Light at the end of the Tunnel

Roost It

We were outplayed, outcoached and out of our league yesterday. Is it the end of the world. Well no, actually it's the beginning and beginnings are usually painful. Anyone who has watched their partner give birth can attest to this. 3 years ago we were an old, injured side with no shining lights besides maybe Green and Davey. The club was broke, hadn't won a premiership in 40 years and with the introduction of 2 new clubs was, in all honesty, damn close to finished. In steps a new team, promising no quick fixes, telling us that the next few years are going to be painful but they asked for our support and if membership numbers are an indication we gave them our support. FFS our President hasn't quit and he's got cancer. Cameron Schwab knew exactly how hard this job was, so much so that he almost didn't take it. Chris Connolly bleeds for this club. You lot think you're hurting. I'll bet my life none of you are hurting as much as these 3.

The facts remain that bar Green and Davey(who clearly isn't fully fit) our senior players are on par with Richmond's. However our next generation is easily the best of any club's in the league. How old are they? Well 21 or less. How long will it take to get this club back on it's feet on the field. 2 - 3 years minimum, possibly 4. The club has been totally cleaned out. No club has cleaned out it's list to such an extent without having a handful of quality senior players to lead and inspire.

Imagine what Tom Scully thought as he watched senior players duck for cover time and again yesterday, meanwhile he stands in front of a leading Roughhead and backs it up by laying a tackle on Hodge. People bag Strauss for dropping a mark in the goal square. I say where's the senior player to tap him on the shoulder and tell him to let it go and get on with the next play. What about Mckenzie. He stays on the rookie list so we can pick up Joel MacDonald. He must of been wondering what was going on as time and again he laid tackles, chased and harassed whilst MacDonald ran around flaying his arms. Or how about Jack Trengove, with his clean skills and experienced demeanour watching Matthew Bate fully s--t himself when in the clear. Not to mention the efforts of our next captain, Jack Grimes.

You can bet they aren't sitting around on their keyboards whining and whinging. They know the young players around them are good and they also know how satisfying it'll be when they start to push up the ladder. You want to know how I know that this will happen? Because we've recruited a bunch of determined and skilled young men who won't drop their bundle after 1 or 2 bad seasons.

The admin has cleared the debt and got us into new facilities, the young players have arrived. So suck it up and get used to the fact that it's going to be a tough year. But remember, there's light at the end of the tunnel!

Edited by Roost It

People bag Strauss for dropping a mark in the goal square. I say where's the senior player to tap him ob the shoulder and tell him to let it go and get on with the next play.

Agree with your post, except this bit. As mentioned in another thread, MacDonald, Rivers, Warnock they all went to Strauss and told him to keep his chin up after that happened

Agree with your post, except this bit. As mentioned in another thread, MacDonald, Rivers, Warnock they all went to Strauss and told him to keep his chin up after that happened

Apologies, I missed that. I think my head was firmly entrenched in my hands thus obscuring my view!

Good post Roost It.

As DB says we have to get games in to our young players.

At the moment, none of the following have played more than 14 or so and in some cases none at all;

Scully, Trengove, Watts, Blease, Strauss, Gysberts, Tapscot, Jurrah, Fitzpatrick, Gawn, McKenzie, Grimes, Maric

etc etc etc. Then there are plenty more who have plenty of time on their side eg. Morton, Jones, Rivers, Bate, Sylvia, Frawley, Garland, Wonaeamirri, Petterd,

It will be some time before this bunch will be sufficienctly experienced to challenge for top 8 but that's the reality of where we are at.

With our list we should remain optimistic about future but we need far more spirited performances than yesterday which was a complete shemozle. We also need a plan B and C when things don't go our way early. Man on man would be a good start.

It is a LONG tunnel!

Are we digging to China?

I posted that thought 2 months ago- we may have a full list(or nearly) and try to gain patronage and sponsorship from the trip.

