Elite players

Guest grimes4

6 votes from 2 games against Collingwood this year.

We haven't really played in any big games (finals) in the past few years, so thats a bit rough.

Our chances against Hawforn died when Flash went off, but I agree with what is being suggested. Sure we all want Flash to consistently deliver and not have those awful brain fades when a hard tag goes on him.

That also applies to his teammates and protection they give, this will get better as the youngsters in the middle grow and mature. Scully already blocking for team mates - gotta love that!

Edited by Demon Hill

6 votes from 2 games against Collingwood this year.

We haven't really played in any big games (finals) in the past few years, so thats a bit rough.

Totally agree, but i am saying it because there is still room for Flash to improve (a lot) to be elite, Right now Flash is a great player

Gary Ablett and Judd are elite. I want Flash to get to that level.

I guess i have probably used the wrong word in 'elite' but name one player in the entire AFL that plays the same role as Maxwell anywhere near as well?

What exactly is his role? Acting tough and getting easy possessions as a lose man across half-back, ala Joel Bowden?

Guest grimes4

What exactly is his role? Acting tough and getting easy possessions as a lose man across half-back, ala Joel Bowden?

No! a premiership captain that reads the play better than anyone else in the league. Dont get me wrong,I hate Collingwood and love nothing more then seeing them lose but give credit where its due.

Not 100% sure why i feel this, but i feel like out of all our young guns, Jordie Gysberts could end up the most "elite" player. Can't really justify it, other than to say in his first 2 games, he just looked like he had "it". Only 3 games into his career so it's not based on much, and I know it's a massive call and a huge show of faith, but it's just a gut feel i get.

He's not that quick, and probably isnt the most penetrating or dangerous kick, and is built like a rake; but for some reason i feel like at the end of their careers, barring injury, he could end up with a better career than his more highly-touted teammates like Scully, Trengove, Grimes, even Watts and Jurrah.

Surprised to see his name not mentioned in this thread yet.

That's it, i've claimed him. Hopefully i haven't jinxed the kid.

I guess i have probably used the wrong word in 'elite' but name one player in the entire AFL that plays the same role as Maxwell anywhere near as well?

Sam Fisher....if it wasn't for him the saints would have been blown away in the first half of the first GF

Dustin Fletcher.....made this role what it is today, maybe past his best though

Luke Hodge would be better than Maxwell if he was played as a permanent backman

Jimmy Stynes was the first person i ever saw play the Role of sweeping Half Back, which now Nick Maxwell plays. I wouldn't call maxwell "elite", but he is bloody good at what he does, which also gives him time to be a captain....ie he watches what his team is doing. He decides often which Flank to begin an attack, Left or Right.

So where all on the same page, can we refer to the whiteboard wednesday (week three I think) on list management and the player rating 7 to 1?

Referring to 'elite' as the 7 ranking, obviously.

A little scattering of champions is something to look forward to. But the 'meat and potatoes' will be... well, the meat and potatoes.

Having said that, throw in Ricky Petterd and the host of 'yet to be tested / make their debut' players, we could be looking at elite all over the place!

Aaron Davey can be "elite" at times no doubt, but do you think he is consistent enough?

I think he can improve in this area to become said..."elite.

really depends on how you look at elite?

For me Aaron Davey invented forward pressure, which has now changed aussie rules forever. So maybe he could be consided elite?

Potential Elite player for MFC = Liam Jurrah pulls in crowds of people already......Who Knows?

Edited by tatu

I wouldn't say Flower was elite

He was a dead set ledgend

Not any player playing today is as good as Flower was.

How often did Robert Flower put in a bad game?

You could count them on one hand i would say. That to me is elite.

How often did Robert Flower put in a bad game?

You could count them on one hand i would say. That to me is elite.

I agree WYL, and he played the vast majority of his career in crap teams, which makes his achievements even more meritorious IMO.