The Judd Effect

pitchfork

Firstly a motherhood statement: Chris Judd is a champion of the game.

With that out of the way my point

I was casting my mind back to the Judd sweepstakes. I was devastated we didn't get him even though it was pretty obvious we wouldn't.

But, It was probably the best thing for us, and the worst thing for Carlton.

Judd made Carlton a finals contender as soon as he got there. But I think they're further from a premiership than they may have been without him.

Hear me out. They probably had another year or two of high draft picks without Judd, but these evaporated and Carlton has a pretty weak underbelly.

With Judd we almost definitely would have exceeded 5 wins in '08, '09.

Imagine how much worse our prospects would be without Watts, Scully, Trengove and quite possibly a different set of kids following theme.

THANK GOD WE DIDN'T Win the sweepstakes.

It's funny how many teams and coaches these days fail to see the difference between a finals plan and a premiership plan

This was reportedly what Knights and Hardwick respectively presented to the scum, and we see where that's got them.

I was casting my mind back to the Judd sweepstakes. I was devastated we didn't get him even though it was pretty obvious we wouldn't.

Judd made Carlton a finals contender as soon as he got there. But I think they're further from a premiership than they may have been without him.

Hear me out. They probably had another year or two of high draft picks without Judd, but these evaporated and Carlton has a pretty weak underbelly.

Imagine how much worse our prospects would be without Watts, Scully, Trengove and quite possibly a different set of kids following theme.

It's funny how many teams and coaches these days fail to see the difference between a finals plan and a premiership plan

This was reportedly what Knights and Hardwick respectively presented to the scum, and we see where that's got them.

Good points except for the Hardwick inclusion. Reckon that he is looking for a flag, not just finals.

Reminds me of a post I made sometime last year re: Judd.

I thought the best thing that could have happened to Carlton would be for him to do his ACL and miss a season.

Why? Because the Carlton players would be forced to learn to play without relying on him & they would probably get a better draft pick to further supplement their list.

Unfortunately (for them) the time for that to happen would ideally have been last year or this year. Next year may be a bit too late.

Case in point St Kilda, who were actually lucky to lose Riewoldt when they did and have him fit now.

It forced the team to learn to play without relying on him and a lot of their players stepped up in his absence.

I think it has helped them in their quest for the premiership this year.

I expect some may disagree, but that's how I see it.

Obviously you can't engineer something like this, but that is where luck plays a part.

I agree 100%. Add to that the fact that Judd's first year at Carlton was partially ineffective due to injury. By the time we will be challenging for a flag Judd will be 29 and beginning to fade as a super champion. His value would have been wasted on us at the current stage of our development.

Edited by btdemon

Reminds me of a post I made sometime last year re: Judd.

I thought the best thing that could have happened to Carlton would be for him to do his ACL and miss a season.

Why? Because the Carlton players would be forced to learn to play without relying on him & they would probably get a better draft pick to further supplement their list.

Unfortunately (for them) the time for that to happen would ideally have been last year or this year. Next year may be a bit too late.

Case in point St Kilda, who were actually lucky to lose Riewoldt when they did and have him fit now.

It forced the team to learn to play without relying on him and a lot of their players stepped up in his absence.

I think it has helped them in their quest for the premiership this year.

I expect some may disagree, but that's how I see it.

Obviously you can't engineer something like this, but that is where luck plays a part.

It's a good point E, in line with this Judd effect. Saints also had to get used to playing with him again after formulating a successful plan without him. Nice problem to have, I know B)

Saints IMO have a bit more mental fibre about them than many of the scum.

sorry must not have been clear, agree Hardwicks looking for flag, was contrasting this with Knights finals focus

Your right, I missed that pitchfork. A good thread all the same.

Edited by Demon Hill

Sent a similar SMS to a Carlton mate this morning about our two sides. As I said, Carlton should be way ahead of us considering they did the big rebuild a couple of years before we did. Or, as hinted by the OP, did they do the undercoat but forgot the final coat?

I think it's more a case that the neglected to sand it back and apply an undercoat.

The cream is there, but they lack substance and decent role players.

Take out Judd, Carlton would finish 9 - 12. They are [censored] and going nowhere fast and I for one am loving it. Ditto The Bombers. Can't wait to see Hird fail at lifting a [censored] playing list.

I have writen many, many threads saying the same thing.

The logic and reality of this can't be argueed with him.

Judd not coming to Melbourne was the best thing for both him and us and Juddy (a mate of mine) was the first to admit this.

So you can honestly say that Chris thought of melbourne's long time Future, and went to Carlton for that reason amongst others?

Wow if that is true, maybe we can get him to Melbourne in later years in a coaching role.

Interesting perspective, Going by his Brownlow night comments-He still takes a keen interest in the Demons-Just wish he wouldn't play so damm well against us!!! B)

Edited by why you little

So you can honestly say that Chris thought of melbourne's long time Future, and went to Carlton for that reason amongst others?

Wow if that is true, maybe we can get him to Melbourne in later years in a coaching role.

Interesting perspective, Going by his Brownlow night comments-He still takes a keen interest in the Demons-Just wish he wouldn't play so damm well against us!!! B)

I can see what he's saying and it's not that far fetched.

Chris should have been able to recognize that MFC would have their rebuilding attempts hampered by his presence, resulting in an undesireable position for both him and the club.

I don't read it as Judd purely wanting to protect the MFC.