Selection Table

jayceebee31

Newton and Miller I see as basically on par these days.

It might be an indictment on Miller, but if it's a choice between the two, at this stage I'd choose Newton.

As much as I'd rather not have either player in the side, I think Miller has more of a chance of making an impact on Friday night than Newton.

I reckon both Paul Johnson and Miller will return. Hughes remains in the VFL.

Stefan Martin can spend the rest of the year in the VFL for all I care, if Johnson is available to be the back up ruckman. Martin is a non event at the moment and I can't see much upside in him.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact is it isnt and he is working to instruction. You havent worked out that we are able to attack through the corridor once the ball has crossed the centre by creating space in the opposition defence. And we create that space by redirecting the ball across the other side of the ground to spread their defence. We then use fast running and slick use of the ball by hand or foot to further open up those spaces from which our mobile forwards run into the space.

If Grimes just kicks forward he kicks to an area already with a cluster of opposition defenders that will close down movement of the ball and force a turnover through numbers at the contest. I would drop Grimes if he just kicked to a contest because it is a complete waste of the use of the ball. Our plan is more than just bombing down the guts. If we were just trying to do that then the opposition would just populate and drop numbers back in that centre corridor.

By playing Bailey's plan to stretch the defence across the ground and make them accountable for the MFC player with the ball, they are unable to drop numbers back in key zones.

Your tirade against Grimes is soooo misplaced its laughable. Did Bailey maintain a straight face when you ask him about disciplining Grimes?

Seriously R.R -well explained. No Bail's actually said it was a bad kick-did not carry to MacDonald on the full.He also said he has had trouble kicking out when under pressure,sometimes .However, he also said- that you also stated that sometimes a player needs to kick to the side or back to move forward.However, he also stated it is the discretion and decision making that sometimes is the mistake.Grimes- is seriously one of our developing A grade players whom is naturally still learning after playing only 18 games..HOWEVER- I still believe if he continued to make elementary mistakes (and IF it was deemed to be the lack of discipline -he should be dropped).No player is or should be above the team's perspective,being the game plan and trying to perfect it.Tough but true--similar to your job as a Mod..

So you'd include Miller in that case?

I'm not sure we'd win with a mobile forward line bereft of talls, save for Bate and maybe Dunn.

I understand the need to win the midfield, but we also need to capitalize on that by kicking goals.

Fwiw I think Newton performed that role admirably against the Crows.

I dont see that Newton adds anything more than Miller. And if you want a player to make a contest and bring the ball to ground then Miller does that better than Newton.

We have just beaten Brisbane without Newton. I am not sure what Newton did that was so good against Adelaide. IMO he confirmed that he really does not impact a game. Newton does not hurt the opposition on the scoreboard.

Poor decision making is not even close to the same thing as being undisciplined.

Every player in every team in every game is guilty of making a poor decision throughout the course of a match. It's not because they're "undisciplined".

Agree with that. JCB...Inner Demon has nailed it.

That is the issue with Grimes. And its individual instances against a total game where the majority of his efforts reflect good decision making under pressure, a cool head, good balance in traffic and effective disposal. Its not a lack of discipline at all.

I dont see that Newton adds anything more than Miller. And if you want a player to make a contest and bring the ball to ground then Miller does that better than Newton.

We have just beaten Brisbane without Newton. I am not sure what Newton did that was so good against Adelaide. IMO he confirmed that he really does not impact a game. Newton does not hurt the opposition on the scoreboard.

Agree with that. JCB...Inner Demon has nailed it.

That is the issue with Grimes. And its individual instances against a total game where the majority of his efforts reflect good decision making under pressure, a cool head, good balance in traffic and effective disposal. Its not a lack of discipline at all.

We differ with our opinions- Is that allowed??

I always find it fascinating when posters use the "are we not allowed to have different opinions" argument in response to another poster having a different opinion.

It's not as if the post was deleted.

(Not necessarily aimed at you jayceebee, I've been guilty of saying the same thing. Just a general observation.)

Edited by Keyser Söze

You want one of the top 3 tap ruckmen of the season so far to be our permanent full forward?????

Why?!?!?

Becuase he is the biggest mark in our team.

Johnson is more mobile as a ruckman, gathers more possesions around the ground and is generally more constructive with his possesions.

Unlike certain people, I do not believe that Jamar's game against Carlton, ehen he kicked 5 goals was a fluke.

If he can take 2 big grabs up forward per game, 2 marks on the lead and throw his weight around in pack situations, aswell as relieving Johnson in the ruck, I believe he will best serve our club.

And HT,I think you should come to training.You may learn a little from wht Bailey is trying to implement-- re the match against the Lions.Go forward- go through the guts-- not backwards which Grimes stuffed up on many occassions.And at 36 years of age-I'd say I have watched twice as much as you, coached for more than 20 years- stick to being a moderator and not tell other posters what to do.

Drop a player on one performance. Grimes is a star.

Not sure about Martin!

I always find it fascinating when posters use the "are we not allowed to have different opinions" argument in response to another poster having a different opinion.

It's not as if the post was deleted.

(Not necessarily aimed at you jayceebee, I've been guilty of saying the same thing. Just a general observation.)

Bruce omitted Petterd injured

Bring in Jordie Mckenzie and Bail

We differ with our opinions- Is that allowed??

Can't see where Bartram sits in our team structure - especially with Dunn in the same side.

Martin will never be a forward - might still be a decent backman - I doubt that Watts will learn anything playing down at Casey. If Bailey thinks he going to find form down at VFL level, he has rocks in his head. He doesn't even get the opportunity to play in the forward line will Miller and Juice taking up space.

Perhaps he is going to play on the wing.

Watts is a better prospect than Martin - he gets to play seniors and does nothing.

with pettard gone we need to create a mismatch in the forward line somehow...bringing in johnson might do this because of his height. he has been known to kick goals.

johnson was in the best last week for casey,,,at the very little they should replace spencer with johnson on the emergency this weekend.

i would be confident with johnson playing second ruck for jamar too.

with pettard gone we need to create a mismatch in the forward line somehow...bringing in johnson might do this because of his height. he has been known to kick goals.

PJ has kicked 17 goals in 61 games. He has kicked more than one goal in a game...once. In that match, he kicked 2.

He has not been known to kick goals and height does not equal marking ability. A few on here need to realise that point. Bringing in a tall will not mean that we will be able to bomb it long and the tall will mark it, especially with Morris and Lake in the backline.

PJ has kicked 17 goals in 61 games. He has kicked more than one goal in a game...once. In that match, he kicked 2.

He has not been known to kick goals and height does not equal marking ability. A few on here need to realise that point. Bringing in a tall will not mean that we will be able to bomb it long and the tall will mark it, especially with Morris and Lake in the backline.

PJ kicked a ripper against Geelong two years back. He is not a forward -

PJ kicked a ripper against Geelong two years back. He is not a forward -

in another thread "Who do you think should replace Pettard in the forward line this weekend? "

he's currently coming second most popular person to replace petard...seems other people think he's more a forward than u think.....

in another thread "Who do you think should replace Pettard in the forward line this weekend? "

he's currently coming second most popular person to replace petard...seems other people think he's more a forward than u think.....

Did you notice that he's coming second to a guy who isn't even on our Senior list?

What does that tell you about his aspirations as a forward?

Dan,I accept your points verbatim.However, I was saying or trying to say is- IF he continued kicking backwards and this was against the game plan - he should be moved forward(which I believe he would be better placed in the team - such as midfielder/ ruck rover-interchanging with McKenzie) or if he stayed in his current role and was again undisciplined then for disciplinary reasons- MAY need to go back to Casey to be seen as setting the example. This is my explanation- because the game against Brisbane we moved the ball through the guts with aplomb --against North we kicked backwards ,kicked into the man on the mark several times, didn't run through the centre, kicked backwards -many times because we could not cope with the pressure..We should have gone through the guts as per our game plan and placed pressure on North..All I have done is picked out Grimes as a player as an example of what I was saying.. and I stick to what I have said.

OK. So what you're saying is if he does that again, he "may" need to be dropped?

Nope. Not buying it. It takes half a year of mediocre performances (with no sign of an attempt to change) for a 30+ possession winner to be dropped. I won't post here what I did in my reply to your PM...

But naaah Jay. Can't go with you on this one. I won't be cold like others and tell you it's nonsense, mostly because you're a polite operator. But seriously, Grimes won't, shouldn't be dropped or even disciplined. At most, he should be educated or informed of his mistakes.

As for the whole team going through the guts. I think you'll find they did when the Roos slackened off. It's not good to kick to the corridor when there's a 3 on 1. What if it fails, as your instinct tells you it will? He'd REALLY get reamed then.

For goodness sake, isn't he about 12 years old? How many games has he played? Other players have been doing this for years. 100+ game players have games like this.

Did you notice that he's coming second to a guy who isn't even on our Senior list?

What does that tell you about his aspirations as a forward?

my original post suggested johnson should be added as emergency...at the very least. to replace spencer.

i agree our forward line is f%$#'d...to put it simply

i'm not a mind reader but i'm guessing people are voting for hughes because they don't want to see miller come into the side...

Oh yes, if he's coming second in a poll there then that definitely confirms that he's a decent forward.

Let's just forget about the times when he's actually been played there...