale destroying miracle goals that are so important but so risky only to have the ball swept out of the forwrd line by a defender. A d.Defensive forwards' role is to keep the ball in the forawrd line to ensure that these miracle goals can happen.

Next Question

I heard DB's pre-game speech against the Toiges last year when Dunn was given a run with role against Deledio. The instructions were very specific and DUnn creamed a guy who was touted at the time as All Australian. And kicked 5 goals in probably his best game for the club.

Because of that I watch him closely and he is a team player. We often don't know what role he has been given and that's where some of the critics need to tone it down.He was dropped when he didn't perform his role and he gets a game when he does.

He is 192/193 which is the same height as a NIck Reiwoldt. He is such a valuable size to us because of his ability to go fwd, play a tag or create a bit of havoc. I'd like to see more consistency in his output but these guys are not robots. They will have ups and downs. I think he is important to our team balance.

Someone ..or all answer me this WHy would you have 2 attacking forward and a defensive forward if you could have 3 attacking forwards who were a pain in the butt for an opponents backline ? By negating your ferocity by dedicating more eforts to defendingh the forward line than utilising better attacking forwards you are al but conceding the game. Football is very much between the ears.. Taking an overly defensive stance is playing a negative game.

I await

Do you understand the concept of a defensive forward and how a good one plays?

Because it doesn't seem like you do.

I await

If your 6th forward is of less benefit than the opposition's best attacking defender you'd want to negate him at least a bit.

If your 6th forward is of less benefit than the opposition's best attacking defender you'd want to negate him at least a bit.

That's right - you end up with most skillful defender on least skillful forward - one of their top 6 on one of our bottom 6. If our forward is intent on getting separation from that backman we're in trouble. The damage the backman will do is much greater than the forward.

It's not quite that simple - all forwards need to apply defensive pressure so that backmen aren't free to create - that's what Jurrah needs to improve, and all backs need to be able to attack, otherwise the opposition will alweays let that defender get the ball when the opposition is in possession, that's Bartram's and Warnock's limitation - but that's a whole other story.

The attacking defender will be a good reader of the play and know when to play tight and when to zone off to become an attacking option - you can't let him dictate the terms. The defensive forward will play close to the defender and sometimes take advantage of the separation the defender is trying to achieve and score himself. Goals by Dunn are a big bonus.

Edited by old55

I await

You need one in every forwardline to play on players who cough it up under the pump, like a new Hawk recruit!

I'm really disappointed that Petterd is not playing. He has the x factor so many players don't and every team needs them. Good leap, fast off the mark. He should be given as many games as possible as soon as possible. Is it Bennell,Dunne or Bartram to go for him. I similarly like the potential of Bennell but prefer Petterd. I'm not unhappy with Dunne as a forward come utility but I believe he will be overtaken in a year or two. I believe their are to many pushing for spots for Bartram to be kept. His strengths are OK but weaknesses are a liability.

Do you understand the concept of a defensive forward and how a good one plays?

Because it doesn't seem like you do.

oh..dear...you like Rogue in his answer below/above abnd others seem to over look the simple premise...A foraward is a forward..his not there as a defender simply relocated to teh front line.

All forwards need the mongrel to get teh ball.. to regain the ball and do something with teh ball in a positive maner...i.e push it between the sticks preferably off a foot.

The idea of a forward is to inflict scoreboard pressure... Thats how we win this game..

So much sh!t is spoken about an offensive defence or defensive forward etc that many seem ( again ) to happily invest in the gobbiediegook that purports to represent higher understanding of this relatively straightforward game.

What many dont want to come at is the notion that it ought to be in the nature of all players to defend thir turf...ot offer resistance to any rebounds to negate your direct or for that matter indirect ( if closer ) opponet.. Thats just part of the menu of skills and ideals of the player.. Its not hte raison detre of that position ( ie, forward ) to DEFEND...its to attack. To place a precedence of defence over attack for a forward is to surely nullify his whole reason for being there.

