Who's in for a big year

Rocknroll

Oh dear god.

Seriously, can we try to stick to the topic of football and not trading insults?

Not that I'm above it, my track record is deplorable, but this is ridiculous.

How many threads do you want to hijack?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon Maric. Has the pace and skills. Should feel more at home this year and could well be the breakout man.

Agree with Dunny. I rate him and unlike the poster above I think he has real mongrel in him. He showed lots in some of his tagging roles this year. Also has great endurance.

And Frawley will become our rock of Gibralter. Will tame the gorillas and become unpassable. Possibly step up to the elite class.

Based off this thread Maric to become the next Newton. Burdened by unjustified expectations and attacked when he does not meet those standards

I hope Maric, like I hope with all Dees players makes it big time. If he does not then I equally hope that bile is not poured his way from the collective Demonland bloggers who are [censored] because they held onto him as a great hope and he failed to deliver.

Everyone who has talked him up, make sure if he does not succeed as gloriously as you hope that you do not turn on him like people on footy sites have a tendency to do. Good luck Maric, I hope you become star and I think you have a good chance of succeeding. Go Dees

Based off this thread Maric to become the next Newton. Burdened by unjustified expectations and attacked when he does not meet those standards

I hope Maric, like I hope with all Dees players makes it big time. If he does not then I equally hope that bile is not poured his way from the collective Demonland bloggers who are [censored] because they held onto him as a great hope and he failed to deliver.

Everyone who has talked him up, make sure if he does not succeed as gloriously as you hope that you do not turn on him like people on footy sites have a tendency to do. Good luck Maric, I hope you become star and I think you have a good chance of succeeding. Go Dees

green machine, I think you're being a little unfair on D'land posters with respect to Maric in this thread. Of post #'s 17,25,26,37,41 & 44 that only refer to Maric in this thread, where are the examples of "burdened by unjustified expectations" ?

There is a difference between hope and expectation. I hope he makes it and fulfils his potential, but I don't expect it. Footy teaches you some hard lessons about life. I remember watching Leigh Newton play a game (I think against North from memory) and I thought, gee, how good is the kid going to be. Injury cut down Juice and unfortunately we never saw his true worth. But that's just footy.

Edited by iv'a worn smith

There is a difference between hope and expectation.

I hope he makes it and fulfils his potential, but I don't expect it.

Correct. That is how I read the majority of posts referring to Maric. All it is hoping he takes another step; plays majority of games, etc. If he doesn't, we hope that he can work harder to be a part of the 22 on a regular basis. It's all positive as far as I can tell.

The exciting thing is when you look at our list and there should be improvement almost everywhere. There are probably only 4 known quantities in our best 22. Flash, Green, Bruce and Junior have all shown us what they are capable of, the rest all have improvement in them.

This to me is the key point. The potential upside across the team is so huge that if everyone with "improvement in them" improves by 10% of their potential upside, it will translate into a big improvement across the team overall. It also creates the climate which makes it more likely for potential stars to really excel.

There are so many possibilities, especially among our recent top-20 draft picks, you'd have to think that the most unlikely scenario would be that none of them makes a major impact. If, say, one in 5 of out of those with the potential to really rip it apart manages to actually do it, then maybe 3 or 4 are set for a great season.

Which are the most likely? I'd go with the quality & look at our top 5 draft picks - Sylvia, Morton, Watts, Scully, Trengove, and of course Jurrah. I can't see any reason why either Scully or Trengove (or both) couldn't do as well in 2010 as Rich or Ziebell did in 2009.

But the reason I think we're not far off being a really good side is sheer weight of numbers - there are just so many possibilities on our list, meaning that we can afford for several to fail.

• 7 months later...

Thought I would revisit this tread from earlier in the year.

on the money were Furious D with Jamar.......nice work

Yenks pulled out a nice pick in McKenzie

and roost it is almost Nostradamus with some of his calls. Hats off to you.

Break out year in would have to Jamar, Scully/Trenners, Ricky bobby (before injury), McKenzie, Bennell (in patches), Chip.....anyone else?