THE TOM SCULLY TO GWS THREAD

DirtyDees DDC

Not equivalent but pretty damned close.

And it's hard to stay calm when our likely future best player and linchpin of any premiership success is being unfairly ripped from our side.

Sorry but this thing stinks to high heaven and we as supporters should be making a lot of noise about it.

The campaign to receive significant compensation from the AFL if he goes should begin in earnest now, not later.

WTF?!

It is not a fait accompli.

And if we act like it is then it will be.

HAve some confidence in your club to keep such a talent and stop freaking out over hypotheticals.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd put money on it.

You're just praying it is something like that

Even if we get a number 1 pick in advance, won't it be for next year in which case we already Viney lined up? So other clubs will force us (by bidding) to use #1 on Viney instead of say #10 as we were going to. Therefore #10 will be our compensation for Scully who is the best prospect on our list. Plus it is set back 2 years

Guest 36DD

I'm already over this Scully speculation.

Eddie would have good mail from Kleiman as he used to work at Collingwood, I did a sports management course with Kleiman and was in a few classes and you could make a case for him having a brown nose so he would be happy to share info with Sir Ed McChin.

If I were Melbourne I would force Scully's hand. Simply tell him that the club is bigger than the individual and we will not have our team distracted by constant information. If your future is with us then lets sit down and negotiate a contract, you will not be paid more at the end of the season as we are currently offering now as we rate you so high and an integral part of our future. If he doesn't sign what will be our best offer, regardless of future performance then it says he sees his future elsewhere.

If Melbourne's best offer is rejected play him at Casey for the season and put some games into another youngster who is committed to Melbourne. Why should we further develop Scully so another team most likely GWS can benefit. As soon as Adelaide found out that Bock had signed he didn't get another game.

Mark Kleiman.

Not sure about him being Eddie's minder.

Gubby Allen who is creating this [censored] is the former recruiting manager from the Lions, but before that he was at... Collingwood.

He even masterminded the pinching of Buckley from the Lions after 1 season.

Reckon Gubby is feeding his old mate Eddie a bit of misinformation to create this whole mess??

I'd put money on it.

Bingo.

Having not long ago read Nathan Buckley's autobiography, I expect it to get a lot messier.

GWS List Recruitment Manager (or whatever the exact role is) Gubby Allan, then Collingwood's recruiter, gives a detailed account of the games played in recruiting Buckley from Brisbane.

One of his main aims was to feed misinformation to as many sources as possible, to create chaos and instability.

The media machine wasn't half the size it is today.

And also

Bear in mind, in James Hird's autobiography, he says Paul Salmon explained to him why he made the final decision to leave Essendon for Hawthorn.

There were a multitude of reasons that made him consider it, but fans began to believe that he'd go before a decision had been made.

Salmon played poorly in a final for Essendon (when he was injured and shouldn't have been playing) but was booed by their supporters.

That is what convinced him to leave, and it turned out to be his last game as a bomber (until he went back years later, for a final season).

Tread carefully when trying to be so cutthroat about loyalty.

Eddie would have good mail from Kleiman as he used to work at Collingwood, I did a sports management course with Kleiman and was in a few classes and you could make a case for him having a brown nose so he would be happy to share info with Sir Ed McChin.

If I were Melbourne I would force Scully's hand. Simply tell him that the club is bigger than the individual and we will not have our team distracted by constant information. If your future is with us then lets sit down and negotiate a contract, you will not be paid more at the end of the season as we are currently offering now as we rate you so high and an integral part of our future. If he doesn't sign what will be our best offer, regardless of future performance then it says he sees his future elsewhere.

If Melbourne's best offer is rejected play him at Casey for the season and put some games into another youngster who is committed to Melbourne. Why should we further develop Scully so another team most likely GWS can benefit. As soon as Adelaide found out that Bock had signed he didn't get another game.

Ugh.

You're just praying it is something like that

Even if we get a number 1 pick in advance, won't it be for next year in which case we already Viney lined up? So other clubs will force us (by bidding) to use #1 on Viney instead of say #10 as we were going to. Therefore #10 will be our compensation for Scully who is the best prospect on our list. Plus it is set back 2 years

No, I am not hoping - it is so bloody obvious you could not miss it.

It may be true, but if that's the case, why the need for Sheedy to come out in the media and push the issue harder?

GWS would sit back content they already had him in the bag.

Gubby is feeding this to Eddie. No question.

I'm pretty sure a compensation pick would be protected from F/S bidding.

WHAT??!?!???

I didn't beleive the 6 mil over 6 years rumour as i thought we'd match that.

3mil upfront then 2 mil a year is more like it. They'd build a team around him.

It's serious money and i know what i'd do. Don't forget, he hasn't supported melbourne all his life.

Yeah, and that was so helpful for us when we got Judd.

That is silly money and is pure BS.

This site is being used as a conduit for BS rumours designed to prise this kid away from the club.

