OPEN LETTER TO THE MIKE SHEAHAN

Demonland

Absolute trash article only written because he had to take an opposing view to John Anderson. Virtually calling the kid a liar.

After reading his most recent beat up ("Tom Scully's a poised Demon but question remains"), a piece which flatly contradicts pretty much everything he said in his video wrap-up of Scully's press conference, I think it may be time to just stop reading anything he writes. In defiance of the scientific method, he argues that "until he signs with Melbourne, he is headed for GWS." By that logic, every player who is out of contract is heading to GWS. Since the number of players who swap clubs is far smaller than those who stay, surely the move to GWS should be considered the experimental hypothesis, i.e. something which needs to be proven. And yet, none of these Nobel laureates of the press has offered the slightest evidence that we should disbelieve Scully. Instead we're expected to disbelieve everything he says "because." Spare me.

I don't know if it was a full 180 turn but...

I mean Mike - "Until he signs with Melbourne he is headed to GWS"?!

What the frack kind of statement is that?

Until I get-up in the morning I will never wake-up?

It's MFCSS.

I mean Mike - "Until he signs with Melbourne he is headed to GWS"?!

What the frack kind of statement is that?

Until I get-up in the morning I will never wake-up?

Until I get married, I'm trying to marry someone else.

Isn't that exactly what WJ is doing?

Perhaps, but the issue is broader that Melbourne or Tom Scully-it effects any club who gets a high ranking draft pick Latterly Richmond would be in almost the same position. Clubs no sooner blood a talented young footballer than they are poached under one of Demetriou's harebrained schemes. It seems to defeat any moves to stabilise the competition.

My view is that Demetriou and his cronies scheme to make GWS and Western Sydney an AFL stronghold should be exposed for what it is- an idiotic venture that is devoid of any logic in terms of demographics and long term viability. Even if GWS can, by dint of poaching champions from other clubs, fluke a premiership-it will be a hollow victory, they most likely will be a memberless club, if such a thing is possible, within a few years allegiances The western suburbs of Sydney is Rugby League heartland with a strong soccer following and an AFL club unlikely to pick up many supporters locally. Nor are many of its recruits likely to come from Western Sydney for many years

Do we really think GWS is going to make a significant contribution to the local sporting community? I think that the more likely scenario is the Sydney Swans model where comparatively little is done by this club for the development of junior Australian football.

And at what cost is this pipe dream to be achieved? The continual leaching of the best players from other clubs will only lead to the comparative weakening of the less successful clubs so that so clubs will always be propped up. The introduction of new clubs also narrows the available pool of highly talented players available and leads to unfair and illogical fixtures- The ideal fixture from a fairness viewpoint is that each club play the other clubs twice a year. The more clubs the more inequitable the fixture becomes as some clubs will play strong teams twice while others play them once.

This is the sort of analysis that the sporting press should be undertaking not the continued focus on one particular club and individual, which is really only regurgitated news and not particularly constructive.

Guest 36DD

After reading his most recent beat up ("Tom Scully's a poised Demon but question remains"), a piece which flatly contradicts pretty much everything he said in his video wrap-up of Scully's press conference, I think it may be time to just stop reading anything he writes. In defiance of the scientific method, he argues that "until he signs with Melbourne, he is headed for GWS." By that logic, every player who is out of contract is heading to GWS. Since the number of players who swap clubs is far smaller than those who stay, surely the move to GWS should be considered the experimental hypothesis, i.e. something which needs to be proven. And yet, none of these Nobel laureates of the press has offered the slightest evidence that we should disbelieve Scully. Instead we're expected to disbelieve everything he says "because." Spare me.

Glad it weren't just me who saw the red mist when reading his article this morning, my fry up almost went thru the wall. I think we can safely say given his coverage of the Tom Scully - GWS saga that Mike Sheahan is an A Grade [censored]. How can he, in the space of less than 24 hours, go from saying I feel Scully will remain at Melbourne (video) to "until he signs with Melbourne, he is headed for GWS" is beyond me, though I am obviously expecting too much from a man who sniffs the crotch of Rupert Murdoch. Did your little ego take a battering overnight Mike when a 19 year old flat out refuted your claims that he had signed with GWS. Dont try and save face Mike you are a lacky, a complete non entity, an oxygen thief and a parasite on the game. Mate the births, death and marriages department of the Herald Sun is calling.

