NFL

Dappa Dan

The NFC west should now have 4 teams with excellent defenses, you could argue they might be the 4 best in the entire league all in one division. And none of them have the top range big money QB's and they are committed to the ground game. Going to be some epic games between those 4 teams this year.

My early tip for playoff teams

NFC

West: Seattle

South: New Orleans

East: Philly

North: Detroit

WC: Atlanta and Arizona

AFC:

North: Baltimore

South: Colts

West: San Diego

East: New England

WC: Denver and Bengals

Going early on the tips there. I'm still getting over last seasons tipping competition. It was bloody stressful.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Can't imagine quoting that number of people in that sort of way again but ... there's a logical explanation if you choose to read on ...

I'm happy to run the tipping comp again this year and am open to ideas. The 3 road tips concept seemed to work quite well but it might need some fine tuning (just so the participants can regularly pick up a point instead of bombing out most weeks!) We could leave it as it is or we could change the way we award points to ...

Option 1) Award a point for getting 2 out of 3 correct with 2 points awarded for tipping all 3 correctly or ...

Option 2) Any other type of variation on the theme.

Bonus points could again apply for weeks 2, 5, 8, 11, 14 and 17 (with week 17 worth triple points) Double points would apply to the other 5 bonus weeks.

In those bonus weeks, whilst the double or triple points would apply if you get all 3 tips correct, 1 point only might only ever be awarded in those same bonus weeks (for getting 2 out of 3 correct) In other words, regardless of the week, getting 2 correct out of 3 tips only ever rewards you with 1 point.

For instance, an example of that is week 2 ... tip all 3 road winners and you receive "the 4 points" but ... if you only get 2 right out of 3, you still only receive 1 point. This effectively emphasizes a greater reward for tipping all 3 "tips" correctly.

I'm in favour of changing the way of awarding points to option 1 but again, I'm open to ideas. Also thought that we could allow participants to join the comp at any time (those late starters are always playing "catch-up" anyway and besides that, the more the merrier)

The top point scorers from last year's comp ...

9 - Strafford & cowboy from hell (joint winners)

7 - pantaloons & Macca

5 - Gorgoroth

n.b ... thought we could start all participants off with 1 point as well ... there's nothing worse than sitting on the dreaded zero ^_^ So ... the first time you put your tips in, you would then automatically qualify for a 1 "participation point"

n.b 2 ... there's no real need to reply to this post (unless you have another option on how to do the comp - keeping in mind that any other option perhaps shouldn't be too cumbersome or time consuming - both for the participants and myself)

... aside from that, you can just start putting your tips in when the games start (if you want to participate in the comp) Anyone else who I haven't quoted is welcome to join in.

In other news, believe it or not, the first pre-season game is on Monday morning (10am AEST) ... Buffalo @ NY Giants. Can't see any TV listings yet but there's another 16 games on next weekend. There's sure to be a game or 2 on cable or OneHD.

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

Last years system seemed to run pretty smooth Macca. I think we all had some dry patches through the year. I started off very well and then for a month I couldn't tip one winner. Strafford came home strong and I was lucky to draw with him. No matter what system is in place it will always be hard but it's a lot of fun. To anyone wanting to enter trust me it is a lot harder then it sounds. After today's game against Brisbane the NFL year could not come any quicker.

• Like 1

Last years system seemed to run pretty smooth Macca. I think we all had some dry patches through the year. I started off very well and then for a month I couldn't tip one winner. Strafford came home strong and I was lucky to draw with him. No matter what system is in place it will always be hard but it's a lot of fun. To anyone wanting to enter trust me it is a lot harder then it sounds. After today's game against Brisbane the NFL year could not come any quicker.

Yeah cfh, I'm also happy to leave it at it is and I believe that yourself and Strafford would have still won with the new system that I'm proposing. The simplicity of it is that it's not a time consuming thing (for the participants and myself)

We'll see if we get a bit more feedback but I'm happy to go either way. Not sure there's any other feasible way to do it anyway so it would probably be either/or. I've added 1 or 2 more bonus weeks and that might be change enough (as well as starting off everyone on a point)

As for the Demons, I just can't believe our kicking to position skills - it kills us. We're getting hold of the pill but we keep butchering it. Get Darren Jarman down there I say - we could do worse ... one more kicking coach to add to the plethora of other coaches surely wouldn't go astray.

Here's some news on your new bloke ... Teddy Bridgewater And The Quarterback It Factor

But overall, he's already competing at a very high level. He throws a laser of a football, is MILES ahead of where Ponder and Jackson were at reading a defense and going through his receiver progressions, and seems comfortable both on and off the field.

• Like 1

Yeah cfh, I'm also happy to leave it at it is and I believe that yourself and Strafford would have still won with the new system that I'm proposing. The simplicity of it is that it's not a time consuming thing (for the participants and myself)

We'll see if we get a bit more feedback but I'm happy to go either way. Not sure there's any other feasible way to do it anyway so it would probably be either/or. I've added 1 or 2 more bonus weeks and that might be change enough (as well as starting off everyone on a point)

As for the Demons, I just can't believe our kicking to position skills - it kills us. We're getting hold of the pill but we keep butchering it. Get Darren Jarman down there I say - we could do worse ... one more kicking coach to add to the plethora of other coaches surely wouldn't go astray.

