Warnock

e25

Truly, though, the three are good.

I'd have Gibbs in front of Murphy though.

Let's just hope that Watts, Scully and Trengove (technically not a 1 but whatever) turn out to be as good as those three. Carlton would be so much worse without them.

It's heartening to see that it only took 3-4 years for their 3 no.1's to emerge as top line players.

By 2012/13 our young guns will be doing it too.

Edited by Spirit of Barassi

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's heartening to see that it only took 3-4 years for their 3 no.1's to emerge as top line players.

By 2012/13 our young guns will be doing it too.

Yep plus we have Morton, later picks in Grimes and Jurrah (whom I credit as an honorary top5 draft ND pick 'wink') ... then of course Tapscott, Gysberts, Blease and Strauss

during the whole tanking debate some people were arguing that high picks aren't worth it because the whole thing is a raffle anyway

ask Brett Ratten what he thinks about that

OK then... tell us all about our current circumstances... tell us all how you, as an AFL footballer, would rather be involved with the MFC, drive to Cranbourne all pre-season to a facility without a gym, come back to Melbourne to do your weights session, making sure it fits in with other professional sporing clubs schedule so that you can become a grand final winning team...

Or would you rather join Carlton, drive a few minutes down the road to a cushy 20 milllion dollar facility of your own, with large photographic tributes to players from your own club staring over you... who have graced the hallowed playing fields of the AFL/VFL for the last century... Oh no, our unfinished shared 'home' at the Olympic Park precinct and as yet unfinished 'home' at Casey Fields are much better... in fact, so good that we are already looking at a new Docklands 'home' for the future... because we have the best facilities in the state...

Not saying I'm 100% right. In fact would love to be proven wrong... But please give us a bit more than your assertion that I have given a "Shocking misrepresentation of our circumstances grounded in no informed knowledge of the true state of affairs." Happy to be proven incorrect if you have the inside scoop an Inner Demon would have.

I'm just not yet convinced that we have solved the problem of our biggest disadvantage to training and recruiting. I have personally seen the facilities at carlton, Collingwood and Western Bulldogs. I have also seen Richmond's facilities. We are paupers compared to the first three clubs. We are on par with the Tigers. We are at the same end of the ladder as the Tigers. We are not at the same end of the ladder as the Dogs, Blues and Pies. Discuss...

A question for all......

Why could we not have redeveloped the Junction oval with Governement money in the same way as the Cats redeveloped Skilled Stadium, Bulldogs Whitten Oval, North Arden Street, Dons Windy Hill, Hawks Waverley, Tigers Punt Road. I know the facilities at Junction Oval were shocking, but no worse than Tigers, North or Bulldogs facilities before renovation. The other advantage of Junction oval is that it is right in the middle of one of the most lively social areas of Melbourne, and therefore perfect for an trendy (and money making) social club and even lease out part of the facility for an upmarket restaurant. This seems to me a lot better than a fragmented facilities, one in inner melbourne, difficult to park, and to get to, and no substantial social club you can call your own, a so called social club in Bentleigh, and training facilities in Casey which is way out of town. Casey to me will not do it. You either go out there whole-heartedly (like the hawks did at Waverley), or you find a facility which you can call your own.

I'd be interested in others comments.

In terms of the Junction Oval, I dont think it was ever ours, it has always been shared with cricket clubs, so I am not sure if we would ever have been allowed to do anything there. I would hope they looked into it anyway.

And Natanui over Kruezer I dont think so. Natanui can jump and goes hard at the ball but his skills are average at best. Kruezer on the other hand is an oversized midfielder, it is as if they have 5 mids when he is rucking. Just look at the play last night where he had 3 touches and ran the field to eventually get a free in the FP. How many ruckman have ever been ableto do that?

A question for all......

Why could we not have redeveloped the Junction oval with Governement money in the same way as the Cats redeveloped Skilled Stadium, Bulldogs Whitten Oval, North Arden Street, Dons Windy Hill, Hawks Waverley, Tigers Punt Road. I know the facilities at Junction Oval were shocking, but no worse than Tigers, North or Bulldogs facilities before renovation. The other advantage of Junction oval is that it is right in the middle of one of the most lively social areas of Melbourne, and therefore perfect for an trendy (and money making) social club and even lease out part of the facility for an upmarket restaurant. This seems to me a lot better than a fragmented facilities, one in inner melbourne, difficult to park, and to get to, and no substantial social club you can call your own, a so called social club in Bentleigh, and training facilities in Casey which is way out of town. Casey to me will not do it. You either go out there whole-heartedly (like the hawks did at Waverley), or you find a facility which you can call your own.

I'd be interested in others comments.

As far as i know we were just a rental Tennant of the junction oval, correct me if i am wrong, but i am sure the club would have thought long and hard about buying out the junction. My guess it was not for sale.

It was also not the best place to get new membership. St.kilda Heartland down there i assure you-i live around the corner.

Edited by why you little

As far as i know we were just a rental Tennant of the junction oval, correct me if i am wrong, but i am sure the club would have thought long and hard about buying out the junction. My guess it was not for sale.

It was also not the best place to get new membership. St.kilda Heartland down there i assure you-i live around the corner.

We are just a tenant. It is administered by the Albert Park Trust or whatever the new name is and is crown land. Not for sale.

Yep plus we have Morton, later picks in Grimes and Jurrah (whom I credit as an honorary top5 draft ND pick 'wink') ... then of course Tapscott, Gysberts, Blease and Strauss

during the whole tanking debate some people were arguing that high picks aren't worth it because the whole thing is a raffle anyway

ask Brett Ratten what he thinks about that

During the Collingwood match on Seven TWO this morning, I noticed a comment by Leigh Matthews on Travis Johnstone (the only player from that game still playing in the AFL today) that was interesting. Leigh said, after a much more cleanly-shaven Trav kicked a nice goal, something along the lines of "well, he was taken with the first overall pick in the Draft last year, so obviously he's rated as the best player available in the country," as if that was actually something that would be news to people. This just suggests to me that in the twelve years since, the Draft - and the entire competition's focus upon it - has absolutely sky-rocketed.

Nowadays, every man and his dog knows about the Draft and who was taken when. In fact, there is almost this link between players not taken when people thought they should have been and the players that were taken instead (Judd/Hodge, Tambling/Franklin, Watts/Naitanui, to name a few) that I can guarantee wouldn't have meant a thing back in the late '90s. So I'm sure that this disparity between '98 and 2010 is also present, to a lesser degree, between '06 and now.