White Clash Jumper

Guest Redleg_24

Guest Redleg_24

I know that a lot of people have mentioned this on other threads as a passing comment, but I am wondering why we chose to wear the white clash strip against Carlton on the weekend and not the red one? I, as many of you know, hate the idea of even having a clash strip and in particular, the current design of our clash strip, but surely if we had to go that way over the weekend the all red one would have been enough?

We are the team of the red and blue and not the South Yarra All White's! It looks rubbish out there, I had a hard time distinguishing who was who. I had taken my girlfriend to her first game and she kept asking "why are the demons wearing those jumpers. Is that there normal jumpers? Thats not the jumper you always wear to bed after the games ; ). I dont get it!" (She knows very little about football being from the Sunshine State). But really and truly, it was annoying. We don't look like the Dee's in those jumpers, I hate Mr constipated Demon who stole Batman's cape guy on the front.

The AFL seriously needs to get this right next season. I think that inverting the colours of all teams in a potential clash really solves the problem. Can't see what the problem with that is. The AFL should direct all clubs to immediately to as such. The Doggies are one club that already does this, Collingwood too (if you accept that). Lets see the eagles do it (back to their yellow jumpers of the early 80's. Essendon in Red with a black Sash, Richmond yellow with Black sash. St Kilda are fine, Lions go all yellow and invert, The Saints have an All white back going already as does Freo and the Power. Adelaide can't do much. Replace navy with white perhaps and leave the stripes. Geelong are fine, can inert as they sometimes do, Carlton invert, we invert, I see no problems!!!

But please don't let us roll out in that white strip ever again unless it is absolutely necessary. Only time i see that it is necessary is perhaps against the Lions. That is it!

Edited by Redleg_24

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's our clash jumper this year. No predominant red jumper or anything.

If you ask me every team should have a mainly white clash jumper with the team logo across the front (e.g. Doggies, Freo, Brisbane, St Kilda and now Melbourne). That includes you Essendon and Collingwood :P

I think the words p******g uphill is the phrase you are looking for if you expect the AFL to 'order' Essendon and Collingwood to change their jumpers.

There is nothing wrong with the white jumper, it is only for the occassional game, why do we get so precious, at least it is not that horrible silver thing again.

By the way I found "Thats not the jumper you always wear to bed after the games", rather too much information

If you ask me every team should have a mainly white clash jumper with the team logo across the front (e.g. Doggies, Freo, Brisbane, St Kilda and now Melbourne). That includes you Essendon and Collingwood :P

Yes but we look like a bunch of Pansys in it, then again we used to be Fuchsias! Easy to see why we became the Demons.

If I was Essendon, Collingwood etc I would have a change strip soccer style, absolutely no resemblence to your normal strip whatsoever. Make it yellow or green or something like that. Market it as an away strip and watch it fly out the merchandise stand. Change it every two years and bingo, a ready made revenue stream.

But they all have this "tradition, blah, blah, blah" bollocks going on so this will never happen

Really??? Again???

We have 2 clash jumpers. The AFL dictates to us on which one we can wear against which sides. The reasoning for each 'clash' is entirely opaque and defies common sense, but the AFL are calling the shots here.

The club created the red clash guernsey in response to the howls of protest about the white guernsey and we wear it whenever we can. I don't know who we're allowed to wear it against, it's beyond me as much as it is you.

Guest Redleg_24

Really??? Again???

We have 2 clash jumpers. The AFL dictates to us on which one we can wear against which sides. The reasoning for each 'clash' is entirely opaque and defies common sense, but the AFL are calling the shots here.

The club created the red clash guernsey in response to the howls of protest about the white guernsey and we wear it whenever we can. I don't know who we're allowed to wear it against, it's beyond me as much as it is you.

Exactly, I would have thought it was pretty clear cut. Carlton, all blue, Melbourne all red. How much clearer can it get. The umpires can even wear their traditional all white strips. Imagine that. Shhesh!

Some of you have stated that we have abandoned the Red one this year. I was unaware of this. If that is the case it makes sense.

Still dont get how we clash with many of the teams the AFL have identified us as clashing with.

