Team Building

Roost It

Now I know that there's a proliferation of posts on the ins and outs of us winning and the PP but I still thought this was worth it's own thread. I have been and remain a strong advocate of the club only winning 4 games and will be dissapointed if we win more. However having said this today I asked myself 2 questions.

1. Does this club have enough professionalism to produce a team that's capable of winning a premeirship?

2. Are we good enough to win one without Tom Scully?

Let's look at question 1 first.

In the past this has been our biggest failure. We simply lacked the professionalism to win a premeirship. Constant infighting, holding on to players past their use by date, The Junction Oval, no money, inability to develop players regularly to the elite level, failure to attract the right people to the club and hold on to them. All this led to a complete lack of stability. The club continually told us it didn't affect the players but that was and remains a lie.

I think we all agree that the club has made a massive improvement in this area. For the first time in a very long time we stand united, by next year our training facilities will be of an AFL standard, TJ was traded and old players have been let go or are about to be, new sponsors have been secured, Debt Demolitiopn was and will again be a success. We have a sound management team and an ever expanding coaching and conditioning group. All this breeds new confidence in and around our great club. I firmly beleive that without these improvements we could have all the top picks we like and still nothing would come of it.

2. The answer to this question is absolutely we can. Remember folks we already have around 15 top 20 picks on the list. Watts, Grimes, Morton, Frawley, Garland, Warnock, Martin, Bennel, Jurrah, Maric, Wonaeamirri, Blease, Strauss, Sylvia, Davey, Jones, Moloney, Mclean, Jetta, Petterd, Bate, Dunn, Buckley, Bail, McNamara, Cheney, Jamar, Meesen. All these guys are young, some are very young and many will flourish in our club's new facilities and new found stability. Add to this list at least a top 4 pick and another inside the top 20, give them all 3 or 4 years of further development and Tom Scully could well be that great player who plays for ninth spot at Richmond.

As we all know not much is certain in life. One thing that is certain is that this great club is pulling itself together for a real crack at the big time. Read those names, see the improvement, sense the optimism, be part of it.

We are all, at some level, expecting too much from our young group. They will take time, some will make it, some won't, but Tom Scully or not this club is doing everything right at the moment. We are playing with emotion for Big Jim. No one can expect us not to, it would be plain wrong not to. Wins mean we are improving. Let's face it we've been improving all year. 4 bad weeks against opposition on a roll is our only black spot. You can't help good form, it happens.

Yes we can tank and I believe we most likey will but if we don't the future I see is still Red and Blue.

Go Hard you Mighty Demons

Edited by Roost It

Now I know that there's a proliferation of posts on the ins and outs of us winning and the PP but I still thought this was worth it's own thread. I have been and remain a strong advocate of the club only winning 4 games and will be dissapointed if we win more. However having said this today I asked myself 2 questions.

1. Does this club have enough professionalism to produce a team that's capable of winning a premeirship?

2. Are we good enough to win one without Tom Scully?

Let's look at question 1 first.

In the past this has been our biggest failure. We simply lacked the professionalism to win a premeirship. Constant infighting, holding on to players past their use by date, The Junction Oval, no money, inability to develop players regularly to the elite level, failure to attract the right people to the club and hold on to them. All this led to a complete lack of stability. The club continually told us it didn't affect the players but that was and remains a lie.

I think we all agree that the club has made a massive improvement in this area. For the first time in a very long time we stand united, by next year our training facilities will be of an AFL standard, TJ was traded and old players have been let go or are about to be, new sponsors have been secured, Debt Demolitiopn was and will again be a success. We have a sound management team and an ever expanding coaching and conditioning group. All this breeds new confidence in and around our great club. I firmly beleive that without these improvements we could have all the top picks we like and still nothing would come of it.

