NFL

Dappa Dan

The Bleacher Report

Extra long copy & paste but some very interesting talking points

32 Thoughts on the NFL's Biggest Talking Points After 2024 Preseason

Brad GagnonX.com LogoAugust 30, 2024

DETROIT, MI - AUGUST 24:  Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Russell Wilson (3) and his teammates wait to take the field before the start of an NFL preseason football game between the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Detroit Lions on August 24, 2024 at Ford Field in Detroit, Michigan.  (Photo by Scott W. Grau/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)
Scott W. Grau/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

Each Friday throughout the 2024 NFL season, we'll be performing somewhat of a leaguewide check-in, with quick-hit takes from all 32 NFL squads based on news, fodder, trends and/or results.

And with every team now having completed the preseason and started preparing for Week 1, we're ready to take you around the country with thoughts on the latest happenings.

Let's jump into what's dominating the national football conversation this week.

AFC East

1 of 8

ORCHARD PARK, NEW YORK - AUGUST 10: Keon Coleman #0 of the Buffalo Bills warms up prior to a preseason game against the Chicago Bears at Highmark Stadium on August 10, 2024 in Orchard Park, New York. (Photo by Rich Barnes/Getty Images)
Rich Barnes/Getty Images

Buffalo Bills: The Keon Coleman buzz is picking up now that the summer is wrapping up and nobody has really made waves in a receiving corps that took some major hits in the offseason. I'm not totally convinced the rookie second-round pick will be ready to overcome a lack of top-end speed early in his career, but working with Josh Allen sure could help.

Miami Dolphins: What's up with Odell Beckham Jr.? It's starting to sound as though there's some frustration within the organization regarding OBJ's lack of availability despite passing a physical at signing and starting offseason work with the team. Miami can't let this become a distraction, nor can the Dolphins afford to rely heavily on the 31-year-old in 2024.

New England Patriots: In naming him the Week 1 starter, Jerod Mayo stated that "Jacoby (Brissett) gives us our best chance to win right now." Considering that the team isn't likely to win much anyway, and that Drake Maye outplayed Brissett as the summer wore on, I find it hard to believe they'll stick with Brissett for too long under those circumstances. This might get awkward soon.

New York Jets: The margin for error is quite miniscule for the Jets in this tough division, and it's a shame they still don't have a key pickup in Haason Reddick. It's so very Jets to get into a situation like this, and a bad omen for what's to come. I have a feeling this will become uglier.

AFC North

2 of 8

CINCINNATI, OH - AUGUST 01: Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Ja'Marr Chase (1) watches a play from the sideline during the Cincinnati Bengals training camp at Kettering Health Practice Fields on August 1, 2024 in Cincinnati, Ohio. (Photo by Ian Johnson/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)
Ian Johnson/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

Baltimore Ravens: Not trying to be sensational, but is anyone else a little worried that Lamar Jackson's weight loss could make him even more vulnerable to injury? Yes, he might be faster. But will he also be more fragile? There's my glass-half-empty take. I hope I'm wrong.

Cincinnati Bengals: They likely know they can survive Week 1 at home against New England sans Ja'Marr Chase, but they really need to be at their best one week later in Kansas City. That being the case, it's imperative that they resolve this contract dispute by next weekend in order to give Chase some time to get reacclimated. Otherwise, this could truly impact their 2024 fate.

Cleveland Browns: That Deshaun Watson restructure gives them more than $60 million in salary-cap space, which could be more or less carried into next year but also makes them a potentially major player between now and the trade deadline. A lot of intrigue right now in Cleveland.

Pittsburgh Steelers: It really had to be Russell Wilson. Not that the embattled veteran deserves a free pass all season, but you're better off giving him a shot and replacing him with Justin Fields than the opposite. I'm not sure Wilson could have come back from losing a summer battle with Fields.

