Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

THE TOM SCULLY TO GWS THREAD

DirtyDees DDC

What, we will look stupid if we play him all year to discover he he already signed with GWS?

This thread is ridiculous. Did Rischitelli play doggo this year because he had signed this year for GC17?? No, he won their B&F.

Did Gary Ablett play doggo? No, had a great year (didn't win their B&F because their cowardly and hypocritical coach had a personal spat with him)

Scully will wait until the $1Billion TV rights deal is complete before negotiating as it is fait accompi that salaries will be skyrocketing. His worth at the end of this year will be a significant multiple of what he could sign for now.

His management is doing the right thing by Tom. Now, relax. I don't think I can bear 27 more weeks of this thread!!!!!!!!

There is a very easy solution to your problem "jnrmac" don't look at the thread!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Thomo

Tom Scully will never earn the same amount if he stays in Melbourne, no future contracts will be as big as the alleged GWS offer is. They are in the unique position to have an extended salary cap - Melbourne will never have this. As a professional footballer, it may be his goal to set himself up for life with a big contract, or it may be to win a flag with is friends. Nobody on here knows what his motivation is.

I'd like the club to wait and see what his disposal is like this year before offering a huge contract. To me it seemed to be a real weakness last season, and if it does not improve dramatically he will not be the star that many assume he will be.

This is getting ridiculous. For myself I will be annoyed but not shattered if Scully leaves. If he wants to leave a club that is on the way up for a club that will be useless for the majority of his career fine then I have no sentiment or care for disloyal players.

Go for the money but be first tagged and physically targeted and be part of a terrible unsupported team. We will have our stars turning into superstars and Jack Viney coming in so we are more than capable of dealing with his departure. Personally I love scully playing for us but if he leaves then his loss as far as I am concerned.

This is getting ridiculous. For myself I will be annoyed but not shattered if Scully leaves. If he wants to leave a club that is on the way up for a club that will be useless for the majority of his career fine then I have no sentiment or care for disloyal players.

Go for the money but be first tagged and physically targeted and be part of a terrible unsupported team. We will have our stars turning into superstars and Jack Viney coming in so we are more than capable of dealing with his departure. Personally I love scully playing for us but if he leaves then his loss as far as I am concerned.

This si the kind of ridiculous talk that makes me nervous about some of you innocently 'chatting' or writing letters to Tom and his family.

Negotiations are just that.

Stop being so naive - he (through his manager) is trying to get a good deal and that's his perogative.

It doesn't make him a 'greedy [censored] that can eff off.'

Im not saying that. All I am saying is I am sick of all the talk. If he leaves fair but we have the players to compensate for his loss if indeed he does leave.

It's fine that he is negotiating a deal but what I am saying is that if he does leave I wont be burning jumpers with his number on them like the Torres fans.

Im not saying that. All I am saying is I am sick of all the talk. If he leaves fair but we have the players to compensate for his loss if indeed he does leave.

It's fine that he is negotiating a deal but what I am saying is that if he does leave I wont be burning jumpers with his number on them like the Torres fans.

Ahh, the old "I don't care if he leaves, he's not that good anyway". I haven't decided if that's better or worse than "my life is over, he's already got a foot out the door" yet.

Let's get the facts out there:

- Scully appears to be a rare breed of player; the irreplaceable type. In the same way that West Coast have never been able to cover the loss of Judd and Cousins, we could not replace him if he left.

- It will be shattering if he goes. Anyone who would not be shattered is either lying, or doesn't understand football.

- Hand wringing / stressing about him leaving is unconstructive. Writing him letters / Tweeting him / stalking him / taking matters in to one's own hands is worse than unconstructive. It's damaging to the situation.

- The probability of him going at the moment is very low, despite everyone in the footy world trying to scare us.

Any questions?

Im not saying that far out I said I love Scully playing but no one player is bigger than this club. I am just over all this bull crap about him leaving/not leaving I repeat and read and remember this statement .. NO ONE PLAYER IS BIGGER THAN THIS CLUB!

