2011 Leadership group!

jarnott10

If he has a bad season it'll have SFA to do with the leg injury he copped late in the season.

It was a minor fracture and he'll complete pretty much a full preseason, let's not get overly dramatic.

And hrob, you might want to sharpen your own tool before you talk about others.

I dont think its being dramatic at all. Hence why i said "hopefully im wrong" just stating that its a possibility.

And yes it was a minor fracture doesnt mean it wont affect him.

And how do u know it wont affect him?

again im not saying it will, but its clearly a possibility

Jones is a good player and seems like a better leader.

This thread should be merged with the 'whipping boy' thread, next to all the people saying they don't like the idea of whipping boys etc... etc...

Why? You intimating that people saying they're surprised that Jones is in the leadership group is akin to bullying or bagging?

Jones is probably a great leader around the club, a relentless trainer, always upbeat and enthusiastic, someone the guys look up to. He has the respect of the players and it can only be good for him and the club to be part of the leadership group.

Sylvia I'm happy he isn't part of the leadership group. He seems like the kind of player that just needs to be concerned with getting himself (his mindset and body) right, and isn't yet at the stage that he can constantly be thinking of looking after others. After years of excessive partying and getting down during long-term injuries, he is only just starting to build respect from the player group. In 1-2 years, if he keeps it all up, I have no doubt he'll come into the leadership group. For now he just needs to concentrate of continuing to turn his career around!

The two i'm disappointed of missing out is Jamar and, to a lesser extent, Frawley. Jamar has been very open about wanting to be a leader. BUT, the leadership group is player driven, so definitely have to respect the votes of the playing group.

For what it's worth, perhaps Jamar has only had 1 truely outstanding season, and probably needs 1-2 seasons of really consistant performances to be really considered an on-field leader.

Frawley is definitely an on-field leader in the sense that he's definitely in our top 5 best players at the club. But from afar, but it appears at this stage of his career (unlike a Grimes or a Scully) he's content with just being one of the boys, rather than taking a really serious off-field leadership role. Again, maybe in a year or two

My preference based on current onfield exploits would be Green for captain, Davey vice and Grimes deputy (if they still have one). In saying this from a marketing and media perspective Davey as captain works best. My concern is onfield when the going gets tough I do not see Davey leading the right example and do not believe becoming captain would change this in any way.

Sylvia I'm happy he isn't part of the leadership group. He seems like the kind of player that just needs to be concerned with getting himself (his mindset and body) right, and isn't yet at the stage that he can constantly be thinking of looking after others. After years of excessive partying and getting down during long-term injuries, he is only just starting to build respect from the player group. In 1-2 years, if he keeps it all up, I have no doubt he'll come into the leadership group. For now he just needs to concentrate of continuing to turn his career around!

Couldn’t you say the same about Grimes? but at a lesser extent and minus the partying???

Personally i think he should clearly be in there, but he has had his problems and i would rather see him get a full year under his belt.......

Couldn’t you say the same about Grimes? but at a lesser extent and minus the partying???

Personally i think he should clearly be in there, but he has had his problems and i would rather see him get a full year under his belt.......

Umm, no, not at all. There's never been any question about Grimes' attitude off the track, nor has there been any doubt over his mental strength. I can't see even a vague connection between Grimes' situation and Sylvia's.

The only question mark over Grimes (for me) is that he's not 100% settled on the field yet; he hasn't had an extended run of games and there's some doubt over what position he'll play in long term. The same question does not apply to Sylvia.

On Sylvia - I thought he was a chance to be in the leadership group, but in the end I'm indifferent to the outcome. I think anyone in a pro- or anti- camp could mount a strong case.

Jones is a good player and seems like a better leader.

This thread should be merged with the 'whipping boy' thread, next to all the people saying they don't like the idea of whipping boys etc... etc...

People have said that in the whipping boy thread ?? IIRC Jones was hardly mentioned - if at all. You intimating that "all the people" is somewhat false.

Guest Thomo

Could a player who misses out on a spot in the leadership group see that as a personal insult?

When Green was left out a couple of years ago he took it as a challenge, and lifted his leadership and game in general. Hopfully a few other follow his example.

I thought Jamar or Sylvia would have been included but the players went for Jones..Great to see he has the respect of the players.I do feel he must get on very well with the young brigade which is brilliant.I just hope he can keep his spot in the team. We have plenty to choose from now..

When Green was left out a couple of years ago he took it as a challenge, and lifted his leadership and game in general. Hopfully a few other follow his example.

By being non-existent at training?

Sorry for being flippant but people won't forgive/forget Davey's 50s but Green not being in the leadership group at the start of last year (09) for being a ghost and it's a point of pride?

He's a great player is Brad, but don't PDMNATMIR.

By being non-existent at training?

Sorry for being flippant but people won't forgive/forget Davey's 50s but Green not being in the leadership group at the start of last year (09) for being a ghost and it's a point of pride?

He's a great player is Brad, but don't PDMNATMIR.

But the start of 09 is a long time ago now. He's had a season and a half of being right at the top of the leadership pile. I'm willing to look past both. I'm willing to forgive Davey because he's done it what 3 times in 5 years or something and every time he's had zero support from team mates.

I have just joined this forum and I have a couple of suggestions about the leadership group. Firstly, Trengove would be a fantastic addition. It would be good to have one of the young kids voicing their opinions. Scully would not be able to do it as I dont think he has a voice. As for Frawley...I dont think that it is a good idea to have somebody who´s father cries when making speeches as part of the leadership group. Just my humble opinions.

I have just joined this forum and I have a couple of suggestions about the leadership group. Firstly, Trengove would be a fantastic addition. It would be good to have one of the young kids voicing their opinions. Scully would not be able to do it as I dont think he has a voice. As for Frawley...I dont think that it is a good idea to have somebody who´s father cries when making speeches as part of the leadership group. Just my humble opinions.

Brilliant first post. Informed opinion and the facts are spot on, especially the Frawley family tree.

Welcome, I look forward to more of these pearls of wisdumb.

just to let you know it was uncle Danny that cried

Not 100% sure but fairly confident Green had both hands in plaster when the said no appearence was happenning. Not sure that i would be at work if I couldnt wipe my own backside, or for that matter drive to work??

Pretty sure MFC has not has an indidgenous player captain?? Can see the media loving that.