Watts with ignoring Watts?

Guest Yeats_08

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For anybody looking to deliver into our forward 50, the last thing they'd expect to find is a team-mate in the clear. So at this stage they don't look for it.

Jack is good at getting into unexpected good positions - places where his opponent doesn't expect him to be, but neither do his teammates at this stage. But this is surely just a matter of fine tuning. Once they get used to where to find him, it will come off.

I'd be very surprised if Josh Mahoney hasn't noticed this too.

What I don't understand with Jack is why he is so reluctant to have a shot at goal,he is always looking to pass it off when close to goal or within his range,which is crazy as I believe he is one of the best,if not the best kick in our team.When Jack has the ball I am generally always confident it will hit it's mark,I don't have to hold my breath and wonder where it will end up.Maybe this is why he is not as favoured to be passed to in the forward line.He should have to earn his spot like all the other boys do.

What I don't understand with Jack is why he is so reluctant to have a shot at goal,he is always looking to pass it off when close to goal or within his range,which is crazy as I believe he is one of the best,if not the best kick in our team.When Jack has the ball I am generally always confident it will hit it's mark,I don't have to hold my breath and wonder where it will end up.Maybe this is why he is not as favoured to be passed to in the forward line.He should have to earn his spot like all the other boys do.

As he gets better and plays more games, the players will look for him more and more. And as he gets more supply, he'll play better due to more opportunities. This will lead to more confidence to take difficult shots for goal instead of passing them off, making him every better.

Its simply the case that he's essentially in his first year and the players don't trust that he'll win a 50-50 contest yet, so why wouldn't you kick it to Green instead. But this will change. We can't forget this is his first real season.

Definitely not something to be concerned about in the slightest. Its natural considering his age and inexperience and it will naturally change as he gets bigger, stronger and better

No he's not. But he is the only player who has had more threads than games played !

That because he was No. 1 pick it goes with the territory.

And we are all looking for the KPF to lead us to the promised land.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic
There are plenty more examples though. I was using the Dunne one to demonstrate the body language of Watts. He gets frustrated without doubt.

Good. If he is going to be the player that we hope he will become then he SHOULD want the ball every time. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Disagree entirely. I have seen him alone at CHF 30-40 metres out several times and is then ignored. That is great considering he is one of the best kicks in the side. Then we see a long bomb to Aussie or someone else with 2 players to beat. I can't understand why it is happening.

As for waiving his arms around after being ignored, I haven't seen that and even if it did happen what has it got to do with ignoring the best option seconds earlier?

There were certainly times yesterday and in other games that I have thought he was the best option and was ignored. But more often than not he has not positioned himself well enough or decisively enough to deserve it. Seems to me to change his mind too often, making 3-4 direction changes, particularly when running towards goals. It is IMHO his single greatest failing this year. It is not an application thing, he covers a lot of ground and is good defensively.

But of all the things to be bad at as a young player I think this is the one that is of least concern. In terms of positioning he plays one of the most difficult roles on the ground (rangey forward). Especially considering he does it in a constantly unsetlled forward line, all our players have been guilty of it at times, but none moreso than Jack. He'll settle, and make decisive leads and the odd damaging double-back and all our forwards will be far more damaging for it.

As for the arm raising thing, I saw it, and it is something I would rather not see.

Guest melbman

The same happens to him at Casey and has done so since his early games there. I agree with some of the earlier posters where he just isn't seen

That because he was No. 1 pick it goes with the territory.

And we are all looking for the KPF to lead us to the promised land.

Yes... all true.

I just get frustrated with the number of posters who seem hell bent on finding fault with him. People don't usually criticise loose men when their teammates blaze away at goal without passing it off ....

Nothing wrong with him showing some disappointment.

I would simply counter that by pointing to the joy he shares with his teammates when a goal is kicked.

Let's look back at this thread in 2015 once the "Are we too Jack Watts focused" threads start because we kick to him too often.

To me he is starting to show more Hird like traits (just a comparison people, not saying he will be Hird) rather than a KP type player. This may change a bit with the physic he brings to the field next year.

That left foot pass in the second quarter to Brad Green :blink: Did anyone else catch that because it was pure, pure class. He looks to have a bit of hunger for it which is why I am not concerned that he displays some disappointment, this hunger is why I believe once he has the body to give him confidence, he will have no issue applying himself physically.

Just to address the notion that he isn't earning his spot on the side, have a look at his stats for yesterday. If you discount the goals column, they are identical to Jurrah. Given that Watts plays further up the ground and rarely gets passes directed to him in the forward 50, it's not unreasonable that he didn't kick a goal with any of them.

So, anyone want to say that Jurrah isn't worth a spot in the side?

Yes... all true.

I just get frustrated with the number of posters who seem hell bent on finding fault with him. People don't usually criticise loose men when their teammates blaze away at goal without passing it off ....

Hoopla I try hard not to find fault but some days my frustration gets the better of me.