AFC South

3 of 8

JACKSONVILLE, FL - AUGUST 10: Jacksonville Jaguars wide receiver Brian Thomas Jr. (7) lines up for a play during the game between the Kansas City Chiefs and the Jacksonville Jaguars on August 10, 2024 at EverBank Stadium in Jacksonville, Fl. (Photo by David Rosenblum/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)
David Rosenblum/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

Houston Texans: It of course won't be ideal if Will Anderson's ankle injury lingers into the start of the season, but the Texans do have the talent to get by while the sophomore first-round pick gets reacclimated after missing much of this summer's work. Amazing how far this team has come in just over a year.

Indianapolis Colts: The challenge is already pretty tall with Houston's progress and Jacksonville's talent, but not having Jelani Woods (toe) and Samson Ebukam (Achilles) for the season (the former is done for the year and the latter is unlikely to come off injured reserve) makes it even harder. This year might be all about Anthony Richardson's progress.

Jacksonville Jaguars: I love the trajectory rookie first-round pick Brian Thomas Jr. is on ever since a shaky start to his career in Jacksonville on the practice field. Guy is a gamer.

Tennessee Titans: I try not to read too deeply into preseason stats, but it's certainly not a bad thing that Will Levis completed 85 percent of his passes this month. If Levis can get his accuracy on track after ranking dead-last in the league in on-target rate in 2023, he might have a chance to become a franchise quarterback in Tennessee.

AFC West

4 of 8

ATLANTA, GA  AUGUST 23:  Atlanta quarterback Taylor Heinicke (4) throws a pass during the preseason NFL game between the Jacksonville Jaguars and the Atlanta Falcons on August 23rd, 2024 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta, GA.  (Photo by Rich von Biberstein/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)
Rich von Biberstein/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

Denver Broncos: I've been saying it all month. Zach Wilson's still got a chance in this league.

Kansas City Chiefs: I still don't know what to make of an always-buzzworthy receiving corps that had the luxury of releasing Kadarius Toney and Justyn Ross but felt the need to collect New England's scraps with JuJu Smith-Schuster. There's uncertainty surrounding Rashee Rice and Xavier Worthy for different reasons, and Hollywood Brown and Justin Watson need to stay healthy. I don't trust this unit yet, for good reason.

Las Vegas Raiders: Not rolling with three quarterbacks is such a non-story. If you're down to your third quarterback in a single game, you're likely toast in that affair anyway, and there are always third-stringers available during the week. Carter Bradley is on the practice squad, and that's a good thing because he's at least got more upside than Nathan Peterman.

Los Angeles Chargers: It's true they needed more insurance for Justin Herbert following his loss for a good chunk of training camp, because Easton Stick simply wasn't the answer. But Taylor Heinicke might not have been their best option, at least for a conditional sixth-round pick. I'd have preferred Ryan Tannehill, if possible.

NFC East

5 of 8

ARLINGTON, TEXAS - AUGUST 24: Dak Prescott #4 of the Dallas Cowboys looks on from the sideline during the first half of a preseason game against the Los Angeles Chargers at AT&T Stadium on August 24, 2024 in Arlington, Texas. (Photo by Sam Hodde/Getty Images)
Sam Hodde/Getty Images

Dallas Cowboys: It's become clear the Cowboys aren't convinced Dak Prescott is the guy beyond this season, and that they're prepared to make him prove it in 2024. Now, it appears Prescott is coming to that realization. This season really is the ultimate gamble for both sides, and it could easily be a win-win if Dak bets on himself, delivers and the team benefits greatly as a result.

New York Giants: They really didn't have room for Allen Robinson? I know he's far from the player he used to be, but there ain't much experience in that receiving corps or locker room. If the Lions see value in the guy, it's odd the Giants didn't see any.

Philadelphia Eagles: The James Bradberry injury is strictly a depth hit with with three other veteran safeties on the roster, but that could matter considering Philly's luck in the secondary last season. Keep in mind that Bradberry also could have gone back to cornerback in the event that the question marks beyond Darius Slay don't pan out. It all counts in what should be a tight race atop the NFC.

Washington Commanders: New receiver Noah Brown goes way back with both Terry McLaurin and Dan Quinn, and he has the ability to flourish for Jayden Daniels. I really think his signing could go down as a superb under-the-radar late-summer move.