He is a freak of nature and an unbelievable talent but we have players who can be stars where we can still compete if infact he leaves. Its not going to set us back 5 years if he does. I want him to stay obviously but if he doesnt its not the end of the world.

FWIW I dont think he will leave and contrary to anyones belief Im not in the petition or stalking him crap I havve faith in our club to discuss and manage his situation.

Agree rpfc/Nasher.

I'd like communicate to those furious at these rumours, to please let the negotiations and season take it's course. There is no need for 'bad talk' or 'bad mouthing' based on mere speculation, and young Tom doesn't need it, nor does he arguably deserve it. Be mindful and think about the possible consequences before commenting as such. As this sort of thing breaths life into journo's looking to fill their paper. His primary focus and the teams focus is to put their best foot forward in 2011. No need for lingering distractions.

Finally, I hope Tom and his team have a very good season. I'm sure he is itching to get out there.

edit: hadn't seen Nasher's post (included Nasher)

Edited by High Tower

Ahh, the old "I don't care if he leaves, he's not that good anyway". I haven't decided if that's better or worse than "my life is over, he's already got a foot out the door" yet.

Let's get the facts out there:

- Scully appears to be a rare breed of player; the irreplaceable type. In the same way that West Coast have never been able to cover the loss of Judd and Cousins, we could not replace him if he left.

- It will be shattering if he goes. Anyone who would not be shattered is either lying, or doesn't understand football.

- Hand wringing / stressing about him leaving is unconstructive. Writing him letters / Tweeting him / stalking him / taking matters in to one's own hands is worse than unconstructive. It's damaging to the situation.

- The probability of him going at the moment is very low, despite everyone in the footy world trying to scare us.

Any questions?

nailed it!

Scully is going to be a top player if everything goes right for him. But at the moment he is a young kid (albeit of huge promise) with one year of AFL under his belt. He is about to start his second year at Melbourne.

If he were to leave at the end of the year, I think it would be realistic to put the opening date of our GF window back from 2103 to 2014. It would also lower our chances of flags in the years 2014-2018. But it wouldn't put us into throat-slitting territory.

In 2011, lets look at three scenarios for him:

1) He has the season we all hope for him, top 3 in the Bluey, double digit Charley votes, improvement in skills and hardness.

2) 2nd year blues, doesn't quite get there, but still full of promise.

3) Interupted season due to one or more injuries.

Its only after scenorio 1 that Sheedy, even if he is rapidly descending into senility, would offer the 6x6 package. But I can't see the six years. Try 4 max. The last really long term contract was when the Lions signed up Alistair Lynch as FF for the term of his AFL life, and he earned one third to one half his true market value per year.

After that scenario we would be offering 3-4 years at a good whack. 1.5M over 3 years? 2.?M over 4? What do posters think would be a realistic offer? Remember that after 3-4 more years, at age 23-24, he would be at his peak, and may well have a Brownlow and a flag (or two) at Melbourne. You might compare his case to Ablett's then. And so might he.

If scenario 2 comes about, then the gloss may well come off the silly money offers being rumoured. Me, I'd still make him the same offer to stay (maybe only the 3 year option, but) and it would look a lot more competetive against a reduced GWS approach.

Scenario 3 would require careful consideration and analysis of the injury. I'd think GWS would drop out of the picture, so it would be an internal MFC deal. Length of contract and dollars balanced against chance of recovery and impairment of function.

So it is only the scenario 1 situation the really causes pressure IF the rumours are true. If we would have offered 1.5M over 3 years, and 2.?M over 4, how much higher would we go to retain him in the face of GWS offers? Please bear in mind that the last time we paid up bigtime to retain a player for fear of them being poached was with Woey, and that did not turn out well.

So to put some perspective into this thread, what is a 2-year, 45 game Scully in top form worth at the end of 2011, and how much over those odds could we go to keep him if GWS are bidding?

