Match Preview and Team Selection

Demonland

I am really disappointed with melbourne this week. Firstly they make our captain retire stating we have younger players to come thorugh then at selection they drop Bail and think its a good idea to bring in Newton. Why would you do that. Newton isnt the future. He wont be there in 2 years. Bate will be playing for us for the next few years.Even bring in Miller. Bail was good last week, yeah he did some silly things but he has been really good the past few weeks.

I thought Paul Johnson was pretty good for us last week. He actually taps it to our midfield which Jamar sometimes do.

In the week Dean Bailey made a statement for the club he has made a horrible decision in selecting Newton. We know Newton will still be on the rookie list next year becasue some dimbat thought it would be great to put him and meesen back on there.

Sorry just frustrated with Newton being selected. He is not the future!!!!

Dees, Newton will not be on the rookie list next year, he will either be gone or given a 1 year contract.

I believe they are taking insurance at present.

The AFL may bring in a 3 interchange and 1 injury player for the inter change.

If that happens a lot of "experts" are saving that teams will probally not have a second ruckman.

Instead they will go with a pinch hitter ruckman / forward.

I have seen Newton player in this role a number of times this year for Casey.

He has done a good job, admittedly at VFL level.

They may be trying him in the role this week to see how he does.

If this type of role became necessary he may be the only player we have who could do it.

We tried a number of players in this type of role earlier in the year without success so why not.

It is after all experiment time for us now in the last two games.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The selections over this and next week will show some surprises. Bail v's newton as an example. Based on performance Woona and Watts have ? marks on how they hold their spot. However, there must be some plan. Guys that have performed with Casey over the past few weeks include Miller, Cheney, Warnock,Tapscott,Maric,Bate, only Warnock, and now Newton get a gig. I wonder what the plan is??????????????? :blink:

The selections over this and next week will show some surprises. Bail v's newton as an example.

If Bail went out for anyone it was Morton.

Newton replaced PJ.

All the club keeps talking about is getting games into young players that will eventually win us a premiership (hopefully).

How Newton fits into that equation I do not know.

If Newton gets selected ahead of Morton, Bail or McKenzie (what is he doing on the bench anyway? :lol:), then it goes against everything that we've apparently tried to achieve this year.

Newton got selected ahead of PJ, not Bail.

If PJ is dropped we - obviously - need someone to help out Jamar by pinch-hitting in the ruck (particularly if Jamar is carrying an injury).

Bringing in Newton makes sense, given we don't have anyone else who, IMO can do the role.

I'd rather see Newton than PJ - Newton is a more useful player IMO.

Bail is not a direct omission for Newton, PJ is and frankly it's a much for muchness replacement. We gain nothing and lose nothing.

Bail is out for Beamer/Morton who are both in our best 22. It's just disappointing that they chose Bail who has been very good with his run and carry. Mind you he'll probably end up being a late replacement for Beamer anyway.

Guest Thomo

Cale lucky, Bail unlucky. Watts could provide relief in the ruck, could be good experience with only two games to go before a long rest. Newton????????????????? FFS. Surely there must be a reason. Are we any chance of getting a priority pick? Is Hansie Cronje somehow involved? Does he have photos that involve a goat?

Happy to see Newton in. His form as a relief-ruckman/forward at VFL level has been really good, so it would be nice to see if he can translate that into the big time. Couldn't possibly do much worse than PJ

Bail out, not so happy about. I wonder if Beamer will come up, with Bail a likely late change? Certainly didnt deserve to be dropped this week.

FINAL TEAMS

Melbourne

B: Colin Garland, Matthew Warnock, Clint Bartram

HB: Cameron Bruce, James Frawley, Jared Rivers

C: Brad Green, James McDonald, Nathan Jones

HF: Jack Watts, Liam Jurrah, Colin Sylvia

F: Austin Wonaeamirri, Lynden Dunn, Jamie Bennell

Foll: Mark Jamar, Jack Trengove, Tom Scully

I/C: Cale Morton, Brent Moloney, Jordie McKenzie, Michael Newton

Emg: Rohan Bail, Paul Johnson, Matthew Bate

In: Brent Moloney, Michael Newton, Matthew Warnock, Cale Morton

Out: Aaron Davey (leg), Paul Johnson , Joel Macdonald (ankle), Rohan Bail

Yep... looks as though the FD wish to have a look at the guys on knife's edge. Newton is surely playing for his career - he should count himself VERY fortunate to be playing in the side celebrating Junior's 250th. Junior will ONLY want those going into battle with him to give 100% plus some! Nothing less.

PJ a massive omission. Jamar needs to be looked after so that he doesn't get injured before pre-season commences!! Hence, I'm all for big PJ to go in and lend a hand. Newton to ruck...? :/

Yep... looks as though the FD wish to have a look at the guys on knife's edge. Newton is surely playing for his career - he should count himself VERY fortunate to be playing in the side celebrating Junior's 250th. Junior will ONLY want those going into battle with him to give 100% plus some! Nothing less.

PJ a massive omission. Jamar needs to be looked after so that he doesn't get injured before pre-season commences!! Hence, I'm all for big PJ to go in and lend a hand. Newton to ruck...? :/

Well PJ only had a handful of hitouts last week and according to the Hun zero to advantage (plus a handful of disposals)

So Newton hasn't much to beat. More pinch-hit than ruck though

I'm not suprised by this weeks changes to be honest. Am a little miffed by the hysteria. PJ has battled IMO and at the start of the year I thought Juice played pretty well in the pinch hit role. Macdonald injured Frawley can play his role and Warnock steps into the true full back role. Morton replaces Davey as an outside runner and sweeper. Bail has plenty of the ball but has turned it over a lot and given away a lot of frees. He may still play if Beamer doesn't come up.

The ones who would be worried would be Miller and Cheney. Both may be in the gun.

The selection commitee have just lost my respect. Whilst Bail did give away some wreckless freekicks, his game last week was his best for the club. He found lots of the footy, showed good dash and used it well. We've hit a low if we're going to drop in-form players for those with a 'reputation'.

The selection commitee have just lost my respect. Whilst Bail did give away some wreckless freekicks, his game last week was his best for the club. He found lots of the footy, showed good dash and used it well. We've hit a low if we're going to drop in-form players for those with a 'reputation'.

I'm wondering if it may have something to do with qualifying Bail for Casey in the VFL finals. He's played 8 games for MFC this season.

Have a read of this from KC from Casey in the Casey Forum: -

An MFC player must have played 7 with Casey and no more than 12 AFL games.

Eligibility for VFL finals..

I'm not exactly sure how many games Bail has played at Casey, he has been injured during the season. He must be close I would have thought or thereabouts ~7 games.

Just maybe he needs to play this week to be eligible ??

If that is the case, I can definitely see good reason that would be of benefit to him and Casey for that matter. If it was the case, I'd have a great deal of respect re: selection.

edit: -

Just had a look at this thread: -

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-118-0-0-0&sID=60264&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=13038349&sectionID=60264

Having read one of KC from Casey's post it would appear that Bail requires 3 more games to qualify and be eligible. He may well just fall short.

Edited by High Tower

I was one of those who had great belief in Juice back in the early days and even happened to be on hand when he kicked nine goals at FF for Sandringham reserves including six in one quarter. I take some responsibility therefore for some of the Juice hysteria that took place over the following year or so as he gradually worked his way through the VFL to his first game against Essendon (co-incidentally, Neale Daniher's farewell). There was one game for Sandy v Casey when he turned on an absolute blinder kicking a few goals of the year, setting up some great goals for his teammates and taking mark of the year three times.

The problem was that he was probably neither emotionally or physically ready yet for the big time. Craig Cameron once explained that he came from a small bush town and that he would inevitably take time to settle down in the big smoke.

It's funny that we often factor in the need for most indigenous players to have time to adapt to life in the AFL spotlight but we don't have the same tolerance and insight when it comes to young kids from the bush whose lives also equally undergo great upheaval when they join an AFL club. I think Juice lost his way and might quite possibly have been out of the system by now. I certainly lost faith in him by the end of last year and thought his career might well be over.

There are two things that seem to have changed this. Juice himself has shown greater maturity on the football field since his demotion to the rookie list and the game is changing as well. He wasn't going to cut it as a KPF forward the way that position was changing but there's now a new position available for a pinch hitting mobile ruckman/forward. So Juice has a two week window of opportunity to prove he can cut it in this role at this level. Well I say good luck to him and to his detractors, what harm can it do now that the finals are out of the question to give someone who's given five years to the club a fair go?

It seems the selection panel has continued the Club's uncompromising approach of doing what's best for the future.

Young players who are viewed to be integral to our best team in 2013+ are automatic selections for the sake of experience (ie Bennell, Wonaeamirri, Watts and Jurrah). Although Morton has played more AFL games than Bail I would include Morton on this list too as he plays like he's less experienced, reflecting the 2 year age gap. While I'd pick Bail over Morton in my best 22 today, I think Morton has the greater potential. Still, I agree, Bail is stiff.