I call shenanigans!

Wait - what?

Wow.

That is staggering.

Guest 36DD

WHAT??!?!???

Simple, put an end to all this cancerous speculation, put forward our best offer now, we already are aware of his abilities, its not that big of a risk to offer him a huge contract. If he doesn't sign then the speculation ends there, play him at Casey or release him to GWS.

Sick off people who take the softly softly approach thinking that in the long run it will help in negotiations, it will not. I am telling you why let this distract the team all season, and believe me it will, look how it ate away at Geelong, it was like a cancer. If he wants to go, then let him go, wish him the best and MOVE ON, play a kid who wants to be at Melbourne.

For christ sake you are like a lot of lovestruck teenagers who breaks up with a girl and keeps her number in the hope she will contact you again. Delete the number and move on, life is far too short.

Simple, put an end to all this cancerous speculation, put forward our best offer now, we already are aware of his abilities, its not that big of a risk to offer him a huge contract. If he doesn't sign then the speculation ends there, play him at Casey or release him to GWS.

Sick off people who take the softly softly approach thinking that in the long run it will help in negotiations, it will not. I am telling you why let this distract the team all season, and believe me it will, look how it ate away at Geelong, it was like a cancer. If he wants to go, then let him go, wish him the best and MOVE ON, play a kid who wants to be at Melbourne.

For christ sake you are like a lot of lovestruck teenagers who breaks up with a girl and keeps her number in the hope she will contact you again. Delete the number and move on, life is far too short.

It is not soft, it's confident and respectful.

And when you're dating I dare say you don't say "well, I heard you were talking with this guy at a cafe. I don't know if its true but I don't care. F... me right here or get lost."

Attention all geniuses wanting to play Scully at Casey if he has signed.....

It would lessen the compensation we would get.

Significantly.

That said, I don't believe a word Eddie says and ignoring the hype as best I can

Edited by Rod Grinter Riot Squad

It would leesen the compensation we would get.

Significantly.

That said, I don't believe a word Eddie says and ignoring the hype as best I can

Exactly RGRS - give him the BnF I reckon and we might end up getting some compensation for him.

man it is going to be torture watching him all year. I won't feel much like celebrating when he plays a good game. Whatever happens from here the pressure has just gone up on him tremendously. Fancy running around out there with everyone talking about you as one of the highest paid players in the game in your second year and your teammates not knowing if you are in or out. This sucks.

Forcing Scully to make a decision before he is ready, can only end badly for us.

The way I see it, the best we can do as supporters is do just that - support him and the club.

Stick fat and stay confident he will stay.

In the end if we adopt that mindset, if he goes, there's nothing we could have done to change that.

It's largely out of our hands.

By giving these rumours more legs than they deserve, we only help GWS' cause.

If he goes and we have played him in the seniors all year - what have we really lost, that we would not lose if he played out the year at Casey?

Nothing, except we've had a chance to be pre-emptively retributive.

Recalcitrant brats while we do the work for GWS, essentially.

That's what Gubby is doing his best to create - a self-fulfilling prophecy, fed by the frenzied panic of our own supporters.

It's amazing the effect confidence has.

Constantly reminding him of the GWS option makes it more feasible in Scully's mind.

If you dismiss it and treat it like it is an impossibility, that also can become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Significantly.

That may be the case...it also may not be...there are a number of factors...B&F finish I think is one...but pick in the draft they were taken at...how much they will be paid at their next club is another...and the reported figures alnone may be enough to get us to the top tier...

Not saying I know...or agree we should play him at Casey...but not sure what you are saying is fact...

I really don't know how E25 and KS can be so confident in their theory. I pray to Christ they are right but where does this certainty come from?

I just know that being a panic merchant brings absolutely no good whatsoever.

It is only counterproductive.

Guest 36DD

It is not soft, it's confident and respectful.

And when you're dating I dare say you don't say "well, I heard you were talking with this guy at a cafe. I don't know if its true but I don't care. F... me right here or get lost."

Dude it is really quite simple and you have missed the point of my analogy entirely, why did Scully and his management say he wouldn't not be signing a contract until the end of the season??? Was it because he wanted to focus on his footy??? F#$K me how is he going to focus on football with this circus goin on, hell the season hasn't even started. If he were serious about focusing on his footy then he would have signed an extension already.

To me this is flakey behaviour and if a girl were to exhibit this, colour her gone. No problem with my GF speaking to any guy, having guy friends etc etc, but if inconsistencies pop up then its time to move on rather than [censored] a dead horse. That being said I am single, have 6 cats and am about to pop out and buy a hawaiian shirt for my next over 40's P&O singles cruise.

Why do people have to tip toe through life hanging on to the notion it will somehow resemble a hollywood movie, man up.

Significantly.

Your ignoring skills need work...

You're right though. But there are better reasons not to play Scully at Casey. It is self defeating and pointless and a hypothetical that doesn't require comment.