THE LUCK OF THE BOUNCE

Demonland

THE LUCK OF THE BOUNCE by KC from Casey

History is starting to repeat itself for the Casey Scorpions. As has been the case on a number of occasions already this year, they again had a big scalp in their grasp on Saturday at Point Gellibrand against Williamstown and again they allowed it to slip away with some careless play and crucial skill errors. This time they fell by four points after leading for most of the second half and at one stage in the third quarter they were almost seven goals in front.

The problems started for the Scorpions in the first quarter when they dominated the general play but couldn't buy a goal. They did however, manage to amass seven points but allowed the Seagulls' Declan Stack to slip away for two goals in mid quarter so that the scoreboard embarrassingly gave the home side a xx point lead despite having double the number of entries inside the fifty metre arc, a fact that would come back to bite them hard later in the game. Casey lifted its intensity in front of goals in the second quarter with a couple of quick goals to Shane Valenti and Addam Maric to momentarily grab the lead but it was short-lived as the home side regained its composure. Late in the quarter the momentum started swinging back to the visitors when disaster struck. Maric, who is usually a straight shooter, marked 15 metres out and was poised to put the team in front when he kicked into the man on the mark. On the rebound the Seagulls moved the ball the whole length of the ground to goal and, though the Scorpions were to get one back through Lynden Dunn, the two goal turn around was to prove decisive later in the game.

After the break Casey showed it was capable of producing a high standard of football. The forwards started hitting their targets and skipper Kyle Matthews, clearly inconvenienced by injury, were inspirational. He kicked one himself and had a hand in a few others. Newton ran in for a couple of opportunist goals and Daniel Hughes was also lively up forward. When James Strauss bounded through the centre square and goaled with a long, straight kick at the 21 minute mark, Casey's lead was closing in on seven goals.

The Scorpions were winning all over the ground. Recruits Peter Faulks and Michael Stockdale were impressive, James Wall and Alex Silvagni were playing their usual strong games and Clint Bartram was blanketing Seagull skipper Brett Johnson. Even a late Willy goal was not enough to dampen the spirits as Casey took a 35 point lead into the final break.

However, coach Peter German was wary of underestimating the opposition when he addressed the players at the huddle warning them not to take any notice of the scoreboard. Unfortunately, they failed to take any notice because they allowed Williamstown to kick a couple of quick goals and the uncertainty began to creep into their game. A goal to Newton appeared to steady the ship but the Seagulls kept coming and the Scorpions kept on making skill errors and needlessly turning over the football. Silvagni made some uncharacteristic errors kicking off and the team missed their skipper who was by now off the ground.

Willy struck at the 29 minute mark to take back the lead for the first time since the early moments of the third quarter and then Casey was hit by the irony of their day when Hughes broke away from a pack and the luck of the bounce of the ball from the kick that decided his team's fate went the wrong way. The Seagulls were home by four points.

The only good news for the day was that the Scorpions held their place in the top eight, courtesy of the fact that Coburg was thrashed by Sandringham.

HOW THE DEMONS FARED

Rohan Bail - there was nothing special on show from the Queenslander who celebrated his 21st birthday this week. When he came down after the draft, he had a reputation as a running player but didn't show it in this game.

Clint Bartram - played one of his better games this week and held dangerous Seagulls' skipper Brett Johnson. His disposal and decision-making were both much better this week.

Daniel Bell - after a shaky start and some early errors, Bell worked his way back into the game with some strong, hard tackling and even produced some creative handball to set up some good forward moves.

Kyle Cheney - gave Stack too much latitude early in the game and this proved very costly in the final analysis. Regained his composure for the second and third quarters and took some strong safe marks and, at times, showed out with some strength in defence.

Lynden Dunn - had another good day apart from missing some vital shots at goal in the early going. Too good for this level and due for a call up against the Eagles next week.

Daniel Hughes - under size for a key position but has a good pair of hands and has obviously put a lot of work on his pace and fitness. A big improver.

Addam Maric - injured his shoulder early on looked to be labouring under some discomfort. Kicked a nice goal, fluffed a shot when he kicked into the man on the mark, had a hand in some goals but generally didn't do enough.

Jordie McKenzie - not as clean in the packs as he has been in earlier in the season and didn't attack the ball as well as he has in past games. Spent a lot of time on the interchange bench.

Michael Newton - we've tended to be hard on Newton because he showed a lot of potential early on and hasn't produced the goods to date. A few easy missed shots stood between him covering himself and his team with glory. He is working a lot harder these days and his 3.3 for the day might just be enough to get him back into a Demon guernsey.

James Strauss - quiet early but pressed with his neat crisp disposal once his game under way. His long goal on the run in the third quarter was a gem.

Shane Valenti - played another of his trademark hard, in and under games that is well suited to this competition but some feel won't fly at AFL level. Since he shows an uncompromising commitment for the football he deserves a chance, if only to set an example to those who have supposedly better credentials but aren't producing much these days.

