"I don't lose playing poker"

CARLTON star Brendan Fevola has moved to quash rumours he has a gambling problem.

Fevola, who appeared on The Footy Show last night, requested the topic be raised so he could "put it to bed".

"I play a lot of poker."

"Have I got a problem? No," he said. "I play poker. I love poker. I play a tournament every night. I play on the internet. I don't lose playing poker anyway."

Now..... Mr Fevola....

As you stated last night, you do in fact enjoy playing on-line poker.... And we all know that you are an ambassador for 888 poker (Pacific Poker)

Pacific Poker News

"Pacific Poker ambassadors including Aussie Rules footballer Brendan Fevola (bfevola25) and boxing legend, Jeff Fenech (fenech888) will have a $50 bounty on their heads."

Now.... I have done a little bit of my own research on you Mr Fevola.... With a little help from our friend the internet.

bfevola25

Sit 'n Go games played = 47

Avg Profit = -$27

Total Profit = -$1,293

Now.... From the information I have gathered I can see that you prefer to play Heads Up NL Texas Hold'em (nice choice I might add)

You started off fairly low with a few buy-ins of $5 (9 games)

5 games at $20

2 games at $50

You chasing losses??? :P

Then we sort of hit some high roller style games.... 22 games at $100 buy-in (interesting)

5 games at $200

and 4 games at $400 a pop

Your return on investment is in the negatives Mr Fevola..... Why would you make a silly statement saying you "don't lose"??? :P

I have a funny feeling that the Heads Up game you played at 5pm AEST, before you went on the footy show, might have given a false sense of how good you are..... Yes you did win that $400 heads up match....

I also see that you go through your online games fairly rapidly.... 4 Heads-Up games in 14 minutes last night..... Quick on the All-in I see.... An outlay of $1000 in 14 minutes is extreme in my book :o

Before you go on national television and tell everyone that you don't have a problem and you never lose at poker, you should realise that a wealth of knowledge is available on-line Mr Fevola....

Nb. This is by no means an attack on the man..... And I realise that $1000 to him is like $5 to us... I am just merely pointing out a few facts..... I actually rate him as a footballer....

Nb. This is by no means an attack on the man..... And I realise that $1000 to him is like $5 to us... I am just merely pointing out a few facts..... I actually rate him as a footballer....

so whats the purpose of this post if its not an attack on him?

Guest sticksmorton
I agree. Thought he might have been telling a bit of a porky last night.

those statistic dont take into account cash games!!

he might not lose playing cash games!!

As I said in my post, it is not an attack.... The information is freely available to anyone who knows where to look....

Cash games, as far as I am concerned, are any games which involve cash to buy-in sticksmorton, so he does indeed lose cash games.... He may not lose LIVE games at Crown, Private etc. but I challenge anyone to tell me they do not lose poker games occasionally ;)

The purpose of this post is to have a bit of a laugh.... The bloke is a character of the game and has enough money to not worry about losing the odd thousand here and there.... But to make a statement saying he never loses playing poker is as false as it is funny! :D

If I was a Carlton person I would be a little concerned when one of your superstar players goes on national TV to deny gambling rumours, then blurts out that he loves poker, plays a tournament every night, when asked how much it costs he replies "$3.30"..... Then after a bit of research it is pointed out that he is in fact spending $1000 in 14 mins on internet poker!!

I dare say the boy has a problem..... I don't care if he is winning or not..... :o

No chance.

Charity Poker Event For Bushfire Victims

"888Poker will also have celebrity bounties that players can earn some extra cash through eliminating. 888 ambassadors Brendan Fevola (bfevola25) and Jeff Fenech (fenech888) will be taking part in the tournament"

If there is no chance that he uses that name, then I these guys have a lot to answer for....

Well, at around the same time on TFS he said that Carlton didn't tank in 2007.

Obviously he was on a roll. Both statements have the same relationship to the truth.

Along with "I did not have sexual relations with that woman, MissLewinsky" (Clinton) and "I would say that on the night when she came back to the room she was a willing participant in everything that occurred" (Johns).

Well, at around the same time on TFS he said that Carlton didn't tank in 2007. Obviously he was on a roll. Both statements have the same relationship to the truth.
Yes and he conveniently missed due to Carlton list managing in 2007. He was sent for operation which he also mentioned with a smirk on his face on TFS. Obviously another sign of the truth.

CARLTON star Brendan Fevola has moved to quash rumours he has a gambling problem.

Fevola, who appeared on The Footy Show last night, requested the topic be raised so he could "put it to bed".

"I play a lot of poker."

"Have I got a problem? No," he said. "I play poker. I love poker. I play a tournament every night. I play on the internet. I don't lose playing poker anyway."

Now..... Mr Fevola....

As you stated last night, you do in fact enjoy playing on-line poker.... And we all know that you are an ambassador for 888 poker (Pacific Poker)

Pacific Poker News

"Pacific Poker ambassadors including Aussie Rules footballer Brendan Fevola (bfevola25) and boxing legend, Jeff Fenech (fenech888) will have a $50 bounty on their heads."