The only other suggestion I have is to spend a much smaller amount (say $100,000? or the equivalent in Swiss Francs?) on a bonus to Scully's management if he stays here. Wouldn't want them to be giving him wrong advice just because they might make more money. And any such payment would be outside the salary cap as far as I can tell.

Tom Scully will never earn the same amount if he stays in Melbourne, no future contracts will be as big as the alleged GWS offer is. They are in the unique position to have an extended salary cap - Melbourne will never have this. As a professional footballer, it may be his goal to set himself up for life with a big contract, or it may be to win a flag with is friends. Nobody on here knows what his motivation is.

I'd like the club to wait and see what his disposal is like this year before offering a huge contract. To me it seemed to be a real weakness last season, and if it does not improve dramatically he will not be the star that many assume he will be.

I agree Thomo, all last year I thought Trengove was a much better kick.

I too think it would be foolish for the MFC to agree to a big salary based on rumour.

I am confident the MFC know what they are doing!

I do not want to lose Scully however if he goes for the big dollar then what can we do about it.

Nothing.

If we cannot keep him with a reasonable amount of money and other benefits then so be it.

When and if it happens we move on worse things have happened to the MFC.

Edited by old dee

Scully is going to be a top player if everything goes right for him. But at the moment he is a young kid (albeit of huge promise) with one year of AFL under his belt. He is about to start his second year at Melbourne.

If he were to leave at the end of the year, I think it would be realistic to put the opening date of our GF window back from 2103 to 2014. It would also lower our chances of flags in the years 2014-2018. But it wouldn't put us into throat-slitting territory.

In 2011, lets look at three scenarios for him:

1) He has the season we all hope for him, top 3 in the Bluey, double digit Charley votes, improvement in skills and hardness.

2) 2nd year blues, doesn't quite get there, but still full of promise.

3) Interupted season due to one or more injuries.

Its only after scenorio 1 that Sheedy, even if he is rapidly descending into senility, would offer the 6x6 package. But I can't see the six years. Try 4 max. The last really long term contract was when the Lions signed up Alistair Lynch as FF for the term of his AFL life, and he earned one third to one half his true market value per year.

After that scenario we would be offering 3-4 years at a good whack. 1.5M over 3 years? 2.?M over 4? What do posters think would be a realistic offer? Remember that after 3-4 more years, at age 23-24, he would be at his peak, and may well have a Brownlow and a flag (or two) at Melbourne. You might compare his case to Ablett's then. And so might he.

If scenario 2 comes about, then the gloss may well come off the silly money offers being rumoured. Me, I'd still make him the same offer to stay (maybe only the 3 year option, but) and it would look a lot more competetive against a reduced GWS approach.

Scenario 3 would require careful consideration and analysis of the injury. I'd think GWS would drop out of the picture, so it would be an internal MFC deal. Length of contract and dollars balanced against chance of recovery and impairment of function.

So it is only the scenario 1 situation the really causes pressure IF the rumours are true. If we would have offered 1.5M over 3 years, and 2.?M over 4, how much higher would we go to retain him in the face of GWS offers? Please bear in mind that the last time we paid up bigtime to retain a player for fear of them being poached was with Woey, and that did not turn out well.

So to put some perspective into this thread, what is a 2-year, 45 game Scully in top form worth at the end of 2011, and how much over those odds could we go to keep him if GWS are bidding?

The only other suggestion I have is to spend a much smaller amount (say $100,000? or the equivalent in Swiss Francs?) on a bonus to Scully's management if he stays here. Wouldn't want them to be giving him wrong advice just because they might make more money. And any such payment would be outside the salary cap as far as I can tell.

Golf you had me until the last sentence.

The going rate for managers is 3%

Now even if it was 5% then $100 000 is grossly too much.

They will put the offers to Tom and he will decide.

Other wise you make a lot of sense.

Edited by old dee

Guest Thomo

GWS will announce the appointment of a former Melbourne player to join their football department soon. When the announcement is made, make of it what you will

James McDonald

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/james-mcdonald-joins-the-giants.html

Working in a mentoring role with the Melbourne based recruits this year.

