• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

2010 AFL Ladder Predictions 2010

Bruce Almighty

No worries Batman of course it is your opinion but Pears last year was in the same position as Watts is this year, drafted bottom age the year before. He played very well at FB beating Brown and Fev along the way and not having a bag kicked on him at all. You have to think how happy you would be if Watts held down a bookend this year.

As we relyed on young players last year there will be a natural improvement at Essendon. On top of that Hille, McVeigh and Welsh are all fit after injuries ruined their last year. We do have a toughish draw, which I'm very happy about because that is good for development, so an improvement in us could lead to the same amount of wins through the year which wont make finals this time. Watch we are relatively injury free for the first time since 2000!

If i was an essendon supporter, id be most happy at getting a chance to see what gumbleton is made of, high draft pick, very talented. Will be interesting

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you guys are being unrealistic with our position on the ladder -Here is what I think:

Bulldogs

Collingwood

Geelong

St Kilda

Adelaide

Brisbane

Hawthorn

Swans

Kangaroos

West Coast

Carlton

Port Adelaide

Fremantle

Essendon

Melbourne

Richmond

Edited by jayceebee31

If i was an essendon supporter, id be most happy at getting a chance to see what gumbleton is made of, high draft pick, very talented. Will be interesting

Seeing we didn't make the same effort to tank bottom out like you guys and Carl$cum it is a big blow if our highest draft pick for over a decade never gets his body right. Not to mention a personal tragedy for the man himself.

Everyone needs to remember he has played 5 senior, and probably not much more in VFL, games over the last 3 years. It will take him a long time to find form let alone confidence in his body.

The only thing that makes up for the troubles with Gumbleton (and the decision to passover Rioli) is that we were lucky to get the best player of 2008 draft from the 5th pick. Which is almost up there with Geelong getting the best pick at pick 7 two years prior to that.

Seeing we didn't make the same effort to tank bottom out like you guys and Carl$cum

What would you prefer we did? Be mediocre like richmond for the next 10 years and then be relocated by the AFL or takes some pain and then have a real crack?

My Heart bleeds that Essendon hasn't had a decent recruit in 10 years!!

My Heart bleeds that Essendon hasn't had a decent recruit in 10 years!!

Hurley, Ryder and Watson are pretty handy players. But besides that they haven't got much else.

Hurley, Ryder and Watson are pretty handy players. But besides that they haven't got much else.

On top of thatDempsey, Davey, Pears, Hooker, Monfries, Zaharakis, Winderlich, Prismall, Melksham, Myers ect are all going to be at least decent AFL players. Dempsey, Pears and Winderlich are all on the verge of being stars. No need to bleed your heart for us. Languishing as low as you, Carlton, Richmond and even St Kilda have hasn't lead to a premiership for any of you. Hawthorn got lucky with bizarre choices by Richmond and that their rolling zone covered the fact that they have nothing down back.

Geelong built their list without doing that. I see Essendon and Carlton now as the same as Geelong and St Kilda 6 years ago. Tanking brings an awful stink to your footy department that a few stars can't rid.

That said you guys haven't stuffed up your 3rd and 4th choices like Carlton did and you clearly will have a super midfield and I think that your backline's potential is underated my most outside of your club. Watts will be a lead up forward and Jurrah will provide the magic but who is going to be your power forward? The guy that you kick long to when your mids are running out of options and even if he doesn't mark it you know the opposition will have less then 5% chance of marking it. We have Hurley and our side will be built around that, despite some idiots who barrack for Essendon who think that just because he was a two time AA u18 FB he should play FB.

The problem is that you have less then 5 years to jag one before GC and GWS dominate the league for 5 - 10 years. That might not be enough time to sort out your team and game plan.

Edited by fishardansin

Geelong built their list without doing that. I see Essendon and Carlton now as the same as Geelong and St Kilda 6 years ago. Tanking brings an awful stink to your footy department that a few stars can't rid.

You have inside information do you? I cannot smell anything & considering where this club was on & off the field 2-3 years ago i am very proud of what Jimma & his board are doing.

Nothing worse than a smug essendon supporter who just keeps going on & on.

On top of thatDempsey, Davey, Pears, Hooker, Monfries, Zaharakis, Winderlich, Prismall, Melksham, Myers ect are all going to be at least decent AFL players. Dempsey, Pears and Winderlich are all on the verge of being stars. No need to bleed your heart for us. Languishing as low as you, Carlton, Richmond and even St Kilda have hasn't lead to a premiership for any of you. Hawthorn got lucky with bizarre choices by Richmond and that their rolling zone covered the fact that they have nothing down back.

That said you guys haven't stuffed up your 3rd and 4th choices like Carlton did and you clearly will have a super midfield and I think that your backline's potential is underated my most outside of your club. Watts will be a lead up forward and Jurrah will provide the magic but who is going to be your power forward? The guy that you kick long to when your mids are running out of options and even if he doesn't mark it you know the opposition will have less then 5% chance of marking it. We have Hurley and our side will be built around that, despite some idiots who barrack for Essendon who think that just because he was a two time AA u18 FB he should play FB.

