Brent Moloney

furious d

Beamer has been on fire these past few weeks. We've heard about his off field leadership the last few years but he's really backing it up on the ground this year. His last 2 games have been as good as I've seen from him in red and blue, he's been absolutely fantastic.

The challenge now is to maintain it for the rest of the year. I remember posting the same thing about Aaron Davey about this time last year and he is now on the verge of "elite." I'm not sure that Beamer can work his way to that elite catergory but if he can keep up this form he could be a genuine A-grader.

I know Beamer has some big fans around here, and has been mentioned as a possible captain. I didn't really see it until this year but I'm very happy to admit I might have underrated him. I've always loved his passion but more and more I'm loving his football.

Well done so far Beamer and good luck for the rest of the year.

Beamer has been on fire these past few weeks. We've heard about his off field leadership the last few years but he's really backing it up on the ground this year. His last 2 games have been as good as I've seen from him in red and blue, he's been absolutely fantastic.

The challenge now is to maintain it for the rest of the year. I remember posting the same thing about Aaron Davey about this time last year and he is now on the verge of "elite." I'm not sure that Beamer can work his way to that elite catergory but if he can keep up this form he could be a genuine A-grader.

I know Beamer has some big fans around here, and has been mentioned as a possible captain. I didn't really see it until this year but I'm very happy to admit I might have underrated him. I've always loved his passion but more and more I'm loving his football.

Well done so far Beamer and good luck for the rest of the year.

Yeah, I was one of those who said that, if he could have a good, injury-free year, he would be my choice as next Captain, once the Junior is ready to hand over the mantle. I'm absolutely thrilled he has been a big part of the resurgence of the team. No doubt, he is too! He is absolutely passionate for the Red & Blue, and to see him burst through the packs like a wild bull is inspirational. Definitely leading from the front...!

His kicking skills superb, and his ability to break through packs has been instrumental for Melbourne so far this year.

Agree Clint. His kicking has been a distinct weakness until this year. In the past he mostly bombed it long, and often to a contest, but recently he has been looking for options (long or short) and usually hitting them. I suspect he put in a lot of work on this over the pre season.

Agree Clint. His kicking has been a distinct weakness until this year. In the past he mostly bombed it long, and often to a contest, but recently he has been looking for options (long or short) and usually hitting them. I suspect he put in a lot of work on this over the pre season.

Not true, Moloney has always been a good kick.

Not true, Moloney has always been a good kick.

OK, I'll compromise. He's always been a long kick ...... or alternately, he hasn't always used his good kicking skills to advantage.

Edited by Deeoldfart

Beamer is the perfect example of the impact the arrival of Scullgove has had on the team.

He and Jones are loving the fact that they are no longer required to win the ball all on their own. McKenzie is partly responsible for that too.

Amazing how quality players can make everyone around them that much better!

It just seems to be that Beamer is one of the big voices round the club. If you had to pick someone who truly 'bled red and blue' you'd pick Moloney. He just seems to love this club at a level no one else does (not that no one else loves this club, just that he seems to more).

I wouldn't be averse to him being captain, he's a great role model and leader on-field. I don't know much about his off-field work though, like whether he'd be good in the media, but we've seen McDonald do fantastically with the captaincy without being in the media a lot (unlike Nick Maxwell, who seems to be on TV at least twice a week).

And as for his football, this year has been a cut above any other. Hard running and tackling plus some decent kicking. Maybe he's only now really over his OP.

With Scully & Trengove arrival Beamer & Nate Jones will both become better players. They will all feed off each other.

Any wonder Jamar is Burning??? We Have 4 Guns in the middle now-all working together.

Well done to the coaching & Fitness staff for getting Trengove & Scully ready and Battle hardened so quickly.

Beamer can now be creative-he would be loving it. As would Jonesy-who for mine was BOG last saturday.

Well done to the coaching & Fitness staff for getting Trengove & Scully ready and Battle hardened so quickly.

I'm sure Scully and Trengove's self-motivation had something to do with it. ;)

You probably couldn't ask for two more committed first-year players.

There is definitely a freshness to the team that has been brought on by young players. Scully and Trengove have both been good but the sides improvement has come from the likes on McDonald, Jones, Moloney, Bate, Petterd, Dunn and Jamar and it looks as though just having the fresh faces in the team has rejuvenated the older brigade.

I'm sure Scully and Trengove's self-motivation had something to do with it. ;)

You probably couldn't ask for two more committed first-year players.

You are right-But our coaches deserve credit for fast tracking & enhancing that self motivation.

Lets not Forget Bohdan, our fitness guy-who has copped the odd Beating on Here....Credit where credit is due. B)

This man deserves his credit! Battling OP and other injuries for years now he's finally had a clear run at it and we can see what he can do. Still has a pretty booming kick and is winning heaps of it out of the middle. Keep it up Brent!

Think back to Moloney's first year at the club - 2005 I believe. I think he came 3rd in the B&F, and from there you would have backed him to become the player he has been in 2009 and so far this year. But its a far cry from 06,07,08 where he couldn't get on the park.

Funnily enough, for similar appearing players, their games have improved for almost opposing reasons, although inextricably linked.

Moloney has been playing as a true clearance midfielder and he has been winning a heap of them. He is ranked 4th in the league for clearances and 2nd for 1st possessions. He's using his big body for good, rather than evil! He's tackling really well too inside traffic, which is good because his defensive ability has been a concern of mine.

Jones, on the other hand, has largely been able to play a more outside midfielder role than previously - possibly even because of Moloney's form. He has been doing his best damage as the sort of ultra hard running outside midfielder that is needed. He's cleaning up his ball use and been very effective.

I've noticed Jones is also becoming quite adept at wrong-footing opposing players.

Obviously something that he is able to do now that he is getting the ball in a bit more space.

I've noticed Jones is also becoming quite adept at wrong-footing opposing players.

Obviously something that he is able to do now that he is getting the ball in a bit more space.

I noticed that too and it confused me, because he was often cutting back onto his right foot.

He really needed some continuity in his game to get to this level and playing a full year last year helped. Hopefully the same happens for Rivers.

Noticed the same about Jones. His best footy earlier was outside as he is an endurance runner.

Absolutely love Beama's work at the moment.

I've had the (mis)fortune of wrestling with Beama when we were both drunk one night.

He is a very strong man. Put me to shame.

When he tackles someone I can guarantee it hurts for a week.

edit: In the offseason, I might add.

Edited by Keyser Söze

I must admit, all the talk of Beamer's leadership had up til this last few games seemed like heresay to me. I mean, I believed it, but hadn't a huge amount of footage to back it up. His game, his bustling, verbalising. Every bit the leader we've al been asking/hoping for.