Give Juice a Chance

w00dy

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Juice has had ample chances to show something and i suspect he has just about done his dash.

He may have only one more chance if his VFL form warrants and Kicking 2 goals aint enough.

Jurrah has kicked four in the last few weeks and is already looking more impressive.

The simple fact in AFL once your in, you need to take your chances. If you go in and out of the side your days are numbered.

Ie> Newton, Dunn, Miller.

Look at Grimes take his chance and run with it.

Maybe we should trade for McGuire (Saints) who is 25 i think and been playing well but cant break back into the Saints.

Firstly you consider 2 games (including our only win) this season as his chance? That's it, that's all he gets? Our forward line looked far more functional with him in it. He played a bad game (not as bad as everyone made out IMO), got dropped, had good form since, whilst our forward line is still a shambles, and you say he's had his chance? With still another season to run on his contract?

You say you need to take your chances at AFL level, and mention Miller and Dunn? Have those guys taken their chances? Not really. How many games have they played?

Then you compare him to Grimes? Grimes is playing as a medium sized defender. Totally different beast to playing full forward in a side with the least amount of inside 50's in the comp.

Now you want to trade him for a 25 year old, injury prone defender? Defenders, we have an abundance of, forwards we do not...

If you apply the same standards, Miller shouldn't have a guaranteed spot in the seniors as you suggest.

You're overly critical of Newton. He missed a substantial part of last season through innjury, and to suggest that he showed nothing in the meagre 2 senior games he has been given this season, is unfair.

I'm not sure if Newton will make at AFL level, but we'll never know unless the coaching dept. show some confidence in him, and give him an extended run in the seniors.

I agree and Miller being someone who has experience is basically the only criteria for getting a game

Miller IMO is far too hot and cold for my liking and experienced players shouldnt be

Newton,s only saving grace is his contract IMO

You are not convinced he will make it either yet are still wanting more gametime suggests your willing to play second best

When he gets a game then i know Bailey is tanking :P

If Newton was really looking deserving of an AFL berth on merit he would be cutting the VFL up. Its his 5th year on the list and three years ago I saw him at Sandy perform talented cameos then combine that with gob smacking brain fades. Whatever his talent and the delivery of that has been muted and compromised by an attitude that fluctations in borderline maturity and oscillates between no confidence and playing like a selfish millionaire.

I did not see him Saturday but from all reports Newton's petulance and his penchant for lairising was again prominent. (FWIW, he is the last player that should being doing so after Robbo.) The misguided attacks on George's frustration with Newton completely miss the point.

The injury to Robbo, the retirement of Neitz, the failings of the MFC forward line have provided Newton with an opportunity on a platter to make it in AFL. He has shown over the past two years that he does not get what it takes to be an AFL footballer and by his performance on the weekend is not much closer to getting it either.

........and to suggest that he showed nothing in the meagre 2 senior games he has been given this season, is unfair.

Mo, to be 'fair', this is what Newton did show......

..... all reports Newton's petulance and his penchant for lairising was again prominent.

I'm not sure if Newton will make at AFL level, but we'll never know unless the coaching dept. show some confidence in him, and give him an extended run in the seniors.

I'm not sure they have the confidence in him mo. But that's not to say he won't be given one last chance. But he must warrant selection.

If Newton was really looking deserving of an AFL berth on merit he would be cutting the VFL up. Its his 5th year on the list and three years ago I saw him at Sandy perform talented cameos then combine that with gob smacking brain fades. Whatever his talent and the delivery of that has been muted and compromised by an attitude that fluctations in borderline maturity and oscillates between no confidence and playing like a selfish millionaire.

I did not see him Saturday but from all reports Newton's petulance and his penchant for lairising was again prominent. (FWIW, he is the last player that should being doing so after Robbo.) The misguided attacks on George's frustration with Newton completely miss the point.

The injury to Robbo, the retirement of Neitz, the failings of the MFC forward line have provided Newton with an opportunity on a platter to make it in AFL. He has shown over the past two years that he does not get what it takes to be an AFL footballer and by his performance on the weekend is not much closer to getting it either.

Would struggle to agree more.

If Newton was really looking deserving of an AFL berth on merit he would be cutting the VFL up. ..[cut]..

I did not see him Saturday but from all reports Newton's petulance and his penchant for lairising was again prominent. ..[cut]..

..[cut].. He has shown over the past two years that he does not get what it takes to be an AFL footballer and by his performance on the weekend is not much closer to getting it either.

And therein lies the problem. Here's what German had to say about Newtons game:

"Michael Newton – 'Juice' was good, but he's set a pretty high standard in the past three weeks with his work-rate, offensively and defensively. He led a bit wide at times and could've kicked three goals, so he's still got to make the most of his opportunities. At least he gives us a good target forward and he has improved."

Not a glowing endorsement, but far from that quoted above and an endorsement nonetheless.