Paul Wheatley - showed his experience with a few good runs out of defence but he clearly hasn't had enough preparation due to his injuries and he desperately needs a lot more match practice.

Trent Zomer - kicked a goal but otherwise struggled to impose himself on the game.

Casey Scorpions 0.7.7 4.10.34 11.13.79 12.14.86

Williamstown 2.4.16 5.6.36 6.8.44 13.12.90

Goals

Casey Scorpions Newton 3 Hughes 2 Dunn Maric Matthews Stockdale Strauss Valenti Zomer

Williamstown Little 4 Stack 3 Cordy Davies Everitt O'Keefe Reid Stretton

Best

Casey Scorpions Bell Faulks Valenti Panozza Wheatley Bartram

Williamstown Callan Davies Addison Reid Gotch Everitt

Casey Reserves were competitive against top team Williamstown and trailled by only 11 points at half time but were swamped in the second to go down by 46 points. Glenn Chivers, David Collins and Luke Williams have all been consistent performers this year and were the team's best while Ben Waite booted three goals.

Casey Scorpions 4.2.26 9.4.58 11.6.72 14.9.93

Williamstown 7.3.45 10.9.69 13.17.95 19.25.139

Goals

Casey Scorpions Waite 3 Dean Scanlon 2 Chivers Clay Mildren Oldmeadow Matheson Virtue Williams

Williamstown Joyce 3 Cravino Egan Georgiadis Grossman Jones Lynch Meyer 2 Cartelli White

Best

Casey Scorpions Chivers Collins Williams Blaser Lees Snow

Williamstown Wood Cravino Cartelli Boumann Shaw Lynch

Thanks for the report KC but, from the look of it, there doesn't seem to be much joy for the MFC in those at Casey. Maric and Strauss look prospects ... maybe Hughes but otherwise we would only be doing more recycling if we drew from this well.

Has Hughes been promoted off the rookie list?

Will we ever play hughes???????? If he doesnt get a chance this year he will be delisted.

I'm with you on this one. I fail to see why the club would give him a 2nd chance on the rookie list as a 21/22-year-old unless they thought he was good and would be seriously pushing for senior selection this year.

This year's all about finding out about the capabilities of the players on our list. Many have been tried without success, others have shown they have a future. If Hughes doesn't get a game, we will never really know where he would have fit in. FWIW, i think he would be far more useful an option up forward than someone like Dunn or even Robbo. He's got pace, a good kick, strong mark and leap, and unlike Robbo, does all the defensive and team things a modern forward should do.

What have we got to lose by playing him? I really hope he gets a few games before the year is out.

Some of Hughes' second efforts and pressure were outstanding on Saturday, from close up at the game as I was I didnt realise how hard he worked. However I dont know if he'll have the size and engine to be able to make that step up to senior AFL level, to me he's a forward version of Valenti, clearly loads of talent and application, but lacking size and speed to be able to make it...

Apologies if I'm going over old ground but can anyone shed any light on Pierce Liddle (or whatever his name is). Is he playing, injured, homesick?

Trying to find out the same thing. He was playing pretty well earlier in the season but then dropped back to the Casey 2's now looks like he is battling to get a run in the 2's...

KC or anyone else from Casey got any updates on him?

Some of Hughes' second efforts and pressure were outstanding on Saturday, from close up at the game as I was I didnt realise how hard he worked. However I dont know if he'll have the size and engine to be able to make that step up to senior AFL level, to me he's a forward version of Valenti, clearly loads of talent and application, but lacking size and speed to be able to make it...

How good was his bump then the hands off!! Looked great!

From what i've seen, read and heard about Hughes since he first came to the club in '06, athleticism is one of his strengths (unlike Valenti). His leap is exceptional and he's supposedly one of the quicker guys at the club. Peter German has made note of his great endurance and ability to run opponents ragged a few times this season, so engine shouldn't really be a problem for him. Apparently he was sick with the flu all week and could barely train prior to the Williamstown match, so that may have taken it's toll on his stamina and pace on Saturday.

His size is something more of an issue because, like Robbo, with his leap and strong marking, he tends to be used as a marking target a lot, despite being just 186cm. However, unlike undersized KPP's like Robbo or Bate, his agility at ground level is good and he plays small and crumbs as well. As you already pointed out, his defensive pressure and second efforts were outstanding, and he looks like he's always trying to get "into the game", with one-percenters, blocks, tackles etc, even when things aren't going well up forward.

The major issues with Danny over the last 3 years have been his ability to stay injury-free, and a very light build when he first arrived at the club. He seems to have got his body right this year, gained some kilos and has the build to withstand the rigours of AFL, and is playing consistent good footy at Casey. Time to give him his chance now i say. I reckon if that snap at goal in the dying minutes had bounced the right way and he won the match for Casey, he'd be a shoe-in for debut this week. He's quite likely to have more of an immediate impact than JW or LJ, because he is no longer physcially immature, and Robbo to me looks like he's lost his 'spark'. I know i'd rather see Hughes played forward than Dunn or Newton, who've had opportunity in the past to perform at AFL level and failed miserably.