Potential Draftees 2010 Videos

Freak

http://bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=728769

Here are some videos of some 2010 draftees.

i'm a firm believer of the best available (for a clubs first pick in any draft) and regardless of hype or draft needs I like the look of josh Caddy and Matthew Watson.

Who do you like?

2 great picks- Andrew Gaff & Daniel Gorringe are two others that I think will be beauties. Andrew is also a staunch Dee supporter.

2 great picks- Andrew Gaff & Daniel Gorringe are two others that I think will be beauties. Andrew is also a staunch Dee supporter.

Gorringe looks a draft stud. Both he and Gaff should go top 5. For Melbourne I'd like any of Watson, Scott Lycett, Lucas Cook or Tom Lynch. Lynch Cook and Watson may get to us, Lycett unlikely. If we went away from the talls (who dominate this draft class) Atley or Jayden Pitt are classy ballwinners who use it well. Don't think Atley would get to us though.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

How many guns are there that are/were Demons growing up? We could just about win a flag with half of them.

Edited by Rojik of the Arctic

How many guns are there that are/were Demons growing up? We could just about win a flag with half of them.

Juddy and apparently Buddy as well.

Luke Shuey and David Astbury are recent draftees who were Dee's fans. I remember reading that Shuey modelled his game on Nate Jones.

I liked Gorringe, & Watson, (see Hurley),,, & Cook. There seems a lot of tall talented Key posi players in SA & VIC.

Darling was alright as well but isn't he only 6'-2"? I see he's 6'-3"..

Powerfully built. Possible full forward. Not for mine, not our 1st pick.

Gorringe looks a draft stud. Both he and Gaff should go top 5. For Melbourne I'd like any of Watson, Scott Lycett, Lucas Cook or Tom Lynch. Lynch Cook and Watson may get to us, Lycett unlikely. If we went away from the talls (who dominate this draft class) Atley or Jayden Pitt are classy ballwinners who use it well. Don't think Atley would get to us though.

Great points you raise.

I'm not too worried by the gold coast this draft. As has been said, there seem to be a lot of good talls available. How many will they need? I'd expect them to take 3, maybe 4, but mostly be stocking up on midfielders. That seems to be the trend. They will need to trade and/or recruit at least some of the spine and ruck division other wise they'll be pitting teenagers against men in all key positions for at least two years. Bailey has said that we need another big powerful forward, and I'm sure there will be some left to pick from by the time we get a pick.

The GC17 won't want to end up like Essendon.

I think Lynch looks the best fit for us and most likely to be left when we ge to pick.

Not so sure about Watson.

Day looks like NicNat a better football IQ... but so did NicNat at that level.

The GC17 won't want to end up like Essendon.

I think Lynch looks the best fit for us and most likely to be left when we ge to pick.

Not so sure about Watson.

Day looks like NicNat a better football IQ... but so did NicNat at that level.

I just watched the SA v Vic Metro game in full on the weekend. Day looks a far more complete a footballer than Naitanui at the same stage. Better game sense and skills. A lovely mark (great hands), good, solid kick. Naitanui's marking game was nowhere near as impressive at under Under 18's. Took the odd hanger, but would finish with 2 marks for the game, and never saw him take many of the lead to space variety. Would win possession if he followed up after a ruck contest, but would disappear when out of the contest. He looked a very raw prospect, with lots of intangible potential, and the biggest knock on him was a lack of IQ.

Day has Naitanui covered in the 'conventional'(read tangible) skills bracket, but didn't see the quite the same acceleration and competitiveness (Naitanui's chasedowns are a thing of beauty), and Day failed to put in a four quarter performance in during the Championships. Once he can maintain performance across a whole game, he will be a ripper.

Opinion of Gorringe and/or Lycett, ChaserJ?

I thought, regrettably, Gorringe just reminds me of Paul Johnson.

Doest seem to have great overhead skills outside the ruck, but looks skillful and good when the ball hits the deck.

Lycett has better agility but seems less skillful.

Better overhead, but only marginally.

I like Lucas Cook but he just looks a little short to me.

Darling is short too, I know, but he seems like a forward version of Josh Toy to me.

I'd love him in red & blue, even if there is little chance.

gorringe and lycett won't be on our rader. A) they will most likely be takeb before us and B) we don't need another ruckman! THey are ruckman not key position forwards. I don't really like jack darlings foot skills but his 1%'s and hardness at the ball and man is something we really lack and he has aggression (and size too) in spades. He will turn into a Frawley-esque man mountain.

Opinion of Gorringe and/or Lycett, ChaserJ?

I thought, regrettably, Gorringe just reminds me of Paul Johnson.

Doest seem to have great overhead skills outside the ruck, but looks skillful and good when the ball hits the deck.

Lycett has better agility but seems less skillful.

Better overhead, but only marginally.

I like Lucas Cook but he just looks a little short to me.

Darling is short too, I know, but he seems like a forward version of Josh Toy to me.

I'd love him in red & blue, even if there is little chance.