Here's some news on your new bloke ... Teddy Bridgewater And The Quarterback It Factor

Any system will be a good one mate as long as it's simple for you as well. As for Teddy I am very happy. He didn't go home after being drafted. He stayed in Minnesota and started working straight away. Johnny Football has soaked up all the attention while Teddy keeps quietly working. I'd say Cassel will start unless Teddy kills it in the pre season games.

I can't beleive Ray Rice got a 2 game suspension for what he did to his now wife. The video of her falling out of the elevator is horrible. The NFL can't stand over the top TD celebrations but domestic abuse seems to not be a bother.

• Like 1

Any system will be a good one mate as long as it's simple for you as well. As for Teddy I am very happy. He didn't go home after being drafted. He stayed in Minnesota and started working straight away. Johnny Football has soaked up all the attention while Teddy keeps quietly working. I'd say Cassel will start unless Teddy kills it in the pre season games.

I can't beleive Ray Rice got a 2 game suspension for what he did to his now wife. The video of her falling out of the elevator is horrible. The NFL can't stand over the top TD celebrations but domestic abuse seems to not be a bother.

Yep, the inconsistencies are quite profound. These sporting organisations are often making determinations that you scratch your head about. FIFA, the AFL, the NHL and other sporting bodies are not always known for making sensible decisions. The NFL have got this one horribly wrong.

On a lighter note, here's some highlights of today's "Hall of Fame" game

As for the tipping comp, I'm leaning towards leaving it as it is unless a majority want to fine tune it (anyone wanting to know about that "fine tuning" can scroll to the top of this page for details)

By the way, our first meeting (Packers/Vikings) is on Thursday night football (Oct 2) I guess a lot of us watch these games on a Friday night after work and I'm a big fan. Kicks the weekend off in an ideal way. Bridgewater may well be up and firing by then but it is at Lambeau.

Unlike previous years, this season will see a lot of big match-ups scheduled for Thursday night football (CBS are covering the first 8 of them) ... My Packers are taking on Seattle @ Seattle in the first one on Sept 4 (this is also the first game of the regular season)

The last time we went there "Goldengate" happened and Rodgers got sacked 8 times! I'll always give Green Bay a chance with Aaron at the helm but it's a toughie first up (to say the least)

... Here's the full schedule of Thursday night games

Yep, the inconsistencies are quite profound. These sporting organisations are often making determinations that you scratch your head about. FIFA, the AFL, the NHL and other sporting bodies are not always known for making sensible decisions. The NFL have got this one horribly wrong.

On a lighter note, here's some highlights of today's "Hall of Fame" game

As for the tipping comp, I'm leaning towards leaving it as it is unless a majority want to fine tune it (anyone wanting to know about that "fine tuning" can scroll to the top of this page for details)

By the way, our first meeting (Packers/Vikings) is on Thursday night football (Oct 2) I guess a lot of us watch these games on a Friday night after work and I'm a big fan. Kicks the weekend off in an ideal way. Bridgewater may well be up and firing by then but it is at Lambeau.

Unlike previous years, this season will see a lot of big match-ups scheduled for Thursday night football (CBS are covering the first 8 of them) ... My Packers are taking on Seattle @ Seattle in the first one on Sept 4 (this is also the first game of the regular season)

The last time we went there "Goldengate" happened and Rodgers got sacked 8 times! I'll always give Green Bay a chance with Aaron at the helm but it's a toughie first up (to say the least)

... Here's the full schedule of Thursday night games

Oh golden gate. I've never seen anything so tragic and comical at the same time. Once again the NFC North is interesting. If the packers have a healthy line of receivers then I think it's yours to lose. Tate is at Detroit now so you get to see him a lot more this year.

Oh golden gate. I've never seen anything so tragic and comical at the same time. Once again the NFC North is interesting. If the packers have a healthy line of receivers then I think it's yours to lose. Tate is at Detroit now so you get to see him a lot more this year.

Tate is actually a very good receiver and he could be more than handy at Detroit. Good move by them because Stafford definitely needs a number of quality targets apart from megatron.

They were disappointing last year and they or Chicago really should have won the division considering Rodgers missed half the games. If Bridgewater lights it up our division could be quite a bunfight. Rodgers stays healthy and we'll be hard to beat but I'm not overly confident. Cutler and the Bears will be out to make amends as well.

Interesting times ahead and that's just our division!

We could all try and tip our divisional winners, MVP and Super Bowl teams again ... I'd like to have a look at the some of the pre-season games before making any of my usual outlandish predictions (bet the opposite, you'll win lots of money)

And Gorgoroth, your points on the tipping comp are duly noted.

Nos Macca.

