The Anthony Morabito thread

DemonDan...

Can't believe people aren't crying out for this guy!

Did we check out the TAC footage? There's some WAFL games there as well. He was pushing BOG in one of them.

Seriously, this guy is matching it with men. He's 17, 190cms and 90 KGS Already!!

He has a powerful burst of speed, as we've seen, is a good kick and mark and some of his handballs were as quick and clean as Scullys! No doubt. He is a big boy and likes to use his strength.

He reminds me of Peter Matera on steroids and taller. This guy is way ahead of Trengove at the moment and Scully in a lot of ways too., the WA factor shouldn't come into it with recent WA duo Jetta and Bennell and other 'interstaters' (don't know if that's a word ;) ) to make him feel welcome.

I should note, one thing i don't know is, how he gets on with teammates/is he a butthole? for eg.

BTW- I had last years draft like this:

1. Nik Nat

2. Rich

3. Blease

4. Watts

5. Hill (so I can be off although time might say otherwise)

This year, I'm going:-

1. Scully

2. Morobito (first two to the Dees - surely we won't beat the Saints)

3. Trengove

4. Talia

5. Butcher

QUOTE (DemonDan... @ Aug 29 2009, 02:33 AM)

This guy is way ahead of Trengove at the moment and Scully in a lot of ways too.

I agree with just about everything you say except the above.

They are all very different types of players and Morabito is not ahead of Trengove who is also making his mark against men.

I'd be happy with either Trengove or Morabito. I probably just lean to Trengove for the following reasons: reliability, hardness, and leadership qualities.

Those that question Morabito's kicking really over state it and don't appreciate the qualities that he does have. I reckon he'll be a star.

Last year I predicted

1. Watts (correct)

2. Nik Nat (correct)

3. Rich (ended up being Hill)

4. Hartlett (correct)

5. Hurley (correct)

6. Ziebell (ended up being Yarran)

7. Yarran (ended up being Rich!)

8. Vickery (corrrect)

9. Robinson (Was way off! Ended up being Ziebell)

10. Hill (ended up being Davis)

This year I'm thinking

1. Scully (Melbourne)

2. Trengove (Melbourne)

3. Moore (Richmond) *Trust me Richmond will stuff this up! ;)

4. Morabito (Fremantle)

5. Butcher (North Melbourne)

6. Lucas (West Coast)

7. Rohan (Sydney)

8. Talia (Essendon)

9. Tapscott (Port Adelaide)

10. Cunnington (Hawthorn)

I have been following this kid for a while. Has an incredible build but in my opinion is raw and lacks polish. With that said could be a champion but I prefer others including Dustin Martin from Castlemaine as well as Scully and Trengove.

Sorry to sound picky but its Morabito... :rolleyes:

I haven't seen much of him, but he looks a bit too raw, like dee-tox said. I think Freo or WC will take him, he would love playing on Subiaco

my predicted top 5 ATM:

1. Melb - Scully

2. Melb - Butcher

3. Rich - Trengove

4. Frem - Morabito

5. North - Rohan

Edited by Stop: Jurrahtime

How did this turn into a phantom draft thread? There is already one of the these

Morabito looks a monty to be Adam Goodes MkII

Line-ball decision between him and Trengove and the Dees may go for Moz based on his incredible upside.

Those that think Butcher is part of the equation are either ill-informed or they think MFC's recruiting department are inept.

Originally when I touted him for the 2nd pick months ago I did question his kicking, but it wasn't a huge concern for me, more a case of: 'his kicking is above average, for a pick 2 I want his kicking to be elite'.

I think its getting to the point where Cunnington is coming into the discussion too, but he is firmly on the fringe.

Edited by Enforcer25

In this article from The West Australian Trio named in Freo squad it says the Dockers want to draft teenage WAFL star Anthony Morabito but the Demons are "reported to be keen on Victorian midfielder Tom Scully and Morabito should they get the first two draft picks".

I don't know what to feel about this because I think there are a number of gun mids in this years draft. What does everyone think?

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

We'd be mad not to consider any of the best 6 or 7 for the second pick, plus draft day is 3 months away. A lot can happen between now and then.