We were outplayed, outcoached and out of our league yesterday. Is it the end of the world. Well no, actually it's the beginning and beginnings are usually painful. Anyone who has watched their partner give birth can attest to this. 3 years ago we were an old, injured side with no shining lights besides maybe Green and Davey. The club was broke, hadn't won a premiership in 40 years and with the introduction of 2 new clubs was, in all honesty, damn close to finished. In steps a new team, promising no quick fixes, telling us that the next few years are going to be painful but they asked for our support and if membership numbers are an indication we gave them our support. FFS our President hasn't quit and he's got cancer. Cameron Schwab knew exactly how hard this job was, so much so that he almost didn't take it. Chris Connolly bleeds for this club. You lot think you're hurting. I'll bet my life none of you are hurting as much as these 3.

The facts remain that bar Green and Davey(who clearly isn't fully fit) our senior players are on par with Richmond's. However our next generation is easily the best of any club's in the league. How old are they? Well 21 or less. How long will it take to get this club back on it's feet on the field. 2 - 3 years minimum, possibly 4. The club has been totally cleaned out. No club has cleaned out it's list to such an extent without having a handful of quality senior players to lead and inspire.

Imagine what Tom Scully thought as he watched senior players duck for cover time and again yesterday, meanwhile he stands in front of a leading Roughhead and backs it up by laying a tackle on Hodge. People bag Strauss for dropping a mark in the goal square. I say where's the senior player to tap him on the shoulder and tell him to let it go and get on with the next play. What about Mckenzie. He stays on the rookie list so we can pick up Joel MacDonald. He must of been wondering what was going on as time and again he laid tackles, chased and harassed whilst MacDonald ran around flaying his arms. Or how about Jack Trengove, with his clean skills and experienced demeanour watching Matthew Bate fully s--t himself when in the clear. Not to mention the efforts of our next captain, Jack Grimes.

You can bet they aren't sitting around on their keyboards whining and whinging. They know the young players around them are good and they also know how satisfying it'll be when they start to push up the ladder. You want to know how I know that this will happen? Because we've recruited a bunch of determined and skilled young men who won't drop their bundle after 1 or 2 bad seasons.

The admin has cleared the debt and got us into new facilities, the young players have arrived. So suck it up and get used to the fact that it's going to be a tough year. But remember, there's light at the end of the tunnel!

Good Post Roost. I just hope those senior players do not ruin the spirit and endevor of those top Draft kids.

Weneed someone to kick to in the goal square!!!

You are right about Bate.

He looked a total spud yesterday - hopeless.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, but only just. He has been injured and was probably a week or two off being ready for a match. But, jeez, his delivery was execrable and he couldn't mark the ball at all.

Scully is fantastic. Trengove all class. Grimes very solid and would look a champion in a good team. McKenzie has guts and even Strauss did a few nice things. Bennell can be exciting but is probably too loose for defence. The only young one I have doubts about is Spencer - just not sure if he has 'it'.

These are incapable of improvement in my opinion - Jones, Bruce, Junior, Moloney, Miller, Dunn. Green is the only older player who has a clue and he got a bad knock. And Jamar - he can ruck and take a mark, and kicks OK. Davey is good but not 100%.

Good Post Roost. I just hope those senior players do not ruin the spirit and endevor of those top Draft kids.

Weneed someone to kick to in the goal square!!!

Brad Green

Good post.. Its not as though most of us have much choice but to live through it anyway.. I can put up with the losses as long as I can see some development and I think that will come in the 2nd half of the year...

I saw enough to keep me going.

Scully and Trengove were in our top 5 on Saturday. 23 and 20 possessions, respectively. Not bad for a couple of debutants.

Bennell sprinting away from four Hawks off the half back, kicking to Moloney(?) who set up Jordie Mckenzie for a great running goal. It's little things like that I keep an eye out for.

And Brad Green should be played forward for the rest of the year, absolutely no doubt about it.