Now.... I have done a little bit of my own research on you Mr Fevola.... With a little help from our friend the internet.

bfevola25

Sit 'n Go games played = 47

Avg Profit = -$27

Total Profit = -$1,293

Now.... From the information I have gathered I can see that you prefer to play Heads Up NL Texas Hold'em (nice choice I might add)

You started off fairly low with a few buy-ins of $5 (9 games)

5 games at $20

2 games at $50

You chasing losses??? :P

Then we sort of hit some high roller style games.... 22 games at $100 buy-in (interesting)

5 games at $200

and 4 games at $400 a pop

Your return on investment is in the negatives Mr Fevola..... Why would you make a silly statement saying you "don't lose"??? :P

I have a funny feeling that the Heads Up game you played at 5pm AEST, before you went on the footy show, might have given a false sense of how good you are..... Yes you did win that $400 heads up match....

I also see that you go through your online games fairly rapidly.... 4 Heads-Up games in 14 minutes last night..... Quick on the All-in I see.... An outlay of $1000 in 14 minutes is extreme in my book :o

Before you go on national television and tell everyone that you don't have a problem and you never lose at poker, you should realise that a wealth of knowledge is available on-line Mr Fevola....

who gives a @#$% how you rate him as a footballer,that last paragraph made my skin crawl.only a person with complete delusions of grandiosity would use a pimple on the worlds ass forum to become a pretend investigative journo.

"this is by no means an attack on the man".you [censored],that is the type of talk that has the once great gary lyon acting like a parasite.be honest to yourself about what you are doing,sticking your big nob nose up the crack of a man who has done nothing to you.

"i actually rate him as a footballer"aghhhhhhhhhhhhh [censored].

As a recovering gambling addict, one thing I know Fev needs to be, and that is, honest with himself. I am not saying he has a problem, but I know all too well how out of hand it can get and get that way quickly.

I started betting on sports in about 1998. To begin with it was small bets, at least, realitvely small, $20 here, $50 there. It soon became alot more.

During a six month spell in 2004 I lost $21,000. All of my life savings with about $8,000 worth in credit card debt. I'd like to say I finally came to my senses, but in truth, I just ran out of money and couldn't get my hands on another credit card.

$21,000. Maybe not alot of money to some. But to a guy who was earning about $40,000 a year, it was alot. It took me a few years to pay off the credit cards, and of course, paying off the interest is a horror.

It got bad. I started taking days off work so I could sit at home and bet on the horses or whatever sports were on Foxtel and ESPN. I was staying up nights on end in front of the computer and the TV. I was betting on leagues I knew nothing about. Rubbish like European basketball and various soccer leagues. Whatever was on TV.

The wins were met mostly with mere relief, while the losses were agony. But I couldn't stop myself.

I won't say there weren't highs. I remember round 14 2002. If you ever want to jazz up a Sunday afternoon, get stoned, throw $2,000 down on the Dees to beat Brisbane in Brisbane at odds of $4.80 and watch the boys come back from 5 goals down at half time to win the game. I was out of my brain.

But then there's the losses. I had some big losses. $5,000 was the biggest. Just dumb bets. Probably the dumbest though was back in 1999. I was still going with relatively modest amounts at this time, maybe a few hundred here and there. Round 10 Friday night against Fremantle. The Dees were $1.15 to win. It was a lock in my mind. So I put all of my rent money which was around $600 on the Dees to win, to grab a mere $90 profit. Of course, Tony Modra kicks 10 goals and Freo wins by about 9 goals. Total f$%# up.

I say I am 'recovering' because I still wrestle with it. I've had issues with addiction in the past. Alcohol, various drugs and gambling. When I was younger I got bored of drinking, so added drugs to the mix. Got sick of that so added gambling to the mix. In short, it's a dangerous cocktail.

I still struggle with it but fortunately I have developed some sort of resistance to the urge. An example was the other week. I still take an interest in the odds for the footy (I know I shouldn't it but I like numbers) and I saw the Dees were opening at about $2.16 I think, against the Eagles. It looked good to me. So I think 'ok, I'll throw $20 on it, nah make it $50'. Before I know it I'm thinking $500. But I pull up, I get terrible anxiety thinking about it, give myself a proverbial slap and think better of it.

I rarely drink now. I smoke a joint once or twice a month. And gambling is something I will rarely do. Every now and then I'll go in a $10 FootyQuad with a mate. That's about all I'm interested in. To think of anything more fills me with awful anxiety. And I have one credit card with a $500 limit which helps guard against any stupidity.

Having a great wife helps alot too.

Anyway, like I said, Fev needs to be honest with himself. If his gambling is escalating from $5 games to $50 games to $400 games, then he would want to be careful it doesn't soon become $1000 games and so on.

Anyway, that's my cautionary tale.