NFC North

6 of 8

NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE - AUGUST 17: Malik Willis #7 of the Tennessee Titans drops back to throw a pass during the first half of the game against the Seattle Seahawks at Nissan Stadium on August 17, 2024 in Nashville, Tennessee.  (Photo by Johnnie Izquierdo/Getty Images)
Johnnie Izquierdo/Getty Images

Chicago Bears: Low risk, high potential reward on new acquisition Darrell Taylor, who absolutely has the ability to explode or at least establish himself as an asset in a new environment. The former second-round pick has just 13 career starts under his belt.

Detroit Lions: General manager Brad Holmes is now officially on the record with his Super Bowl expectations, which is a beautiful thing to absorb without shock considering the long, painful history of professional football in Detroit. The NFL is a better place with a competitive Lions team.

Green Bay Packers: I voiced my concerns last week about Green Bay's chances if anything happens to Jordan Love, and that really doesn't change much with Malik Willis on board. It's hard to buy into Willis right now. Again, why no Ryan Tannehill?

Minnesota Vikings: A lot of late-summer changes put the Vikings in a tough spot to start the season. If they fall to the Giants on the road next Sunday, they could be in big trouble with the 49ers and Texans coming to town in Weeks 2 and 3, respectively. Could be a bit of a wasted season for the league's best receiver, Justin Jefferson.

NFC South

7 of 8

NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA - AUGUST 25: Spencer Rattler #18 of the New Orleans Saints reacts after throwing a touchdown against the Tennessee Titans at Mercedes Benz Superdome on August 25, 2024 in New Orleans, Louisiana. (Photo by Chris Graythen/Getty Images)
Chris Graythen/Getty Images

Atlanta Falcons: Something really, really bad would have had to transpire for Taylor Heinicke to get significant action with the Falcons in 2024. There's really no downside associated with trading him for a conditional Day 3 draft pick.

Carolina Panthers: It's a shame it didn't pan out for Terrace Marshall in Carolina, because the talent is there and this isn't a team that has the luxury of letting skilled players walk on rookie contracts. That said, the lack of production speaks for itself. We'll see if the 2021 second-round pick can deliver in a new setting in order to jumpstart his career.

New Orleans Saints: OK I'm back on the Spencer Rattler bandwagon. At the very least, there's a not-too-low ceiling there and I'd love to see them give the rookie fifth-round pick some work in what I'm convinced will be a lost season in New Orleans.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: The running back trio of Rachaad White, Bucky Irving and Sean Tucker is nightmare fuel for fantasy football peeps, but it's great to have options in that new offense considering how bad the running game was in 2023.

NFC West

8 of 8

SEATTLE, WASHINGTON - AUGUST 24: Quarterback Geno Smith #7 of the Seattle Seahawks warms up prior to an NFL preseason game at Lumen Field on August 24, 2024 in Seattle, Washington. (Photo by Rio Giancarlo/Getty Images)
Rio Giancarlo/Getty Images

Arizona Cardinals: I am a little concerned about what a tough season-starting stretch against the Bills, Rams and Lions will do to this rebuilding team's confidence, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they played spoiler here or there considering the ceiling with Kyler Murray, Marvin Harrison Jr. and the lack of tape on them available to opposing defenses.

Los Angeles Rams: The Rams are dealing with a lot of eleventh-hour tweaks following a summer that included several key injuries. As a result, I'm thinking they would lack cohesion and chemistry in a very tough spot next Sunday night against the Lions.

San Francisco 49ers: It's hard to believe the Brandon Aiyuk situation lingered as long as it did, but it got put to rest in the nick of time and it's exactly what the 49ers needed. They truly couldn't have afforded to compete without him for the entirety of the 2024 season. Not with a flawed quarterback in a top-heavy NFC Super Bowl race.