As a short side note, I believe that Carlton and Melbourne were the first teams to establish their colours. i recall a story about some guy bringing back knickerbockers from the U.K. and there was a set of all blue and supposed to be a set of all red but they were short of one part of the kit and we mixed and matched. Or at least I think that's how the story goes.

If we have to wear a "clash Strip" last week it should have been RED with a BLUE V Yolk. Our Trad Jumper inverted...SIMPLE.

Do Carlton wear any Red in their stinking jumper???

but they do wear a small amount of white......I shall say it again. We are not Footscray we are Melbourne. The Team of the RED & BLUE...

End Rant (for Now)

Guest Redleg_24

The AFL will say the small Red Mars logo clashes. It is a joke. Inverted is the way to go! We can change this clash business next year! LAST CHANCE

If we have to wear a "clash Strip" last week it should have been RED with a BLUE V Yolk. Our Trad Jumper inverted...SIMPLE.

but they do wear a small amount of white......I shall say it again. We are not Footscray we are Melbourne. The Team of the RED & BLUE...

End Rant (for Now)

I don't understand the negativity with Essendon and Collingwood. They both have "away" jumpers - Collingwood normally wear Black with White stripes, their away jumper is White with Black stripes. And Essendon have Black with a Red sash, then their alternative jummper is Red with 2 chuncks of black, one placed over the right shoulder, and the other at the bottom left corner.

They own the AFL - we have to live with it!!!!!!

My Biggest worry is that the Big Victorian clubs dictate to the AFL what Clash Strip colours they will wear.

We are obviously told by the AFL to wear certain colours as a clash strip.

We as a club must stand up for our traditions however small some people may think this subject is.

Last weekend looked apalling.

Our clash strip should always be RED & blue. No other colours.

Our clash strip should always be RED & blue. No other colours.

I'm perplexed as well, as to why we didn't wear the RED version of the clash strip.

Not overly happy with that, but at least it's not WHITE.

If it's about shorts or socks, surely we could have those be red as well?

Keep the RED AND BLUE, FFS.

IMO - the white jumper stinks, not just ours but the entire competitions!! Not only is it uninspiring and insipid but all teams look the same, WCE and Hawks especially. It really only makes sense for Dogs to wear it being that it is inverted.

If...IF we have to wear one....it should constitute the same colors....the mighty red and blue or blue and red in this case!

It seems to me that the AFL and others use the UK soccer argument....if it's good enough for MAN U etc etc....well at least the English FA have enough sense to keep MAN U in their traditional red stripunless there is an obvious clash....for example they play Chelsea twice a year, Birmingham for the most part twice a year, Portsmouth twice a year....all these teams wear blue and MAN U always wear the Red against them...why?? Because there is no clash!

Invert, Invert, Invert or leave the thing alone!!

PS - I actually think Collingwood have done the right thing and do invert and I can tell the difference even against St Kilda....it's not that hard!

IMO - the white jumper stinks, not just ours but the entire competitions!! Not only is it uninspiring and insipid but all teams look the same, WCE and Hawks especially. It really only makes sense for Dogs to wear it being that it is inverted.

If...IF we have to wear one....it should constitute the same colors....the mighty red and blue or blue and red in this case!

It seems to me that the AFL and others use the UK soccer argument....if it's good enough for MAN U etc etc....well at least the English FA have enough sense to keep MAN U in their traditional red stripunless there is an obvious clash....for example they play Chelsea twice a year, Birmingham for the most part twice a year, Portsmouth twice a year....all these teams wear blue and MAN U always wear the Red against them...why?? Because there is no clash!

Invert, Invert, Invert or leave the thing alone!!

PS - I actually think Collingwood have done the right thing and do invert and I can tell the difference even against St Kilda....it's not that hard!

Totally Agree with all you have said, particularly the Highlighted sentence. Any of the Bird Motifs just look bloody awful. Cheap Shoddy and cartoon like.

I really hope the club gets to read this-as Schwabby has made so many references as to what the MFC stands for.

It certainly wasn't last saturdays strip. Send that Rubbish to the Whitten Oval

I really hope the club gets to read this-as Schwabby has made so many references as to what the MFC stands for.

I hope it doesn't. You on the record as saying you cant recognise any clashes of guernseys in even when you see them on B&W TV.

You would have been better off complaining that we clashed with the seagulls at the ground.

I saw two people wearing that abomination of a predominately silver jumper.

The white is miles better than that.

That's fine, but we will always wear our main shirt when we play Collingwood, North, Geelong, Hawthorn, etc. Man Utd wear clash strips not just against team all or predominantly red (Liverpool & Arsenal), but also against Stoke and Sunderland (Red and white stripes) and you can be just about guaranteed they will when they travel up to Blackpool (tangerine) as well.

The consequence of having a professional sport that relies upon television money is that you make adjustments where it is reasonable to do so. Once that's accepted, the only issue is one of aesthetics. The white one looks okay - I'd never buy it but it's probably more likely to sell than a red with blue yoke jumper. I hated the silver one so pretty much anything is an improvement on that (except black and white stripes obviously.....).

I hope it doesn't. You on the record as saying you cant recognise any clashes of guernseys in even when you see them on B&W TV.

You would have been better off complaining that we clashed with the seagulls at the ground.

I saw two people wearing that abomination of a predominately silver jumper.

The white is miles better than that.

We don't have white in our jumper RR. Plain & simple. And Yes i do stand by what i said about clash jumpers-I Hate them.

But if we have to wear one (one in All in) then our clash jumper should be a simple invert of our Traditional strip.

We don't have white in our jumper RR. Plain & simple. And Yes i do stand by what i said about clash jumpers-I Hate them.

But if we have to wear one (one in All in) then our clash jumper should be a simple invert of our Traditional strip.

Rah rah. Stomp stomp.

Your posts are all thunder signifying nothing.

You dont understand clash guernseys and the inverted jumper would look awful and provide a clash against Carlton because of the existence of the navy blue.

Rah rah. Stomp stomp.

You dont understand clash guernseys and the inverted jumper would look awful and provide a clash against Carlton because of the existence of the navy blue.

Rhino - mate, you tend to be wrong about many things IMHO! Nothing wrong at all with the inverted jumper...even against Carlton because against Carlton we should be wearing the traditional strip....FFS!

Yep, the silver was a disgrace and the white is an insipid, uninspiring alternative.

Rah rah. Stomp stomp.

I do understand the clash jumper Rhino-Do not insult my intelligence.

An inverted Jumper would only clash with carlton if you wanted it too. I am sure the abundant RED would be just fine.

If there was ever a vote you would happily vote for White/silver or whatever. I would vote for the inverted RED & blue jumper as they are the colours of the MFC.

My post's on here signify my opinion RR, thats what Demonland is for.

And i will never be satisfied if we are forced to wear inferior colour schemes.

As was stated above, quite often the clash jumpers are harder to work out than the Trad Jumpers.

Its all marketing-I do understand the origins of the clash jumper i assure you.

Not this again?!

If we were winning noone would give a sh!t. Walls had a go at Carlton's white strip a couple years back but now they are winning he hasn't said a damn thing.

This is people releasing their frustration through anger at side issues. Yeah, we are playing badly but expectations went too high too soon.

Not this again?!

If we were winning noone would give a sh!t. Walls had a go at Carlton's white strip a couple years back but now they are winning he hasn't said a damn thing.

This is people releasing their frustration through anger at side issues. Yeah, we are playing badly but expectations went too high too soon.

Winning or losing never enters my mind when seeing a white Clash Jumper, and i do not consider it a side issue.

You my friend are reacting just the way the AFL want you to...

Well not this Black Sheep. I have my standards.

Rhino - mate, you tend to be wrong about many things IMHO! Nothing wrong at all with the inverted jumper...even against Carlton because against Carlton we should be wearing the traditional strip....FFS!

It was Carlton's home game......

I do understand the clash jumper Rhino-Do not insult my intelligence.

An inverted Jumper would only clash with carlton if you wanted it too. I am sure the abundant RED would be just fine.

While there is navy blue in both jumpers then the scope for a clash

If there was ever a vote you would happily vote for White/silver or whatever.

I didnt need you to prove you dont follow another point of view but thanks anyway

As was stated above, quite often the clash jumpers are harder to work out than the Trad Jumpers.

Not in this case.

Well not this Black Sheep. I have my standards.

Rah rah stomp stomp. I'll huff and I'll puff.... B)