Good get by them, and good on McDonald for getting a job. However I really doubt it will change the situation.

Edited by Thomo

What, we will look stupid if we play him all year to discover he he already signed with GWS?

This thread is ridiculous. Did Rischitelli play doggo this year because he had signed this year for GC17?? No, he won their B&F.

Did Gary Ablett play doggo? No, had a great year (didn't win their B&F because their cowardly and hypocritical coach had a personal spat with him)

Scully will wait until the $1Billion TV rights deal is complete before negotiating as it is fait accompi that salaries will be skyrocketing. His worth at the end of this year will be a significant multiple of what he could sign for now.

His management is doing the right thing by Tom. Now, relax. I don't think I can bear 27 more weeks of this thread!!!!!!!!

lol I love this forum. Perhaps you should re-read your own post and tell me who isn't relaxed. It is the inability of some people to take the time to comprehend another poster which perpetuates a lot of garbage on any internet forum.

I made an isolated point about the club being in the dark as to the status of Scully signing with GWS in the event of that particular scenario - in no way did I make comment on the likelyhood of that scenario or Scully himself. Scully's dealings are private end of story. The sky is not falling in, yes I have faith in the club and no I don't think Scully would do a dog act.

My point was to do with the system of how the AFL likes to have such contracts or at least the eventuation of such contracts deferred or hush hush. GC wanted to announce Ablett but the AFL held it off. I don't know if Geelong were enlightened at all but if not IMO they had a right to know - pretty simple principle really. No club should be in the situation IMO where they are not informed immediately of one of their players signing with another club whilst still under contract to them. I would imagine such a scenario is rare and as a result find it easier to accept and respect Scully's position but the principle is there.

James McDonald

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/james-mcdonald-joins-the-giants.html

Working in a mentoring role with the Melbourne based recruits this year.

Good get by them, and good on McDonald for getting a job. However I really doubt it will change the situation.

Knows Scully fairly well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no I don't think Scully would do a dog act.

dog act? most on here copped it on the chin and trotted out the 'if another employer offred you more' line when Carlton simply purchased Chris Judd in most illegal fashion, when it was obvious he should have been wearing the number 3 of his idol and captaining his boyhood club out of the grasp of extinction (at the time)

how would Scully taking the money and running be considered a dog act in comparison

dog act? most on here copped it on the chin and trotted out the 'if another employer offred you more' line when Carlton simply purchased Chris Judd in most illegal fashion, when it was obvious he should have been wearing the number 3 of his idol and captaining his boyhood club out of the grasp of extinction (at the time)

how would Scully taking the money and running be considered a dog act in comparison

I never said it would. I was tending to the obligatory references made in the post I replied to.

It may be worth you taking the time to understand what JM's role will actually be.

It's fair to say that right now you don't.

Oh please KS carn't you take a little humour?

Lighten up mate!

I actually can't believe im posting on this thread as I hate hysteria,but I got an early morning message from a distressed friend who said that Eddie McGuire said on triple m this morning that scully to gws is a done deal. I refuse to believe this but dont understand why he would say this. Did anyone else hear the comment? Maybe there was some context I've missed since I only heard this second hand

I actually can't believe im posting on this thread as I hate hysteria,but I got an early morning message from a distressed friend who said that Eddie McGuire said on triple m this morning that scully to gws is a done deal. I refuse to believe this but dont understand why he would say this. Did anyone else hear the comment? Maybe there was some context I've missed since I only heard this second hand

That is true, Eddie came out and announced it that he in very confident Scully has signed at well over a mil per year.

Eddie also said that if he was on the footy show he would be listing it as the story of the year, as it is detroying rebuilding clubs like ours

Not the best way to start the day.

its offical...the sky is falling !!!!

Footy season cant come quick enough !!!

Im not sure how some of you manage your existences....worrying over everything real and imagined !!!

Lets just focus on round one huh ! one step at a time stuff...im sure many of you can manage that...if you really try :rolleyes: