Tiges Team On Sunday

I consider this a bit of a danger game, hope the boys can get themselves up, when you look at the Tiges supporter sites they are talking this game up like a mini grand final for them, and interesting point was that they are talking up that Newman might not play, whilst i dont really rate him that highly they are screaming out for senior leadership on the ground and having their captain missing could really hurt them, heres hoping!

It is their grand final, but their team is incredibly second rate. Their good defenders got suspended by the club, and our back 6 will monster their 'Craig Cameron height' forwards (to borrow an idea from Freak).

Bartram, in good form should quell Cotchin or Deledio - guys completely inept at dominating whilst tagged. James McDonald will lead from the front again and we will tackle the sam hell out of them. Sylvia is back, and we won't be flooded like last week vs Adelaide, so Newton, Ricky and Dunn will have much more space and freedom.

Interested to see Jack Trengove this week, I'd like to see him grab the game by the throat.

Edited by Geddy Lee

I consider this a bit of a danger game, hope the boys can get themselves up, when you look at the Tiges supporter sites they are talking this game up like a mini grand final for them, and interesting point was that they are talking up that Newman might not play, whilst i dont really rate him that highly they are screaming out for senior leadership on the ground and having their captain missing could really hurt them, heres hoping!

Greg Denham on SEN just said that Chris Newman will miss with a hamstring injury. Jordan McMahon won's play as he has hurt his shoulder and Will Thursfeld has a hurt hamstring and won't play.

A bit of talk on the Richmond forums that their team will look something like this.

Obviously will depend if Newman gets up or not but i think even if he's only 70% right he'll play.

B: Newman, Moore, Edwards

HB: Rance, Post, Tambling

C: Martin, Deledio, Cotchin

HF: Taylor, Riewoldt, Astbury

F: Nason, Vickery , Morton

Foll: Simmonds, Jackson, Tuck

I/C: Dea , Webberley, White, Collins

Greg Denham on SEN just said that Chris Newman will miss with a hamstring injury. Jordan McMahon won's play as he has hurt his shoulder and Will Thursfeld has a hurt hamstring and won't play.

That is an astonishing number of outs, in a team that wasn't great anyway. All the more reason to be scared of losing this game.

A bit of talk on the Richmond forums that their team will look something like this.

Obviously will depend if Newman gets up or not but i think even if he's only 70% right he'll play.

B: Newman, Moore, Edwards

HB: Rance, Post, Tambling

C: Martin, Deledio, Cotchin

HF: Taylor, Riewoldt, Astbury

F: Nason, Vickery , Morton

Foll: Simmonds, Jackson, Tuck

What about little Nahas ? I think he is a chance to come in.

any word on how D Grimes is going in reserves?

Nahas n Polak must be a chance

Dylan is going ok in the Coburg 2nds. Not much really expected of him this year. He's still very slight and not at all ready for even VFL seniors yet. Not a bad player and a really nice guy, but I am 100% sure we got the better Grimes. But I look forward to seeing his progress. A long term prospect for the Tiges at the moment.

I expect Nahas and King to come in this week. Whilst they didn't exactly set the world on fire last weekend for Coburg, they were both solid, have AFL experience and are well ahead of guys like Taylor, White, Dea and Astbury. The team posted on the Richmond forum is VERY raw. We would eat that team alive. They do have some quality kids in that list, but they really are kids.

So delete two of Taylor, White, Dea and Astbury and add Nahas and King. And I would also say that Polak is a roughie to make it back for an AFL game (he was taken off the rookie list before round 1). Also not gunning it at Coburg, but could be used to fill the void as a key defender.

Whatever happens, Hardwick is going to have to be very creative this week to fill up the 22 spots, because he wouldn't have been banking on having to call up such raw youngsters at this stage of the year.

Edit: Add Adam Thomson to that list of possible ins.

Edited by pringle

That is an astonishing number of outs, in a team that wasn't great anyway. All the more reason to be scared of losing this game.

A loss this week would be ten times worse than the Hawthorn loss in Round 1.

Edited by Stigga

Is it fair to say that in that the space of only 3 rounds we have seen the very best and worst Melbourne has to offer?

Melbourne at their best - 7 - 10 goals better than Richmond

Melbourne at their worst - Could very easily get rolled by a VFL side!

A loss this week would be ten times worse than the Hawthorn loss in Round 1.

Agree. All the hard work of the past 2 weeks and pre season will all be fairy floss.

And the posts saying "Why did we extend Bailey's contract?" will re emerge.

Its an important game in the context of things. Richmond will come out yelping in the 1st quarter. Its whether they can sustain it over 4 quarters.

Is it fair to say that in that the space of only 3 rounds we have seen the very best and worst Melbourne has to offer?

Melbourne at their best - 7 - 10 goals better than Richmond

Melbourne at their worst - Could very easily get rolled by a VFL side!

Exactly right

If they have their attitude right we will be far too good though. Our backline won't give them a sniff and we should dominate out of the middle... would like to see them restricted to 7 goals for the day max. Obviously our problem is scoring ourselves, we have managed 7,8 and 12 so far, I am hoping for about 15 just through sheer midfield domination creating opportunities and somebody standing up for a bag (cough Juice cough)

B: Newman, Moore, EdwardsHB: Rance, Post, TamblingC: Martin, Deledio, CotchinHF: Taylor, Riewoldt, AstburyF: Nason, Vickery , MortonFoll: Simmonds, Jackson, Tuck

RICHMOND

Ben Griffiths (shoulder) test

Mitch Farmer (leg) test

Chris Newman (hamstring) test

Will Thursfield (leg) test

Nathan Foley (ankle) 3 weeks

I wonder if their pulling a fast one?

RICHMOND

Mitch Farmer (leg) test

Would it really matter?

All of those players would be rusty from lengthy layoffs, just like Col Garland last week.

They've not been playing in he VFL.

In any case, I think subterfuge tends to work in the opposite way.

Alluding to a big name player getting up so the opposition focuses on stopping them, then when said player doesn't take the field the opposition relaxes in spite of it still being 22 men agains 22 men.

A way of deflating the intensity, tricking the other team into underestimating their opponents.

Richmond's disposal under minimal pressure has been woeful this season. So against us it should be hell for them as our tackling and relentless pressure has brought 2 much better teams down to our level.

We MUST continue that to get up.

If we do lose this, it'll be the most disappointing loss in recent memory, I'm not sure I could deal with it.

The levels of intensity and pressure must be kept at the same level of the last two weeks. Our conversion for goal is also important. Fluffing chances and not putting on scoreboard pressure such as the first two quarters against Adeliade may prove disastrous.

RICHMOND

Mitch Farmer (leg) test

That was a Richmond forum posting that that team, not the Richmond FC. So no subterfuge yet. We'll have to wait and see when the real team is announced. I'm sure he'll be in the lineup though and they will give him every chance to play. But even if they did try some "subterfuge" by naming Newman in the side with no intention of playing him, I doubt it would worry Bailey too much. He's not exactly Chris Judd or Gary Ablett and he has very little support around him to make match-ups too difficult to plan.

Edited by pringle