Scully's the man

rodent killer

Exciting prospect.

Its been a long long time since we have had a genuinely dominant A Grade midfielder which Scully could possibly be. Woewodin at his peak is probably the last one we have had. And that was short lived.

I wouldnt mind taking 2 midfielders with the top 2 picks and hoping Watts and Jurrah and be our key forwards with either Newton or Garland developing into another one. we need midfield class!

Exciting prospect.

Its been a long long time since we have had a genuinely dominant A Grade midfielder which Scully could possibly be. Woewodin at his peak is probably the last one we have had. And that was short lived.

I wouldnt mind taking 2 midfielders with the top 2 picks and hoping Watts and Jurrah and be our key forwards with either Newton or Garland developing into another one. we need midfield class!

Anyone remember the hype surrounding McLean and Sylvia ,who both dominated TAC competitions ,but have failed to reach dominant levels in senior company ?

INeteresting what is says about butcher... Might be a big slider..

But it is to far away still to worry about any of this!!

Sylvia is starting to show that dominance now, mclean was in 06 and has been hampered by injury. A little sick of everyone having a crack at these two.

Get use to it PeterJames.

Sylvia has not played consistent football until this year.

Mclean played some great football in 06 and has not done a pre season since but cops it from I'd say 75% of the posters on here who must have thought he was Voss in disguise.

Who else thinks we wont win another game this year? I think scully is a shoe in. North have a new coach, starting to get their senior players back in. Freo are playing good footy. West coast should have beaten richmond here, i was at the game but like us couldnt get the ball inside 50 effectively.

Just a reminder that we've only just passed the halfway mark of the season and the team is concentrating on winning every game. We haven't finished last yet so don't take it for granted Scully wil play in our colours next year.

You have seen the last 2 games haven't you ? we wouldn't have beaten Hampton Rovers but having said that our run home has about 4 winnable games against North, WC, Freo and Rich

Anyone remember the hype surrounding McLean and Sylvia ,who both dominated TAC competitions ,but have failed to reach dominant levels in senior company ?

The number 1 pick that year was Cooney, he won a brownlow, enough said!

The number 1 pick that year was Cooney, he won a brownlow, enough said!

also will be remembered as one of the worst drafts ever imo, cooney being the excetion due to the brownlow.

mclean and sylvia have a lot of ground to make up if they want to put that draft on record as being reasonable.

that being said, if mclean is currently in doubt for a full preseason now, why don't they rest him for the next 10 weeks? get him right, because he is no good to anyone playing at 50%, if he really is carrying injuries.

Roost is correct.

Neither Sylvia or McLean were hyped as a probable no. 1 pick. Judkins rated McLean, but there were many recruiters and watchers such as Wisbey, that didn't have McLean as a first rounder. Cooney was always a lock as no. 1, much like Scully is this year.

If he becomes a Dee, by the end of his first year he'll be our best mid. And it could be a lot sooner than that. Right now he'd be a starting 18 player - and we'd be better for it.

There was never alot of hype over McLean, in fact there were many raised eyebrows when we took him at pick 5. The majority of the footballing world had Keplar Bradley and Kane Tenance well before him. I remember most Melbourne fans were desperate to get the speedy Tenace...

Most had McLean just scraping into the top 10.

If he becomes a Dee, by the end of his first year he'll be our best mid. And it could be a lot sooner than that. Right now he'd be a starting 18 player - and we'd be better for it.

you reckon scully will be that important immediately?

do you think the addition of scully to our midfield could turn aroud its current performances? We seem to have ok players there but none that are standouts. Do you think one player could make a difference or would he be destined to star in an average midfield?

i haven't seen him so i can't really judge.

Sylvia is starting to show that dominance now, mclean was in 06 and has been hampered by injury. A little sick of everyone having a crack at these two.

Thankyou Peter I provided a post pointing out why Mclean is struggling but was shot down. Last time I ever post using my link to the club on here.

whoa, he looks like Josh Fraser

But with hair!

After Butcher's comments regarding not wanting to go to a side that tanks, he's probably tanking himself not to get picked early by those sides considered tanking! - Only kidding...no one tanks....what am I thinking!

that being said, if mclean is currently in doubt for a full preseason now, why don't they rest him for the next 10 weeks? get him right, because he is no good to anyone playing at 50%, if he really is carrying injuries.

That's what I said earlier on a thread, if the rumours are true...let's get him right so he can go into a full preseason. It's a no brainer. Then get Dunn into the side or Bell or whoever... .

There was never alot of hype over McLean, in fact there were many raised eyebrows when we took him at pick 5. The majority of the footballing world had Keplar Bradley and Kane Tenance well before him. I remember most Melbourne fans were desperate to get the speedy Tenace...

Most had McLean just scraping into the top 10.

TBH I'm happy with McLean than those two mentioned in Bradley & Tenace.

you reckon scully will be that important immediately?

do you think the addition of scully to our midfield could turn aroud its current performances? We seem to have ok players there but none that are standouts. Do you think one player could make a difference or would he be destined to star in an average midfield?

i haven't seen him so i can't really judge.

I think so. A mixture of Power/Black. Left footer. He's a standout. A real BlueChip, he will make a difference and he will star in an average midfield. Don't forget we've got Blease on the list. All the sudden an 'average midfield' wouldn't be so average with an inclusion like Scully and Blease.

Cheers HT, but I am wondering about the immediate impact. I mean we know that blease and strauss could/should be good mids, but wondering whether we expect them to have much of an impact (scully included) next year or the year after? unfortunately we really need leaders, older heads, consistance, and lift. all traits that you cannot expect from 18,19,20 year olds. hopefully we can see it from sylvia and mclean the next couple of years when these exciting youngsters start to come through into the senior ranks so that their skills can be balanced by the others.

whoa, he looks like Josh Fraser

You mean Lauren Jackson?

It gets a lot of laughs when I call him that at the footy, but every time I do I feel so sorry for Lauren.

Cheers HT, but I am wondering about the immediate impact. I mean we know that blease and strauss could/should be good mids, but wondering whether we expect them to have much of an impact (scully included) next year or the year after? unfortunately we really need leaders, older heads, consistance, and lift. all traits that you cannot expect from 18,19,20 year olds. hopefully we can see it from sylvia and mclean the next couple of years when these exciting youngsters start to come through into the senior ranks so that their skills can be balanced by the others.

Ok. I'm only guestimating here, but - if drafted - he more than likely would have the same immediate impact, if not more than the likes of Rich or Zeibell at North this year. Or like Palmer at Freo last year.

Sorry, whats this? Butcher not clear No. 2 ??

No way, really?

1. Scully

2. Trengove

3. Fitzpatrick

4. Morabito

5. Lucas

6. Maybe Butcher if he's lucky

Allen Christensen, Gysberts & Koby Stevens need to be in there somewhere, but I can't tell where yet

Sorry, whats this? Butcher not clear No. 2 ??

No way, really?

1. Scully

2. Trengove

3. Fitzpatrick

4. Morabito

5. Lucas

6. Maybe Butcher if he's lucky

Allen Christensen, Gysberts & Koby Stevens need to be in there somewhere, but I can't tell where yet

IMO I would definitely have Butcher ahead of Fitzpatrick. I'd have Morabito ahead of Fitzpatrick too. It's still early days.