A HISTORY OF THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB

Demonland

A HISTORY OF THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB:

PART SIX: A NEW DEALby The Professor

The rigours of the Great Depression caused enormous pain and suffering in a world which had experienced a decade of prosperity after the First World War. Football was one pastime that was still within the reach of many but the Melbourne fans were clamouring for changes. Ironically, the changes came as a result of the introduction of two Richmond stalwarts. History was about to repeat itself in 1933.

Melbourne's fortunes had been turned around years earlier with the appointment of former Tiger Andrew Manzie as club secretary. The club hierarchy was able to repeat this by convincing Percy Page to transfer from Richmond to take the secretarial post. Page brought with him F.V. Checker Hughes who was appointed coach for the 1933 season. Checker had played in two premierships at Richmond and later coached them after a stint in Tasmania. Together Page and Hughes set about changing Melbourne's lilywhite image from "Fuschias" to "Demons".

In 1934 the club showed significant improvement to finish in sixth position as some famous Melbourne names such as Alan La Fontaine, Jack Mueller and Maurie Gibb made their V.F.L. debut. The further inclusion of Norm Smith, Ron Baggott, Ray Wartman and Wally Lock allowed the club to move back into the finals for third placings in 1936 and 1937 and after being strong contenders for a few seasons, Melbourne finally won their third flag in 1939. In that year, Alby Rodda, Roy Dowsing, Adrian Dullard, Shane McGrath, Harold Ball and Syd Anderson all made outstanding debuts for the club. The latter two were killed in the Second World War, as was

Keith "Bluey" Truscott, who made a brief return to the club as its captain shortly prior to his death in an accident off the West Australian coast. The Grand Final win was a sweet one. The stars of the day Percy Beames and Alby Rodda who booted four goals each as the Demons drew away from arch rivals Collingwood after an even first half to win by 53 points.

RESULTS - GRAND FINAL 1939

Melbourne 3.5.23 10.10.70 15.14.104 21.22.148

Collingwood 6.5.41 10.6.66 13.9.87 14.11.95

Goals Beames Rodda 4 L Jones Ball Mueller Truscott 2 Baggott La Fontaine Smith Wartman

Best Roberts Beames Anderson Wartman Truscott Smith

THE TEAM

B Emselle Mueller Fischer

HB Hingston G Jones Roberts

C Wartman La Fontaine Anderson

HF L Jones Baggott Truscott

F Ball Smith Rodda

R Furness Kimberley Beames

19 O'Keffe

Melbourne recorded its second successive premiership with a 49 point victory over Richmond despite losing players to injury before the grand final. One of the team's heroes was ruckman O'Keefe who shadowed Richmond captain Jack Dyer all day and somewhat limited his effectiveness. Norm Smith booted a record goal tally of seven for a grand final in a dominant performance at full forward. The 19th man in the 1940 premiership team was Ron Barassi - yet another football to be later killed in action. Barassi's son Ron Barassi Jr. was to become "Mr. Football" in the 1950's and 60's and was selected captain of the Demon's team of the 20th Century.

RESULTS - GRAND FINAL 1940

Melbourne 4.8.32 10.11.71 13.15.93 15.17.107

Richmond 6.5.41 10.6.66 5.4.34 10.8.68

Goals Smith 7 Baggott Beames O'Keefe Fanning Truscott

Best Baggott Beames La Fontaine Mueller Ball Smith

THE TEAM

B Emselle Roberts Ball

HB Hingston G Jones McLean

C Wartman La Fontaine Anderson

HF Gibb Baggott Truscott

F Fanning Smith Rodda

R Mueller O'Keefe Beames

19 Barassi

Melbourne's domination of the competition continued in 1941 as the team made it a hat trick of grand old flags with a comfortable 29 point win over Essendon. Despite fielding a depleted side the Demons overcame hot weather and a blustery north wind as they bade farewell to coach Checker Hughes with an emphatic premiership victory. The team opened up with all guns blazing as they blitzed the Bombers to lead by 57 points at half time and then coasted to victory. Hughes' full forward Norm Smith, who was later to take over the coaching reins at the club in an even more successful era, topped the goal kicking for the year with 89 goals. Hughes was to return as coach twice again. Ironically, his last appearance in the role came many years later in 1965 when he replaced Smith who was sacked for one week in mid-season.

