Robbo at the crossroads

beelzebub

but the sheer hatred towards him this season seems in poor taste.

There has been none of that. Too much melodrama

Hopefully all the guys who hang up the boots at season's end will get the send off they deserve, regardless of their recent form.

As they should.

He's never been able to earn my respect and this year has been the final straw. He's been a good player, but he's not part of our future plans and therefore, why continue to play him? He's only list clogging really.

Harsh. He would only be list clogging if we re contracted him we wont.

He has had a good career at MFC. The game has changed and Robbo has struggled with it since 2006. Time to move on.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is amazing how little comment in this post in regard to the other older players. Much of what has been stated on Robbo equally applies to Wheels and Junior & fact he is captain has definitely been a factor. In the case of Junior his effectiveness in the midfield has diminished this year and will further next year as slight slowing of pace means gets caught or less effective disposals more often.

With Wheels its a case of the body starting to fail after all the years of going in hard regardless.

Of the above 4 I think Wheater is the one with the most value for 2010 as he is capable of long and accurate kicking out of defence which means Aaron can be further up field to move it into attack.

So if hard calls are to made on a few let them have farewell game possibly agains Freo (provided that MFC does not win a game before then or otherwise in Rnd 22.

farewell game to be round 22, cant be too carefull, Flash is too valuabe in the middle of the ground, with Aussie back alongside Jurrah ,Watts and another tall , we will have a potent forward line. i have said all year we havent had a crumbing forward and have been scoffed at. with supposed influx of highly skilled and quick mids at the draft Jones might be playing a lot for Casey next year

Whether or not Robbo is with us next year, I think he has given us plenty over his career and we should lay off. It pisses me off the way we turn on our players after their form wanes.

Me to, i read alot more than i post.

Im a robbo fan his given as a lot to be excited by and has ben a grat forward to say the least.

Love you robbo proud to have watched you. All the best!

Hatred ?? thats a tad over the top.

Seems observations and commentary ( espicaily ina forum ..go figure ) are taboo unless theyare sweetened with honey by the sycophants !!

Ultimately the rise or fall, the adulation or derision of any player is effectively up to thatplayer themselves. You play well..youre viewed well you play porly you wil be called to task.

I am always amused as to how these professionals are afforded such a different litmus to any of us. Just because they play for a team ? They live an especial existence as they ply their trade of choice. They are hansomely rewarded, sometimes warranted probably more often border line. If it we you or I going about our day to days and returned as sporadically as many footballers do then we wouldnt be in our jobs long. They live a priveledged exitence and with that comes the magnifying glass scrutiny.

Robbo has has a pretty good career to date at Melbourne. I think its fair to say that had he been in a more successful team then his waxing and waning at times would not have been accepted. But its been melbourne during a fairly non successful period for the most and at times I think he's definitley got the better of teh bargain.

If he feels he's up to it and sees no future at Deeland and wants to continue elsewhere then good luck mate .. hope it goes well for you.

I hate no players. I can however detest the pitiful returns some give at times. Amnot directing this at Robbo but simply describing my posiitonas I see things.

As the thread started, Robbo is indeed at the cross-roads. If he goes hopefully a decent and appropriate send of is given

Robbo has has a pretty good career to date at Melbourne.

For a rookie pick up, he has had a magnificent career and is one of the better small forwards of the past decade.

Hatred may have been too strong a word, but there is definitely a lot of contempt shown towards someone who has given us nothing but good service over the years. He, along with Whelan, Junior and Wheatley all deserve to go out on a good note.

Abc commentary going to town on robbo, and rightfully so. Saying that he clearly doesn't want to be out there. Rhys jones saying he needs to pull his finger out.

He's certainly doing all the right things to not get senior sellection. Not chasing, not helping out team mates on a 2 on 1 situation. It's dissapointing to watch to be honest.

After watching the first qaurter of casey id like to apologise for disagreeing or arguing against the fact that robbo doesnt chase and the deffensive work and attitude.

Robbo has been my favorite player all through my childhood but after seeing what he did in that first quarter im quiet dissapointed and if he is going to keep this up i dont want to see him in the red and blue any more its just not exceptable.

This isnt easy for me to say,

Thanks for the memorys mate as there has been plenty.

