• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Our forward line structure

DeeVoted

I'd swap LJ and Wona around personally. I think the more room you give Jurrah the better, while Wona's fitness isn't really good enough to be pushing up the ground.

Couldn't agree more about LJ. I made a post in another thread about this. He will be crowded out by big defenders who are now going to watch him like a hawk, and without more room to move he'll get nowhere. He ought to be played on the flank, where he has the speed and ground skills to 'play small' as well as drift in for a speccy.

Green MUST play FF - he only has to get the ball a handful of times each match and he'll kick 3 goals - and I'd put Miller in the pocket. There's a lot of Miller-slag floating around this thread; but he CAN get the ball or at least get hands on it in the pocket. He's not lacking in the physique department or endeavour; it's his fabulously inept kicking that sets him apart. I used to think 40 metres was his limit, but I now think that 25 is about it for accuracy, and even then it's heart in mouth stuff.

Any idea of moving Jamar to a forward post except when resting should be dropped; he's our only class tap ruckman, and he IS amongst the best.

Martin's a defender, if anything at all.

Fitzpatrick's a stick insect at this stage.

Gawn will be something when he gets over his injury, but we may not see him play seniors until next year.

Until Watts is in there - and he must go into CHF asap after he's shown something, maybe elsewhere in the foward line - Dunn is worth trying at CHF. The rest of the positions can go to whatever combinations of Bate, Peterd, Wona, Maric, Jetta are not injured, with Davey and Sylvia thrown in as possibles if not required in the mid-field. Trying to work out just who are the best of this lot is a waste of time as my bet is that half of them will normally be injured anyway. I also remember Bruce being an elusive forward early in his career, but he'll probably play off the HB flank.

Another thing that might be worth a try when things are getting ugly after a few rounds is Rivers at CHF. The worst thing about the forward line is its stale, predictable look (of mediocrity). Let's face it, without Jurrah finding the ball, Peterd is the only live-wire at the moment. Rearranging the deck chairs must not be allowed to happen for weeks on end; something radical has to be tried.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our forward structure has really been the cause of our destruction over the last few years. Recruitment staff should have seen it comming along way off. Mind you, Smith turned out to be a dud, Molan had two dodgy knees and Daniher couldn't get enough of the likes of Pickett, Hefferman and so on.

I am not sure who our forwards will be apart from Jurrah and Bate and Watts if he is ready.

There is no big body players that can fill a key position.

Unfortunately, you have accurately summed up the position we are in.

Absolutely. Anyone who was there on Saturday would've seen that the lack of a proper forwardline structure cost us dearly. We punished the Bombers through the middle but they were too good for us in their backline.

Just on Miller, personally I thought he played his best footy a couple of years ago when he was throwing the body around a bit more. He then got suspended a couple of times and this seemed to put him on the back foot and he stopped using his size as much. He seemed to be holding back for fear of further suspensions. When this edge to his game dropped off, the rest of his game kind of plateaued and he has just hasn't seemed to kick on from a few years back and if anything may have gone a touch backwards.

I do want him in the team, but playing as the lead up forward, taking it around the wing, then either giving off the handball to the midfielders coming past or just turning and kicking long to Jurrah, even if the ball is just in his area you would back him to be able to beat his opponent, thereby taking Millers poor disposal out of the equation. Jurrah then kicks the goal or gives it off. All this happens until Watts turns into the strong CHF we probably dream he could be.

Football is such an easy game on paper!

Just on Miller, personally I thought he played his best footy a couple of years ago when he was throwing the body around a bit more. He then got suspended a couple of times and this seemed to put him on the back foot and he stopped using his size as much. He seemed to be holding back for fear of further suspensions. When this edge to his game dropped off, the rest of his game kind of plateaued and he has just hasn't seemed to kick on from a few years back and if anything may have gone a touch backwards.

I couldnt agree more on the above statement.He wouldnt have been told to curtail his agression.He wasnt any good to anyone ,sitting in the stands. I think Daniher would have told him to be hard,and cut out the silly stuff.It seemed afterwards he was 'lost'.

I do want him in the team, but playing as the lead up forward, taking it around the wing, then either giving off the handball to the midfielders coming past

This seems to be the way he likes to play. He should be playing with the Doggies,where as they have 1/2 backs-midfielders running forward, When he gets the ball his 1st

instinct is to give it off.Thats all well and good,Where he lets himself down,is that ,,most times it isnt the best option. THAT frustrates the $#%@ ouuta me no end.

Any good he had done earlier or later is lost on me cause I had seen him mark within range,then gives it off, I can see what he is trying to do,bring others into the game.

BUT he isnt going to solve our problem. GOAl kickers.

I'll give him his due tho, he gives 2000%

WE do need someone not prepared to take any crap from the opposition.

PS I am over the Robbo,btw. But as I said on the opening I just wanted to guage how many thought it was worthwhile

Yes - No will do, then your suggestions on forwards.

Robbo was a proven goalkicker,with experience...

bingo, he would have been great up there with Bate, Jurrah, Miller & Wonna and co.

Considering he was our leading goal kicker last year.... and he missed a few games. WTF??

Edited by Sturmmann

Read your own post moron. I said you can't fault Miller's effort and you replied that I must be joking.

So when it comes to questioning his efforts you said it.

So the your defence for Miller? He has a go. I'll type it again YOU MUST BE JOKING you need more than just that to play at AFL level. GET IT? I doubt it, it's like replying to Rhino.

So the your defence for Miller? He has a go. I'll type it again YOU MUST BE JOKING you need more than just that to play at AFL level. GET IT? I doubt it, it's like replying to Rhino.

Tell me which big man on our list are we going to replace him with. Please don't waste my time talking about small forward lines being great. That kind of dribble won't wash. The fact remains he's the only player on our list who resembles a key forward. The likes of Bate, Sylvia and Petterd simply don't have the height. Jurrah is still learning, Watts is too raw. that leaves, you guessed it, Miller who gives his all in every contest.

I do want him in the team, but playing as the lead up forward, taking it around the wing, then either giving off the handball to the midfielders coming past or just turning and kicking long to Jurrah, even if the ball is just in his area you would back him to be able to beat his opponent, thereby taking Millers poor disposal out of the equation. Jurrah then kicks the goal or gives it off. All this happens until Watts turns into the strong CHF we probably dream he could be.

yes I agree, but when you think about miller, he is a third forward at best, when Nita and robbo where at their best he was a good third tall, now that they are gone, he can’t be your best forward, because he can’t find it enough in the F50, he needs space up the ground, where he can use his hard running, most CHB can’t keep up with him and his motor.

yes I agree, but when you think about miller he is a third forward at best, when Nita and robbo where at their best he was a good third tall, now that they are gone, he can’t be your best forward, because he can’t find it enough in the F50, he needs space up the ground, where he can use his hard running, most CHB can’t keep up with him and his motor