The problem is that you have less then 5 years to jag one before GC and GWS dominate the league for 5 - 10 years. That might not be enough time to sort out your team and game plan.

Isn't every developing team in the same boat? I Melbourne has that problem, then so will Essendon. And this "you need a mountain at full-forward or you'll suck forever" isn't true at all.

Isn't every developing team in the same boat? I Melbourne has that problem, then so will Essendon. And this "you need a mountain at full-forward or you'll suck forever" isn't true at all.

I hope that Essendon hits its straps in 2011. You are right regards man mountain but I fear, and I could be wrong, that the two new teams will be complete teams. The like of which perhaps only Brisbane 01 - 04 was. You guys are building a very good side, particularly mids and defenders. Your forward line has potential too. Obviously Watts is a standout and Jurrah is the reason I show interest in Melbourne. One power forward coming through would see you guys in 3 or 4 years close to a complete side, in my opinion.

I see us as a few years advanced, in a rebuild, of you guys but I'm sure that in a few years time we'll have some ding dong battles.

Like I said I came here originally because of my family interest in Jurrah and I don't mean to troll. I was just commenting on what some of you guys say regards natural improvement on younger players and were giving off the impression that your younger guys were the only ones that will. That goes for all younger teams: Essendon, Carlton, West Coast, North, Freo, Richmond and Melbourne. For what it is worth I think both of our teams will improve. But like I've said to some Essendon supporters that doesn't mean more wins necessarily. It could just translate into being competitive for longer periods in each game and hardly ever getting a pantsing.

What excites me about Essendon's prospects this year is that the natural improvement of youngsters will occur but we also have come out of the pre-season with no injuries to our experienced players. First time since 2000 probably.

As far as Melbourne is concerned it would be great for you guys to get games in Watts either at VFL or AFL, but for my sake I'd like to see him in AFL. I went to that practice match at Princess Park and was very impressed with Scully and Trengove. Grimes had a blinder too. Also Jamar beat 3 good ruckmen practically on his own. Obviously with a longish injury list you guys will find it difficult this season but that could end up being good for you further down the track.

I hope that Essendon hits its straps in 2011. You are right regards man mountain but I fear, and I could be wrong, that the two new teams will be complete teams. The like of which perhaps only Brisbane 01 - 04 was. You guys are building a very good side, particularly mids and defenders. Your forward line has potential too. Obviously Watts is a standout and Jurrah is the reason I show interest in Melbourne. One power forward coming through would see you guys in 3 or 4 years close to a complete side, in my opinion.

I see us as a few years advanced, in a rebuild, of you guys but I'm sure that in a few years time we'll have some ding dong battles.

Like I said I came here originally because of my family interest in Jurrah and I don't mean to troll. I was just commenting on what some of you guys say regards natural improvement on younger players and were giving off the impression that your younger guys were the only ones that will. That goes for all younger teams: Essendon, Carlton, West Coast, North, Freo, Richmond and Melbourne. For what it is worth I think both of our teams will improve. But like I've said to some Essendon supporters that doesn't mean more wins necessarily. It could just translate into being competitive for longer periods in each game and hardly ever getting a pantsing.

What excites me about Essendon's prospects this year is that the natural improvement of youngsters will occur but we also have come out of the pre-season with no injuries to our experienced players. First time since 2000 probably.

As far as Melbourne is concerned it would be great for you guys to get games in Watts either at VFL or AFL, but for my sake I'd like to see him in AFL. I went to that practice match at Princess Park and was very impressed with Scully and Trengove. Grimes had a blinder too. Also Jamar beat 3 good ruckmen practically on his own. Obviously with a longish injury list you guys will find it difficult this season but that could end up being good for you further down the track.

Fair enough Fish, it's all about wait & see isn't it, but i can never be excited by essendon...it is just not on!!

Fair enough Fish, it's all about wait & see isn't it, but i can never be excited by essendon...it is just not on!!

I'm just as one eyed as anyone but I hate everything about Carlton and Collingwood. So I don't feel the same resentment to any other clubs. But I really hate the current Hawthorn team and coach, except Rioli who is still an Essendon supporter! And I hated seeing Brisbane getting flags through all those concessions. Particularly seeing Essendon had built up a team just as good but had to lay off many players due to salary cap and changes to the veterans rule. I also hate the way an ex Essendon legend in Harvey was encouraging Essendon players to walk so he could pick them up in pre-season draft, Lovett and McPhee. You know that he offered Aaron Davey $200k more if he walked that way which would have totally stiffed you guys. I'm not sad to see stop-and-prop McPhee go but a pick in the 30s could have got us Allen Christensen. Harvey should be investigated for those activities, our clubs should have complained together.

I'm just as one eyed as anyone but I hate everything about Carlton and Collingwood. So I don't feel the same resentment to any other clubs. But I really hate the current Hawthorn team and coach, except Rioli who is still an Essendon supporter! And I hated seeing Brisbane getting flags through all those concessions. Particularly seeing Essendon had built up a team just as good but had to lay off many players due to salary cap and changes to the veterans rule. I also hate the way an ex Essendon legend in Harvey was encouraging Essendon players to walk so he could pick them up in pre-season draft, Lovett and McPhee. You know that he offered Aaron Davey $200k more if he walked that way which would have totally stiffed you guys. I'm not sad to see stop-and-prop McPhee go but a pick in the 30s could have got us Allen Christensen. Harvey should be investigated for those activities, our clubs should have complained together.

Lets be Honest, the AFL are hanging the Victorian clubs out to dry. Those that survive will make it,those that cannot pay the Bills will die. 18 teams is not a workable amount.

Having been to most GF's since 1970 i actually hate all clubs except the MFC basically cause i have seen so many other clubs win a flag except my own, and now with these 2 new sides its going to be even harder-so i am just glad that a new board came in when they did, because we were a basket case 3 years ago.

Only Demetrio has any idea how much western sydney is going to cost us all

At least Essendon have a decent stadium deal!! You bastards make $$ at the airport regardless of who is playing!! Good luck to you by the way.

Having re-united with the MCC we have at least given ourselves a chance.

The next 2-3 years will be crucial for Melbourne.... :)

going by the pre season, I have a feeling they will still be bottom four. Prior to pre season I would have said 9-10. I love the Dees but I can wait a few years for the young kids to play more games together and become a force in the AFL.

Edited by Sturmmann

Lets be Honest, the AFL are hanging the Victorian clubs out to dry. Those that survive will make it,those that cannot pay the Bills will die. 18 teams is not a workable amount.

Having been to most GF's since 1970 i actually hate all clubs except the MFC basically cause i have seen so many other clubs win a flag except my own, and now with these 2 new sides its going to be even harder-so i am just glad that a new board came in when they did, because we were a basket case 3 years ago.

Only Demetrio has any idea how much western sydney is going to cost us all

At least Essendon have a decent stadium deal!! You bastards make $$ at the airport regardless of who is playing!! Good luck to you by the way.

Having re-united with the MCC we have at least given ourselves a chance.

The next 2-3 years will be crucial for Melbourne.... :)

You are right regards the next 2 years. While GC and GWS will pick the eyes out of the next two drafts there will still be some players for you if you finish low. It is pretty obvious your footy department is putting a lot of thought into the development of your youngins. It is just that you never can tell how they come on. We got Gumbleton at pick 2 and has been said to be the best CHF in the draft since Reiwolt. He's played 5 games. The next year we got a tallish kid at pick 50+. That was Hooker he is now going to be our CHB. Go figure!

What is with some people picking Adelaide in the top 2? I think someone started it and now it is a cool trend?

I work with mad crow suppoters every day and they don't even think top 4.

in 2011 the crows will be closer to the bottom, have a look at there list they have three player 33 years old this year goodwin is 33 andrew Mclode is 33 tyson is 33 all three player will not be playing next year, also they have about 5 player aged between 27 and 31 they are old man and the next two draft wont help them, they are in for a big fall next year.Once player pass 33 they can became no good over night, one day you are a superstar the next you cant get the pill. if we dont make 8 in 2011 Dean will not be in charge in 2012

Of that list, only davey, monfries, zaharakis and winderlich are decent players

If you think pears is on the verge of stardom, as previously said in another post, you are dreaming.

He still has a long way to go

Disagree. Pears is very good.

what number is he? i shall watch him this year-i am out of touch with essendon numbers right now as their side has changed so much.

and i do find it hard to watch the bombers for long periods of time!!

Plays FB/CHB, and does a good job too. Likes to peel off and attack when Essendon has the ball. Gave Fevola a towelling last year, amongst others.

J Brown was amongst those others. He never got toweled up himself. The great Gary Lyon thought that he should have got the rising star last year as unlike Rich he wasn't running free untagged in the middle he was playing on the oppositions bookend every week after round 2. Lyon went on to complain that the award is biased towards mids and that his complaining will probably lead to Hurley winning it this year, unless the charges he faces tarnish him too much.

Dont forget we got Pears bottom age too so he still only turns 20 this coming Wednesday.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/team/player.asp?id=118

Plays FB/CHB, and does a good job too. Likes to peel off and attack when Essendon has the ball. Gave Fevola a towelling last year, amongst others.

Thanks for that, i will keep a close eye on him, essendon look so different since sheeds left.

I hope that Essendon hits its straps in 2011. You are right regards man mountain but I fear, and I could be wrong, that the two new teams will be complete teams. The like of which perhaps only Brisbane 01 - 04 was.

Incorrect, A club needs to raid more than 1 draft to field a complete team. If they get a dud group such as 03 then they'll be average. if they get 08 they'll be great but it'll still take until 2016 - 2018. By then Melbourne will have won 3 premierships in a row and will give GC the mother of all hidings to win number 4. As for GWS Sheedy will make the mother of allmistakes with this team and set it's development back 10 years. I for one will enjoy watching this,

Edited by Roost It