Speaking of tearing it up for promotion, can I throw up the players will be given a decent run and won't be dropped after one or two games? Great ideals but not neccessarily the reality.

NEWTON IS GONE

he has been in the system for 4 years

andwhat has he shown

HOW MANY MORE CHANCES DO WE GIVE HIM

IV SED IT ONCE ILL SAY IT AGAIN

HE IS NOT AT AFL LEVEL

HE is amerely a good vfl player

OUT with the old in with the new

HE was given the chance to proove himself numerous times - HE DIDNT

I can't wait for Juice to prove everyone wrong... The worrying thing, i'm not sure any of you will be happy when he does, such has been the vendetta against this guy...

Me too vanlo.

And if he doesn't prove everyone wrong there will still be die hards like you that just wont to believe it be otherwise.

I can't wait for Juice to prove everyone wrong... The worrying thing, i'm not sure any of you will be happy when he does, such has been the vendetta against this guy...

I think many players will prove themselves before Juice realizes what's going on. He has had ample opportunities so far. How many more does he expect?

I really can't see juice playing in september...But if he does, i will cheer him for sure...

It won't happen though.......

And if he doesn't prove everyone wrong there will still be die hards like you that just wont to believe it be otherwise.

I'd hardly call myself a die hard. The whole point of this thread is that, he should be given more opportunities... Cynics like yourself write players off far too early...

How many people wanted to trade Sylvia, now he's the favourite son around here.

I'd hardly call myself a die hard. The whole point of this thread is that, he should be given more opportunities... Cynics like yourself write players off far too early...

You make a very good point, As much as I hate to say it robbo might have to be the one to make space at times in the 2nd half of the year for LJ and MN. When does robbos contract run out?

so you expect a full forward to get 27 posessions a game? he's been averaging 15 the last 5 games, and getting up to 20 posies. Yes his kicking for goal isn't great, but we've seen a lot of great players have problems in front of the big sticks. That alone shouldn't exclude him from playing for Melbourne.

And he wasn't given many chances, he was given 2 games, and our forward line looked far more dangerous with him in it. On a shocking night for forwards, in a shocking game of football, he had 3 shots on goal. More than any other player on the ground. He should've kicked 2.1, he kicked 0.3, laid 4 tackles, and he got dropped. Miller and Bate did nothing that game either, but Juice was the scapegoat.

I think we're all expecting too much from Robbo, he was fantastic when playing next to Neitz, and he had games were he kicked bags holding down full forward on his own, but at his age, with where the team is at, I don't think he's up to it at full forward, and I can't see the club getting anything positive out of playing him at full forward. Put Juice at full forward, Robbo in the pocket.

here here

Why?

What has he shown to date?

He has been given the opportunity on a veritable platter over the last 2 and 1/2 years and has done little to reflect that he can actually cut it AFL level.

He was gifted a 2 year contract last year because the options are so meagre up forward and he still cant show at VFL level that he can cut it at a higher standard

More fool them. They would not have got anything for a bloke who is injury prone for most of his career (and still is).

If Newton showed a mere slither of what Sylvia has shown in the last month, he might get a few more accolades around. Its the worst case of chalk and cheese around. Both have been given ample opportunity. One player despite managing a persistent OP condition and past misdemeanours si now taken the opportunity before him. The other one is...la..de..da..de..da

Dont hold your breath.

You make a very good point, As much as I hate to say it robbo might have to be the one to make space at times in the 2nd half of the year for LJ and MN. When does robbos contract run out?

FMD. You are going pretty poorly if a clowning footballer in his twilight and barely cutting the standard is holding an even lesser player back like Newton. Robbo was missing for 12 months with injury and Newton achieved what??

Robbo's contract expires this year.

Jurrah might just pass Newton by. However there is room in the forward line for both if they perform.

FMD. You are going pretty poorly if a clowning footballer in his twilight and barely cutting the standard is holding an even lesser player back like Newton.

Where are we on the ladder again?

Gota get games into the young players including MN

THATS the thing hes been given ample opportunity to PROVE US wrong

it is not a vendetta = its COLD HARD REALITY that the juice lovers out there should accept

hes not fit for AFL

So we really should have delisted Sylvia long ago, right? Ample opportunity. Not fit for AFL.

Games..Kicks...Marks...H.Balls..Disp....Goals..Bhd...H.O....Tack..FrF....FrA

19........135......66........56........191.....9.........5......2 .......27.....11....16 - Sylvia first 19 games

18........137......75........35........172.....25.......21....6 ........34.....23....18 - Newton first 18 games

Where are we on the ladder again?

Gota get games into the young players including MN

Exactly.

So why doesn't he perform at VFL level and earn the chance? Its absolute carp to think Robbo is blocking anyone's path to the AFL.

Talk about having the opportunity to grab. And Newton's too immature to address it