Fortunately I do not run the football department, susposedly more skilled peole than me perform that task.

My frustration stems from the number of games Jack gets when he is IMO playing poorly.

I have no choice but to except that the brains trust knows what they are doing.

Hopefully this time next year I will gladly say they were right!

Just to address the notion that he isn't earning his spot on the side, have a look at his stats for yesterday. If you discount the goals column, they are identical to Jurrah. Given that Watts plays further up the ground and rarely gets passes directed to him in the forward 50, it's not unreasonable that he didn't kick a goal with any of them.

So, anyone want to say that Jurrah isn't worth a spot in the side?

Remember that saying about Stats? they do not always tell the full story.

I hope you are not suggesting that yesterday JW was as good LJ!

Nothing wrong with him showing some disappointment.

I would simply counter that by pointing to the joy he shares with his teammates when a goal is kicked.

Let's look back at this thread in 2015 once the "Are we too Jack Watts focused" threads start because we kick to him too often.

To me he is starting to show more Hird like traits (just a comparison people, not saying he will be Hird) rather than a KP type player. This may change a bit with the physic he brings to the field next year.

That left foot pass in the second quarter to Brad Green :blink: Did anyone else catch that because it was pure, pure class. He looks to have a bit of hunger for it which is why I am not concerned that he displays some disappointment, this hunger is why I believe once he has the body to give him confidence, he will have no issue applying himself physically.

I cannot wait,look forward to the day, hope I am still alive.

If not lay the copy of the Hun on my grave.

This will be different in 2011 me thinks.

Jack's positioning when we're playing 90's football (rather than 18 men past half way, is pretty good...he's just leading too early, but he is leading to the right spots. He often leads and finds guys in his space, because he's trying to push the tempo but there's guy streaming through his space.

Will be good next year. go jack

I cannot wait,look forward to the day, hope I am still alive.

If not lay the copy of the Hun on my grave.

Go and have a look at You Tube. See Jack playing with/against similar body types, weight etc etc.

That will translate to AFL over time.

And it will be The Age, you will then get a front page special as well as the sport lift out!

Note - I believe of all threads/post started today, of course a Watts thread is the first to got to two pages? And this one was only started at 12pm.....Geez!!

Opinions vary but one thing is for sure - everyone loves talking Jack Watts.

Edited by Demon Hill

Go and have a look at You Tube. See Jack playing with/against similar body types, weight etc etc.

That will translate to AFL over time.

And it will be The Age, you will then get a front page special as well as the sport lift out!

Note - I believe of all threads/post started today, of course a Watts thread is the first to got to two pages? And this one was only started at 12pm.....Geez!!

Opinions vary but one thing is for sure - everyone loves talking Jack Watts.

I have seen it all before it means little now he is playing with the big boys.

Thanks the Age will be good, especially the GF addition.

I have also noticed this, especially at the richmond game last this year. I was getting very annoyed that he wasnt being given his chances. With his often fumbling, he obviously needs every bit of confidence he can get and he is onyl going to start growing confidence once his own TEAM MATES

Maybe he is ignored because everytime they do pass it to him he takes forever to dispose of it and tries to direct his team mates. It might annoy other players , cause it sure annoys me

J.Watts is a bit to early into his career to start directing his team mates.

good prospect but still a long way to go. needs to attack the man with the ball and tackle not wave his arms around it is not basketball.

I think he will make that left foot pass yesterday was special!!

They don't look fullstop. One thing that I have noticed is that we often choose the wrong decision.

In that last quater, James McDonald had half the field to his own on the kickout. But we went the other route and kicked to a player who had three opponents.

Secondly, our plays do not move at all or work hard enough compared to other sides. Simply, you have to shepard, run of your man, present a little more.

McDonald who kicked to Bate who dropped the mark instead of handpassing to Watts, who probably would have split the middle on the run, was terrible.

Something that really needs work in the preseason.

I have also noticed this, especially at the richmond game last this year. I was getting very annoyed that he wasnt being given his chances. With his often fumbling, he obviously needs every bit of confidence he can get and he is onyl going to start growing confidence once his own TEAM MATES

Its not like his team mates are any better in their skills. We have too many unforced errors. It shouldn't be happening anymore.

ok...lets look at this another way... Is it the quality of some decisions and the inability of some players ( whtether by opportunity, ability, experience ) to spot the better player ?

its a lot easier for us sitting 4 , 5, 15 rows up to see teh obvious play downfield...not so easy out there. Maybe the drills arent exploring where some players prefver ...or are able to go.

either way at many times player A IS ignoring B

If he doesn't back himself to kick goals, why should his teammates?

He has to start trusting his kicking and go for goal when in a 50m range. He is one of the better set shots at the club and can certainly get the distance, but too often he looks to handball or pass the ball inside our forward 50, which in most cases ends in a turnover. It's frustrating because the one thing he doesn't lack is kicking skills!