What makes a good journalist. Someone who can write well and presumably with a little colour to make what they are writing interesting. They love venturing out of the field of being a reporter to where they give opinion. In this area you need insight, wisdom, a quality character and who knows what else to write a valuable piece. Without such you start distorting the subject with your own prejudices and agenda's. For most it is just an ego trip. In the case of football differentiate between those who have been there and done it as opposed to those suburban footballers (VFA/VFL down)who are still at the age of 60 trying to prove they are important in the game- the could 'ave beens.

When it comes to opinion writing I would want to know a lot more about the background of the writer before I took to much notice. Mike - I wonder about his story and ability to judge people, there decisions and values. Something suggests to me about the way he writes there is far more to his personal story than we actually know. I wouldn't take much notice of the guy.

Guest 36DD

What makes a good journalist. Someone who can write well and presumably with a little colour to make what they are writing interesting. They love venturing out of the field of being a reporter to where they give opinion. In this area you need insight, wisdom, a quality character and who knows what else to write a valuable piece. Without such you start distorting the subject with your own prejudices and agenda's. For most it is just an ego trip. In the case of football differentiate between those who have been there and done it as opposed to those suburban footballers (VFA/VFL down)who are still at the age of 60 trying to prove they are important in the game- the could 'ave beens.

When it comes to opinion writing I would want to know a lot more about the background of the writer before I took to much notice. Mike - I wonder about his story and ability to judge people, there decisions and values. Something suggests to me about the way he writes there is far more to his personal story than we actually know. I wouldn't take much notice of the guy.

Nailed it

Huh?

Can't a bloke just be a nervous MFC supporter at heart and write piece of rubbish?

Guest 36DD

Huh?

Can't a bloke just be a nervous MFC supporter at heart and write piece of rubbish?

Shouldn't he be condemned for showing symptoms of MFCSS rpfc???

Guest 36DD

HR intimated a greater personal distress than MFCSS and you shouldntry and back that up, lest you sound foolish.

You disappoint me, seemed like a opportune time to dust off that favourite of yours, the MFCSS.

Btw, I wasn't backing up comments on Mike's personal life, cant stand his public persona, dont even want to know bout his personal and private life....it was the first two-thirds of HR's post which struck a chord, maybe I should learn how to bold quotes like your good self

Probably has half a dozen pre-written Scully/GWS articles already up his sleave, all of them saying the same thing but worded differently and severely lacking any substance.

Yet always leaving an opening for a "to be continued..." such as "until he signs with Melbourne, he is headed to GWS" ? :rolleyes:

Well written, but as a man that works within media circles, I can tell you that Sheahan won't have any sympathy or regret.

His job is to report unbiasedly and to provide entertaining opinionated articles. He wants to get hits and people reading his articles, and in order to do that, especially on the internet, you need to write hyperbole, you need to pump and hype things up.

If I was in his position, I'd probably be writing a similar article, whether I was critical of Melbourne fans in the past or not. He was writing that article as a football commentator, not a Melbourne supporter. He has fulfilled his obligation as an unbiased commentator.

Guest 36DD

Well written, but as a man that works within media circles, I can tell you that Sheahan won't have any sympathy or regret.

His job is to report unbiasedly and to provide entertaining opinionated articles. He wants to get hits and people reading his articles, and in order to do that, especially on the internet, you need to write hyperbole, you need to pump and hype things up.

If I was in his position, I'd probably be writing a similar article, whether I was critical of Melbourne fans in the past or not. He was writing that article as a football commentator, not a Melbourne supporter. He has fulfilled his obligation as an unbiased commentator.

Hey, i'm not looking for favourable comment from Mike just because he is supposedly a Melbourne supporter. My concern is that he published views which are biased purely in an attempt to generate sales for Mr Murdoch. Now, having worked in the industry as well, I realise that there is always goin to be spin and pushing certain agendas, never more evident at News Ltd, the difficult thing for me is that many people cant challenge what they read and swallow it whole.

Additionally, I was extremely disappointed with the aspersion cast on Tom Scully's character, in that, all the comment made during last Friday's press conference were disingenuous and that the most likely outcome was that he would be headed to GWS. Any, fair minded, impartial listener would have deduced that the total opposite was more likely.