Gorringe's tap work is as good as anyone that's come through the under 18's in recent years. Haven't seen anyone consistently tap to advantage, and show such great rucking IQ at this stage of his career. Probably where Johnson falls a bit short in comparison. He looked terrific below his knees and has a good leap and finished well near goals. Didn't see too much overhead marking, but conditions didn't suit against Vic Country, and plenty of reports to say he is quite a good mark. Based on what I've seen, he looks very good, probably wont crack GC in the top 3 selections (which seem set), but I'd say he wont be too far behind.

Lycett seems interesting. He could go anywhere in the top ten. Didn't seem as skillful as Gorringe in the ruck (will win plenty of hitouts, but his work didn't have the subtlety of Gorringe). Can clunk a mark, played plenty of footy up forward in junior footy, and a bit for the seniors as well, but needs to improve his kicking. I understand that he had to play out the last game under a fair bit of stress after a good mate passed away in a car accident back home. Apparently he flew back for the funeral (might even have spoken at the service) and then flew back to Vic to play the last game of the champs. Played OK without standing out (in my opinion), but a massive effort and speaks volumes to me about his character. Have to agree with the above post, don't think either will be around when we pick, but I'll keep an eye on them wherever they end up.

I like Cook as well. Did a few really nice team oriented things against SA, and seems to have good vision. Sets up scoring opportunities and liked seeing him chase and tackle. Don't know how dominant a forward he'll end up being (did play well at both ends for Vic Country duting the champs), but I like that he does the team things and can bring others into play and his skills impressed.

Darling's fascinating. Haven't watched the Vic Metro v WA game yet, but I did see him in the flesh last year at Etihad, and I really enjoyed watching him. Height was always an issue, even then, but I reckon he makes up for it with his sheer bloody minded aggression at the ball, allied with his strength and obvious ability. Even if he doesn't play key forward, he could still create a mismatch to advantage in the forward line, and his marking and forward line pressure are strengths that would definitely help the Dee's up front. I do wonder whether his game, which takes advantage of his powerful frame (which is such an obvious advantage at junior level), might be exposed at senior level.

His stock seems to have plummeted this year, and doubts seem to continually circulate around his ability to play key forward in the AFL and ability to play in alternate positions. Also maturity and character have been called into question by some, but I don't really think those are issues with Darling long term. I find it hard to believe that he wont be a successful AFL player given his traits and demonstrated ability, but where he goes is not certain. He could go top ten, or he could drift out to the second round, but he's definitely not the dead set top 3 pick he was this time last year. I'd be happy if we got him, but would understand if the club had reservations and looked elsewhere.

FWIW I like Tom Lynch and is most likely to be the best available KPP at our pick, and wouldn't mind us taking a long look at Luke Mitchell. He could be a very good value pick for a club at the draft.

MFC need to trade their picks for veteran players if they hope to be a competitive side.

Yes, we will go for Brad Johnson and Cornes .You would have to be joking or stirring !

We need to gain some experience by picking up a 22/23 year old tall if one is available and or suitable.

Guest The Boss

Josh Fraser is out of favour at Collingwood, and he'd be worth a look. Move Jamar to full forward, and have Fraser and PJ share the rucking duties

One point about Jack Darling that seems to have been missed is that he's played the majority of his junior football as a midfielder. Don't know about anybody here but I think that if other clubs are dumb enough to let a midfielder who is more than handy as a key position forward fall to us , than they're had better be a bloody good player that we take instead!! Don't forget that at 17, he's 189cm, 93kg and i'd imagine he probably still has a little bit more growth in him too!! We'd be crazy to discount him due to a percieved lack of height especially if he so many other thinngs going for him such as competitivness,awareness,ball winning ability goal scoring ability, ability to apply defensive pressure mental attitude and footy smarts!! I'd also be interested to see how impressive his vertical leap and beep test is- so looking forward to his draft camp performance if he looks the goods and he's available, then i'd definately want BP to consider drafting him!! Go Dees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One point about Jack Darling that seems to have been missed is that he's played the majority of his junior football as a midfielder. Don't know about anybody here but I think that if other clubs are dumb enough to let a midfielder who is more than handy as a key position forward fall to us , than they're had better be a bloody good player that we take instead!! Don't forget that at 17, he's 189cm, 93kg and i'd imagine he probably still has a little bit more growth in him too!! We'd be crazy to discount him due to a percieved lack of height especially if he so many other thinngs going for him such as competitivness,awareness,ball winning ability goal scoring ability, ability to apply defensive pressure mental attitude and footy smarts!! I'd also be interested to see how impressive his vertical leap and beep test is- so looking forward to his draft camp performance if he looks the goods and he's available, then i'd definately want BP to consider drafting him!! Go Dees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vitually stopped growing two years ago- now 190 cms tall-however your points are very valid and I agree.

Bit of inside info. I know for a FACT we are very VERY interested in nick jamieson for a later pick. He plays for scotch college and is a twin of travis Johnston except a better kick( yes no joke). There's one game left for scotch this year, it's worth watching him play.

Josh Fraser is out of favour at Collingwood, and he'd be worth a look. Move Jamar to full forward, and have Fraser and PJ share the rucking duties

Not a troll... merely a fool?