2. The answer to this question is absolutely we can. Remember folks we already have around 15 top 20 picks on the list. Watts, Grimes, Morton, Frawley, Garland, Warnock, Martin, Bennel, Jurrah, Maric, Wonaeamirri, Blease, Strauss, Sylvia, Davey, Jones, Moloney, Mclean, Jetta, Petterd, Bate, Dunn, Buckley, Bail, McNamara, Cheney, Jamar, Meesen. All these guys are young, some are very young and many will flourish in our club's new facilities and new found stability. Add to this list at least a top 4 pick and another inside the top 20, give them all 3 or 4 years of further development and Tom Scully could well be that great player who plays for ninth spot at Richmond.

As we all know not much is certain in life. One thing that is certain is that this great club is pulling itself together for a real crack at the big time. Read those names, see the improvement, sense the optimism, be part of it.

We are all, at some level, expecting too much from our young group. They will take time, some will make it, some won't, but Tom Scully or not this club is doing everything right at the moment. We are playing with emotion for Big Jim. No one can expect us not to, it would be plain wrong not to. Wins mean we are improving. Let's face it we've been improving all year. 4 bad weeks against opposition on a roll is our only black spot. You can't help good form, it happens.

Yes we can tank and I believe we most likey will but if we don't the future I see is still Red and Blue.

Neil Danihers era at the MFC never involved a rebuilding stage - Quite fatal really. AFL football is a big cycle, you must go down to come back up. I'm glad of these years of pain because its eventually shown us the way forward.

A young exciting coach, ousting all old and out-of-date players, new pre-season base and most importantly lots of exciting talent into the club. Not to mension sponsorship boosts, new CEO, debt demolition and numerous other off field positives. The club is now going forward. I dont think Scully will be the difference between winning and not winning a Premiership, but we all know he's the classy midfielder the MFC have been lacking. I think he's a top prospect and will develop into an elite midfielder but I wont be as dissapointed as some should we not get him.

Good post R.I, and Go Dees!

Edited by Beamer

The back of house stuff seems to be coming under control, which is great.

Now we have to to keep developing the list and the players on it. As it turns out Jimmy's sickness has given the boys a reason to play which is what you would expect from them. The only thing to do know is to keep playing the game. If we win and end up with picks 3/4 and 18/19 so be it. They'll be talented players who if developed well will join our list and help our club back to the top. Carlton are the most obvious tankers and they don't have what it takes and they have been shite for 7 years. Draft picks are not the answer, development and sound player management is.

The Football Gods are beginning to shine on our mighty club.

Great post and valid points, but for me the harsh reality is that we don't have the class, particularly in the midfield to compete in the top echelon.

Im guessing your forgetting Geelong. One of the best teams to go round and when did they bottom out??

From 2001-03 Geelong finished twelfth, ninth and twelfth respectively. During which time they picked up Gary Ablett Jnr, Paul Chapman, Jimmy Bartel, Joel Corey, James Kelly and Ottens in 2004.

Geelong didn't completely bottom out, but they did have a rebuilding phase.

Im guessing your forgetting Geelong. One of the best teams to go round and when did they bottom out??

2001 and 2003 they finished 12th but had a stronger base then than what we have now.

sorry Beamer, great minds and all that.

Edited by dandeeman

and 98 and 99 they finished 12th and 11th.

Thompson completely rolled the list in his early years. He has a string of first round picks that have come on brilliant and he has unbelievable father son picks Scarlett (multiple AAs), Ablett (elite star), Blake (ruck), N Ablett (premiership forward).

From 2001-03 Geelong finished twelfth, ninth and twelfth respectively. During which time they picked up Gary Ablett Jnr, Paul Chapman, Jimmy Bartel, Joel Corey, James Kelly and Ottens in 2004.

Geelong didn't completely bottom out, but they did have a rebuilding phase.

geelong were shite for the best part of a decade, as well as getting the AFL's #1 player through father son.

the benefit of winning 4 games or less is much much much greater than winning games of footy in 2009. All the club has to do and will do is play youth, and i would still expect every player go out on the field and give 100% only thing is the more mature team will beat us, send all the players with niggles to surgery or rest and play youth, youth, and youth.

PS. Sheehan said on the coach that the administration does not want us to win another two games