All the best for future endeavor as if that attitude is kept up you will not be apart of the exciting red and blue.

Whether or not Robbo is with us next year, I think he has given us plenty over his career and we should lay off. It pisses me off the way we turn on our players after their form wanes.

Its not about form in my eyes. Even if he were to kick 6 goals I'd still call for his head.

Its his attitude, his demeanor and once again his consistently weak efforts. Sometimes he puts in, but it doesn't take long for him to drop off again.

I expect more of a senior player.

If you don't agree with what I'm saying I hope you've been watching his game for Casey today.

The petulant brat should be playing for his career and he's pouting instead. The only thing that to me would make sense for this sort of reaction, is if he has already had the tap on the shoulder & knows for sure what is coming.

About time.

Sorry Robbo, but I want ultimate success and for that I demand something more than you can provide.

All the best.

Edited by Enforcer25

I have a strange feeling that Robbo already knows what is looming at the end of this season....

Youth is pushing him aside.....

Unfortunate that he ruptured the achilles last season, which has robbed him of a pre-season....

But I feel he may have been told he is not a high priority for re-signing....

Robbo looks like a player who knows he's finished, that there's not much he can do to change that, and he's playing accordingly...

In that case, wouldn't you just pull the pin, instead of pouting and putting in another weak performance?

And if he wants to play on to audition for a spot on another list, THIS is how he goes about it..?

I just don't quite understand where he's coming from.

I think the crux of the matter is that he still doesn't understand what is expected of him, or rather, that he's having a hard time accepting and coming to terms with the fact that the performances he has turned out in the past are no longer deemed acceptable.

And rightly so.

Never been a Robbo fan but there`s no doubt he`s done some good things and has even won the odd game for the club. Whilst it must be his last year, i would like to see the club and supporters show him the respect he deserves in his last couple of months. I`m sick of players leaving this club on bad terms or with the shits, it`s not good for MFC. He has always loved the club and it`d be sad to see that change.

Never been a Robbo fan but there`s no doubt he`s done some good things and has even won the odd game for the club. Whilst it must be his last year, i would like to see the club and supporters show him the respect he deserves in his last couple of months. I`m sick of players leaving this club on bad terms or with the shits, it`s not good for MFC. He has always loved the club and it`d be sad to see that change.

I want Robbo to get some respect too, but he has to deserve.

So far I respect his skills.

He can take a big mark.

He's better at playing guitar than I am.

Thats where it ends.

Robbo was a disgrace in the first half today and not all that great in the second, he needs to decide if he wants to continue playing football any more. He was completely disinterested and showed a total lack of respect for his team mates today.

Bad day to be a forward, in his defence.

Firstly you have to want to be out on the ground to play well. Second you have to at least put in an effort to play well, and thirdly Ben Waite who played along side him kicked 4 goals, I doubt Robbo had 4 possessions for the day.

Whilst it must be his last year, i would like to see the club and supporters show him the respect he deserves in his last couple of months. I`m sick of players leaving this club on bad terms or with the shits, it`s not good for MFC. He has always loved the club and it`d be sad to see that change.

Agree. He didn't play well today, but he was out there in freezing conditions with a bunch of Casey kids who didn't provide one pass to him. He is probably playing in his last year and has played over 220 games and kicked one less than 400 goals for the red and blue. He has been a very good player being picked up as a Rookie after delisting and has stuck with us. He might even have a couple of sons who follow him one day.

Why does he deserve the bagging? A bad injury and age are probably finishing him off. He ha promoted the club at all times and been a loyal servant. I don't understand the pack bashing mentality of some of our supporters.

I like some others also hope he gets a send off game and retires with good memories of the Dees.

PS. His attitude to Demons fans in non game time has been exemplary.

Edited by Redleg

Actually being at the game today I feel that I am able to add a more informed opinion on Robbo today than some.

Coburg put a big focus on holding Robbo today(much more than Waite), a very strong and swirling wind blew throughout the game and the service he got was almost invariably lofted kicks that gave him little chance of having a big effect. Robbo spent much of the final quarter up from the goals making contests, one of which he almost cost him what would have been a pretty nasty head clash.