Seattle Seahawks: I'm not surprised the team doesn't appear to be willing to discuss a new contract with Geno Smith right now. This is a guy who should have a tenuous grip on the long-term starting job. Hopefully they aren't fooled into rethinking that if he and the offense deliver with a soft start against Denver and New England.

Extremely tough tipping week 1, I found it hard to pick a 3rd road team but opted for the Cowboys even though I think they'll struggle this year. I initially had Steelers but just can't bring myself to back Russell Wilson. Falcons always struggle though and Tomlin has proven himself over many years, I guess Cousins is also an unknown coming off the achilles.

Speaking of achilles, I wasn't getting my hopes up for the Jets this year but have listened to a couple of podcasts who have been talking us up and now really excited for the season to start! Tough game first up, if CMC doesn't play it makes things a bit easier but will still be pushing it uphill to win away against last year's runner up. Let's hope the season lasts longer than 4 plays this year 🙄

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Extremely tough tipping week 1, I found it hard to pick a 3rd road team but opted for the Cowboys even though I think they'll struggle this year. I initially had Steelers but just can't bring myself to back Russell Wilson. Falcons always struggle though and Tomlin has proven himself over many years, I guess Cousins is also an unknown coming off the achilles.

Speaking of achilles, I wasn't getting my hopes up for the Jets this year but have listened to a couple of podcasts who have been talking us up and now really excited for the season to start! Tough game first up, if CMC doesn't play it makes things a bit easier but will still be pushing it uphill to win away against last year's runner up. Let's hope the season lasts longer than 4 plays this year 🙄

Ha ha 'Let's' 

There's no other J.E.T.S fans here, Gonzo!  (unless bub wants to join us!)

12 hours ago, Macca said:

Ha ha 'Let's' 

There's no other J.E.T.S fans here, Gonzo!  (unless bub wants to join us!)

That's ok I'll fly the flag for the Jets on here.

spacer.png

I started following them in 2010 and cemented my support after the playoff win in Foxboro in Jan 2011. They lost the following week in the AFCCG and haven't been back to the playoffs since. The playoff drought has to end someday, why not this year? It's been a miserable 15 years as a Jets fan, one middling Fitzpatrick led year the highlight. Sanchez, Geno, Darnold, Wilson - absolutely terrible all round! I am still a big believer though that a huge issue throughout the litany of incompetent QBs is the terrible O-line play. Sure none of those QBs were gonna win a title but they could've been competent with some decent protection and not having to run for their lives as Geno is proving in Seattle.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo

9 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

That's ok I'll fly the flag for the Jets on here.

spacer.png

I started following them in 2010 and cemented my support after the playoff win in Foxboro in Jan 2011. They lost the following week in the AFCCG and haven't been back to the playoffs since. The playoff drought has to end someday, why not this year? It's been a miserable 15 years as a Jets fan, one middling Fitzpatrick led year the highlight. Sanchez, Geno, Darnold, Wilson - absolutely terrible all round! I am still a big believer though that a huge issue throughout the litany of incompetent QBs is the terrible O-line play. Sure none of those QBs were gonna win a title but they could've been competent with some decent protection and not having to run for their lives as Geno is proving in Seattle.

Brett Favre lit the place up in 2008 with an 8 and 3 start before things went South

So it will be interesting to see how Rodgers goes.  Like Favre, Rodgers is a gunslinger so all eyes will be on Aaron

Much will depend on your offensive line and the ability of your wide receivers (tight end?) Previously, Rodgers made a few WR's so you never know

• Like 1

Last year knocked me on my butt. For the first time in probably ever, I haven't paid attention at all to the draft, free agency, training camp.

Will try to catch up on a lot of those things but I can't say I'm psyched at this stage. I do believe that will change quickly though once it starts. 

Edited by layzie
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, layzie said:

Last year knocked me on my butt. For the first time in probably ever, I haven't paid attention at all to the draft, free agency, training camp.

Will try to catch up on a lot of those things but I can't say I'm psyched at this stage. I do believe that will change quickly though once it starts. 

