What a Xmas pressie!!!

DeezMan

maybe i'm just older than i think

or reliving my youth

Dorothy Dix answered people personal questions in a magazine/newspaper column often but not necessarily about romantic issues.

Hence the expression "Dear Dorothy" or "Dear Dorothy Dix" when seeking advice on what to do with personal issues. The answers were generally predicatable

As someone else pointed out a "Dorothy Dixer" became a term in parliament in Aus (and still is I think) hence I assumed rpfc living in Canberra would be familiar with

The Truth newspaper had a similar (but seedier and absurd) column called Heartbalm (the letters were mainly written by the staff over drunken lunches)

The Ages Good Weekend liftout currently has a short funny column too (can't remember the name)

Oh DC I feel your pain!

And the ultimate agony being asked who DDD was!

You are correct it is dead set boring at present especially as the alternative is to watch what maybe the worst Australian test team ever.

Can we please start 2011 with something of substance to discuss.

My suggestions

"how many White clash jumpers" will you buy?

"Will Watts kick 10 or 15 goals in 2011?

Please some thing of substance.

Please no more "when will my membership arrive"

Please help "Demonlanders"!

Xmas present from the missus framed Liam Jurrah mark of the year photo with plaque and the icing on the cake - signed by the great man himself. Happy days!

Thats the term I was thinking of old dee - an agony aunt (or uncle in this case)

Season 2011 can't come quick enough for me

Hi my fried- was this also Jack Ayling from theTruth newspaper pen name as well?

Hi my friend- was this also Jack Ayling from theTruth newspaper pen name as well?

Don't know about "Ace" Ayling's contribution. He was with the Truth as a racing journo (he was also a well known crime reporter). He apparently spent a lot of time at the Balaclava drinking with other Truth and racing journos. No doubt he wrote a few "letters" to Heartbalm as did the other Truth journos.

some quotes from google...........the Truth was obviously the genesis of modern journalism :o

"Sol invented an agony column, Heart Balm. He told Bill Murray, the sub-editor who handled the letters: ‘I don’t care what the letters say, but your answers must sound like an Archbishop.’ There seemed to be a lot of weird people in Melbourne; I blamed the weather and the football. Bill’s answers often began: ‘You must tell your mother at once …’"

"One of my 2nd cousins is a journo who used to work for The Truth back in the '80's and he told us that the bonus for finishing your stories early was to sit down with a beer or six and make up the Heartbalm column. (Any old Truth readers will know what I'm talking about and for the rest of you - boy did you miss out)."

"Would have been pretty good working for a paper like that in the '70's. Ethics? Never heard of 'em. Facts? Nah, can't help you there. Sources? Tomato on me pie'd be nice. How about we just make up what we want, put a topless chick next to the story and bugger off to the pub."

After being a Demons Member for a little bit (being 23 years old)... going into 2011 I wanted to join my old man as an AFL Member with MFC Club Support.

Dad works at the NAB so I've been asking if he can waive the "startup fee" for me seeing as NAB are sponsors but he kept telling me to probably wait until the season gets a bit closer (early in the New Year).

So for Chrissy, what did I get?

An AFL Membership with Dees Club Support to be sent out to me Feb!!! :D

Awesome present that I can't wait to receive in the mail! Seeing as I'm moving out early Jan it's going to be great to have that father-son football bonding session every week.

Good viewing area but you may feel a bit lonely. When we play Port or Freo at the Gee you can actually COUNT the patrons there !

Don't know about "Ace" Ayling's contribution. He was with the Truth as a racing journo (he was also a well known crime reporter). He apparently spent a lot of time at the Balaclava drinking with other Truth and racing journos. No doubt he wrote a few "letters" to Heartbalm as did the other Truth journos.

some quotes from google...........the Truth was obviously the genesis of modern journalism :o

"Sol invented an agony column, Heart Balm. He told Bill Murray, the sub-editor who handled the letters: I dont care what the letters say, but your answers must sound like an Archbishop. There seemed to be a lot of weird people in Melbourne; I blamed the weather and the football. Bills answers often began: You must tell your mother at once …"

"One of my 2nd cousins is a journo who used to work for The Truth back in the '80's and he told us that the bonus for finishing your stories early was to sit down with a beer or six and make up the Heartbalm column. (Any old Truth readers will know what I'm talking about and for the rest of you - boy did you miss out)."

"Would have been pretty good working for a paper like that in the '70's. Ethics? Never heard of 'em. Facts? Nah, can't help you there. Sources? Tomato on me pie'd be nice. How about we just make up what we want, put a topless chick next to the story and bugger off to the pub."

Great to reminisce like this- Heartbalm reminds me of some posts on here.

Edited by jayceebee31

Nab employees gets the AFL Memberships very cheaply, I think about a third off.

It's a pity you didn't get a MFC membership as 100% of it goes directly to the club.

exusemoi ??

JARKA OR

jerka ?;

what a dipstick comment,how over zealous can u get or can u kowtow any lower !!!

" i hope u contact all the corporate types who get" free" year long boxes just for being a friend of a friend or happen to work for an associated "CO"

& DONT FORGET to hassle all the staff who get free or heavily discounted memberships and gear just for being connected or related to the same companies.

let alone ALL the MFC staff and friends !!!!!!

for crying out loud talk about "[censored] PERSONIFIED"- FREEBIES are part of all clubs to the tune of thousands !!!

and they don't care !!

And u want to give grief to a young passionate, caring and supportive guy who got a small disc. on a membership !! for xmas..

who needs to watch his expenses..

go and live in red neck country in the USA, in the south where, hillbillies under the poverty line ,vote republican or conservative.

why do u think the "GFC" happened ? excessive greed from corporate suits stealing from the lower classes...

one size does NOT fit all .

if one can get any consideration in regards to purchasing "ANYTHING" IT SHOULD BE TREATED AS PAYING FULL PRICE.!!

AND HELPFUL DUE TO THE ABILITY to purchase again next year instead of realizing one has hit the WALL and just cannot afford to..

Sorry fu I just can't help myself. You'll have to fixup your nickname ;)

You can take consolation in that the spelling error is common and the correct version is not intuitive

Fuchsia (pronounced /ˈfjuːʃə/ FEW-shə) is a vivid reddish or pinkish purple color named after the flower of the fuchsia plant. Fuchsia is a synonym for magenta.

There is also a somewhat redder and slightly less saturated hue termed fashion fuchsia (see below) that is used in women's fashion (it is also called Hollywood cerise).

The first recorded use of fuchsia as a color name in English was in 1892.[1]

Before 1958, the color magenta was called brilliant rose in Crayola crayons. (See the website "Lost Crayola Crayon Colors": [1]) After 1958, the name of the color was changed to Magenta, though the Crayola color magenta is not identical to the web color fuchsia--it is much closer to the color Rose