Its very clever of some to profer the notion that its a new game..the moden game...or this is how its done today.. Its wafle.. The minutae of the style may have changed over the years.. Theres no doubt the speed has picked up but teh rest of the game is essentially like its always bben...one team kicks one way the other also..but the opposite direction.

For mine when you start paying more attention to what your opposition is doing when your the attacker..i.e forward then its to surrender the higher ground..the psych game is lost as youre already pandering to the game the oppositionwants to play.

Forget alll this guuf about a prioiry of defensive presure what its really about is applying forward attacking pressure. The bigger blokes are there to use their bodies to assert their pressure in offence...if the ball goes to teh oppostion then they apply more offence in order to get it back..its not defensive pressure.. as logical argument surely shows you defend in defence..you attack in offence.

Too many people are buying into too much psychobabble thats happily pushed by those that would have you believe the rubbish theyll write at the behest of either their media boss or not to look like a wally in their foorty peer world.

When youre going forward youre applying forward offensive pressure.

Its fine to stand your ground where ever you are on theground and dowhat yo can to stop the opposition advancing...when youre in their half of the ground..youre defending..when youre in yours your attacking...whetherh you have the ball or not.

When people start suggesting a forward is out there to defend..then for mine get him off the ground as hes a useless forward..Hes missed the point.. ( no ..not me..him ) the best forward over the years didnt defend..they attacked..always did.

I'm perfectly happy with the defensive forward, and goals aren't important if that is your job.

I just have seen some bad habits from Dunn and I have seen a few of them in 2011. He has to step up, he has been here for 7 years and done very little.

He is in danger of being eclipsed by a similar player. Especially with the resting ruckman placing a premium on smaller forwards and their harrassing skills.

dunn is our new brad miller.

it's interesting to note both bate, dunn and pettard are averaging around a goal a match for us. which just isn't enough

Bloody hard to play as a key forward the way we set up. We play too far up the ground then it's a race to get back when we have a turnover. How they hope to develop Watts as a CHF under this plan is a mystery B)

oh..dear...you like Rogue in his answer below/above abnd others seem to over look the simple premise...A foraward is a forward..his not there as a defender simply relocated to teh front line.

So much sh!t is spoken about an offensive defence or defensive forward etc that many seem ( again ) to happily invest in the gobbiediegook that purports to represent higher understanding of this relatively straightforward game.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7415/newsid/112267/default.aspx

The rebounding defender has evolved into one of the more important roles in the game. Those players who can be part of your back six, and bring the ball out of defence to set up scores, are like gold. We even tag them these days, such is their influence. This has brought about the arrival of the defensive forward - who would have thought?

Rogue, me and oh ... Barry Prendergast

yes..the rebounding defender...thats the oppsotion player...ffs..

as many now like to use the basketballanalogies of half court and full court press. Those instrumental in that are instigating an "offensive" play...they are not defending, they are not applying defensive presure thay re applying OFFENSIVE pressure.

SO in the footbal equivalent DUNN who is a forward if 'gauarding' his terrioty and applying pressure to the rebounding defender , then he is attacking..he is in offence. He's not defending anything.

as many now like to use the basketballanalogies of half court and full court press. Those instrumental in that are instigating an "offensive" play...they are not defending, they are not applying defensive presure thay re applying OFFENSIVE pressure.

SO in the footbal equivalent DUNN who is a forward if 'gauarding' his terrioty and applying pressure to the rebounding defender , then he is attacking..he is in offence. He's not defending anything.

I disagree. His job is to make it more difficult for the opponents to move forward (ie towards their own goal), when they have the ball. This is pretty much the same as any defender's role. The only difference is which part of the ground he's doing it in. Does all defence only occur in the back fifty? Back half? Defensive goal-square. It's all just semantics.

Huh?

I think you miss the point BB.