There is the whiff of blood in the water around Robbo right now, but starting to write off his desire and bag him unfair on him and what he may still may be able to offer what will still be a very young list next year.

Personally, I've felt this way about Robertson for quite some time, but now that his contract is up and his future is in question his form and attitude become pertinent.

But, I think more than anything, I'm voicing my opinion of what I expect and/or will tolerate from an MFC player and he has just happened to make himself the prime example.

But for now I'm done pointing out why Robbo is finished, if people don't get it now they never will.

But for now I'm done pointing out why Robbo is finished, if people don't get it now they never will.

I think most, if not all of us agree that Robbo's career is fast coming to an end. That doesn't mean that it gives armchair supporters the right to write-off and tarnish the name of a great player and ambassador of the Melbourne Football Club.

He has given all of us a lot of joy and excitement over the years, he has performed well in big games and finals, and has stood up when required to play as the number one forward, despite obvious size limitations. When offered a tempting 3 year deal from the Dogs, he chose to stay with us, despite the knowledge that he'll retire without a premiership or even another finals appearance.

He is an old-school forward, the type that has never been big on the defensive pressure, and has struggled to adapt to the change. That's a shame, because he could have played on for another 2-3 seasons otherwise, and in the end, he has only himself to blame.

I love Robbo, always have, and I dearly hope that he doesn't play his last few matches with Casey. He is better than that.

Actually being at the game today I feel that I am able to add a more informed opinion on Robbo today than some.

Coburg put a big focus on holding Robbo today(much more than Waite), a very strong and swirling wind blew throughout the game and the service he got was almost invariably lofted kicks that gave him little chance of having a big effect. Robbo spent much of the final quarter up from the goals making contests, one of which he almost cost him what would have been a pretty nasty head clash.

There is the whiff of blood in the water around Robbo right now, but starting to write off his desire and bag him unfair on him and what he may still may be able to offer what will still be a very young list next year.

I think he will get a contract next year and hope that he does, my criticism was his total lack of interest in the first half of the game today. As was pointed out by the commentators, at one stage he just stood there while his team mate was fighting two opposition players for the ball.

He gave the appearance today that he was too good for that level of competition and that shows disrespect to his team mates.

I think most, if not all of us agree that Robbo's career is fast coming to an end. That doesn't mean that it gives armchair supporters the right to write-off and tarnish the name of a great player and ambassador of the Melbourne Football Club.

He has given all of us a lot of joy and excitement over the years, he has performed well in big games and finals, and has stood up when required to play as the number one forward, despite obvious size limitations. When offered a tempting 3 year deal from the Dogs, he chose to stay with us, despite the knowledge that he'll retire without a premiership or even another finals appearance.

He is an old-school forward, the type that has never been big on the defensive pressure, and has struggled to adapt to the change. That's a shame, because he could have played on for another 2-3 seasons otherwise, and in the end, he has only himself to blame.

I love Robbo, always have, and I dearly hope that he doesn't play his last few matches with Casey. He is better than that.

It doesn't? I'd say that I'm allowed to voice my opinion on a player, whatever that may be.

He may have given you great enjoyment, but not me.

I don't see why its ok to write off a player like Newton, but not Robbo because you happen to think he's been a great servant of the club.

I think he's been a great servant of himself.

But you don't seem to like to hear opinions that don't paint Robbo as a hero. Ignorance is bliss, as they say.

The game has not changed as much as you'd like to believe - merely the general football public's awareness of the value of defensive pressure.

Anyway, this is where this topic shall end for me.

Bye Robbo. Thanks.

There is no doubt that this will be Robertson's last year and in hindsight we should have traded him to the doggies when he still had value. I've enjoyed watching him try and take mark of the year everytime the balls gone near him, but I've also been frustrated by so many of the things that he does, or doesn't do.

It's time to now celebrate his career as it winds up, but to suggest that the club owes him anything is nonsense. I have no idea of how much his earnt but I reckon he's done very well for himself, he's also had national exposure for his singing, something I daresay would never have happen if he didn't pull on the boots.

If the club had a choice of a few farewell games for Robo or get some extra gametime into a young forward like Watts then I'd expect the latter, and I'd be pretty [censored] if it was the former.