Demon Leigh Brown

Redleg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not are, Was.. Past tense.

I was in that boat a few years back. I wouldn't do it Now as we are well on our way down the rebuild path, still with some roles to attend to.

I think Martin will fill that role, & fully expect that he'll bounce back bigger & better after a trying time this year. We've recruited some big boys last year that will cover those areas going forward, so I think we could look at the other area's,,, the full forward area, a temp that could insure us, whilst Watts & ???draftpick????? develop.

Am with you dee-luded. Stef is the forgotten man amongst supporters. A difficult year no doubt, but I still reckon he'll come back to that role with aplomb. Big and talented, and with more to offer on the contested mark. The most disappointing thing about Johnson, Newton, Miller and Bate is their inability to take a true contested mark overhead. Aside from Brad Green, Dunn and Petterd have shown the best chops for a contested forward line mark (and Jamar when he is there). Jurrah is freaky good, but not body to body, and Jack Watts will, I believe, start showing his contested marking next year.

Seriously, the only bloke I think close to fitting this bill would be Quinten Lynch.

No?

I think he's worth a shot, but who knows what WC would want.

I think the big Q's best football is well and truly behind him, to be dropped four times in one season by the league's worst team is a pretty damming stastic.

One player who I think may be worth considering is Chris Tarrant.

According to the WA media, he and is wife want to return to Victoria and he is someone who can fulfill a need down back, at least in the shortterm.

He was a very good forward, both at the filth and the first part of his career as a focker, but since he has re-invented himself as a key defender, he has moved onto the elite status.

We have a very good back six but as far as key defenders go, there really isn't much backup.

The game seems to be passing Matthew Warnock by at a rapid rate and to put it kindly, the jury is still out on Martin and MacNamara.

Who replaces Chip if he goes down for an extended period of time?

In the past we've robbed Peter to pay Paul by using the likes of Dunn, Bruce and Morton to plug holes down back, can we afford to keep doing this moving forward?

In my opinion, we can't so I think this is an issue that needs to be resolved quickly, what is now our strength can quickly become our weakness if we don't address this.

I think we need another mobile gorilla down back who is ready to go now, as well as I think we should use our first draft pick on the best available key defender, who will be ready to go by 2013/14 when we're gonna be pushing for the top4 and a possible grand final birth.

The only question mark surrounding Tarrant is that he turns 30 next year, but if he can keep his body together for 3 or 4 more years, is he worth the gamble??

I don't think we should look at trading for a key forward this year as I think the building blocks are already pretty much in place, physical matuaration and the return of Petterd will make them better, they're already quite efficient at converting inside 5o's into scoring shots, the mid-field just needs to it in there more often.

The midfield with the return of primemovers like Grimes and the physical maturation of the younsters, will also improve this unit greatly, therefore our inside 50's will vastly increase.

Seriously, the only bloke I think close to fitting this bill would be Quinten Lynch.

No?

I think he's worth a shot, but who knows what WC would want.

I certainly won't disagree with you here at all!! A booming 80m kick and a guy that crashes a pack like not many others can - he's an absolute monster and intimidating at the least!

Watts and co. could certainly work off the Big Q quite nicely I'd imagine.

Whatever anyone thinks about this topic there is one fact that can't be argued against and that is the top 4 sides all have 2 or more big bodied players in their forward lines. Dawes, Cloke and Brown himself for the Pies, Mooney, Pods and Hawkins for the Cats, Nick and Kosi for the Saints and Hall and Hahn for the Dogs.

Now hit those keyboards those of you who think we don't need at least one.

Whatever anyone thinks about this topic there is one fact that can't be argued against and that is the top 4 sides all have 2 or more big bodied players in their forward lines. Dawes, Cloke and Brown himself for the Pies, Mooney, Pods and Hawkins for the Cats, Nick and Kosi for the Saints and Hall and Hahn for the Dogs.

Agree with you 100%, but I just have to say this... *ahem*:

"Out of all his folk,

Travis Cloke,

Is the biggest joke."

A massive unit and probably better suited outside 50 and pumping the ball into attack... but I've never really rated the bloke. Played superbly a fortnight ago vs Essendon, but it'll be interesting to see how he goes in the finals series against QUALITY OPPOSITION.

I cant see Newton playing again this year, I thought today just clarified that he isnt up to standard of AFL.

We do need that bigger body up forward and Miller has tried and gone well on to few occasions.

That is why we push Jamar forward.

It would be good to have a Kosi or Roughhead, is there any worthy uncontracted players worth a punt?

Newton does take overhead marks around the ground, 'Now',,,, up Back, & down Forward. But don't expect him to come on & do it strait off, he'll still need some time to adjust to the higher standard,, but give him some latitude,, he's becoming a different player, finding some maturity,,, & through that process, some belief. Not easy @ the highest level. But he can do it, with our support.

If it doesn't work out, we've lost nothing, if it works out, it's a big Win, allround.

He's one of ours. We should help him, not Crucify him.

I think the big Q's best football is well and truly behind him, to be dropped four times in one season by the league's worst team is a pretty damming stastic.

One player who I think may be worth considering is Chris Tarrant.

According to the WA media, he and is wife want to return to Victoria and he is someone who can fulfill a need down back, at least in the shortterm.

He was a very good forward, both at the filth and the first part of his career as a focker, but since he has re-invented himself as a key defender, he has moved onto the elite status.

We have a very good back six but as far as key defenders go, there really isn't much backup.

The game seems to be passing Matthew Warnock by at a rapid rate and to put it kindly, the jury is still out on Martin and MacNamara.

Who replaces Chip if he goes down for an extended period of time?

In the past we've robbed Peter to pay Paul by using the likes of Dunn, Bruce and Morton to plug holes down back, can we afford to keep doing this moving forward?

In my opinion, we can't so I think this is an issue that needs to be resolved quickly, what is now our strength can quickly become our weakness if we don't address this.

I think we need another mobile gorilla down back who is ready to go now, as well as I think we should use our first draft pick on the best available key defender, who will be ready to go by 2013/14 when we're gonna be pushing for the top4 and a possible grand final birth.

The only question mark surrounding Tarrant is that he turns 30 next year, but if he can keep his body together for 3 or 4 more years, is he worth the gamble??

I don't think we should look at trading for a key forward this year as I think the building blocks are already pretty much in place, physical matuaration and the return of Petterd will make them better, they're already quite efficient at converting inside 5o's into scoring shots, the mid-field just needs to it in there more often.

The midfield with the return of primemovers like Grimes and the physical maturation of the younsters, will also improve this unit greatly, therefore our inside 50's will vastly increase.

Jarred Brennan???

Am with you dee-luded. Stef is the forgotten man amongst supporters. A difficult year no doubt, but I still reckon he'll come back to that role with aplomb. Big and talented, and with more to offer on the contested mark. The most disappointing thing about Johnson, Newton, Miller and Bate is their inability to take a true contested mark overhead. Aside from Brad Green, Dunn and Petterd have shown the best chops for a contested forward line mark (and Jamar when he is there). Jurrah is freaky good, but not body to body, and Jack Watts will, I believe, start showing his contested marking next year.

Agreed, but, don't give up on Newton, Just Yet. He can take an overhead mark, & when motoring & I have a feeling he'll start to take some strong contested marks as he grows in confidance. He's just finding self belief, yeah, OK, but its better late than Never. Just too soon to give up.

Give him another year of chances, there's some good signs worth persevering with, IMO. He was always recruited as a long shot, but talented.

Now hit those keyboards those of you who think we don't need at least one.

Agree with this post completely. The issue is whether we trade for a mature big body or develop our own, either one currently on the list or through trading in a youngster. My preference is for the development path as we're more likely to end up with a player who can play a meaningful part in our future. It's probably slightly early to be plugging holes with stop-gap solutions when our best players are realistically at least a couple of years from their peak.

Agree with this post completely. The issue is whether we trade for a mature big body or develop our own, either one currently on the list or through trading in a youngster. My preference is for the development path as we're more likely to end up with a player who can play a meaningful part in our future. It's probably slightly early to be plugging holes with stop-gap solutions when our best players are realistically at least a couple of years from their peak.

I would be happy with whatever method is used to get one, develop our own, trade, draft, as long as we end up with one. My thread is not necessarily about getting one from somewhere else if we have one or two to develop, it is about the need to have one in the forward line now to assist the lighter bodies.

I'd also prefer developing our own for the future. Most of the names mentioned are hacks or too expensive. Leigh Brown is now playing good footy in a quality side. Their structure makes it easy for him to look good. But if he lost form I don't think they would keep playing him because of his size alone. He looked like a beached whale when we played them earlier this year.

At this stage of our game development I don't think it is a major issue to have one of these types. Our scoring inside 50 efficiency is the best in the competition at the moment. The major problem as others have said is getting the ball there often enough or keeping it in there when its not delivered at breakneck pace.

• 4 weeks later...

I would be happy with whatever method is used to get one, develop our own, trade, draft, as long as we end up with one. My thread is not necessarily about getting one from somewhere else if we have one or two to develop, it is about the need to have one in the forward line now to assist the lighter bodies.

Brown in the best players again last night and very influential in getting them there and winning. They are basiacally a young side like we are yet he fits in perfectly. Enough said.

PS. I am not advocating chasing Brown but someone like him.

David Hale, Jason Laycock, Angus Graham, Jon Griffin, Daniel Stewart.

I think we should give Stewart a massive go but is the most expensive from that group. Will be worth it. Perfect one two punch with Watts.