I still struggle with it but fortunately I have developed some sort of resistance to the urge. An example was the other week. I still take an interest in the odds for the footy (I know I shouldn't it but I like numbers) and I saw the Dees were opening at about $2.16 I think, against the Eagles. It looked good to me. So I think 'ok, I'll throw $20 on it, nah make it $50'. Before I know it I'm thinking $500.

yeah that was an awesome bet,i doubled my pay.good luck mate

Good post Einstein. And good on you for now being honest with yourself. I was at that game against Freo when Modra kicked 10. Massive upset.

I don't play poker like fev does. I occassionally have a footy quad or a Friday night quater quad with a mate, probably once a month. Any other gambling usually is on the punt around Spring time in melbourne, or a flutter on the Brownlow. A few bets in autumn racing too (Easter Holidays). That's it for me.

As a recovering gambling addict, one thing I know Fev needs to be, and that is, honest with himself. I am not saying he has a problem, but I know all too well how out of hand it can get and get that way quickly.

I started betting on sports in about 1998. To begin with it was small bets, at least, realitvely small, $20 here, $50 there. It soon became alot more.

During a six month spell in 2004 I lost $21,000. All of my life savings with about $8,000 worth in credit card debt. I'd like to say I finally came to my senses, but in truth, I just ran out of money and couldn't get my hands on another credit card.

$21,000. Maybe not alot of money to some. But to a guy who was earning about $40,000 a year, it was alot. It took me a few years to pay off the credit cards, and of course, paying off the interest is a horror.

It got bad. I started taking days off work so I could sit at home and bet on the horses or whatever sports were on Foxtel and ESPN. I was staying up nights on end in front of the computer and the TV. I was betting on leagues I knew nothing about. Rubbish like European basketball and various soccer leagues. Whatever was on TV.

The wins were met mostly with mere relief, while the losses were agony. But I couldn't stop myself.

I won't say there weren't highs. I remember round 14 2002. If you ever want to jazz up a Sunday afternoon, get stoned, throw $2,000 down on the Dees to beat Brisbane in Brisbane at odds of $4.80 and watch the boys come back from 5 goals down at half time to win the game. I was out of my brain.

But then there's the losses. I had some big losses. $5,000 was the biggest. Just dumb bets. Probably the dumbest though was back in 1999. I was still going with relatively modest amounts at this time, maybe a few hundred here and there. Round 10 Friday night against Fremantle. The Dees were $1.15 to win. It was a lock in my mind. So I put all of my rent money which was around $600 on the Dees to win, to grab a mere $90 profit. Of course, Tony Modra kicks 10 goals and Freo wins by about 9 goals. Total f$%# up.

I say I am 'recovering' because I still wrestle with it. I've had issues with addiction in the past. Alcohol, various drugs and gambling. When I was younger I got bored of drinking, so added drugs to the mix. Got sick of that so added gambling to the mix. In short, it's a dangerous cocktail.

I still struggle with it but fortunately I have developed some sort of resistance to the urge. An example was the other week. I still take an interest in the odds for the footy (I know I shouldn't it but I like numbers) and I saw the Dees were opening at about $2.16 I think, against the Eagles. It looked good to me. So I think 'ok, I'll throw $20 on it, nah make it $50'. Before I know it I'm thinking $500. But I pull up, I get terrible anxiety thinking about it, give myself a proverbial slap and think better of it.

I rarely drink now. I smoke a joint once or twice a month. And gambling is something I will rarely do. Every now and then I'll go in a $10 FootyQuad with a mate. That's about all I'm interested in. To think of anything more fills me with awful anxiety. And I have one credit card with a $500 limit which helps guard against any stupidity.

Having a great wife helps alot too.

Anyway, like I said, Fev needs to be honest with himself. If his gambling is escalating from $5 games to $50 games to $400 games, then he would want to be careful it doesn't soon become $1000 games and so on.

Anyway, that's my cautionary tale.

Did You Hear the Ox tell his story to Francis Leach on SEN? If not get a copy & Listen to it. He Lets it all out.

Fev aint a bad Bloke in Reality-Last week he gave a very sick 9 year old 2 Tickets to Disneyland courtesy of "Make a wish".

You should have seen the look on that kids face, Put a tear in my eye.

Thanks for that Einstein.

It is certainly a massive problem and one that I think many people go through silently without other's really being able to see the side effects. How many mate's do we all have who go on about their gambling and you only ever hear about the wins (about 80% of those who go to the races - $200 up on $400 worth of betting).

I myself had saved up $50 (surplus to my needs) last year to put into a betting account. The biggest bet I've put on is $10 and my mates give me a fair ribbing when I get stressed watching a match because one of my million $1 bets looks like bearing fruit (for a win of 80 cents or so). And don't even bring up the dreaded multi for which, after my victorious multi on the weekend, takes me to about 3 wins out of 20 attempts :lol:

It's certainly a dangerous thing and can get out of hand so easily