Detroit always interest me, then surprise me, then interest me, lose me, disappoint me, excite me and most of the time that happens in the space of one game. :P

Yeah, you've summed them up well. Still, they've got to get their act together sooner or later!

ESPN are televising the Seattle @ Denver game tomorrow (11am) Can't see any other games listed on cable or OneHD but that may change.

Just realised that pre-season match tomorrow is the Super Bowl replay (of sorts) Peyton & Wilson will probably only throw the ball 6-8 times max but I'll have a bit of a look at the game, all the same.

All 32 teams are in action on the weekend and although the games don't mean a lot in terms of results, they do mean a fair bit in terms of how teams operate in their phases (either offensively or defensively)

I'll be looking to see whether the Packers have improved with their defensive work.

Man I love the NY jets. This team has had as much success as Melbourne over the last decade and they continue to amuse me. First they bring in tebow and use him on two or three plays a game and kill his career. They give butt fumble a huge contract and then get rid of him for geno smith. They stick with geno through his rookie year and it looks like they have confidence in him to be the guy for this awful organization. So while they say geno is the man they pick up Vick and it's a QB battle all over again. Then Rex Ryan who I believe is a great entertainer says that they don't worry about anyone and the pats should be worried about the jets! Ha ha

• Like 1

Yeah, you've summed them up well. Still, they've got to get their act together sooner or later!

ESPN are televising the Seattle @ Denver game tomorrow (11am) Can't see any other games listed on cable or OneHD but that may change.

7mate has taken over from OneHD this season. I assume they'll get the same games we otherwise would have. Bring on the season anyway. I'm expecting a fall from grace this season and a return to KC battling Melbourne for the coveted mantle of my most useless football team.

7mate has taken over from OneHD this season. I assume they'll get the same games we otherwise would have. Bring on the season anyway. I'm expecting a fall from grace this season and a return to KC battling Melbourne for the coveted mantle of my most useless football team.

That's an interesting development

Not sure if ch7 or 7mate be will doing the Thursday night games like OneHD did but we'll find out soon enough. They are doing the 3 thanksgiving day games and 3 games every Monday (our time) so who knows?

For those of us with cable not much has changed and we'll still get 7 live games all up (although Foxtel might decide to do what they've done in the past and not show an early or late game on a Monday for the first month or so)

... Seven the official NFL broadcaster

Man I love the NY jets. This team has had as much success as Melbourne over the last decade and they continue to amuse me. First they bring in tebow and use him on two or three plays a game and kill his career. They give butt fumble a huge contract and then get rid of him for geno smith. They stick with geno through his rookie year and it looks like they have confidence in him to be the guy for this awful organization. So while they say geno is the man they pick up Vick and it's a QB battle all over again. Then Rex Ryan who I believe is a great entertainer says that they don't worry about anyone and the pats should be worried about the jets! Ha ha

They did make it to those pair of AFC championship games. And were what 8-8 last year. So they remind me more of St Kilda or Richmond that us. It's just I think I could coach offense better than Rexy. I'd hire him every day of the week to be my defensive coordinator, but stay the heck away from offense!

Unfortunately we can only dream of being the Jets. I reckon we are more Jacksonville or Oakland. :(

Is anyone watching HBO's Hard Knocks at Atlanta's training camp. The first episode was hilarious.

• Like 1

It's only pre season but I'm thrilled it's back. This is where I farewell the AFL season. I officially don't care about this season anymore. From what I've seen manziell looked pretty good. Not awesome but he made some solid throws and of course he can run. Clowney looked threatening but Houston have no QB and I mean none. Fitzpatrick looked bad and so did their back up and their rookie savage. Cardinals have a impressive offence with lots of receiving options. Seriously how tough is the NFC west going to be? I think any of them could win the division. Micheal Sam can actually play football. You don't become the SEC defensive player of the year for no reason.

Edited by cowboy_from_hell

Watched a few highlights ...

Had some flashback moments when I saw Tolzien & Flynn were used as the QB's for the Pack. Don't get hurt Rodgers. Just don't.

Johnny football did a bit of running around and Rex is considering using Vick as part of a wildcat scheme. How is it that I'm not surprised by that? The Jets are always fun to watch though and it probably won't be any different this year.

The Vikes Linval Johnson got hit in the calf muscle by a bullet in a club. Nothing like a good night out and a bit of dancing hey - later on you get shot at. Only in America.

In all seriousness, it was lucky nobody was killed. 9 people were treated for injuries. 2 people for serious injuries.

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

Watching the Rams v Packers game at the moment and Janis for the Packers is bloody quick.

How did Bradford look? I saw Rodgers took his opening drive for a TD. That's just typical Rodgers.

Bridgewater takes us down field with under 2 minutes left and gets the game winning TD. Now I will sit in a corner and tell myself it's just pre season over and over again.

• Like 2

How did Bradford look? I saw Rodgers took his opening drive for a TD. That's just typical Rodgers.

I missed the first half, I'll be going back to watch it later, saw most of the second half live.

Mason was doing well for us as a running back.