RESULTS - GRAND FINAL 1941

Melbourne 6.6.42 11.9.75 14.11.95 19.13.127

Essendon 1.1.7 2.6.18 6.12.48 13.20.98

Goals Beames 6 Mueller Smith 3 Wartman 2 Anderson Daly Dullard Gibb O'Keefe

Best Lock Heal Mueller Beames Dullard La Fontaine

THE TEAM

B Emselle, McGrath O'Keefe

HB Lock E Cordner McLean

C Heal La Fontaine Anderson

HF Gibb Baggott Wartman

F Dullard Smith Daly

R Don Cordner Mueller Beames

19 Lewis

I should read this to my 2 girls at bed time as a reminder that there were once grand times for our club and there will soon be again

I hope young Tom Scully reads it as well. The part about Ron Barassi Snr playing in the 1940 premiership was of interest to me. Fast forward a decade and a half and all of a sudden his son's playing in a Melbourne premiership side. Both wore the number 31 that Tom's now inherited!

Brings a tear to my eye.

I listened to my grandfathers stories of the GRAND old flag in the 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s. I still listen to my fathers GRAND stories from the late 50s and 60s........ This is what it is all about.

I have never seen a premiership myself as a 37yo. I am not a greedy man..... (not yet at least in football terms)... I just want to see one premiership so as I am able to forward these wonderful stories, these detailed emotions, the euphoria, to my kids (first due March 3..... male) and grand kids (........... if I am as lucky...... so help me god).

Today, I have hope again for the MFC.

I genuinely feel our new team can bring the premiership back to the MFC and MCC in coming years. I feel we are on the right track.

However, I will not lie........... this is far from the first time I have felt this way................. only to be left in despair.

So come our new demon soldiers, reclaim our glory, put your names in our history books for all us MFC/MCC lovers to adore and love forever.

GOD BLESS THE MFC, AND ALL THOSE WHO PLAY OR SUPPORT IT.

ITS A GRAND, GRAND OLD FLAG

Edited by Grand New Flag

Brings a tear to my eye.

I listened to my grandfathers stories of the GRAND old flag in the 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s. I still listen to my fathers GRAND stories from the late 50s and 60s........ This is what it is all about.

I have never seen a premiership myself as a 37yo. I am not a greedy man..... (not yet at least in football terms)... I just want to see one premiership so as I am able to forward these wonderful stories, these detailed emotions, the euphoria, to my kids (first due March 3..... male) and grand kids (........... if I am as lucky...... so help me god).

I genuinely feel our new team can bring the premiership back to the MFC and MCC in coming years. I feel we are on the right track.

However, I will not lie........... this is far from the first time I have felt this way................. only to be left in despair.

So come our new demon soldiers, reclaim our glory, put your names in our history books for all us MFC/MCC lovers to adore and love forever.

Nice one- I am 46 and have heard all the stories from my Dad, & yes i want to pass on my love of the Demons as well.

It's going to happen.

Brings a tear to my eye.

.................................. I still listen to my fathers GRAND stories from the late 50s and 60s........ This is what it is all about.

Seems like I am around your father's vintage GNF, and I can re-live those marvellous memories of the 50s and 60s as if they were yesterday. I have kids around your age, who like you, are passionate Demons fans, and have never seen a premiership, but your / their day will come in the next 5 or 6 years, as sure as our colours remain red & blue!

Again like you, I have periodically felt that we were headed for glory in the last 40 odd years, only to have my hopes dashed like waves on a rocky shore ......... but this time is different, this time the feeling is palpable. We are approaching the dawn of a new era at the Melbourne Football Club.