Other selections will help facilitate list management decisions. I like the idea of bringing in Newton for PJ. We won't keep both of them but need to keep one. We already know what PJ offers as a 2nd ruck, and put simply, it's not enough for a premiership team. After his first season of playing this role (in the VFL), I would like to see what Newton offers at AFL level before delisting him.

Bail is not a direct omission for Newton, PJ is

Yeah, and I'm pretty sure I said that in my post - twice.

Newton's been rucking in the VFL and by all reports he's been doing a good job. He also held his own at AFL level when providing ruck relief.

Do you think PJ has a future as a relief ruck? Has he been setting the world on fire?

Cale lucky, Bail unlucky.

I agree.

However, while I don't think Bail's in our best 22 I do think Morton is, and DB's constantly talked about the importance of our players getting games together.

Watts could provide relief in the ruck, could be good experience with only two games to go before a long rest.

No thanks.

Newton????????????????? FFS. Surely there must be a reason. Are we any chance of getting a priority pick? Is Hansie Cronje somehow involved? Does he have photos that involve a goat?

Two questions:

One, what do you know of Newton's form in the VFL this season?

Two, what do you think of PJ?

The changes to interchange rules haven't actually occurred yet have they? Aren't the proposed rules to be trialled in the NAB cup and then decided on?

No. Not in this case. The AFL have stated that should they decide it is warranted, they WILL be bringing in a rule straight away to the season proper without any trial.

Bail is not a direct omission for Newton, PJ is and frankly it's a much for muchness replacement. We gain nothing and lose nothing.

Bail is out for Beamer/Morton who are both in our best 22. It's just disappointing that they chose Bail who has been very good with his run and carry. Mind you he'll probably end up being a late replacement for Beamer anyway.

Bail is stiff. Just like Maric was a few weeks ago. But once again, it is a good problem because it shows the development of the depth in our list.

Scully..your kidding. :blink:

He may have been slightly down against the Hawks but he had leather poisoning against Richmond and Brisbane the weeks before.

I think he is looking tired-hope I'm wrong once again and he stars-Trengove has not played well for weeks.Both have had a stellar year but IMO both will be glad when Sunday week comes around.

Edited by jayceebee31

I was one of those who had great belief in Juice back in the early days and even happened to be on hand when he kicked nine goals at FF for Sandringham reserves including six in one quarter. I take some responsibility therefore for some of the Juice hysteria that took place over the following year or so as he gradually worked his way through the VFL to his first game against Essendon (co-incidentally, Neale Daniher's farewell). There was one game for Sandy v Casey when he turned on an absolute blinder kicking a few goals of the year, setting up some great goals for his teammates and taking mark of the year three times.

The problem was that he was probably neither emotionally or physically ready yet for the big time. Craig Cameron once explained that he came from a small bush town and that he would inevitably take time to settle down in the big smoke.

It's funny that we often factor in the need for most indigenous players to have time to adapt to life in the AFL spotlight but we don't have the same tolerance and insight when it comes to young kids from the bush whose lives also equally undergo great upheaval when they join an AFL club. I think Juice lost his way and might quite possibly have been out of the system by now. I certainly lost faith in him by the end of last year and thought his career might well be over.

There are two things that seem to have changed this. Juice himself has shown greater maturity on the football field since his demotion to the rookie list and the game is changing as well. He wasn't going to cut it as a KPF forward the way that position was changing but there's now a new position available for a pinch hitting mobile ruckman/forward. So Juice has a two week window of opportunity to prove he can cut it in this role at this level. Well I say good luck to him and to his detractors, what harm can it do now that the finals are out of the question to give someone who's given five years to the club a fair go?

HERE HERE -WELL SAID

I thought Bail was a standout last week. Bennell can thank his lucky stars it was Bail dropped and not him.

On Newton. No doubt has the skills. Early on in his career he had me thinking he was going to take Neitas spot when he retired. Truth is he has not taken a step forward for years. Whether you play him in the ruck or forward or wherever, one thing remains constant- he has no ticker! Skills a plenty, but with no heart you are not going to cut it at AFL level.

Do we rookie list him next season? If the ruck/forward "swingman" role does become part of the game, there is no harm in giving him one last chance on a one year deal. Would he take the contract? If he wants to make it at this level it might be his only chance.