Well, the bookies have the 49ers as 2nd favourite (5-1) to win it all

What do they say about the oddsmakers in Vegas, they never lose? haha

4-1  Chiefs

5-1  San Francisco*

9-1  Baltimore

11-1  Eagles*,  Detroit

12-1  Cincinatti

15-1  Buffalo,  Houston,  Green Bay*

20-1  Dallas*,  J.E.T.S*

Others ...

30-1  LA Rams*,  Atlanta*

35-1  Chicago*

50-1  Jacksonville*

Of the above, I reckon the Packers, J.E.T.S,  Detroit, Cinci, Houston & the 49ers are 'unders'

Overs?  Rams,  Bears, Dallas and maybe even the Chiefs

*Teams that have a following on this thread

Edited by Macca

1 hour ago, Macca said:

Brett Favre lit the place up in 2008 with an 8 and 3 start before things went South

So it will be interesting to see how Rodgers goes.  Like Favre, Rodgers is a gunslinger so all eyes will be on Aaron

Much will depend on your offensive line and the ability of your wide receivers (tight end?) Previously, Rodgers made a few WR's so you never know

I'm excited to see what Garrett Wilson and Breece Hall can do with a competent QB.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'm excited to see what Garrett Wilson and Breece Hall can do with a competent QB.

The issue with Rodgers is that at his age, he'll need to be protected (Brady/Belichick style) So how is your offensive line looking?

And the Jets can't expect to be getting an in-his-prime Rodgers, more so a QB who can hit targets in a more conservative way

It can't be all on Rodgers so you'll need a strong running game to complement the passing game

Do that and you're more than half-way to the playoffs.  Needless to say, you'll need a decent defence as well

Exciting times though, as Rodgers on his best days is fantastic to watch.  How many best days does he have in him? Maybe 6-8?  That's the key

Edited by Macca

On 02/09/2024 at 19:45, Macca said:

@Gorgoroth @Go the Biff @DeeSpencer @titan_uranus @Clintosaurus @Dee Zephyr @Dr. Gonzo  @DemonDave @BDA @layzie  @Dappa Dan @ElDiablo14

Opening game is this Friday 10.20am Ravens @ Chiefs 6th Sept

New rules for the tipping comp

• Correctly Pick 2 out of 3 = 1 point 
  • Pick 3 from 3 = 3 points
  • Bonus weeks (Double Points) Weeks 5, 9, 13, 17 & 18
  • Bonus Point - Applies if you are the sole (3 from 3) winner in any given week 

For those new to the thread wishing to join in on the tipping comp, all you have to do is put forward 3 Road winners each week. Pick 3 from 3 - 3 points awarded,  2 from 3 - 1 point awarded

This week's games (needless to say, a tough start!)

Printable NFL Week 1 Against the Spread Pick 'em Sheets

I’ll repost my tips @Maccato save you going back so far 😂 

Packers

Texans

Dallas  

• Thanks 1

8 starters in the tipping comp (so far) but there are sure to be at least a few more

Remembering that we're now awarding 1 point for getting 2 out 3 correct.  So, we may well get a number of weeks where many participants receive at least 1 point

Picking 3 from 3 will still remain a difficult assignment so the bonus point will come into play on occasions

Bonus rounds are weeks 5, 9, 13, 17 & 18

In those weeks we all play for 6 points (with a bonus point on offer)

Can't wait for the games to start to be honest

Not sure I'm going to enjoy watching the AFL Finals with the Demon's absence

Ok, my usual pre season guessing game for standings

AFC North

Ravens, Bengals WC

AFC East

Bills, Dolphins WC

AFC West

Chiefs

AFC South 

Texans, Colts WC

Biggest AFC surprise Broncos

NFC North

Packers, Lions WC

NFC East

Eagles Cowboys WC

NFC West

That red team, Rams WC

NFC South

Falcons

Edited by Gorgoroth
  • Like 1

aggressive play call from harbaugh on 4th and 3. Failed to convert to give the ball back to the chiefs on the halfway line.

Ravens D has done well to keep chiefs to 2 filed goals last 2 drives

• Like 1