Melbourne Merchandise- Part 2

Jaded No More

Hello all,

Thanks again for everyone who took part in the initial survey, it was very helpful to kick start the collection.

Over the past few days I've put together the basic specs for the garments that were voted most popular by you and I'm posting them here to get some input once again.

Before you view and comment, please keep the following in mind:

1- At this stage the specs are just that; flat, boring colourless drawings (kind of like how the next 5 games are going to be). Colours, graphics and logos will be arriving shortly

2- I kept most of the garments very simple for a couple of reasons. Firstly to keep the costs down. Keep in mind that every extra detail and pattern piece, adds significant costs to every garment. Secondly, I've chosen classic shapes as opposed to trend-based ones, because it would be a financial disaster if the club had to re-cut shapes each season, or worse, was left with redundant stock. Since the stock turn for this type of merchandise isn't huge, it's important to keep the pieces basic, where designs (rather than garment shapes) can be altered and fixed cyclically.

3- Most of the items are made using the same basic block (or shape if you will). Again this is done for financial reasons, as the less blocks you use during production, the less you spend on patterns and cutting. All good things to keep costs low and margins high.

4- Both the male and female outerwear pieces have removable hoods, while the male zipped hoodie is reversible

Each item has a code, so if you want to comment about a particular piece, note down the item code so that I can follow.

Any comments would be great, especially in terms of shapes and trims that you may want to see (e.g.- pockets).

Again I'll leave this thread open for a short(ish) period of time, before locking it and moving onto the colours and graphics.

Outwear.jpg

MaleHoodies.jpg

MaleTops.jpgMaleJumper.jpg

MaleTops2.jpg

FemaleTops.jpg

FemaleHoodies-1.jpg

Headwear.jpg

Happy criticizing :D

Edit: OK so the image website I usually use was down before. I've now switched all the images so they should work. Please let me know if you still can't view them. My apologies!

Can't get the images, even clicking on them and redirecting to imageshack and I just get a red cross.

Hmmm, I can see them fine...

Use this link: http://profile.imageshack.us/user/mfccollections/images

(This is as far as my tech knowledge extends, so lets hope it works :wacko::unsure: )

Hello all,

Thanks again for everyone who took part in the initial survey, it was very helpful to kick start the collection.

Over the past few days I've put together the basic specs for the garments that were voted most popular by you and I'm posting them here to get some input once again.

Before you view and comment, please keep the following in mind:

1- At this stage the specs are just that; flat, boring colourless drawings (kind of like how the next 5 games are going to be). Colours, graphics and logos will be arriving shortly

2- I kept most of the garments very simple for a couple of reasons. Firstly to keep the costs down. Keep in mind that every extra detail and pattern piece, adds significant costs to every garment. Secondly, I've chosen classic shapes as opposed to trend-based ones, because it would be a financial disaster if the club had to re-cut shapes each season, or worse, was left with redundant stock. Since the stock turn for this type of merchandise isn't huge, it's important to keep the pieces basic, where designs (rather than garment shapes) can be altered and fixed cyclically.

3- Most of the items are made using the same basic block (or shape if you will). Again this is done for financial reasons, as the less blocks you use during production, the less you spend on patterns and cutting. All good things to keep costs low and margins high.

4- Both the male and female outerwear pieces have removable hoods, while the male zipped hoodie is reversible

Each item has a code, so if you want to comment about a particular piece, note down the item code so that I can follow.

Any comments would be great, especially in terms of shapes and trims that you may want to see (e.g.- pockets).

Again I'll leave this thread open for a short(ish) period of time, before locking it and moving onto the colours and graphics. Happy criticizing :D

Thanks Jaded, great work. All Pics are fine for me @ 5.50 pm.

Not really what you're doing, but do you think there needs to be a decent female guernsey? Or is it not overly important? I always wondered if there could be different cuts etc. that girls may like more.

OK so I've switched the image host and uploaded the pictures again.

Please let me know if it's working now!

Not really what you're doing, but do you think there needs to be a decent female guernsey? Or is it not overly important? I always wondered if there could be different cuts etc. that girls may like more.

The collection is geared at casual wear, lifestyle fashion if you will.

A female jumper is not a bad idea, but that's something Reebok should be doing, since they do all of our performance wear.

I'm not gonna go down the road of performance apparel because the club has a sponsorship deal tied up in that, and there is no way I would want to do anything that would [censored] our sponsors off.

The hoodies and men's jacket look like the have elastic at the bottom. Am sure some people like them that way but not my cup of tea.

I see what you're saying.

The elastic at the bottom gives the garment better strength and better dimensional stability, but I'm happy to get rid of it and go for a looser fit.

Is anyone else anti elasticated waists?

I don't like elastic waist (I even cut one off my old Dees jacket because it would ride up).

My question was more aimed at weather or not women would like to wear a guernsey with a different cut in your opinion.

I don't like elastic waist (I even cut one off my old Dees jacket because it would ride up).

My question was more aimed at weather or not women would like to wear a guernsey with a different cut in your opinion.

Ok, the elastic waist goes.

To be honest I wouldn't wear a guernsey no matter how it was cut, but then I don't wear any Melbourne apparel to games apart from my scarf and I think that guernsies by nature are ugly and masculine and look ordinary on women.

If you were going to make it flattering and appealing to women, you'd have to radically change it, in which case it probably won't really be classified as a guernsey anymore. Also, since they are made from 100% polyester, it would be pretty hard to put shape into them, since darts would pucker.

Someone like Reebok is unlikely to invest in that sort of item because it won't generate a large enough sale volume.

Just to give you an example, last year after the Hawks won their flag, their apparel sponsor put out a special premiership guernsey, at substantial costs (they wanted to rush production which made it even more expensive). They did that because they forecasted huge sales figures. They ended up selling around 12,000 units, which is more than I'd say Melbourne sells in a four year period.

So while there are millions of possibilities here, you gotta look at financial viability first and foremost.

In I.E the image boxes come up with the red crosses.

Just tried with firefox, and i don't get any images at all. I'm not the most tech-savvy, so this is just frustrating and confusing. LOL

Ahhh, oh well... I guess i'm just gonna have to go to sleep and hope that everything works fine tomorrow! Or i could check em out on my break at uni. Will get back to ya then. Thanks though.

Is the shape of the singlets on those specs representative of how they'll actually be? The guys' one looks like one of those hideous American sleeveless t-shirts, and the shape of the womens' is really motherly. Is there any chance they'll actually be more, for want of a better word, singlet-y!?

Like you, I wear no merchandise other than a scarf to the footy, and can't really see myself wearing much Melbourne themed casual wear, except for the singlets. When they were mentioned I had in mind something like the Singha/Red Bull singlets that everyone comes back from Thailand with (Red Bull Singlet). In varying combinations of red/navy/white/grey, with the old school MFC logo on them. They're the most comfy thing to chuck on over bikinis in summer or to wear to bed, and I know pretty much all my guy mates live in Singha singlets over summer.

Is the shape of the singlets on those specs representative of how they'll actually be? The guys' one looks like one of those hideous American sleeveless t-shirts, and the shape of the womens' is really motherly. Is there any chance they'll actually be more, for want of a better word, singlet-y!?

The singlet shapes are fine by me. They look more like a Bonds version imho.