In this article from The West Australian Trio named in Freo squad it says the Dockers want to draft teenage WAFL star Anthony Morabito but the Demons are "reported to be keen on Victorian midfielder Tom Scully and Morabito should they get the first two draft picks".

I don't know what to feel about this because I think there are a number of gun mids in this years draft. What does everyone think?

They'd be conducting due diligence in regards to sounding out all prospective top 5 picks to see which one they take.

You may recall Melbourne spent a bit of time in contact with Natanui before last year's draft ...

Morabito a big big chance to go pick 2 though, bigger chance than Butcher.

How do you figure that, you say? Well cos he's a better player. Simple.

1) There's a drafting and trading board for these threads

2) If the draft was held today, Trengove would most likely be our pick 2. But as Rojik said, in 3 months who know what may happen. But atm, I think Trengove is in front of Morabito.

the last time i checked the draft and trading board does not work, has this changed or is it just my pc

WA Draft camp invitees:

Travis Colyer, Nat Fyfe, Gerrick Weedon, Nicholas Winmar (Claremont), Lewis Jetta (Swan Districts), Mark Hutchings, Mitch Duncan (East Perth), Anthony Morabito, Aaron Black (Peel), Josh Donaldson, Anthony Delborello (West Perth), Kane Lucas, Brad Sheppard (East Fremantle).

WA Draft camp invitees:

Travis Colyer, Nat Fyfe, Gerrick Weedon, Nicholas Winmar (Claremont), Lewis Jetta (Swan Districts), Mark Hutchings, Mitch Duncan (East Perth), Anthony Morabito, Aaron Black (Peel), Josh Donaldson, Anthony Delborello (West Perth), Kane Lucas, Brad Sheppard (East Fremantle).

Just watching Lewis Jetta in the WAFL now..

Gees he reminds me of Nev Jetta!! Needs to get into it more tho..

Edited by DemonDan...

His draft camp stats, something I don't place a huge amount of emphasis, is where we might see a change in the second pick. He's very quick, fit, and kind of muscly for a kid his age. The whole Italian thing had people saying Kouta, though that's probably a bit silly really.

I wouldn't mind him at the club, even over Trengove. Like many though, his kicking has me nervous. Moreso because everyone on our list can't kick. We have no room for another mediocre deliverer.

I have it Scully >>>> Trengove, Morabito, Rohan >>>>> Lucas >>>> Butcher. So any of those first four would be good.

How did this turn into a phantom draft thread? There is already one of the these

Morabito looks a monty to be Adam Goodes MkII

Line-ball decision between him and Trengove and the Dees may go for Moz based on his incredible upside.

Those that think Butcher is part of the equation are either ill-informed or they think MFC's recruiting department are inept.

Originally when I touted him for the 2nd pick months ago I did question his kicking, but it wasn't a huge concern for me, more a case of: 'his kicking is above average, for a pick 2 I want his kicking to be elite'.

I think its getting to the point where Cunnington is coming into the discussion too, but he is firmly on the fringe.

Yeah, IMO he has the most 'x - factor' in this years draft.

http://www.footballnation.com.au/the-afl-d...thony-morabito/

Not bad for only 6 games..

A couple of seasons with kicking coaches and with natural progression, he may get to that Elite level..

RE: Scullys kicking is definately not elite at pick 1! So there's a certain element of risk-even with the most certain pick.

Edited by DemonDan...

If we go for best available, we pick Scully and Trengove. If we go for best midfielder and tall forward, we pick Scully and Butcher. I really don't see how Morabito comes into consideration?

I rate Morabito the equal of Trengove.

Have you seen either play ?

I rate Morabito the equal of Trengove.

Have you seen either play ?

Morabito is nowhere near Trengove. His ability to hit targets is questionable at best, he's selfish, and finally he is nowhere near as hard at it as Trengove. We don't need any flashy hit and miss players with our number two selection thankyou very much. I want a no frills surefire gun. Scully > Trengove > Daylight > Rest of U/18 midfielders. That's just my opinion of course :rolleyes: